Worst Character In Cinema Ever?

HatorianHatorian Dagobah
edited November 23 in General
So want to ask the BM family who they think is the worst character either in a movie or TV show. So ground rules. 

1. Villains don’t count as worst just by default. They need to suck for reasons outside of being a bad guy.
2. Underdeveloped characters don’t count. They need to have a clear story and background and at least play some important part in the story. 
3. The reason this character sucks his because of things they do in the movie/show. Actions or decisions they make that makes you pissed and shake your head
4. EDIT: also don’t include the “I’m a good guy now I’m bad twist” IE the standard double switch. 

So with that being said my choice is Upham from Saving Private Ryan. He is literally responsible for 3 main character deaths. He lets the German go that ends up killing Captain Miller, he doesn’t help the machine gun crew and Melish who gets stabbed to death while he waits outside. Every time I watch SPR I hope the movie somehow changes so that he doesn’t get half the squad killed. 

CapeGabeJaimieTNoel

Comments

• HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    Sorry to end the thread now, but it's Jar Jar Binks. There are no other answers. He is the worst character by any metric.
    HatorianCapeGabehisdudeness915DoubleA_RonMurderbearJoshuaHeterBroRad33duncanpowerssassyfontaine
  •  Hunkulese said:
    Sorry to end the thread now, but it's Jar Jar Binks. There are no other answers. He is the worst character by any metric.
    Hunkulese said:
    Touché....I concede....although my kids do like him. It’s hard to argue he’s not the worst 
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    Hatorian said:
     Hunkulese said:
    Hunkulese said:
    Touché....I concede....although my kids do like him. It’s hard to argue he’s not the worst 
    Hahaha, one of the arguments that I was going to make if you wanted me to defend my pick was that even kids don't like him.
    Hatoriansassyfontaine
  • Hunkulese said:
    Yeah, that’s what I came here to say.
    Hatorian
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited November 23
    I like this question because it forced me to dig deep. I opened my Vudu account and scanned through my movies. I was trying to remember a character I hated.

So, the strongest reaction I had was to The Duchess. Ralph Fiennes plays a quintessential "man" in a movie about the confines that the patriarchy puts women into. He is suffocating... just the worst. But he's not the villain, because at times he's rendered sympathetically. It's clear he considers his wife his child-thing, while seeing she's more than that, but he can hold this dissonance in his mind because society is doing nothing to push him to do better. He gets to decide if he wants to see women as equals, or to ignore it. Equality is a hobby he might take up. He chooses not to. I want him to die and yet I know there'd just be another man taking his place if he did.

But worst in cinema ever? I mean I don't think a movie about sexism is making a "in cinema ever" list anytime soon but it pisses me off so...

Hatorian
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited November 23
    One that comes to mind is Jared Leto as Harry Goldfarb in Requiem for a Dream.   He starts out as a caring son but decends into being a junkie who isn't beneath doing just about anything - including stealing from his mother and selling out his girlfriend - for his next fix.  This might qualify him as a villain, but you see moments where you believe that if not for the drugs, he would truly have a chance at a healthy relationship with those closest to him.   You want him to get clean and win, but you just continue to watch his downward spiral *literally* at his own hand, and it's hard to be sympathetic.

JaimieTMurderbear
  • #FuckChuck. Upham is probably my real answer though too.
    Hatorian
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited November 23
    Herc from The Wire can go fuck himself. He is literally responsible for an old lady getting burnt alive in her own home.
    rkcrawf
  • Michelle said:
    One that comes to mind is Jared Leto as Harry Goldfarb in Requiem for a Dream.   He starts out as a caring son but decends into being a junkie who isn't beneath doing just about anything - including stealing from his mother and selling out his girlfriend - for his next fix.  This might qualify him as a villain, but you see moments where you believe that if not for the drugs, he would truly have a chance at a healthy relationship with those closest to him.   You want him to get clean and win, but you just continue to watch his downward spiral *literally* at his own hand, and it's hard to be sympathetic.

Requiem first a dream is a masterpiece in cinema and to this day still gets homages such as the blood in the veins, the eyes dilating, etc. 

It’s interesting you choose that character because the movie is so hauntingly beautiful and well made but you are absolutely right that this is a character you can just hate with every bone in your body. 

Maybe I shouldn’t say Worst Character. I should say the most hated piece of shit character. 
    Michelle
  • *I* for one... am going to withhold judgment on Jar Jar for now. As unlikely as it is, he’s got one more chance to come back and redeem himself.

I’ll revisit this issue in December.
    JaimieTbazjenster
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited November 24
    Also as a young sibling that watched things like this happen in real life it’s heartbreaking. I cry every time I watch Reqeuim. And I only watch it every few years because how hard it hurts and fits at home. 

The junkie kid making his parents feel bad. Doing shitty stuff to the family to get their fix. The master manipulator. They are so good at manipulating people to do what they want. Whether it’s give them money or food or something else. They have an amazing ability to switch personalities from junkie to “I just need help please”

I remember one night when I was 14 and had my first job. Had a few $100 in my wallet from working. My brother slowly opens the door while he thinks I’m sleeping and I watch him quietly go to my wallet on my desk to take money. I stood up and said get the fuck out. 

Years later our grandma got ill and had to move in to our house. My brother would do the same thing. After everyone feel asleep he went into her room and stole whatever he could. 

It got so bad that my brother and his junkie friends started robbing gas stations. One particular case they robbed a gas station near hour house and attempted to try and hide at our house. I’m sleeping in my bed and my door gets knocked in and I sit up to 2 police officers holding guns to my body. I’m in a daze while police are screaming stay the fuck down. Don’t move. Is there anyone else in your room? They end up finding my brother and his friend hiding in a closet in my brother’s bedroom. They both had guns in their hands and it’s a miracle no one shot. 

It’s not a story I tell a lot of people. But it’s one of the reasons I think requiem is one of the best movies ever as it’s portrayal of addiction is authentic and something I experienced first hand. 
    JaimieTsassyfontaine
    edited November 24
    This may seem like a crazy fictional story but it’s definitely not. I have many other stories that could take days to explain. 

Last one. My brother was so high on H that he missed the ramp to an expressway so he decided to stop, turn around and take the on ramp and smashed into an old couple and hospitalised them. It’s a miracle they didn’t die. 
    JaimieTbazjenster
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Hatorian said:
    This may seem like a crazy fictional story but it’s definitely not. I have many other stories that could take days to explain. 

Last one. My brother was so high on H that he missed the ramp to an expressway so he decided to stop, turn around and take the on ramp and smashed into an old couple and hospitalised them. It’s a miracle they didn’t die. 
    I’m so sad to hear how hard it was for you and your family as your brother struggled. I hope he was able to turn his life around. But I know that rarely happens in the movies.

Speaking of, Requiem is one of my favorite movies. My heart hurt for every character. The acting was fantastic, and the cinematography made the audience feel. 
    Hatorian
  • Hatorian said:

I’m so sad to hear how hard it was for you and your family as your brother struggled. I hope he was able to turn his life around. But I know that rarely happens in the movies.

Speaking of, Requiem is one of my favorite movies. My heart hurt for every character. The acting was fantastic, and the cinematography made the audience feel. 
    Thanks. The problem is he is such a great manipulative person. There’s no way to really know if he’s turned his life around or he is just bullshitting to get what he wants. 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Ross from Friends. 
    sassyfontaine
  • Dee said:
    Ross from Friends. 

Ross in Band of Brothers ;)
    awookieeDeesassyfontaineDoctor_Nick
  • Bella in the Twilight series. We all know her cinematic sins. 
    Deesassyfontaine
  • Christian (the egocentric boyfriend) in Midsommar.
    But I admit my opinion is strongly affected by recency bias.
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Dee said:
    Ross from Friends. 
    YOU TAKE THAT BACK.

Dee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Bella in the Twilight series. We all know her cinematic sins. 
    Ooh, good one. 
    edited December 2
    Can I add worst “Comedian” in the past 5 years? This guy obviously has more talent than me given his fame but it seems like every 3 months he’s doing something to keep himself relevant and in the news cycle. He’s been acting like such a tool and to think his act is sooo good (or bad for that matter) he wants to gag order people is just ridiculous. 

MichelleCecily
  • Bella in the Twilight series. We all know her cinematic sins. 
    HARD AGREE. she fuckin blows chunks.
  • The parents from Home Alone.  Home Alone 2.  Etc.
    Cecily
  • AJ Soprano, if useless voids of screen-time count as characters
    CecilyFreddy
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    ken hale said:
    AJ Soprano, if useless voids of screen-time count as characters
    In case you've missed hating him, and don't have time for a Sopranos rewatch: