106 - This Extraordinary Being

MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
Well, I could watch an entire season of Hooded Justice in the past.
CapeGaberkcrawfcdriveElisaksa1001jtmy92sassyfontainemanhattnikChinaski

Comments

• calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    Wow
    Murderbearcdriveksa1001
  • Well, I could watch an entire season of Hooded Justice in the past.

I know. The show within the show is easier to follow and more entertaining. Maybe when we see where this all ends up the payoff will be great.

MurderbearBroRad33
  • Completely agree. I want a whole season. 

Watching this reminded me a lot of the pain my mother and father tried to convey about growing up black In the South during the civil rights movement. In a sense, when I was younger, I thought I understood the anger from racial injustice. But it was nothing compared to having lived through it. 

I’m expecting Angela to have a whole different reaction to Will now. 
    MurderbearcdriveElisaksa1001jtmy92Eine Frausassyfontainegguenotblacksunrise7Chinaski
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Next On:  ONLY THREE EPISODES LEFT

Audience: Make them Hooded Justice 
    darwinfeeshy
  • No longer does Jim need to borrow internet points from A.Ron after predicting Hooded Justice used face paint just like Angela. Now Jim can walk into any internet discussion with his head held high and never have to worry about going into internet point bankruptcy. 
    rkcrawfksa1001duncanpowersElisasassyfontainemanhattnikawookieeKillert0astdarwinfeeshyblacksunrise7and 2 others.
    edited November 25
    When Will was running rough shot on the cops in klan robes in the warehouse, I couldn't get the Rage Against the Machine song 'Killing in the Name' out of my head....."Some of those that work forces, are the same that burn crosses"
    rkcrawfadobo1148ElisaMurderbearsassyfontaineDummyblacksunrise7
  • edited November 25
    When Will was running rough shot on this cops in klan robes in the warehouse, I couldn't get the Rage Against the Machine song 'Killing in the Name of' out of my head....."Some of those that work forces, are the same that burn crosses"
    Wow that was a missed opportunity. It would have gotten me off my couch for sure. 
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    In addition to being Boardwalk Empire's "George Remus" as the guys pointed out in the instant cast, Glenn Fleshler was also Errol Childress in season 1 of True Detective and more akin to this role, a racist cop in the 2019 Twilight Zone episode "Replay". He has a default menace and smarmy quality that keeps him working. Bonus smarm for being Bobby Axelrod's lawyer/fixer in Billions.
    rkcrawfblacksunrise7BloodyTaco
    edited November 25
    ^ also Goran Pazar in Barry.  Nice pull with Errol Childress!
    Freddy
    adobo1148 said:
    When Will was running rough shot on this cops in klan robes in the warehouse, I couldn't get the Rage Against the Machine song 'Killing in the Name of' out of my head....."Some of those that work forces, are the same that burn crosses"
    Wow that was a missed opportunity. It would have gotten me off my couch for sure. 
    It would have been awesome for sure. Seemed like they were trying to keep the music to the period for the most part, so maybe that's why they didn't use it. 
  • edited November 25
    It would take the most spectacular face plant of all time for this show not to finish as my clear-cut favorite for 2019. This episode really blew me away. I can’t believe they threw a b&w noir flashback episode in here and made it the most gripping one yet. 

Everybody should be reading Angelica Jade Bastién’s recaps for Vulture if you’re not already, she’s doing some incredibly personal and excellent work. 

“One of my earliest memories is of my father strangling my mother. I can remember sunlight streaming in through the screen door of our small home. I can remember my mother squirming on the floor. But I can never quite make out his particulars. Instead, he’s a shadow smeared across the early years of my life, then a yawning absence. So much of my earlier life was about exorcising the remnants of him. But lately I’ve come to wonder about what can’t be so easily hidden away. What have I inherited from this man, this stranger? A certain rhythm to my steps? His skin tone? The gnawing loneliness inside of me? The prickling anger I’ve so often fashioned into a cudgel I turn against myself?

“This Extraordinary Being,” directed by Stephen Williams and written by Damon Lindelof and Cord Jefferson, inspires such imaginings. It’s a singular episode of television that asks us to consider the nature of inheritance and the ways trauma is etched upon a family, passed down through generations. As Angela experiences her grandfather’s memories after taking a lethal dose of Nostalgia, we bear witness to various reckonings that stare directly at the frightening face of American history, as well as a bold reimagining one of Watchmen’s most mysterious figures.”

https://www.vulture.com/2019/11/watchmen-recap-episode-6-season-1-this-extraordinary-being.html

sassyfontaineMurderbearJimpavlovsbell
  • edited November 25
    I was really struck by Hooded Justice being recruited to join the Minutemen for the publicity, and then as soon as he agrees to do so they cast him aside and deny him his identity and his research. 

We see this shit all the time in politics and progressive circles. They get the rub from the black community to make them “cool” and as soon as they secure their support, cannibalize and bury their grievances in favor of “the bigger picture” aka whatever white people are upset about, and on and on it goes. 

This show is on another level right now. 
    sassyfontaineDeepavlovsbellblacksunrise7
  • One thing I will say is during the Nostalgia trip, I wasn't sure (At times) the location events were happening... some in Tulsa and some in NY. Like when his wife says "Were going home to Tulsa" I thought they were already in Tulsa. I did only watch it once, and was tired, so it could totally just be me.  
    They’ve been killing it with the music. I really liked the crazy jazz paired with the crashing and fight scenes.  And ending with “Living in the past” by WITCH.  \m/ 
    ElisaCretanBull
  • BroRad33 said:
    One thing I will say is during the Nostalgia trip, I wasn't sure (At times) the location events were happening... some in Tulsa and some in NY. Like when his wife says "Were going home to Tulsa" I thought they were already in Tulsa. I did only watch it once, and was tired, so it could totally just be me.  
    From the very first scene to the last, they were in NY.

Thats what i watched anyways,
    Murderbear
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    cdrive said:
    Pulled that somewhat obscure full name pretty quick. So I must ask:

MurderbearcdriveJimChinaski
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    The one thing I was sort of confused by was his wife getting upset at him for removing their son's makeup. I get that she hated the seemingly angry person he had become (and she warned him about from the very beginning) but that to me is all the more reason to stop the kid from being "just like you, Dad."
    blacksunrise7
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    cdrive said:
    Freddy said:
    cdrive said:
    Pulled that somewhat obscure full name pretty quick. So I must ask:

Son of a bitch! That's why he looked so damn familiar! I was wondering why someone made a NoHo Hank reference in the chat last night. I was late to it so I thought I missed something.
    cdriveChinaski
  • JamesJames southern California
    Article from vox earlier today makes a case for "Fred" being Fred Trump. Among other things: Trump owned the first grocery store in Queens in 1933; he was arrested at a Klan rally in 1927 for refusal to disburse; The van outside of his warehouse calls the business "F.T. & Sons."

https://www.vox.com/2019/11/25/20981767/watchmen-episode-6-fred-trump-recap
    Deedarwinfeeshysassyfontaineblacksunrise7
  • Brett68 said:
    BroRad33 said:
    One thing I will say is during the Nostalgia trip, I wasn't sure (At times) the location events were happening... some in Tulsa and some in NY. Like when his wife says "Were going home to Tulsa" I thought they were already in Tulsa. I did only watch it once, and was tired, so it could totally just be me.  

Remus didn’t get that. Remus thought they went from Tulsa to Harlem. Maybe there weren’t many Jewish deli’s to firebomb in Tulsa, though. But I thought the cyclop-cops hung Will by the same tree where Judd was hung. I thought Metropolis came to Tulsa and convinced Will to relocate. 
    Dummy
  • I thought we were going to get orgasms and shitting
    Murderbear
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    rkcrawf said:
    Brett68 said:
    BroRad33 said:

Remus didn’t get that. Remus thought they went from Tulsa to Harlem. Maybe there weren’t many Jewish deli’s to firebomb in Tulsa, though. But I thought the cyclop-cops hung Will by the same tree where Judd was hung. I thought Metropolis came to Tulsa and convinced Will to relocate. 
    Who is Remus?

The entire flashback took place in New York. There was a giant New York sign behind them during William's graduation ceremony, and he walks past a New York themed newspaper stand right before the firebombing.
    Murderbearsassyfontainerkcrawf
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Hunkulese said:

Who is Remus?

It’s a Boardwalk Empire reference. The actor playing Fred played a character who constantly referred to himself in the third person. 
    rkcrawf
  • These last two episodes have been absolutely fantastic.
    DummypavlovsbellChinaski
    edited November 27
    I’m still deep down the rabbit hole
    about

W.e
    I.ntend
    T.o
    C.ause
    H.avoc 

Dude’s middle name / nickname was “Jagari”, ‘Zambian’ for Mick Jagger!  

There’s a documentary coming out about them.  Government curfews kinda broke up the band. They toured select U.S. cities a few months ago I think as a result of this doc finding all these guys. 

Obsessed. Thanks, Lindelof!

Dummy
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    One thing I took away from this episode - the anger and revenge cost Will his family, and left him a lonely old man. 
    darwinfeeshyElisarkcrawf
    I posted the following in the thread for last show by mistake....

Just listened to the podcast, and the guy were talking about the mind control tech being put in to the flashlight that Hooded Justice used on Judd. Then Jim mention how that thing must take 8 D cell batteries and something hit me. Could that be why the 7th K member were harvesting batteries in the first few episodes. To power some new mega mind control equipment to use later on?

ElisasassyfontaineDoubleA_Ronblacksunrise7
  • JimJim
    edited November 27
    I posted the following in the thread for last show by mistake....

Just listened to the podcast, and the guy were talking about the mind control tech being put in to the flashlight that Hooded Justice used on Judd. Then Jim mention how that thing must take 8 D cell batteries and something hit me. Could that be why the 7th K member were harvesting batteries in the first few episodes. To power some new mega mind control equipment to use later on?

I think the batteries were for the teleporters somehow, but I don't see why they couldn't be used for both.
  • You should read the book I mentioned or google the symbolism of colors. I believe the Twin Peaks are white for the highest of peak of good and black for the highest peak of bad. You will see many artistic works with black and white and red. Yellow or gold are seeds. I don't recall seeing Mr. Lynch in anything other than black and white. Black and white is in all of us if we are imperfect.

The problem with taking credit/guilt for slavery or any other historical evil that has happened to black people is that the guilty normally don't have say or control over what the level of punishment or restitution is or will be. I would not accept blame for what my father, mother, or siblings did so I for damn sure wouldn't take blame for something a distant historical relative did or feel guilt over what someone did who wasn't even related to me, where he or she just shared my skin color. If I should expect white people to do that, why shouldn't they expect the same from myself and every other black person? And do you really think land and a mule or a car will make up for rapes, murders, general brutality, families/communities broken forever, cultures lost, and legacies stolen? An apology? Understanding/empathy? No, no, no.

Aaron, while you are doing research, please look into what slave owners in Middle Eastern countries did to black people. Ask black people how they are treated to this day by Asian, Middle Eastern, etc descent shop owners in black communities to this day. You can ask me, black people are treated like shit regularly and historically by them, but I doubt shows like this can make room for those narratives with all the white bashing.

You are wrong about that Black Panther missive. A white woman made sure I closed on my home on my birthday. I am sure there are a millions and millions of great black people on this earth, but none, outside of my immediate family, have directly done anything close what she did for me. And I am sure there are countless black people who feel like there is no hope, but it is a lie. What racial group employs the most black people in this country? Will you research the good things white people have done and are doing for black people?

I don't know why you are surprised of the choice of Lindelof to incorporate a mind control device that frenzied black people. You yourself said that you didn't know why black people couldn't get it together until your research. Imagine if you will, why a black man like me would not vote for someone who called young black males "super predators". Why I wouldn't vote for someone who honored "Kleagle and Exalted Cyclops" Senator Byrd until his death? Someone who championed the 1994 Crime Bill that targeted and constitutionally enslaved more black males in prisons? What party did the KKK come from? Where is she from? I'm not even a Republican. You can't really say you are a friend to black people if you can't understand and accept this stance. And who I am kidding, you wouldn't be asking the questions you asked on yesterday's podcast if you had any black friends. So then ask yourself, why Lindelof and others, in Hollywood, from that party, are stoking hatred and anger. You think they will come down from their gated communities and stand with you when black on white violence intensifies? They are already saying you deserve it.

And much of the racism of today is probably very similar to yesterday. In this forum, I am not a man if I say something someone doesn't agree with. So that makes me a black...? Do you really think I want to be thought of as anyone's victim? Because of the color of my skin? What about thousands upon thousands of black people, by calculable metrics, have achieved greater things than you or any white person in your circle? When you see such a black person, you are going to assume he or she is inferior and to be pitied because of skin? The same racism that tells me I am well spoken or tells me that I am not black. "Pleasant surprise" is cruel disappointment for me.

Anyway, with less than one million live viewers, who can really say this is a show that real black people want and asked for. But Happy Thanksgiving and stuff.
  • I'm sorta lost, like I'm hearing one side of a conversation. I don't agree with everything that gets said on a podcast, but I also don't think anyone can say what "black people" want. Everyone thinks differently. I can say this is a show this black person likes.

Happy Turkey Day everyone.
    BloodyTaco