106 - This Extraordinary Being

2»

Comments

• pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    @RyanReeseman  Angelica Jade Bastién is one of my favorite TV writers. She wrote a piece, "In Its First Season, The Handmaid’s Tale’s Greatest Failing Is How It Handles Race," that summed up how I felt but did not know how to express it. She tweeted that Jorge Cotta's review of this episode is essential reading. It made me watch it a third time simply for the filmmaking and editing.

ElisaRyanReesemangjames80
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited November 2019
    No one seems to have remarked on the extreme bodily autonomy of Abar needing to give her consent to have her stomach pumped when everyone knows she took an OD.  And then she probably ends up on dialysis with Lady Trieu, somehow.                      
    majjam0770ElSkid
  • For me this was right up there with “International Assassin” as one of the most incredible standalone episodes of television I have ever seen.  Simply astonishing.
    rkcrawfRyanReesemanElisa
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    No one seems to have remarked on the extreme bodily autonomy of Abar needing to give her consent to have her stomach pumped when everyone knows she took an OD.  And then she probably ends up on dialysis with Lady Trieu, somehow.                      
    Yeah, I'm guessing that was Cal's doing? She also woke up in plain clothes and before seeing she was under Lady Trieu's care, I half expected her to be handcuffed to whatever bed she was in.
    Elisa
  • ksa1001 said:
    In addition to being Boardwalk Empire's "George Remus" as the guys pointed out in the instant cast, Glenn Fleshler was also Errol Childress in season 1 of True Detective and more akin to this role, a racist cop in the 2019 Twilight Zone episode "Replay". He has a default menace and smarmy quality that keeps him working. Bonus smarm for being Bobby Axelrod's lawyer/fixer in Billions.
    Wow, I forgot about his role in the Twilight Zone! Maybe I blocked it out because as a black man who has dealt in fear with racist cops, I had a visceral revulsion to him, he was that good. 
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Well, I could watch an entire season of Hooded Justice in the past.
    this 100%. so good!
  • I knew Will was Hooded Justice from the podcast of course, but I think I wouldn’t have put it together until the reveal had I not known. Did anyone else have that experience? I’m a teensy bit bummed about it. Just teensy. 
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    ElSkid said:
    I knew Will was Hooded Justice from the podcast of course, but I think I wouldn’t have put it together until the reveal had I not known. Did anyone else have that experience? I’m a teensy bit bummed about it. Just teensy. 
    That definitely was me. It is a huge part of why I am considering on bailing on these puzzle box show podcasts. Not the shows themselves, but the Mr. Robots/Westworld/Watchmen podcasts I may end up not listening to until the end of the season. It is no fault of the boys; it comes up as natural conversation.  It does kill some of the enjoyment and that is unfortunate. 
  • edited December 2019
    ElSkid said:
    I knew Will was Hooded Justice from the podcast of course, but I think I wouldn’t have put it together until the reveal had I not known. Did anyone else have that experience? I’m a teensy bit bummed about it. Just teensy. 
    That definitely was me. It is a huge part of why I am considering on bailing on these puzzle box show podcasts. Not the shows themselves, but the Mr. Robots/Westworld/Watchmen podcasts I may end up not listening to until the end of the season. It is no fault of the boys; it comes up as natural conversation.  It does kill some of the enjoyment and that is unfortunate. 
    I did this during season 2 of Westworld and I went back and rewatched the season and listened to the podcast and the podcast was tough to get through because of how tough the guys were on the show whereas I really enjoyed it.  Same thing with season 2 of Mr. Robot.  The big reveal was brought up right away by the guys and I was completely oblivious up until the actual reveal and it was definitely a holy shit moment for me.  
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Yeah, that’s the only thing. Going back and listening afterwards could get frustrating too. 
  • edited December 2019
    Yeah, that’s the only thing. Going back and listening afterwards could get frustrating too. 
    Most of the time it was actually comical and entertaining hearing them speculate on something you already know what happens but I feel like I'm probably in the minority with enjoying listening to speculation when you know the answer. It was just tough on some of the shows/episodes hearing them so down on the show when I had a completely different experience because I didn't join the hivemind and experienced it as 1 person. 
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    I must have been lucky. I heard zero Cal is Dr. M rumors. Maybe it’s because I don’t Reddit? And no one from the forums said anything until that episode (I think). If the guys speculated it didn’t resonate. Perhaps I was distracted by all the Lubeman and blue duck theories?

I know I’m in the minority when I say the Angela scenes should have taken less air time. I didn’t find it that compelling until the Cal reveal. I had that holy shit experience followed by rewinding all I knew to see how it fits.