• MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
  • Me with no forum this morning....

awookiee
  • I can finally stop hitting f5. 
    bazjenster
  • WE’RE BACK BITCH!!!!!!   
    bazjenster
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Phew. I thought it was just me and I got kicked out or something. Like when you get to the office and your badge suddenly doesn’t work. 
    bazjenster
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Image result for what did i miss gif
    NoelMattyWeavesPeepsMichelleFlukesSchlupp
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    We will recover 

#BaldMoveStrong
    ChinaskiDeeMurderbearMichelle
  • edited November 2019
    Chinaski said:
    Image result for what did i miss gif
    Did we loose time? What's the situation in the slow zone? Did any ships go Dutchman? What's the status of the emperor?
  • lol

I missed the outage, but do we have a thread anywhere on the state of the forums? The performance is pretty bad, and I've actually gotten some 500s over the last week.

Navigation is pretty painful in general.
    manhattnik
  • hitmy said:
    lol

I missed the outage, but do we have a thread anywhere on the state of the forums? The performance is pretty bad, and I've actually gotten some 500s over the last week.

This forum has always moved at the speed of glacier.
    hitmy said:
    lol

This forum has always moved at the speed of glacier.

Coincidentally my next lunch question was going to be about this very thing. I click on a thread and have time to make a cup of tea before it actually opens. And searching is...wait there is no search. I am not a big fan of the forum format
    RyanReeseman
  • It's funny, I was going to start a thread a few days ago asking if the forum was slowing down again. We need something like a local news station's weather forecast map, the Bald Move Forum Boner Pill Alert Meter.
    MurderbearbazjenstercdriveRyanReesemangguenotNoel
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Yeah, I apologize. I've been aware of the performance spiraling out of control for a while now (I think one of the mods brought it up 2-3 months ago) which I confirmed from looking at the logs and performance metrics, but unlike previous instances, there wasn't something obvious (like boner pills being stuffed in a wiki as fast as the server's I/O could handle, ya know, the yoosh) causing the issue. And this coincided with sustained peak busy at Bald Move. So it's kind of festered. 

The simple solution would be to increase the server capacity, but we're at max capacity on the server host the forums is on (mediatemple). When that happened to the bald move main server, we migrated to Pagely, which has been awesome, but they're expensive, and migrating from server to server is labor intensive, and like I said, we have time issues right now.  I'm going to do what I can over the long weekend, and hopefully I can get it optimized enough to get through to the new year when we can do something more long term. 

Ideally we'd do a Empire Biz on this, cause there are a lot of directions to take, including some that take us away from Vanilla BBS to something better, but most of them are expensive or disruptive or both, and I'd like to get some community input before we do something major.
    MurderbearJoshuaHeterNoelDeesassyfontaineCapeGabehitmy
  • Would it be easier to just maintain a subreddit or something like that? I've always liked these forums and the vibe here, but the technical issues have gotten a lot less charming over the years.
  • CapeGabe said:
    It's funny, I was going to start a thread a few days ago asking if the forum was slowing down again. We need something like a local news station's weather forecast map, the Bald Move Forum Boner Pill Alert Meter.
    Well, the server for the forums is stationed on a waterhauler travelling between the moons of Saturn and Ceres. So local weather forecast won't cut it since varying degrees of light delay is an issue. As well as thightbeam costs.
    MurderbearcdriveFlukesrkcrawf
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    CapeGabe said:
    It's funny, I was going to start a thread a few days ago asking if the forum was slowing down again. We need something like a local news station's weather forecast map, the Bald Move Forum Boner Pill Alert Meter.

MurderbearChinaskiDoubleA_RongguenotJimNoelSchlupphisdudeness915Flukescalebthrowerand 9 others.
  • cdrive said:
    CapeGabe said:

Even better than what was in my mind. Take the holiday off, you earned it @cdrive

ChinaskicdriveMichelleMurderbeargguenotJimDummy
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I love how there's still a turkey on tomorrow's day.  Can't let the boner pills get in the way of a good feast!  :grin:
    Murderbear
  • Michelle said:
    I love how there's still a turkey on tomorrow's day.  Can't let the boner pills get in the way of a good feast!  :grin:
    Oh, don’t you worry Michelle, I won’t
    MurderbearMichelleA_Ron_HubbardcdriveChinaskiNoel
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Man, I love y'all.
    gguenotMichellecdriveChinaskiNoel
    Michelle said:
    haha right? looks like we're good on Friday tho! no lunch which makes it a little suspect!
    Michelle

504 Gateway Time-out

• MichelleMichelle California
    Chinaski said:

504 Gateway Time-out

Uh-oh.............. :grimace:

• Is that a mr robot reference? :)
    I had the most witty, intelligent post for Watchman but 504! And now I can’t remember. 
    Chinaski