The Mandalorian - Chapter 4 SPOILERS

I'll probably catch heat for this, but I thought this episode stunk.  It felt like a recycled plot from an episode of "The A Team".

I loved the first two episodes, episode 3 was decent but I saw some red flags in it and I really feel like this episode went over a cliff.
Teresa from ConcordElisa

Comments

• More a plot from Xena: Warrior Princess. Co-starring Xena. 

My 11 year old son thought the episode was rad, which is really why I’m invested in this show. 
    CretanBullElisamanhattnikFlukes
  • The concept art at the end of each episode might be better than the show.
    CretanBullDoctor_NickElisa
  • It felt like a recycled plot from an episode of "The A Team".

Now all I can think of is Mr T the Jedi

"I pity the fool who goes to the dark side."
    CretanBullElisasassyfontaineFlukes
  • mykhailo said:
    More a plot from Xena: Warrior Princess. Co-starring Xena. 

My 11 year old son thought the episode was rad, which is really why I’m invested in this show. 
    That's a fair point, I'm not exactly the target audience for the show.  Even with that in mind though, there was a sharp decline in quality between this episode and the first three, especially the first two.
    Elisa
  • I'll probably catch heat for this, but I thought this episode stunk.  It felt like a recycled plot from an episode of "The A Team".

I loved the first two episodes, episode 3 was decent but I saw some red flags in it and I really feel like this episode went over a cliff.
    Not the best episode by far but I believe so far they all have been written by Favreau so maybe just a one off stumble hopefully.

The little Yoda sure does cover up the ugly parts. If they release an animatronic Baby Yoda doll for Xmas they are going to make a killing. 

CretanBullsassyfontaine
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    edited November 29
    I think calling it a recycled A-Team plot is a bit harsh considering the A-Team probably recycled it from old westerns and samurai movies. And thats what this whole series has been so far. It's a little tropey but that's kinda always been a Star Wars thing. I'm into it.
    CretanBullElisamanhattnik
  • I think calling it a recycled A-Team plot is a bit harsh considering the A-Team probably recycled it from old westerns and samurai movies. And thats what this whole series has been so far. It's a little tropey but that's kinda always been a Star Wars thing. I'm into it.
    Yeah, there was an obvious nod to the Seven Samurai here...the A-Team did that a lot too, just cheaply/poorly.  To me, this was a poor version of the A-Team's poor version.  If this was on NBC and they had to make 22 episodes in a season and this was one episode, it would be forgivable.  But in the prime-tv era of subscription-based premium tv, this fell way short of expectations.

rkcrawfElisasassyfontaine
  • I enjoyed the episode. But he takes his helmet off like 10 yards from kids playing? Like if they just turn around they see him. 

And Bryce Dallas Howard directed this episode...wonder what other actor/directors we might get
    Elisa
  • Baby Yoda is what brings me back to this show, and it delivered in that regard. I wish they would take the full hour and add more to the characters, but can't do that and possibly sell it to ABC and run adds on it later. It's a show that could be great, but is fine with just being good. 
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    It was fun. There was a little bit of Isle of the Lotus Eaters going on here with the good life and skoptcha and thirsty widow.  A mini battle / save the day episode. He realizes he can’t settle down or let the “kid” settle down. Was that really Xena?! Awesome.  Baby yoda continues to be ridiculously cute. I might forgive jar jar binks before it’s all said and done with this baby yoda. 
  • cdrive said:
    It was fun. There was a little bit of Isle of the Lotus Eaters going on here with the good life and skoptcha and thirsty widow.  A mini battle / save the day episode. He realizes he can’t settle down or let the “kid” settle down. Was that really Xena?! Awesome.  Baby yoda continues to be ridiculously cute. I might forgive jar jar binks before it’s all said and done with this baby yoda. 
    No. It wasn’t the real Xena. It was a UCF fighter that looks like her. I don’t get why they haven’t released a baby Yoda toy. This toy would be the tickle me Elmo equivalent. 
  • I was surprised by how good Gina Carano was. This is easily the best she’s been in anything, and certainly a long way from having to have another actor ADR her lines because her delivery was so bad.

I hope she keeps getting better and keeps getting work, because she’s a hell of a presence on screen, and does action more believably than just about anyone I’ve seen. She willingly took a concussion in Haywire because she insisted that Fassbender slam her into a wall with full momentum. Still one of the most brutal fight scenes ever. 

One day when she’s had more experience and has hopefully become a better actor, I hope she gets to play Wonder Woman. You couldn’t design a better person for the roll if you pulled it off the page. 
    Murderbearsassyfontaine
    Hatorian said:
    cdrive said:
    No. It wasn’t the real Xena. It was a UCF fighter that looks like her. I don’t get why they haven’t released a baby Yoda toy. This toy would be the tickle me Elmo equivalent. 
    Should watch the first episode of The Toys We Love or whatever it’s called on Netflix. TMNT was a dream turned empire with cartoons selling toys. I have to say...whoever green lit Boba Fett and baby Yoda at the  same time....keep him on the payroll. 
  • I’m convinced they just sat around watching old Spaghetti Westerns (and The Seven Samurai @CretanBull) and said “Let’s do that one!” I’m sure I’ve seen this in the Eastwood movie where he literally paints the town red. 

I’m lowering my expectations to just family-appropriate popcorn sci-fi/western. Firefly without the humor. 
    CretanBull
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I'm betting they haven't released a toy yet because they've had issues selling merchandise from other SW properties, specifically the RoS and Solo merchandise. (Yes, some RoS merchandise is already out there.) There's not a huge drawback to waiting to see if there's demand here, I would think.

Yikes, I thought the first episode was average. Not my show for sure!
    Elisa
  • Was at a friends gathering today and someone in the know said the reason was the production would have caused leaks. There was no way to mass produce the toy without it becoming widely known before the show even aired. Which actually makes sense. There’s no way a massive production line in China could keep these toys from leaking out. 
    JaimieTsassyfontaine
    ^good point 
  • JaimieT said:
    I'm betting they haven't released a toy yet because they've had issues selling merchandise from other SW properties, specifically the RoS and Solo merchandise. (Yes, some RoS merchandise is already out there.) There's not a huge drawback to waiting to see if there's demand here, I would think.

Yikes, I thought the first episode was average. Not my show for sure!
    There is an article out there that says there is no baby Yoda merchandise because to make the Xmas rush they would have given away the first episode surprise.

Wow, I am floored by that. Not like a big corporation to leave a nickle on the table.  To willfully give up some huge Xmas money is shocking. 

https://nypost.com/2019/11/29/why-you-cant-buy-baby-yoda-toys-this-christmas/

• Not the best episode (worst of the four imo) but considering I was expecting more of a “bounty of the week show” initially anyways, I’m ok with it. Hopefully most episodes have more tie in to the over arching plot that I think is developing. 

I cannot believe the reasoning for the the lack of merch.  Seems crazy. Especially considering the reveal was in episode 1 of the series. It’s the only explanation that makes sense but maybe there’s more to this story. (Maybe Lucas restricting it as a trade-off to use the species)
  • I was afraid baby yoda might accidentally force choke one of the children 
    CapeGabesassyfontaine
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    edited December 1
    Zsa004 said:
    I cannot believe the reasoning for the the lack of merch.  Seems crazy. Especially considering the reveal was in episode 1 of the series. It’s the only explanation that makes sense but maybe there’s more to this story. (Maybe Lucas restricting it as a trade-off to use the species)
    Lucas can't restrict anything. He sold everything Star Wars related to Disney. It would also be completely antithetical to his create movies to sell toys philosophy.
  • I appreciated the side-mission adventure-of-the-week episode. Probably will have a few more like that I would think. And I don't see why people don't seem to think it ties in with the overarching plot. He's looking for a place to hide after stealing a kid, and if trouble doesn't follow him wherever he goes we don't get much of a show. 

35 minutes of Mando sitting in the tavern watching baby Yoda drink bone broth before the bounty hunter shows up at the end would be kind of boring.

We get to see that, yes, there are normal people in this universe just trying to live their lives. And also get to see where some of the Imperial tech is ending up. Also needed to introduce the next main character on the show. I imagine she'll have some ex-rebel contacts that may be useful for trying to smuggle a child around the galaxy. And he owes her one or two now, so their next adventure-of-the week episode might be about helping her.

Murderbearrkcrawf
  • I'm still working through my thoughts on this, but I think this might be a problem for Star Wars moving forward.

Part of the legacy of the Original Trilogy is the ramping up of the world building for each new film. Star Wars (the 1977 film) had such cool... everything. New/interesting aliens, vehicles, technology, landscapes, lore, etc. Oh yeah? Wait till you see The Empire Strikes Back. Even newer and more interesting aliens, vehicles, technology, landscapes, lore, etc. Oh *YEAH*? Wait till you see Return of the Jedi EVEN NEWER AND MORE INTERESTING aliens, technology, vehicles, landscapes, etc. 

So, it's almost like for a movie or tv show to "feel" like Star Wars, it has to build the world out in all (or many) of these ways and that's... difficult. Would a movie or tv show "feel" like Star Wars if it didn't show us any new aliens, vehicles, etc.?  I dunno. With that in mind, how long can you continue to show us new / interesting parts of this world. This may have been my favorite episode so far, but the little village felt like it was out of some other sci-fi universe. I dunno. What everyone else thinks if this is an actual issue or if I'm way off.
  • This was a little TOO derivative for me, but I am still enjoying the show. The episode definitely still had its moments but a show can only have so many "I have seen this entire thing before" moments before it gets annoying.

This episode was so the 7 samurai/magnificent 7 I kept expecting it to twist dark at the and. But it didn't. 
    sassyfontaine
  • I have admittedly never understood what somebody means by whether or not something “feels” like Star Wars, but I suspect it just means that they don’t “feel” the same way about SW that they did when they were a kid, when these movies were actually made for them. 

Every planet in the SW universe is just one city, and it has just one type of climate, and they’re limited to where we can film on Earth. There’s not much more we can do at this point on that front, so the focus needs to be on story and characters. I would say stop telling the same damn story over and over again but well, this fanbase has immolated itself every single time someone has tried to do that, so who the hell knows what fans want anymore.
  • I have admittedly never understood what somebody means by whether or not something “feels” like Star Wars, but I suspect it just means that they don’t “feel” the same way about SW that they did when they were a kid, when these movies were actually made for them. 
    The whole “it just doesn’t make you feel like you did” explanation is... wholly and completely insufficient. There are plenty of things that you could put into a Star Wars movie that wouldn’t directly contradict anything in Star Wars but would create a sense of inconsistency in any reasonably viewer if it were included.

There’s nothing in canon that says that the Star Wars galaxy doesn’t have (for instance) Golden Retrievers - not a race of aliens that have Golden Retriever like features, but literal Golden Retrievers.

That said, I imagine that if in Episode IX Fin’s new sidekick was Air Bud, your reaction would be less “Huh. Interesting. The SW universe has golden retrievers. Who knew?!” and more “Wtf?!”

• Every planet in the SW universe is just one city, and it has just one type of climate...

To be fair, that's most planets in sci-fi  :)

• JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I just saw a meme of the Baby Yoda messing with controls in the ship and now I understand why people are freaking out about Baby Yoda. It's aggressively cute.
    sassyfontaine
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada

Every planet in the SW universe is just one city, and it has just one type of climate, and they’re limited to where we can film on Earth.
    I thought the line in this episode "well, I guess this planet's taken" was a neat little lampshade for the Star Wars this-planet-is-all-one-thing trope. It definitely made me think about it.
    RyanReesemanmanhattnik
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    Years ago I saw a video on what killed the original Battlestar Galactica. It was the Seven Samurai trope. It didn’t take long to see It in the episode. I think the mother trying to hook up with the main was really weak. The idea of a mother just inviting a killer into her home was beyond reason.  The director Bryce Dallas Howard really disappointed me.
    if next week they pull the same I’m out. 

Baby Yoda is getting played out.

Humbug