The Mandalorian - Chapter 4 SPOILERS

2»

Comments

• MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    kingbee67 said:
    Years ago I saw a video on what killed the original Battlestar Galactica. It was the Seven Samurai trope. It didn’t take long to see It in the episode. I think the mother trying to hook up with the main was really weak. The idea of a mother just inviting a killer into her home was beyond reason.  The director Bryce Dallas Howard really disappointed me.
    if next week they pull the same I’m out. 

Baby Yoda is getting played out.

Humbug 
    Well, she did know how to shoot though. So chances are, she was a soldier of some type before and is probably all too familiar with his type. He's also carrying around an adorable baby, he's probably not out to murder a bunch of farmers in the middle of nowhere. She played the odds and she was pretty damn close to being right. He wanted to stay.
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    edited December 2019
    kingbee67 said:
    Years ago I saw a video on what killed the original Battlestar Galactica. It was the Seven Samurai trope. I think the mother trying to hook up with the main was really weak. The idea of a mother just inviting a killer into her home was beyond reason.  The director Bryce Dallas Howard really disappointed me.

if next week they pull the same I’m out. 

My guess is you're gonna be out then. Going by just the one sentence episode tags on IMDB looks like a couple episodes of 'bounty hunter on the run has a reluctant side adventure' kind of thing before closing out the season 2 episodes later. I'm not sure what everybody is expecting "The Main Story" to be if not this? 

And pretty sure the original Battlestar Galactica was killed off because it was a TV-budget sci-fi show in the late 70's riding the coat-tails of an insanely popular Star Wars franchise. My 8-yr-old self would probably argue how awesome it was, but likely does not withstand any critical review.
    manhattnikrkcrawf
  • manhattnikmanhattnik the big apple
    Original BSG was just ... lame. Also, this episode was something we’ve seen a million times before, but I thought it was well done. Hell, I believed in beautiful widow and a life of krill farming. I thought the fight between Mando and not-Xena was well done. Did they ever explain why the baddies were there, and why they had the AT ST? 
  •  Did they ever explain why the baddies were there, and why they had the AT ST? 

I don't think so, but the characters themselves asked Why is this here? and Why do these guys have it? So possibly hinting at a larger plot point if we've got ex-imperials seeding tech where it can be the most disruptive. Or they just literally found it/bought it/stole it and decided to go bully the nearest people they could find.

manhattnik
  • Not everything needs to push the boundaries of storytelling. There's plenty of a room for a by the numbers man with no name style story that's fun and very pretty and expensive looking.
    RyanReesemanmanhattnikFlukessassyfontaine
  • Not everything needs to push the boundaries of storytelling. There's plenty of a room for a by the numbers man with no name style story that's fun and very pretty and expensive looking.
    Pretty much. Sometimes you just want to eat a Big Mac.
    manhattnikJoshuaHetersassyfontaine
  • manhattnikmanhattnik the big apple
    Exactly! This episode was great for what it was. Also I like that Mando gets his ass kicked a lot. 
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    cdrive said:
    Wow. I hate Baby Yoda now.
    cdriveJoshuaHeterFreddy
  • cdrive said:
    It’s things like this that make me disappointed when I hear about Earth / asteroid near-misses. 
    MurderbearDummymanhattnikFlukescdrive
  • The Ringer really went above and beyond for this one:

RyanReesemanJaimieTDee
  • So definitely late to this party but just got the time to sit down and watch it last night and I thought it was a fun episode.  I didn't have any issues with the 7 samurai style plot, honestly that's a lot more of the style of show I expected this to be.  There was no dark turn to this, which is appropriate given that this is streaming on Disney Plus.  I think this show could have been something completely different if it streamed somewhere other than Disney and could be as graphic as it needed to be but this is just fine in my opinion.  Baby Yoda is adorable and I think they are using him the perfect amount, any more would be overkill.  
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Haha @MrX I came here to post that. 
    MrX
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    cdrive said:
    Wow. I hate Baby Yoda now.

Murderbear
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    I was excited to watch this, and yes baby Yoda-but-not-Yoda is cute. But I don’t think I can watch this anymore. The stories are just not interesting imo. I half expect David Hasselhoff to show up in his talking car. The boys were smart not to cover this. 
    Elisa
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    I was excited to watch this, and yes baby Yoda-but-not-Yoda is cute. But I don’t think I can watch this anymore. The stories are just not interesting imo. I half expect David Hasselhoff to show up in his talking car. The boys were smart not to cover this. 
    Just finished ep 5. It's not getting any better.
    Elisa
  • edited December 2019
    I'm not nearly as down on it as you two are, and I haven't watched Ep 5 yet, but apparently.  

they go to tatooine lol? Apparently there really are only 5 planets in the SW universe.

Elisa
  • It’s deserving of the coverage they give Silicon Valley, small doses.