107 - An Almost Religious Awe

OH. MY. FUCK. 

Lindelof you god damn beautifully brilliant bastard. 
MichaelVCassidyElisaCretanBullsassyfontainemanhattnikOpusWhoChinaski

Comments

• calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    Mind blown. Makes total sense now why Agent Blake was all about Cal in previous episodes
    RyanReesemanMichaelVCassidyElisaMurderbear
  • Mind blown. Makes total sense now why Agent Blake was all about Cal in previous episodes
    SO MUCH
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    That scene where he tells the kids about death is a lot funnier now
    ElisaMurderbearsassyfontainemanhattnikgjames80Chinaski
  • Looking Glass next episode:

”I have a Rorschach mask now. Ho Ho Ho.”
    Teresa from ConcordElisa
  • MichaelVCassidyMichaelVCassidy Harrisburg, Pa
    Best episode from a run of great episodes! This one felt the most like Lost to me - and I couldn't have loved it more. Jim hating on the instant take. Couldn't disagree more strongly 
    ElisaKillert0astsassyfontaine
  • I LOVED this episode.
    Elisa
    edited December 2
    OH. MY. FUCK. 

Lindelof you god damn beautifully brilliant bastard. 
    My thoughts exactly. Hard to believe the dislike the guys had for it. I guess, if you thought Cal was Dr M all along and were waiting for that, then maybe it wouldn't be as good. But the reveal that Angela knew all along was almost as cool. I thought the elephant was weird AF and I love that it had me guessing . I guess I just don't understand why people care so much about answers. Questions and thinking and theorizing is way more fun to me, than just be told what something is. That said, I do think a ton of answers are coming (just as Lost had, BY THE WAY.)  And we already got a ton answered this episode. But I'm here for the crazy twists and bigger questions all day. I don't want or need a neat little bow, but I think we'll get one
    ElisaKillert0astsassyfontainegjames80
  • Man, I don’t know. This episode was good, but does it really have to be THIS weird? 
  • ssvendsen said:
    Man, I don’t know. This episode was good, but does it really have to be THIS weird? 
    I don’t know what it is about this community, but the “weirdness” of this show is bizarrely overstated and harped on more than anywhere else I frequent. 

Comic books are weird as shit, y’all. Watchmen chief among them. Just let it happen.  
    MichaelVCassidyDoubleA_RonElisaGiovannibazjensterCretanBullKillert0astsassyfontainepavlovsbellmanhattnikand 5 others.
    Dan Dreiberg named his big blue dildo creation Excalibur. Dr. Manhattan is Laurie’s ex, who is now revealed to be Cal Abar. Ex. Cal. Abar. I see what you did there, Lindelof...
    ElisaMurderbearKillert0astsassyfontainemanhattnik
    ssvendsen said:
    Man, I don’t know. This episode was good, but does it really have to be THIS weird? 
    I don’t know what it is about this community, but the “weirdness” of this show is bizarrely overstated and harped on more than anywhere else I frequent. 

Comic books are weird as shit, y’all. Watchmen chief among them. Just let it happen.  
    Perfectly said.
    Killert0astgjames80
  • ssvendsen said:

Fully admitting that my background knowledge in anything comic books comes from TV & movies. I don’t think I’m in the minority on that front though as far as TV watchers go. I like this show, but I think it is flirting with bizarreness to the point that viewers might not come back for a season 2. 
  • Also, I halfway fell into the trap of allowing myself to be influenced by the criticism of Angela’s constant FUCK YOU energy and now all I want to do is just go back and savor every bit of Regina Queen’s performance from the beginning knowing what we know now. What the hell was I thinking? 
    MichaelVCassidysassyfontainemanhattnik
    Every reaction im reading and seeing is in line with my own about this episode - except for jim and a.ron. Such a great episode to me.  So many are saying the same
    Murderbear
  • Anyone else ‘meh’ about the episode? Not negative. Just meh
    BloodyTaco
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    edited December 2
    ssvendsen said:

The show is much, much, much weirder than the comics were. The comics were hardly weird at all, and most of the weirdness was there to be mocked as a part of the deconstruction of the genre. The show does seem to be going out of its way to be weird just to be weird. 

I thought tonight's episode was pretty ho hum and wasn't really intrigued at all by the reveal. I also thought the Ozymandias stuff was particularly garbage tonight.

It doesn't help that Mr. Robot is giving us one of the best seasons of TV ever and is immediately after Watchmen.
    BloodyTaco
    Hunkulese said:
    ssvendsen said:

The show is much, much, much weirder than the comics were. The comics were hardly weird at all, and most of the weirdness was there to be mocked as a part of the deconstruction of the genre. The show does seem to be going out of its way to be weird just to be weird. 

I thought tonight's episode was pretty ho hum and wasn't really intrigued at all by the reveal. I also thought the Ozymandias stuff was particularly garbage tonight.

It doesn't help that Mr. Robot is giving us one of the best seasons of TV ever and is immediately after Watchmen.
    This forum is the only place I'm seeing this type of opinion . To each your own of course, but as I said before. Give me weird all day. Absolutely loved this episode. 

I do agree that this season of mr robot is one of the best seasons I have ever seen
    ElisaKillert0astgjames80
  • I didn't care for this episode after really enjoying the last two. Saving graces for me were Angela's back story and some ethereal Bowie. Angela has to this point been carried by force of will from Regina King's performance, but glad to get some depth on her character. After the reveal though it seems like we're going to need another episode of back story to catch up on Cal/Dr. Manhattan.

I think the episode lost me at the Laurie scenes. Trap door scene felt dumb and cartoonish, but then they try to subvert it with Laurie calling it out and getting meta about the "silliness." Hanging a lampshade doesn't make it not dumb. And the scene ends with Bob Benson dismissing her skepticism of said silliness with the reveal that  "no we're actually not racist but the white man has struggled for too long"......

Laurie scoffs, and rightly so, but to me, there are clear parallels between the 7th  K's bullshit and the shows overall narrative. All of this silliness is supposed to have a grander purpose, but if it's just that Dr. Manhattan is a ring in Cal's forehead, I'm not impressed.

Also, Ozy stuff really has me rolling my eyes. It's slow-burn farce, five minutes at a time. We know he's imprisoned; we know it will build to him escaping or not. Not much has really changed over the course of the season.
    Dee
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I loved this episode. The big reveals Angela’s childhood backstory. More Lady Trieu and the wild capture of laurie Blake by the 7th K. Bring on the crazy and subversions. In Lindeloff we trust 
    MichaelVCassidyGiovanniKillert0astsassyfontainegjames80
  • xulsolar22xulsolar22 Houston, TX
    Trent Reznor’s rendition of his musical  idol/mentor David Bowie’s Life on Mars...  
    The tears keep flowing.  I am unable to stop them!
    Killert0astMurderbearsassyfontainemanhattnik
  • Not sure why the hate - we're starting to get some answers, the Angela/Cal stuff is getting real interesting.   Though the Ozymandias stuff seemed superfluous and treading water,  and Laurie getting captured was pretty silly.

MichaelVCassidyElisaMurderbear
  • I haven't had a chance to watch the live instant take, but I thought this was great.  The guys are obviously entitled to their own opinions (and I'll be curious to hear them) but I think that maybe on a second watch they might have a 'sober second thought' (to borrow a phrase from Canadian politics!) and see it differently.  I don't think that I liked this more than the previous two episodes, but it's no worse than the 3rd best episode of the series so far.
    Elisa
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I didn’t hate it, but this show does seem to be pretty far up its own arse, as all Lindelof pieces are, in my opinion. It’s worth watching for Regina and Tim Blake Nelson alone, so I’m still all in. 

Is the groundskeeper/judge guy another Tom Mison? He sounds like him and he has the blue eyes, but the moustache is confusing me. 
    ElisaBloodyTaco
  • Maybe it wasnt in the budget but I found the show’s portrayal of US colonized Vietnam less than convincing. Not a big deal, as it wasn’t integral to the show. It looked like downtown Tulsa with a bunch of Vietnamese extras. 

Maybe its just me, but I love when Regina King drops f bombs. 
    Elisa
  • adobo1148 said:
    Maybe it wasnt in the budget but I found the show’s portrayal of US colonized Vietnam less than convincing. Not a big deal, as it wasn’t integral to the show. It looked like downtown Tulsa with a bunch of Vietnamese extras. 

Maybe its just me, but I love when Regina King drops f bombs. 
    I think that was intentional...they were showing what Vietnam would look like as a colonized/conquered country that had decades of Americanization under its belt.  Presumably, the terrorist bomber was fighting back against the fact that his culture had been wiped out and/or tokenized.
    manhattnikrkcrawf
  • I thought the episode was good but not great.  The show definitely has a weird factor to it and it seems like you're either fine with it and enjoy it or you dislike it.  Yes Laurie's trapdoor scene was a little cartoonish but I enjoyed how she later made fun of it.  It's very Lindelof and he's definitely leaning into it.  Not sure who said it but I couldn't agree more that it's tough airing Watchmen right before Mr. Robot which is having arguably it's best season.  Looking forward to seeing the last 2 episodes and seeing how this all wraps up.  
    Elisa
  • The suicide bomber is part of the movement to free Vietnam from us control. They have talked about them a bit in the peteypedia. It also seems very clear that ozy is lady truies father. The d has to stand for daughter.
    sassyfontaineDoctor_Nick
  • So my Girlfriend who hasn't read the comics, seen the movie, and hasn't seen the first 5 episodes, watched last weeks episode with me, and then this weeks and she was enthralled. I mean she has no idea whats going on, but at one point I accidently changed the channel and she yell at me, and has demanded to watch the next episode with me, so that has to say something good about the show on a fundamental story sense.

I liked the episode, but I just have a bad feeling the ending will leave more questions, which will be fine if they push for a second season, even if its years later.

Also, do you think Dr. M would have told Angela about her grandfather... surely he knew.

MichaelVCassidyElisa
  • Hunkulese said:
    ssvendsen said:

This show isn’t dEcONsTruCtIng the genre, it’s celebrating it in all its glorious weirdness. 
    MichaelVCassidysassyfontaineDoubleA_RonElisa
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    edited December 2
    Hunkulese said:
    ssvendsen said:

This show isn’t dEcONsTruCtIng the genre, it’s celebrating it in all its glorious weirdness. 
    I'm confused. It seems like you get why people think the show is weird.

It's much weirder than what you normally get from HBO and much weirder than the comics it was based on. Of course some people will be turned off by that.
    ssvendsen