107 - An Almost Religious Awe

124»

Comments

• Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited December 2019
    Yeah, memory harvesting and manipulation seem right up her alley, and I'm sure will have something to do with the Millenium Clock and all the TVs she bought the population.   

The Ozymandias trial is the thing that bugged me about this episode.  

Is Trieu only harvesting Will's memories from Angela, or is she also harvesting Angela's own memories? I'm inclined to think both.

pavlovsbellElisa
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    I'm just waiting for Keene to do this.

Doctor_NickTeresa from ConcordrkcrawfElisasassyfontainecalebthrowerCecilyChinaski
  • Hi,
    It's the guy who made the silly knuckle observation.
    I just wanted to write because they mentioned it twice now and I wanted to clear up a few things. I had no insider knowledge and I've never been as nerdy as to go study some actor's hands in detail, but I just had the neat idea that I can possibly find concrete evidence of who Doc M might be while I was looking at one of the only 2 images we've had of him in the trailers.
    Part of the reason I was even considering digging deeper is because of how much Bald Move has elevated my appreciation for Lindelof because of their Leftovers podcast. 

This is the original thread if someone is wanted more detail. 
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Watchmen/comments/dwlub7/i_believe_we_have_already_seen_doctor_manhattan

• Jim said:
    Clearly she likes elephants. But I've seen humans cry. We're also pretty advanced in terms of memory, cognitive function, empathy, compassion, etc. What makes an elephant special for this procedure or the metaphor? It's big?

I haven't seen anyone connect a satisfying number of dots on this. Everyone just says "and as you know, an elephant never forgets..." That's not satisfying to me.
    I have come to understand that Jim is simply way more clinical than I am. Which is fine. I just have to be okay with that difference while listening.
  • We have gone way too far down the rabbit-hole if we're examining knuckle scars to get hints on a fictional tv show. (Nothing personal, just my frustration with the internet playing lotto with a hundred thousand lotto tickets and having to avoid spoilers). I feel like Jim/Aron couldn't even entertain the theory on-air bc they had already been spoiled (by the internet, not by @ksendor). I feel like the Peteyfiles (or the timing that they are released) are doing the show a disservice, bc we learn a lot of stuff the week before the info is presented in the episode.

You're free to get your rocks off looking for this stuff if that's what you're into. I personally find the "clues" buried in the show more entertaining (when done right), but a little bit flimsy. They are there...and I'm not disputing that it is Calhattan. I do question if anyone would organically solve this riddle without grasping at straws. R+L=J, this is not.
    DoubleA_Ron
  • Loved this nugget from @Jim on the podcast: "Everywhere, anywhere, nowhere... who cares?"

This seems like great fodder for a Dr. Jimhattan Bald Move t-shirt...
    BroRad33
  • Loved this nugget from @Jim on the podcast: "Everywhere, anywhere, nowhere... who cares?"

This seems like great fodder for a Dr. Jimhattan Bald Move t-shirt...

I lost my shit at Jim's "Why does he have to be tiny?" After 30 seconds of ARon creating the elaborate scenario of DrM following everyone on the planet at once by riding around in their pockets...  :)
    RyanReesemanDoubleA_Ron
    edited December 2019
    WaPo ran this article in October about the rising death toll of elephants who tried to save a baby elephant from drowning in a Thai park. At the time it was eleven, with two live elephants that were attempting to jump. Luckily they were prevented from doing so. Warning for upsetting image: If you click on the article, there is an aerial photograph of the drowned elephants.

Elephants are more than animals with exceptional memory.  <3
    Maybe Lady Trieu will turn everyone into elephants.  B)

• Wow...I stayed away because I became a spoiler-fobe and @Jim has me thinking I made the right choice...and Im sorry if this was already posted but it seems people are watching!   

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/hbo-watchmen-ratings-1203425067/ 
  • OpusWho said:
    Wow...I stayed away because I became a spoiler-fobe and @Jim has me thinking I made the right choice...and Im sorry if this was already posted but it seems people are watching!   

While “Watchmen” is no “Game of Thrones” - correct, it's better.
  • Not a high bar by the end.

CretanBull said: 

CretanBull
  • Not a high bar by the end.

CretanBull said: 

Exactly.  At this point, the best of GoT is (arguably anyway) better than the best of Watchmen...but what this show is giving us now is better just about everything that the last three seasons of GoT gave us.
    mykhailo
  • OpusWho said:
    Wow...I stayed away because I became a spoiler-fobe and @Jim has me thinking I made the right choice...and Im sorry if this was already posted but it seems people are watching!   

In the context of the posted item I believe they are speaking purely about the number of people watching...not about the content of the show. But I agree. 
    CretanBull
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    edited December 2019
    I didn't get  chance to send this in to the guys for the podcasts but because I'm from SC, something about Looking Glass' last name being Tillman hit me....not sure if there is anything there, there. Some interesting parallels if in fact he did take the mask and is going to parade with the 7th K mask on

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Tillman

Edit: For those that don't want to read over the linked article, he is a former governor of SC who was an extreme racist and promoted and excused some heinous shit 
    Deerkcrawf
    rkcrawf said:

You're free to get your rocks off looking for this stuff if that's what you're into. I personally find the "clues" buried in the show more entertaining (when done right), but a little bit flimsy. They are there...and I'm not disputing that it is Calhattan. I do question if anyone would organically solve this riddle without grasping at straws. R+L=J, this is not.
    Cal being Doctor Manhattan was hinted at every episode, but the hints were all explainable. However, there was a mystery about what happened to him and the second shooter on White Night, and then Angela introduced another mystery about Cal's accident with "accident" being heavily associated with the creation of Doctor Manhattan. Then there was the season-long mystery of where is Doctor Manhattan? Then -- and this is extra textual -- there is the question of could they keep casting of DM under wraps? Regardless, Occam's Razor and economy of characters led to a high probability that Cal is Doctor Manhattan.

The big surprise for me was that Angela knew, Will knew, Lady Trieu knew, Keene knew, Judd knew, Jane knew, the 7K knew, and their plan is to destroy DM, take his power, and Manhattanize Keene. All of that is huge. It also explains one of the biggest questions for me: why Lady Trieu is building her Millennium Clock in Tulsa. That was bugging me all season.
    sassyfontaineElisarkcrawf
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    i skimmed through the comments after just watching this episode. personally, i enjoyed it (not as much as the previous 2 eps) and had a nice little 'hot damn!' moment the last 3 minutes of the episode. i don't mind the 'weirdness' as people have mentioned, and am getting a kick out of it tbh. sorta how i felt about about The International Assassin and The Most Powerful Man in the World episodes in the Leftovers. i watched the last 3 episodes in one sitting and for some reason i don't think i would have been as engaged had i watched them on a weekly basis. i think i'm gonna do the same with the last 2 episodes and just watch them back to back. can't wait!
  • edited December 2019
    My theory is Treau is going to release some kind of global amnesia that will make everyone forget their nostalgia corrupting bad memories, life trauma, and racial discord. Oh yeah and psychic squids too- she is trying to reverse her Dad Ozy’s fucked up squid legacy. What better way to create her fathers Utopia than a world where people have no memory of their pain?
    My guess is she is Ozy’s daughter and sent him to Europa when she found out about his Squiddy past. 
    sassyfontaine