Best Under the Radar Shows?

13»

Comments

• If you’re looking for something fantasy and starring a bunch of 90s actors, look no further than The Tenth Kingdom!!

This miniseries aired on NBC and starred Kimberly Williams from Father of the Bride, John Laroquette, and Diane Weiss. It was the story of a young waitress who gets sucked into a land of fairy tale and make believe and was actually pretty funny with a ton of modern pop culture references making its way into the fantasy land courtesy of the young waitress and her dad (including a rendition of we will rock you, but with a shepardess twist on it). I seriously loved this show so much that I bought it on VHS and dvd when it was released and the soundtrack as well. Here’s a trailer: 

https://youtu.be/BvUKXV8lb8c
  • Hunkulese said:
    Since there's already a strong Canadian theme, I'll add ReGenesis. One of my favourite shows of all time and Canada's best (only?) attempt at a premium cable show. It focuses on a virology-microbiology lab that deals with stuff like bioterrorism. Lots of (mostly) realistic science and phenomenal acting. Really digs into the moral and ethical ramifications of what we're able to accomplish through science. It's also probably Ellen Page's breakout role.

It's currently on Prime video and the Roku Channel. I might have to immediately rewatch all four seasons since there is nothing else at all on TV these days.

I agree this was one of my favourites.  It’s rare to hear anyone who knows what it is.  I love this subject matter in both tv and books.
  • Dark. A German show on Netflix. Season 3 is supposed to be out in June. It's not an easy casual watch, but worth the effort.
    ElisaEine Frauneilfgks
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited May 2020
    I can't believe I haven't used this thread to demand that everyone watch Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency yet. One of my all time favorites, especially season 1. That show is amazing. Super fun and quirky as hell. I think Hulu has it now. We ended up buying it on Amazon at some point, but I'm pretty sure Hulu has it.
    CretanBull
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    The Riches
    This is one of those shows that I rented on a whim and ended up loving it. Starring Eddie Izzard and Minnie Driver as Gypsy drifters that steak the identities of a family they find in a car accident. And they spend the whole show trying now to get caught while living the rich life, and they deal with Gypsy family members wanting a bit of their riches. 

Terriers
    I just love shows that only last about one to two seasons but here’s another one. Donal Logue is one of the most underrated character actors of the last two decades. The ultimate “that guy” actor and this show, premiering around the time of breaking bad’s hype, was a great one that got cut too early. The writing was dark, funny, and smartly written and the supporting cast is very strong. FX did this one dirty. 
    Terriers is in my top 5 shows of the last decade. I wish it had gotten a second season. Hulu added it when disney took over fox so I'll have to rewatch soon. 
  • Kela15Kela15 Malta, Europe
    Mortel and Dérapages (Inhuman Resources) on Netflix.
  • Dead to Me on Netflix - it's sort of on the radar I guess as season 2 just came out.  The plot is very twisty in a fun way.  Sometimes it can be a wee bit melodramatic,  but it is a weird and fun watch.  Christina Applegate really gives a good performance and really the whole cast is solid.  There are two short seasons out now so a good binge for people stuck at home.

Travis
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Dead to Me on Netflix - it's sort of on the radar I guess as season 2 just came out.  The plot is very twisty in a fun way.  Sometimes it can be a wee bit melodramatic,  but it is a weird and fun watch.  Christina Applegate really gives a good performance and really the whole cast is solid.  There are two short seasons out now so a good binge for people stuck at home.

Just binged season 2. It’s a good mix of funny, serious, and mystery. Great cameo for Judy’s mom. I 100% recommend Dead To Me. 
    Travis