Do you wear a watch these days?

CoryCory New Scotland
Was just watching the Bald Move Shopping Network and when they showed the one of a kind watch they are "selling"; and it got me wondering.  Do people still wear watches today?

I used to always wear a watch when I was younger.  I cannot wear a watch at work, so I'm completely out of the habit, but we have cell phones on us these days that work as our mobile time tracking device (among many other things).

I would guess those who currently wear one, it is more for fashion than telling time.

Comments

• Cory said:
    Was just watching the Bald Move Shopping Network and when they showed the one of a kind watch they are "selling"; and it got me wondering.  Do people still wear watches today?

I used to always wear a watch when I was younger.  I cannot wear a watch at work, so I'm completely out of the habit, but we have cell phones on us these days that work as our mobile time tracking device (among many other things).

I would guess those who currently wear one, it is more for fashion than telling time.
    I feel like there's a ton more people running around with smart watches than regular watches these days.  I don't wear either as I don't like having anything on my wrists.
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    I do but I have worn one for as long as I can remember. If I forget it, I feel naked almost
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Nope, that’s what phones are for. I haven’t owned a watch in years. 

I do have a smart watch but it gives me a rash so I only wear it for a few days at a time. 
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    awookiee said:
    I feel like there's a ton more people running around with smart watches than regular watches these days.
    Good point, I hadn't thought about smartwatches, I was just thinking of regular watches.
  • I'm a watch guy, I love them!  I haven't spent crazy money on a watch (yet!) but I have a few Swiss watches in the $500-$800 range and just bought a fitbit Versa 2 on Cyber Monday - which I think will end up being my 'everyday' watch.

The fitbit has smartwatch modern functionality, the others are...I won't say decorative, but men don't have the same kind of options that women have when it comes to jewelry and fancy stuff...I feel like a nice watch is one of the few things that a man can wear to project...status? style? in the same way that women do with all sorts of other dodads. 
    NoelFreddy
  • I hate things too tight on me and don't wear watches or jewelry. I did own and wear a really  nice pocket watch on a chain attached to a belt loop but that has been in a drawer since the invention of cell phones. 
  • So, I actually wear a Withings Move (I think they are owned by Nokia now, though, so they might be branded as Nokia moves now?) because I wanted a fitness tracker that didn't look like a fitness tracker. It's great. It uses a normal watch battery, so no charging, but it tracks steps, tracks workouts, and will us GPS for runs and bike rides as long as you have your phone with you. Also completely waterproof and reasonable priced (sub-$100). So if you want a fitness tracker you can wear always, I would strongly recommend it. 
    Cory
  • Yep - a Citizen Eco-Drive, two tone.  My wife gave it to me as a Christmas gift soon after me getting my break-through job.  I wear it work days.  My most prized possession - best gift ever. 
    CretanBullNoel
  • I never was into buying and wearing watches but I bought in on the Apple Watch craze when series 3 came out. Now I’m on to the lates series 5 and still love it! My career and hobbies fuel my obsession with tech and getting the Apple Watch pushed me to take fitness a lot more seriously and that motivation is still going today.
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    About every six months or so I get that feeling like "Man, I want to wear a watch." And I either get an old one out and wear it for a day or two or I do nothing and let the feeling subside. In theory I like a watch but I really don't actually like wearing one.

My dad had gotten a new Apple Watch and was looking to sell his old one so I wore it for a few days. It was cool but felt like more of a hassle. (I'm sure I would get used to it) I also wore it to band practice and since I play percussion, the screen came on....87 times in three hours?
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City
    I used to wear a watch. Nothing fancy but then I started wearing a Fitbit and thought I looked a little silly wearing 2 watches so just the Fitbit now.
  • I wore watches for years and then stopped when i got a smart phone. I've recently gotten back to wearing it and i love not having to reach/find and get my phone, get it out my pocket or rifle through my bag to find it. Alls i have to do is look down and there it is! I cannot wear it at home for some reason, i think it's uncomfortable. I keep it next to my house and car keys so i put it on right before leaving and take it off as soon as i get home.
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    i'm on my 3rd Apple Watch and love it. i use it to track my exercise, sleep, and heart rate. also, it's nice not to have to take my phone out my pocket when i get a text or need to check my calendar. 

before that though i never really wore watches. i owned them, just never could get in the habit of wearing em.
  • I used to wear cheap/fashiony watches like big Timexs, Seikos and Casios but I've almost completely dropped them for the Apple Watch.
  • asmallcat said:
    So, I actually wear a Withings Move (I think they are owned by Nokia now, though, so they might be branded as Nokia moves now?) ....... 

Nokia owned that business for a few years. But now they have divested, and Withings has been re-rebranded as Withings again. Time is a flat circle.
    Chinaskiasmallcat
  • CecilyCecily Cincinnati
    We got the watches sent to us in the video and I wear mine just as a fashion thing, too.  I have noticed that ironically it has also become a discreet way to check the time instead of getting out your phone and checking in when it might be inappropriate.

Does anyone also still feel like they need to apologize for using their phone?  For instance, I'm taking notes during a meeting - it should be assumed that's what's happening, and not checking Twitter or something, right?
    CretanBull

• Never owned a nice watch, but when I turned 40 a few years ago... I felt it was time.
    Defakto is a small German watchmaker that manufactures minimal design watches.

MurderbearNoelkojiattwood
  • Cecily said:
    We got the watches sent to us in the video and I wear mine just as a fashion thing, too.  I have noticed that ironically it has also become a discreet way to check the time instead of getting out your phone and checking in when it might be inappropriate.

Does anyone also still feel like they need to apologize for using their phone?  For instance, I'm taking notes during a meeting - it should be assumed that's what's happening, and not checking Twitter or something, right?

most meetings I'm in these days people just leave their phones on the conference table anyway so it's easy to check the time (or if an urgent call is coming in).
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Dee said:
    Nope, that’s what phones are for. I haven’t owned a watch in years. 
    Same.
    Dee
  • Every day, the bigger and crazier looking the better. Have about 20 watches in my collection
    NoelCretanBull
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    I always wore a watch. The last few years it's been a Fitbit. I that starts to bore me I will go back to the watch. Doesn't cross my mind to pull out my phone to just check the time. Of course some folks have that phone in their hand 24/7. 
    CretanBull
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    anyone ever rock or still rock the OG of 'Smart' watches? :D

NoelMurderbear
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    The only place I wear jewelry is on my wrists so it’s bracelets on the right, watch on the left. The watch is usually for when I go out and I’m dressing up a bit. I like a nice sleek, minimalist watch that won’t break the bank. Just got a nice Nixon one that I wear regularly on the weekends.

My father and older brother are into watches a lot more than I am, they each have at least 30 or so. They gifted me a nice Movado for my birthday over the summer. I only wear it on special occasions, the last time being when I was in my friend’s wedding a couple months back.
    Chinaski
  • Chinaski said:

lets all send $24.99 to that PO box and see if we get a watch  :)
    Just have to wait 4-8 weeks for delivery
    Chinaski
  • The thought of wearing anything on my wrist sends me into a legit panic attack.
    CapeGabe
  • Used to have watches for every occasion. Now, just Apple Watch. I was worried years ago that it'd be douchey, but it's like iPads, air buds, or cell phones. It was so convenient...don't need to pull my phone out during meetings, can answer the phone or see a text when my hands are full, multiple timers while grilling/cooking, plus all the health stuff. 
    Chinaski
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited December 2019
    Chinaski said:

I used to have one of them, and also had the Pac-Man watch too!

It had a clip on the wristband that held a little joystick that you plugged into that hole when you wanted to play!
    kojiattwoodNoelChinaskiJim
  • I love them!  One day...one day (when my bank account allows it!)