The Mandalorian Chapter 5: The Gunslinger SPOILERS

Guys, this is exactly the type of Star Wars bullshit that I hate. 

Why are we on Tatooine, why are we in the Mos Eisley Cantina, and why is Baby Cannavale seemingly sitting in the exact same spot as Han was when he murdered Greedo? 

Why is this franchise buried so deeply in its own asshole? We’re always just doing the same shit in the same places. This galaxy may as well take place inside of a tea cup.
Elisagjames80

Comments

• I rather enjoy the show and the passive fan service. It's really in the original style of Lucas.  Seven Samurai weekly serial. Not long, not much to think about, just sit back and enjoy.

Maybe the only place safe to hide will be on Mustafar.  :)
    rhcoop
  • edited December 2019
    This said nothing new. This story could have taken place in any Outer Rim planet. I liked that he shot the assassin bc the show had already lulled me into thinking this kid was some idiot kid, like in the Unforgiven. But the rest of it was braindead. 

And if you're going to steal Maverick's move (hit the brakes, so he flies right by you), give Top Gun subtle credit. 

It's not a bad show but the creators seem to take the easiest way out. 
    gjames80
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    edited December 2019
    How many episodes are we getting? The episode was fine if this is a 23 episode season, not so much if this is 1 of 8.

I also really wasn't a fan of Baby Yoda all of a sudden being an actual baby.
    rkcrawf
  • And if you're going to the Dune Sea, maybe have him looking for Boba Fett's armor. Maybe he doesn't find it, but it's better than just being there by coincidence. 
  • JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    edited December 2019

I’m in full agreement that the “shrinking of galaxy” through unnecessary connections (and what not) is a problem. It’s just... a problem I think we’re going to have to live with. 

It’s a fairly old problem.

Darth Vader is Luke’s father - OMG; No way!
    Leia and Luke are twins - Woe!
    Darth Vader grew up on Tatooine & built C3PO - Wait... what?
    Yoda and Chewbacca were old pals - Okay, seriously?

Most (though not all) of these details that “shrink” the galaxy are objectively dumb (IMO), but I don’t think enough of the fanbase cares or even notices for this to be something that will ever change about SW storytelling.
  • I thought that this episode was better than the dumpster fire that episode 4 was, but it was still problematic.  The thing that annoyed me the most is that they've spent 4 episodes building up the 'character' of baby Yoda...he's persistent and won't stay put.  The Mandalorian has tried several times to force the baby to sit tight, and every time he thinks that he's succeeded the baby ends up appearing at his side.  That's happened several times in the series, it's one of the only character traits that we can assign to him.  All of that went out the window in this episode - suddenly the Mandalorian was able to wander off without baby Yoda following him and no explanation was given for that.  It might seem like a minor thing, but when they've spent 4 episodes establishing that persistence as a character trait (perhaps his only one) to have it suddenly be absent without explanation is weak.
    Elisa
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I don't know, maybe I'm a sucker but I am still really into this show. I'm completely fine with a story about a Mandalorian and a Baby Yoda getting into new adventures every week. Yeah, I guess I can see them being on Tattooine as a little convenient but considering that was probably Boba Fett at the end of the episode, I'm okay with that convenient planet being the last one we ever saw him on.

@CretanBull I think it was slightly different this time with Baby Yoda. He left him sleeping in the ship for one and then even when he briefly returned and left again on the speeder, Amy Sedaris' character was holding him. He couldn't have tried to follow Mando even if he wanted to, poor little guy.
    rhcoop
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    edited December 2019
    I don't know, maybe I'm a sucker but I am still really into this show. I'm completely fine with a story about a Mandalorian and a Baby Yoda getting into new adventures every week. Yeah, I guess I can see them being on Tattooine as a little convenient but considering that was probably Boba Fett at the end of the episode, I'm okay with that convenient planet being the last one we ever saw him on.

@CretanBull I think it was slightly different this time with Baby Yoda. He left him sleeping in the ship for one and then even when he briefly returned and left again on the speeder, Amy Sedaris' character was holding him. He couldn't have tried to follow Mando even if he wanted to, poor little guy.
    I looked it up, and there are only 8 episodes in this season. Weekly side adventures can be fun, but the last two weeks have been a quarter of the entire season and really didn't add much to the story. The entire reason for having shorter seasons is to get rid of episodes like the last two.

This was supposed to be the prestige show to get people subscribed to Disney+, and the last two weeks have been Saturday morning cartoons. I guess it'll be pretty easy to stop paying for Disney+ after this month.
    Elisagjames80
  • I'm still on board, this was a lot better than last week.  The shooting of the prisoner was a nice touch to bust out of tropes.  Serial Westerns / Space Opera have some tropes to service.  

Hunkulese said:

This was supposed to be the prestige show to get people subscribed to Disney+, and the last two weeks have been Saturday morning cartoons. I guess it'll be pretty easy to stop paying for Disney+ after this month.

sassyfontainerhcoop
  • Actually, sappy as it is, I think Baby Yoda's main characteristic might be wanting to be with who actually cares about him and has his interests at heart, which means the mechanic might have been an acceptable person to stay.  

I thought that this episode was better than the dumpster fire that episode 4 was, but it was still problematic.  The thing that annoyed me the most is that they've spent 4 episodes building up the 'character' of baby Yoda...he's persistent and won't stay put.  The Mandalorian has tried several times to force the baby to sit tight, and every time he thinks that he's succeeded the baby ends up appearing at his side.  That's happened several times in the series, it's one of the only character traits that we can assign to him.  All of that went out the window in this episode - suddenly the Mandalorian was able to wander off without baby Yoda following him and no explanation was given for that.  It might seem like a minor thing, but when they've spent 4 episodes establishing that persistence as a character trait (perhaps his only one) to have it suddenly be absent without explanation is weak.

• @CretanBull I think it was slightly different this time with Baby Yoda. He left him sleeping in the ship for one and then even when he briefly returned and left again on the speeder, Amy Sedaris' character was holding him. He couldn't have tried to follow Mando even if he wanted to, poor little guy.
    Actually, sappy as it is, I think Baby Yoda's main characteristic might be wanting to be with who actually cares about him and has his interests at heart, which means the mechanic might have been an acceptable person to stay.  
    I think both of these points are true, but still think that they're weak and against character.  Basically, nothing can stop Baby Yoda from sticking to Mando's side...except (suddenly) nap-time.  Perhaps Baby Yoda did find some comfort with the mechanic but given that protecting the baby is the thing that Mando is risking his life to do I don't really understand him wondering off - especially knowing that as repairs are being done that people (no droids!) will be going on and off his ship.  What reason does Mando have to trust the mechanic and/or trust that Baby Yoda won't wake up and wander off looking for him?

I get that it can come across as being nit-picky, but I don't like it when characters always do "x" until it becomes a plot convenience for them not to.  In this episode, Baby Yoda's persistence and Mando's devotion to protecting him were both brushed aside with very little cause.
    Mando left him with a random waitress last week.
    gjames80
    Y'all have some mighty high expectations for this show. I don't know if I had heard it was going to be some "prestige" level show that was the sole reason to keep Disney + forever. It's a fun Star Wars thing to look at and enjoy and it's not structured how some people expected. Big deal. We've never really had a weekly Star Wars TV show (minus cartoon shows) so this is new ground for them.

But hey, if you don't like it, you don't like it. I'm not saying anyone's personal opinion is wrong. It just feels like some folks had some preconceived notions and when they got something different, they're mad. Just enjoy the ride! They are already close to being done (allegedly) shooting season 2. Hopefully it's not super long until we have even more to enjoy.
    rhcoop
  • Mando left him with a random waitress last week.
    To take out a threat...he thought that the other woman was from the guild and was there to kill him/the baby.
  • Y'all have some mighty high expectations for this show. I don't know if I had heard it was going to be some "prestige" level show that was the sole reason to keep Disney + forever. It's a fun Star Wars thing to look at and enjoy and it's not structured how some people expected. Big deal. We've never really had a weekly Star Wars TV show (minus cartoon shows) so this is new ground for them.

But hey, if you don't like it, you don't like it. I'm not saying anyone's personal opinion is wrong. It just feels like some folks had some preconceived notions and when they got something different, they're mad. Just enjoy the ride! They are already close to being done (allegedly) shooting season 2. Hopefully it's not super long until we have even more to enjoy.
    Yeah, that's a totally valid take.  I'm 100% projecting some expectations on to it...but I think that's fair given the hype and the fact that it's the flag-ship show of service that has been called a "Netflix killer".  Having said that, it's not that I don't like the show...I thought episodes 1 & 2 were genuinely great, but episode 3 saw a bit of dip in form (still "good"), I hated episode 4 and while this episode was better it's still short of the expectations that 1 & 2 created for me.  IMO there's been a lack of consistency - of all kinds, tone, writing etc - in the series and it feels like it hasn't found itself yet (or it found itself in eps 1 and 2 and has been a little lost since).  That's not good in the prime-tv era of prestige shows, but it might be good enough to be a fun family show that's pretty decent and occasionally great.
    MurderbearElisa
    edited December 2019
    And I'm willing to admit that I might be giving it too much of a free pass just because it's Star Wars.
    gjames80
  • And I'm willing to admit that I might be giving it too much of a free pass just because it's Star Wars and I declared Fan Bankruptcy during the prequels without even knowing what that was at the time.
    gjames80
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    The bottom line for me is redact the title and I still need a show that is interesting and entertains me. This show does neither. Since it’s a short season I’ll watch the last episodes (when I get around to it) but it will take a Christmas miracle to continue with season 2. Glad I didn’t pay for Disney+.  
    Elisagjames80
  • I don't know. After the first 3 episodes I'm alarmed at the decline in the past two episodes. We had what felt like movie production episodes then these last two felt like the old production crew from the 90s Star Trek series took over. It's not terrible, in fact its decent to good but in that old school good TV way rather than the premium quality we had gotten the first 3 episodes. 

In addition I didn't care for going back to Tatooine and frankly it only makes sense if that was Boba Fett at the end over Ming Na Wen, which likely its not. I'm more sure it was Giancarlo Esposito's character. 
    Elisa

• I think both of these points are true, but still think that they're weak and against character.  Basically, nothing can stop Baby Yoda from sticking to Mando's side...except (suddenly) nap-time.

Can you really expect consistent behaviour from a baby/toddler?

I dig your point about Mando, though. Seemed a bit weird that he just took off without anticipating what would happen when the mechanic inevitably discovered baby yoda.

He has been behaving weirdly every episode though. Why does he never close the door and lock up his spaceship? He's got all this technology, but everyone just walks in and out of his ship whenever they feel like.

rkcrawfCretanBull
  • rkcrawf said:

And if you're going to steal Maverick's move (hit the brakes, so he flies right by you), give Top Gun subtle credit. 
    I said the same exact thing when it happened.  Was like, that's Top Gun.  Was even hearing the line in my head "you're gonna do WHAT?!?!?"
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    Can we talk about who walked up on Ming-Na's body?

Image result for boba fett boba fett where meme
    Elisa

• I think both of these points are true, but still think that they're weak and against character.  Basically, nothing can stop Baby Yoda from sticking to Mando's side...except (suddenly) nap-time.

I dig your point about Mando, though. Seemed a bit weird that he just took off without anticipating what would happen when the mechanic inevitably discovered baby yoda.

He has been behaving weirdly every episode though. Why does he never close the door and lock up his spaceship? He's got all this technology, but everyone just walks in and out of his ship whenever they feel like.

In reality, no - of course not.  But in the land of TV and movies when characters have established traits (and in this case when it's arguably their only trait) you have to provide a reason for a sudden change.

In reality, no - of course not.  But in the land of TV and movies when characters have established traits (and in this case when it's arguably their only trait) you have to provide a reason for a sudden change.

Maybe he's actually a form of Dr Manhattan and becomes wildly incompetent in one specific situation for no reason other than it already happened.

Joking obviously but they don't seem very concerned with sweating the details on things like consistency or the motivations of baby yoda. He's probably going to wander away from Mando at points or be obsessed with following him around depending on what they're doing that episode. He's basically a cat.
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited December 2019
    More like gettin' ready to resuscitate her with some delicious chickens.

gjames80