108 - A God Walks Into A Bar - Spoilers

MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
edited December 2019 in Watchmen
Damn. What an awesome episode. I don't really understand why Calhattan didn't stop the last guy but I'm guessing we'll learn the reason but dammit! Ha!

Also, don't skip the credits!
Elisamanhattnik
«1345

Comments

  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Well, Calhattan was in the preview so maybe he's still got some tricks up his sleeve.
    Elisa
  • Damon Lindelof can write a love story like nobody else. 
    MattyWeavesElisahisdudeness915sassyfontaineOpusWho
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    Well, Calhattan was in the preview so maybe he's still got some tricks up his sleeve.
    He said something to Angela about it being important she see him walk on the pool. I'm hoping he can't tell her too much and can only give her clues.
    Elisa
  • This whole show is just a master class in storytelling. What the fuck are we supposed to do when this is over? 
    MurderbearElisasassyfontainecdriveElSkid
  • Great episode, gives me great hope they stick the landing.
    MurderbearElisasassyfontaine
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    Oh no! You messed up the title. A God Walks into Abar!
    MurderbearElisaCretanBullBloodyTacomanhattniksnoopfernee
  • AshleyAshley Atlanta, GA
    Well, Calhattan was in the preview so maybe he's still got some tricks up his sleeve.
    He said something to Angela about it being important she see him walk on the pool. I'm hoping he can't tell her too much and can only give her clues.
    Any chance he transferred his powers to one of those eggs for Angela? (That said, I might pass out if I get to see Regina King as a god next episode.) 
    BroRad33ElisasassyfontaineElSkid
  • Ashley said:
    Well, Calhattan was in the preview so maybe he's still got some tricks up his sleeve.
    He said something to Angela about it being important she see him walk on the pool. I'm hoping he can't tell her too much and can only give her clues.
    Any chance he transferred his powers to one of those eggs for Angela? (That said, I might pass out if I get to see Regina King as a god next episode.) 

    What if he did and they were in the eggs she smashed on the floor?

  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    edited December 2019
    CapeGabe said:
    Ashley said:
    Well, Calhattan was in the preview so maybe he's still got some tricks up his sleeve.
    He said something to Angela about it being important she see him walk on the pool. I'm hoping he can't tell her too much and can only give her clues.
    Any chance he transferred his powers to one of those eggs for Angela? (That said, I might pass out if I get to see Regina King as a god next episode.) 

    What if he did and they were in the eggs she smashed on the floor?

    He knows exactly how everything has, was, and is happening. If he wanted to make her a god, he wouldn't put the power in eggs she smashed, will smash, is smashing.

    But he's also pretty much an observer and only acts in moments he's supposed to act, so it's really pointless to question any of his actions. Like he says himself, frustrating.
    Elisa
  • Hunkulese said:
    CapeGabe said:
    Ashley said:
    Well, Calhattan was in the preview so maybe he's still got some tricks up his sleeve.
    He said something to Angela about it being important she see him walk on the pool. I'm hoping he can't tell her too much and can only give her clues.
    Any chance he transferred his powers to one of those eggs for Angela? (That said, I might pass out if I get to see Regina King as a god next episode.) 

    What if he did and they were in the eggs she smashed on the floor?

    He knows exactly how everything has, was, and is happening. If he wanted to make her a god, he wouldn't put the power in eggs she smashed, will smash, is smashing.

    But he's also pretty much an observer and only acts in moments he's supposed to act, so it's really pointless to question any of his actions. Like he says himself, frustrating.

    Be careful of the rabbit hole. Why didn't he kill the guy that zapped him? Because it already happened, will happen, is happening.

    Elisa
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Hunkulese said:
    Oh no! You messed up the title. A God Walks into Abar!
    I had it originally that way and decide to change it to the official title. Juuuuust in case that feels spoilery to anyone doing a watch later.
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    CapeGabe said:
    Hunkulese said:
    CapeGabe said:
    Ashley said:
    Well, Calhattan was in the preview so maybe he's still got some tricks up his sleeve.
    He said something to Angela about it being important she see him walk on the pool. I'm hoping he can't tell her too much and can only give her clues.
    Any chance he transferred his powers to one of those eggs for Angela? (That said, I might pass out if I get to see Regina King as a god next episode.) 

    What if he did and they were in the eggs she smashed on the floor?

    He knows exactly how everything has, was, and is happening. If he wanted to make her a god, he wouldn't put the power in eggs she smashed, will smash, is smashing.

    But he's also pretty much an observer and only acts in moments he's supposed to act, so it's really pointless to question any of his actions. Like he says himself, frustrating.

    Be careful of the rabbit hole. Why didn't he kill the guy that zapped him? Because it already happened, will happen, is happening.

    Exactly.
  • Is this the first episode with a post-credits scene?! That was awesome.
    Elisasassyfontainemanhattnik
  • Being able to transfer Dr Manhattan’s powers is now on the table.   I suppose there is one last chance for Dr Manhattan to talk to Lori before he is killed.

    If “nothing ever ends” then how is this going to end tragically?

    Can’t wait to see how walking on water will be a thing in the next episode.   If Angela gets Dr Manhattan powers, will she need to walk in water?

    Angela telling her grand father thru dr Manhattan about Judd Crawford.   What a mind bender for Angela!   Such a crazy show.
    ElisamanhattnikElSkid
  • Only the marriage ends in tragedy. 
  • And who are the "eight million children" Veidt was talking about in the post credits scene?
    DJ_150ElSkid
  • Only the marriage ends in tragedy. 
    Right...  but nothing ever ends...?
  • I’m sure I’m not the only one to have thought this but this was basically the same conceit as “The Constant” from Lost which is probably my favorite episode of television ever. Lindelof always has these crazy sci-fi elements in his shows, but ultimately all of them boil down to a fundamental love story, and I think that’s really beautiful. 
    RyanReesemannstinsonsnoopfernee
  • I would interpret it like this. Nothing ever ends for Manhattan because he is always experiencing things, even things from the past. So past events never end.
  • So Angela Abar ultimately killed Police Chief Judd Crawford by revealing to Will Reeves (through her question) that Judd was a racist. At first, it seems like Will was mind-controlling Judd, but actually Angela was influencing Will. 
    Elisa
  • I think the “nothing ever ends” is more of a response to Ozzi’s “do the end justify the means” comment which sort of played out as Ozzie being frustrated about people not learning and still making bombs?
    animadictio
  • That was so damn good!!!
    ElisasassyfontaineDuckofdoom
  • I know Lindelof said he only wants to do one season, but goddamn Its hard to imagine the show reaching these heights under different show runner.
    nstinson
  • AdmountAdmount Denton, Texas
    edited December 2019
    What a great episode. Obviously it's hard to talk about causality in a meaningful way with Dr. Manhattan (chicken and the egg and all that). But my takeaway is that he was disappointed by the perfect love he got on Europa, he went to seek the limited and flawed love that humans can have. The great thing about human love and relationships is that we embrace them even though they pretty much always end in either breaking up or dying.

    As we saw at the end, Angela is the kind of person that will show up for the relationship even if she knows she can't save Dr. Manhattan in the end. So she's the rare type of person who could be happy being with Dr. Manhattan knowing who he is and knowing how it all ends. That's what makes her special and worth walking up to in the bar in a thematic sense, even if the paradox makes my head hurt if I try to untangle the causality in a literal sense.
    animadictioElisanstinsonsnoopfernee
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    Ok I’ll need some clarification. Why exactly did DM choose Angela of all people in the world? Completely random? 
    Or did it need to be her to get everything set in motion for the things to come? Like doctor strange in the avengers. 
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    edited December 2019
    Ok I’ll need some clarification. Why exactly did DM choose Angela of all people in the world? Completely random? 
    Or did it need to be her to get everything set in motion for the things to come? Like doctor strange in the avengers. 
    It's impossible to really get any clarification with Dr. Manhattan. The answer to every question is because that's the way it happened.

    He's both the most powerful and the most inconsequential being in the universe at the same time 
    CretanBullnstinsonmanhattnikj0n1c4ElSkid
  • edited December 2019
    Just want to point out that Ozymandias' story definitely isn't caught up to the present yet - we learn in this episode that he was transported to Europa in 2009, ten years before the start of the show.  We also didn't visit Ozy in episode 6 (?), so the birthday cake pictured in the post credit scene only has seven candles, meaning that, as of the end of episode 8, veidt is still about three years from the present.  With one episode to go, they will have to fast forward a bit and violate the one episode one year formula, but I think it scans as those three years will presumably be preoccupied with travel time from Europa to Earth.  It took the Juno probe five years to reach Jupiter (one way), so Lady Trieu's rescue vessel (if that is indeed how Veidt gets back to Earth) making the trip in about half the time is juuust within the realm of believability, with her advanced trillionaire technology.
    Elisasassyfontaine
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    Stackpile said:
    Just want to point out that Ozymandias' story definitely isn't caught up to the present yet - we learn in this episode that he was transported to Europa in 2009, ten years before the start of the show.  We also didn't visit Ozy in episode 6 (?), so the birthday cake pictured in the post credit scene only has seven candles, meaning that, as of the end of episode 8, veidt is still about three years from the present.  With one episode to go, they will have to fast forward a bit and violate the one episode one year formula, but I think it scans as those three years will presumably be preoccupied with travel time from Europa to Earth.  It took the Juno probe five years to reach Jupiter (one way), so Lady Trieu's rescue vessel (if that is indeed how Veidt gets back to Earth) making the trip in about half the time is juuust within the realm of believability, with her advanced trillionaire technology.
    I was pretty much right about Veidt being in self imposed exile/retirement, so I'm going to stick with my belief that Veidt's timeline is passing in Europa years, which is about 3.5 Earth days.

    It would be pretty strange to use Earth's measure of time if you were living in Europa.
    Elisa
  • But we know he was sent there in 2009.  If each "year" were only 3.5 days, that would mean that at this point in the story, he's still in 2009 as he's been there less than a month.

    Also, when Veidt says "Four years...fours years since I was sent here" in episode four, that really sounds like he means four Earth years.  I don't think he would be speaking like that if he'd only been there for fourteen days.
    animadictiogjames80
  • Anyone else missing the instant talk portion on the premium feed?
    Elisasnoopferneej0n1c4
Sign In or Register to comment.