410 - Gone

Best feeling ever having the middle seat vacant on a long haul flight?
DummyElisarkcrawf

Comments

• That last 10 mins was just infuriating, ok romantic airport scene is very hack, but goddamn if I wasn’t getting wrapped up in it. Darlene and Dom had some great chemistry, but imo, very little we’d  seen in their relationship would have earned that moment. It felt a little forced. 

I did love Darlene distributing the money, OK ARON TTDAB, a massive transaction like this would probably be heavily scrutinized, but its the universe Esmail wants us to buy, and Im all in. This could have been a great way to end the show, but this is just more table clearing. 

Irving signing books at the airport was so good. The utter horror on Dom’s face was priceless. 
    Elisa
  • Kind of a throwaway episode. I don't care much about Dom or Darlene away from Elliot so that didn't help it.

The redistribution of wealth was fine, and I liked the Irv cameo. 

The airport stuff was bad. You knew what would happen once Dom started running back. 

Whiterose and Elliot sitdown next week.

That should get us back on track
    djfreer
  • Giant bucket of meh. 
  • Darlene is the absolute worst.  Dom deserves better.
  • God please tell  me USA wont try to ram some Darlene led spinoff down my throat  with Dom’s offer to work in cyber security and “growing up”. 
  • djfreer said:
    Best feeling ever having the middle seat vacant on a long haul flight?
    Next best scenario would be having a whole row to yourself catching the red eye from Vegas. #daretodream
  • adobo1148 said:
    God please tell  me USA wont try to ram some Darlene led spinoff down my throat  with Dom’s offer to work in cyber security and “growing up”. 
    Actually, based on Leon’s offer to Darlene, a Darlene/Leon spin-off might be interesting. Im seeing a purely hack of the week set-up with the occasional Leon ass beating. 
    DoubleA_Ron
  • I was getting kinda heated at Dom's grilled cheese sandwich. She burns one side, then she burns the other side, and then flips it back onto the first burnt side to burn it even more. She is a monster and deserves all of the bad things she gets. 
    brewseveltElisarkcrawfDoctor_Nick
  • Pretty stingy on the butter to boot.
  • Worst episode of the season by far, so cheesy in spots and struggled not to cringe. 
  • Waste of time.
  • adobo1148 said:
    adobo1148 said:
    God please tell  me USA wont try to ram some Darlene led spinoff down my throat  with Dom’s offer to work in cyber security and “growing up”. 
    Actually, based on Leon’s offer to Darlene, a Darlene/Leon spin-off might be interesting. Im seeing a purely hack of the week set-up with the occasional Leon ass beating. 
    A couple weeks back I had asked for a Dom/Leon buddy cop sitcom... but yeah, I could absolutely get down with this
  • Felt like I was watching some Ross and Rachel bullshit!

SHE GOT OFF THE PLANE!!
    Elisa
  • BlanchBlanch Tempe, Az
    While I wish the Dom/Darlene connection would have been played up more, I liked this episode for what it was. It wrapped up Dom's story and while yeah Darlene was a bitch for ditching her, I think a solo trip to Budapest might be exactly what Dom needed

It makes sense for Darlene's character who has been known to be a flake. She chooses to stay for Elliot. I thought this was a nice way to have some feels before the big showdown between WR and All the Elliot's.

Nice to see Ivr too!
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    edited December 2019
    I honestly enjoyed the change of pace and focus on Darlene and Dom. They never were really a couple, though they tried. Dom finally let go of her anxieties and left on the plane.  Darlene managed her "being alone" panic attack and finally relied on herself. Joey badass and Canavale were amusing and the acting was great. 
    Blanch
  • I feel like Esmail was in a position after 409 where he could tell Elliot's story in the 3 more episodes but would have had no time to wrap up Darlene and Dom's stories. Regardless, I enjoyed the episode and am definitely excited for the final 3 episodes.
    Elisa
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    Blanch said:
    While I wish the Dom/Darlene connection would have been played up more, I liked this episode for what it was. It wrapped up Dom's story and while yeah Darlene was a bitch for ditching her, I think a solo trip to Budapest might be exactly what Dom needed

It makes sense for Darlene's character who has been known to be a flake. She chooses to stay for Elliot. I thought this was a nice way to have some feels before the big showdown between WR and All the Elliot's.

Nice to see Ivr too!
    Were you background watching the episode? You completely missed what was going on. Darlene was not being a bitch and didn't ditch anyone. Dom ditched her, which led to Darlene having an anxiety attack of being by herself in Budapest. She overcame her anxiety attack and realized she was going to have to deal with her personal shit. She didn't stay for Elliot, and she knew going to Budapest alone didn't make any sense. She also had no idea Dom got on the plane.

I think it's all a moot point anyway. Having Irving coincidentally be signing books at the terminal they were flying out of would be hack writing, as would the Dark Army forgetting about them. Esmail isn't usually a hack. They're still in the Dark Army's pocket and they know exactly how to find them.
    ElisaRayana@rochesterrr.comrkcrawf
  • BlanchBlanch Tempe, Az
    Hunkulese said:
    Blanch said:

Nice to see Ivr too!
    Were you background watching the episode? You completely missed what was going on. Darlene was not being a bitch and didn't ditch anyone. Dom ditched her, which led to Darlene having an anxiety attack of being by herself in Budapest. She overcame her anxiety attack and realized she was going to have to deal with her personal shit. She didn't stay for Elliot, and she knew going to Budapest alone didn't make any sense. She also had no idea Dom got on the plane.

I think it's all a moot point anyway. Having Irving coincidentally be signing books at the terminal they were flying out of would be hack writing, as would the Dark Army forgetting about them. Esmail isn't usually a hack. They're still in the Dark Army's pocket and they know exactly how to find them.
    Potato, tomato
  • The Darlene/Dom stuff doesn't move the needle at all for me.  Perhaps I'm in the minority, but none of it feels earned to the degree it is being pushed.  I have minimal interest in it. 
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    edited December 2019
    The Darlene/Dom stuff doesn't move the needle at all for me.  Perhaps I'm in the minority, but none of it feels earned to the degree it is being pushed.  I have minimal interest in it. 
    I somewhat agree, but I could also see what they went through together with Janice causing a pretty strong bond between the two of them.

I also bought that their initial night together was pretty genuine. Now that I think about it, it is kind of silly that they did the exact same thing with Elliott this season.
  • edited December 2019
    This is the first time in a very long time that I have absolutely no idea how I feel about an episode of television and don't know if I really care or not.  I don't know if there is such a thing as anti-art, but at times it felt that way to me in that I had no real emotional reaction.  Was this necessary?  Was this exactly what we needed?  Fuck if I know.  I feel almost empty from that.  My first reaction was I think this episode maybe sucks even though I like some of the parts individually, but then again, maybe I'm missing why I should care more as a whole?  I also don't feel like it wasted much time, seeing as I don't think we need that many more episodes to wrap this up.  This show continues to baffle in all the ways on and off screen a show can. 

Regardless, this might be the most interesting podcast to me of all of Mr. Robot in that I have absolutely no clue how the boys will feel about it.  It'll probably end up doing more for me than the episode, at any rate.
  • I also want to mention that I really like Darlene and Dom as characters.  And I even like the idea of them together.  But in every way this felt like the sitcom-shadow of something more real.  I felt like I was watching, ahem, robots, on screen trying to present something that should have been more present episodes if not years ago.  I never expected to feel full-on apathy about an episode of a season that I have REALLY liked.  I feel like Esmail trolled me...
    rkcrawf
  • Elisa said:
    I honestly enjoyed the change of pace and focus on Darlene and Dom. They never were really a couple, though they tried. Dom finally let go of her anxieties and left on the plane.  Darlene managed her "being alone" panic attack and finally relied on herself. Joey badass and Canavale were amusing and the acting was great. 
    I'm with you in that I really enjoyed this episode.  Yes it was definitely more "sitcom" like than anything we've ever gotten from Mr. Robot but I'm fine with that.  I genuinely care about both of these characters and even though I knew what was going to happen at the end it still brought about emotions.  Carly Chaikin and Grace Gummer's acting was outstanding in this episode and seeing Irving and Leon again was awesome.  Can't wait till next week to get back to the meat and potatoes of the show but I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. 
    DoubleA_RonElisa
  • Talk about stuff that's BS.  Dom probably could be walking around the day of surgery because she's that tough, but she'd be carrying the suction setup for her chest tube(s) with her. 
  • I think the only reason why Irving doesn't kill Dom or Darlene is because Elliot wasn't with them.  They might still be useful later to be used against Elliot or to lead the dark army to him. Irving was completely up to speed with all the developments which means the dark army structures are still very much intact.
  • I'm just here to praise the use of mayo for the grilled cheese sandwich. It's a secret that will change your life.
  • hitmy said:
    I'm just here to praise the use of mayo for the grilled cheese sandwich. It's a secret that will change your life.
    I just threw up in my mouth. I hope you are happy. Can we at least agree that burning the shit out of the bread is appalling? 
    Elisa
  • I will eat a slice of cheese between two coals before I eat one made with mayo. Abomination.
    Dummy
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Mayo, to me, makes me think they made it from the stuff after they perform liposuction.  I don't eat cheese either, so it's grilled peanut butter all the way for me.
  • I will eat a slice of cheese between two coals before I eat one made with mayo. Abomination.
    I'm with you, I absolutely hate Mayo and Miracle Whip.  Won't touch either of them.  
    bizmarkiefader