The Outsider (HBO) *SHOW SPOILERS ONLY*

ThankthePasserThankthePasser Louisville
edited January 20 in Other TV
Really looking forward to this. Enjoyed the book. Cast looks amazing. Put Ben Mendelsohn in something and I’ll watch it. Wonder if the boys will cover it.
Elisagguenot

Comments

• DeeDee Adelaide
    I’m currently re-reading the novel to prepare for this, as I’d forgotten most of it. I’m keen for the series, but I’ve found other King TV adaptations (Mr Mercedes, 11/22/63, Under The Dome) curiously flat, so I’m mildly worried it won’t live up to the book. 

Mendo, though. He’s been one of my favourite actors since I (and he) was a teenager. If he’s in, I’m in.
    ThankthePasserElisa
  • I found the book captivating when I read it and very readable. I loved the first half the best (9.5/10) and only really enjoyed the 2nd half (7/10). I'm looking forward to seeing how they do this. The first half has some True Detective type vibes to it
    ThankthePasserElisa
  • I thought Mr Mercedes was pretty decent (didn’t see this season) but I wasn’t a huge fan of the books to be gin with. Evidently the guy who adapted this wrote for the Wire and The Deuce so signs point to it being pretty good. The new trailer looks great too (whatever that’s worth)
    Dee
  • I thought Mr Mercedes was pretty decent (didn’t see this season) but I wasn’t a huge fan of the books to be gin with. Evidently the guy who adapted this wrote for the Wire and The Deuce so signs point to it being pretty good. The new trailer looks great too (whatever that’s worth)
    I never read Mr. Mercedes or any of the books in that series. I did think it was strange when they introduced the new characters midway through, but I enjoyed them
  • I actually couldn't stand the book.  I ditched it about 100 pages in.  But the trailer was so great I'm going to give the show a go.
  • Really enjoyed the book— especially the first half like others have said. Based on the cast and the trailers I have high hopes 
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    What a cast. Ben Mendelsohn was the best reason to watch Bloodline (check it out if you haven't watched it.) Add Bateman and a Steven King story and I predict we have a winner. I wonder if the guys will cover this?

Like most of you I really liked the book. The first half is gripping and the second half doesn't disappoint, but maybe it could have been a bit stronger?
  • What a cast. Ben Mendelsohn was the best reason to watch Bloodline (check it out if you haven't watched it.) Add Bateman and a Steven King story and I predict we have a winner. I wonder if the guys will cover this?

Like most of you I really liked the book. The first half is gripping and the second half doesn't disappoint, but maybe it could have been a bit stronger?
    King has a hard time ending his stories. I think partially because the journey is so good that no ending can satisfy-- most of his short stories end well
    Teresa from Concord
  • Looking forward to the premier!
  • Premier was pretty good. I'm definitely into the story. Probably helps that I didn't read the book. It doesn't seem like a very complex show, but I'm in the mood for a good ole whodunit so I'll keep watching. Seeing Bill Camp is making me think of "The Night of", which isn't a good thing. Now I just need to summon the willpower to not read how the whole story ends. 
    gguenotDJ_150ThankthePasser
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City
    This is the kind of show I have to really show restraint and am glad its not on Netlifx or something because I would binge this in a couple days lol. I did not want to stop watching after episode 2 last night.
    ThankthePasser
  • Yea I think it's really captivating even being a book reader. Whats kinda crazy to me is that by the end of ep 2 they covered 50% of the book-- but they did it well and trimmed some King fat
    ThankthePasser
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited January 13
    I regret my re-read. I had forgotten about 90% of what happened but since i had read it again so recently I was just watching it and waiting for each bit I knew was coming to tick over. 
    ThankthePasser
  • Really enjoyed it but I kind of wish I hadn’t read the book. Mendelsohn slaying it as usual. Went ahead and made this a spoiler thread.
    gguenot
  • Is this thread spoilers for show-only or book and show?

Really liked this episode - after getting hooked on the first 2 this lived up to the hype for me. Haven't read the book, but enjoying it as the Stephen King aspects are really starting to show/shine. The addition of Holly Givney as a character is a nice way to mix things up when the show to date had involved somber middle-aged white men talking about dead children - the character is interesting and well portrayed by Cynthia Erivo (I remember her being really good in the movie Widows). Also liked the mystery deepening around Terry's dad and the creepy security company guy. Angry drunk strip-club cop is a bit much perhaps, but overall I like where that arc is going as well.

• Yea we should specify that whether it’s show or show and book spoilers 
    snoopfernee
  • Just show spoilers? I read the book back when it came out but I don’t remember all the details of it. Kind of like it that way.
    gguenot
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I’m glad they had Jeannie address Glory not letting Jessa tell her story. That sort of thing is used as a crappy plot device so often - someone just instantly dismissing a nightmare or story from a child when the mystery would be solved if someone just shut up and listened to the kid. 

Also, if I kept walking in and finding my kid sitting on the edge of the bed staring at nothing and talking about a man in her room, I would be checking all over the house! 
    ElisaTeresa from Concordhisdudeness915
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    Having not read the book I think the first three episodes have been pretty good. However, if there are going to be 10 episodes it feels like things may run stale before it reaches the end. But I'm intrigued enough to see it through, especially because the wife is really digging it
  • If I didn't know better I might have thought this was True Detective season 4. I've really been enjoying this show so far. Not knowing anything about the book, they've done a good job telling the story of a supernatural detective thriller. 
    Elisa
    I am caught up and am loving this series (which is a nice surprise considering how many times I've been burned by bad Steven King adaptations.) Mendelsohn and Erivo are fantastic. The camera angels, lighting, and music add to the mystery for sure. The little girl who plays Jessa is just the right amount of creepy, and I totally agree with @Dee. The mom is wayyy to dismissive.

I can't wait for the rest of the episodes. I hope they do the ending justice. 
    Dee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Teresa from Concord The music makes me feel so unsettled and uncomfortable - that weird low throbbing. It’s not pleasant, but it suits the atmosphere of the show. 
    Teresa from Concord
  • This show has been pretty cool so far. Those illustrations combined with the music at the end of the last episode were downright unsettling. HBO better figure out a way to make more stories with Holly Gibney after this show because she is one of the most interesting characters I've seen in recent memory. 
    rhcoopElisaDeeKillert0ast
    Steven King is in the house! By the end of the episode I was a bit creeped.

What I don't understand is why didn’t Holly ask Maria Coneles if she was scratched? Why didn’t Ralph ask more questions about being scratched in the strip club? Or even use the footage of “Terry” to see if the killer had the scratched Terry had. I’m guessing the killer wouldn’t. I feel like the writers missed an opportunity here. 
    ElisaDee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I’m confusing the book with the show now, because I could have sworn that Claude already told Ralph that Terry had scratched him when he was being interviewed. Did that not happen in the show? 

@Dummy Holly is a (white) character in King’s Mr Mercedes trilogy, and he’s said he’s not finished with her, so we might see more of her in the future. In the Mr Mercedes TV show she was played by Justine Lupe, who is good, and probably more true to King’s version, but Cynthia Erivo’s version is so much more mesmerising on screen. 
    Dummygguenot
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Dee said:
    I’m confusing the book with the show now, because I could have sworn that Claude already told Ralph that Terry had scratched him when he was being interviewed. Did that not happen in the show? 

I'm pretty sure they did. I don't think it registered as anything more than an irrelevant detail to the characters but the show framed it in a way that I remember feeling it had to be important the way they repeated it and lingered on it for a second.
    Dee
  • Whelp I'm officially very worried for that detective's new baby.
    ElisaKillert0ast
    MrX said:
    Whelp I'm officially very worried for that detective's new baby.
    I think that's a very justified worry. I said the very thing to my boyfriend.
    Killert0ast
  • I like how they keep showing scenes that seem out of place then they are explained later in the episodes as small details are given out. It makes the show out you on gaurd and unsettled.
    Elisa