Educate an Aussie about the intricacies of tortilla making please

DeeDee Adelaide
One of the presents I have bought for my daughter for Christmas is a cast iron tortilla press, because she loves a taco or four but it’s hard to get gluten free ones (she’s coeliac) that aren’t the hard kind here. And she’s bored with the hard kind. 

My question is, what kind of grain is best to use? I mean, corn, obviously, but I assume that’s not just your bog standard polenta... is it? Is there a special type for tortillas? Do I need anything else? Do I need to know anything else about the process other than you make the little dough balls and squish them in the press? 

Please share your expertise with me, Mexicans and Tex-Mexicans and other fans thereof. 
Chinaski

Comments

• ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    edited December 2019
    Masa Harina is key imo. this right here pretty much sums it up. super simple:

lemme know how they turn out!

edit: also, put parchment paper at the bottom of the press. much easier to peel away.
    NoelDeeMichelle
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    My guy @Chinaski has good starting advice. Question: do you have the funds to fly my mother out to Australia to give you the full class?
    ChinaskiDeeMurderbearFreddycdriveMichelle
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Chinaski Thank you for the link (and the baking paper tip!). 

@Noel No, but I’ll start saving now for next Christmas. 
    Chinaski
  • Noel said:
    My guy @Chinaski has good starting advice. Question: do you have the funds to fly my mother out to Australia to give you the full class?
    If Latina mums are on offer for cooking classes, there's demand in Toronto too!
    MurderbearFreddyFlukesChinaskiMichelle
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    edited December 2019
    Okay, I feel like this has been a topic before but what are the forum's thoughts on tortillas? Corn or flour? I feel like it almost always boils down to taste vs. structure. Corn tortillas taste better and flour tortillas tend to be sturdier. That said, I'm a corn boy. I'll double wrap if need be.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Noel said:
    I went over to my Pakistani friend's house for a holiday dinner one time, and they were serving biryani. I asked him how to make it and he pointed me to his sister. Her response was "First off, you start by spending 20 years helping my mom make it. Then you spend another 5 or so not quite getting it right in your own kitchen."
    FlukesDeeMichelle
    edited December 2019
    Okay, I feel like this has been a topic before but what are the forum's thoughts on tortillas? Corn or flour? I feel like it almost always boils down to taste vs. structure. Corn tortillas taste better and flour tortillas tend to be sturdier. That said, I'm a corn boy. I'll double wrap if need be.
    I'm flour all the way. Other than personal preference in flavor and texture when it comes to Mexican food, flour is also way more versatile. You can wrap up sandwich ingredients in a flour tortilla and be alright. You ever tried turkey, lettuce, and tomato in corn? Disgusting. Corn is just fine for taqueria meats and as a side to certain Mexican dishes, but that's about it.

As far as flour tortillas not tasting better than corn, what kind of joints are we talking hear? Mission brand or some other long lasting pre-packaged variety, then I agree. Fresh made is a different story. Even a package of fresh ones from Kroger's bakery are good enough on their own to have you eating better than most Karens.
    CretanBullFlukesChinaskiMichelle
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited December 2019
    Noel said:
    Oi, get in line. 
    cdriveChinaskiFlukesCretanBullMichelle
  • Dee said:
    Noel said:
    Oi, get in line. 
    I could offer my mum on loan, but she's very English so unless you need help with potatoes and roast beef she might be of limited use.  Her Yorkshire is A+ though!
    MichelleFreddy
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @CretanBull My dad was English and my maternal grandma was Scottish so I’m already up to date with overcooked Brussels sprouts and watery gravy cheers thanks. 

(I’m teasing. British food has vastly improved. But not among my extended family.)
    CretanBullMichelleMurderbear
  • I always use Maseca yellow corn flour to make my tortillas and use the instructions on the back of the package.  

2 cups Maseca
    1 1/2 cups water 
    https://www.amazon.com/Maseca-Instant-Yellow-Instantanea-Amarillo/dp/B004TD5FJK 

I also use plastic wrap on both sides of the tortilla press & cook them on a cast iron tortilla griddle. Makes for a great soft taco shell. 

Good luck!! 
    ChinaskiDeeNoel
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @brielara27 Thank you! I just found out yesterday that we actually have a Mexican grocer in a suburb not far from me (not something I’d have expected in Australia, but exciting!), so when I go next week I will see if they have the flours you and @Chinaski have mentioned. 
    NoelFreddyChinaski
    Dee said:
    @brielara27 Thank you! I just found out yesterday that we actually have a Mexican grocer in a suburb not far from me (not something I’d have expected in Australia, but exciting!), so when I go next week I will see if they have the flours you and @Chinaski have mentioned. 
    Please take pics of the uniquely "Mexican" products you find in this store. We literally have Mexican grocers as big as regular grocery stores around these parts. I'm really interested to see how they stack up. Especially the butcher section. Bonus points if you snag some shots of marinated tablitas.
    DeeNoelChinaski
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Freddy I will! 
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Dee said:
    I am also interested in the type of Mexican grocers that y’all have on that part of the globe. How far of a drive is it? Are they really that rare?

Heads up, if you’re going in the morning they might have freshly made tortillas in packs of like 25 or so. I recommend getting those so you can compare them to the ones y’all make. Also, I don’t know how you guys consume salsa but check to see if they have salsa made that same day. I prefer green over red but both should fare well.

Also if you get fajita meat, get it lightly marinated because most places over do it.
    DeeFreddyChinaski
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Noel, I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but’s there like eleventy billion miles between Mexico and Australia. We have maybe five Mexican immigrants in this country. I suspect it’s going to be a tiny place that sells a lot of Bob’s Red Mill Ground Corn and cans of those chillies in adobo sauce, and maybe three different types of pickled jalapeños. 

But if they have fresh stuff, I will definitely be trying it out. (It’s about a 15 min drive from my place, btw) 
    Chinaski
  • Freddy said:
    Dee said:
    Please take pics of the uniquely "Mexican" products you find in this store. We literally have Mexican grocers as big as regular grocery stores around these parts. I'm really interested to see how they stack up. Especially the butcher section. Bonus points if you snag some shots of marinated tablitas.
    Hey Freddy,

Here's some pics from one of the local Mexican grocers out here in CA:
    https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/arteagas-food-center-gilroy?start=0

And right next door is the local Nob Hill grocer:
    https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/nob-hill-foods-gilroy-3

Interested to see if it's a similar setup out in Texas.

Chinaski
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    TheY have a website!  https://www.chilemojo.com.au/
    FreddyNoelChinaski
    Noel said:
    Dee said:
    I am also interested in the type of Mexican grocers that y’all have on that part of the globe. How far of a drive is it? Are they really that rare?

Heads up, if you’re going in the morning they might have freshly made tortillas in packs of like 25 or so. I recommend getting those so you can compare them to the ones y’all make. Also, I don’t know how you guys consume salsa but check to see if they have salsa made that same day. I prefer green over red but both should fare well.

Also if you get fajita meat, get it lightly marinated because most places over do it.
    You're burying the lead here. What do you think when you read the word "y'all", @Dee ?
    Well... I know what I'm getting Dee for Christmas:

ChinaskiDee
    8 bucks for Hominy? Corn. Soaked. In. Lye.

Chinaski
    edited December 2019
    Chile Mojo is a cocaine front. Even their website feels like a South Dallas bodega.
    NoelChinaskiDee
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Dee said:
    They have some decent products! 
    Freddy said:
    Chile Mojo is a cocaine front. Even their website feels like a South Dallas bodega.
    Dallas area bodegas: PG > OC > W Dallas > NW Dallas > S Dallas
    ChinaskiFreddyDee
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    this is one of my favorites in my are. there are several throughout the Bay Area..

edited December 2019
    Noel said:
    Dee said:
    They have some decent products! 
    Freddy said:
    Dallas area bodegas: PG > OC > W Dallas > NW Dallas > S Dallas
    Came for the corn powder, stayed for the incredibly reliable brick weed and cocaine connection.
    DeeNoel
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Freddy said:
    Noel said:
    Dee said:

You're burying the lead here. What do you think when you read the word "y'all", @Dee ?
    Texas? 
    NoelFreddy
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited December 2019
    Freddy said:
    8 bucks for Hominy? Corn. Soaked. In. Lye.

That’s in dollaridoos though, so not, like, real money. 
    Freddy
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Guys, what’s the blue flour like? Is there much of a different flavour between that and the regular corn flour? 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Chinaski said:
    this is one of my favorites in my are. there are several throughout the Bay Area..

Ooh that looks so fancy! I am endlessly fascinated by American supermarkets. They are so huge! And so many different things! 
    edited December 2019
    Dee said:
    Guys, what’s the blue flour like? Is there much of a different flavour between that and the regular corn flour? 
    Well... here's the thing about blue corn flour: it's really more of a New Mexico thing, and we don't talk about New Mexico in America since they don't have a major sports team. 

By and large most Americans like actual Mexico more than New Mexico. Trust me, I think it's weird too.
    DeeChinaskicdriveNoel