Expanse Season 4 All Episode Spoilers

So I have no clue what will work best to break down it into chunks but clearly we need a forum for the entire season.

This season had absolutely zero filler and that made for some extremely tense scenes.  I kind of figured Avasarala would lose the election but the big question now is what is she going to do?  All we've ever seen her be is a politician so where does she fit in the world at this point?

Amos always was and always will be my favorite character.  His best line of the season in my opinion was after he jacked the generator from the RCE team and Jess confronts him and eventually says "So don't think I won't shoot you if you pull that kind of shit again."  "Okay.  So does that mean we're not fucking anymore."  "What? Uh, no, it... no I guess."  "Cool. see you later then." 
FlukesElisa

Comments

• I was just about to create this but you beat me to it.

I figured The Expanse - All Seasons and All Books will be needed also and just created it.
    awookiee
  • I've watched the new season twice and I am really stoked for the future. If they do this with the least popular book they should kill the remaining ones. 

The acting was superb by the main and supporting cast. The changes to the book were understandable and for the most part worked.

#AmosForPresident
    Elisa
  • edited December 2019
    Weird plot hole in that they brought up the eye infection, and that everyone was going to be blind in a day, and then a day passed and no one was blind and it never was mentioned again. It would have taken like 30 seconds of dialogue to resolve this. 

Mild book spoiler, but I imagine my non-book reading wife isn’t the only huh? out there: Holden was immune because of his cancer drugs, and Elvi figures that out and gives them to everyone. 
  • mykhailo said:
    Weird plot hole in that they brought up the eye infection, and that everyone was going to be blind in a day, and then a day passed and no one was blind and it never was mentioned again. It would have taken like 30 seconds of dialogue to resolve this. 

Mild book spoiler, but I imagine my non-book reading wife isn’t the only huh? out there: Holden was immune because of his cancer drugs, and Elvi figures that out and gives them to everyone. 
    You must have missed the entire episode or 2 where Holden was going around doing everything for everybody down there because they were blind.  
    SchluppCoryFlukesrhcoopElisasnoopfernee
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    mykhailo said:
    Yep, that's 100% exactly how it played out in the show as well.
  • edited December 2019
    Did I miss an entire episode or something? I don’t remember *anyone* being *actually* blind, just people talking about having progressively worsening vision and how they will be blind tomorrow. And I really especially don’t remember anyone figuring out how to treat it or any resolution at all to that plot point. Weird. 
  • edited December 2019
    mykhailo said:
    Did I miss an entire episode or something? I don’t remember *anyone* being *actually* blind, just people talking about having progressively worsening vision and how they will be blind tomorrow. And I really especially don’t remember anyone figuring out how to treat it or any resolution at all to that plot point. Weird. 
    Yeah there was at least 1 episode where Holden was walking around clearing off the slugs and helping them with things, Amos walked off down a tunnel and freaked out when Holden grabbed him.  Then Holden and the main doctor from the RCE group were trying to figure out a cure and she said something about trying to get his eye fluid. So they do that and Holden reads her the different levels of that and she says you have cancer which then leads to them realizing the reason he isn't blind is his radiation meds that he injects on a normal basis.
    mykhailoElisa
  • edited December 2019
    awookiee said: ....
    Huh. I guess I really must have skipped an episode because I remember literally none of that. 
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    Just gushing about how well I thought they translated a tricky book to the screen isn't very interesting, so I'll bring up the only thing that I didn't like: No Jared Harris or Chad Coleman. I can understand now wanting to pay for those guys in a season that doesn't have much to do with Ceres or Tycho directly, but I missed them.

Avasarala now empowered to say "fuck" is a thing of beauty.
    CapeGabeawookieeElisa
  • Agree they did an admirable job of adapting a difficult book. Chad Coleman was there, just not for very long.
    CoryElisasnoopfernee
  • I don't know if Miller really is gone or not, as I'm not doing book spoilers, but if so, I will miss the investigator angle and what it brought to the show.  And well, I assume there is still a lot to investigate?  I wish there was just a bit more touched on for the future with the protomolecule and big ball of black hole plot, but since the show isn't ending, I'm really curious to how they come back into play.  Ultimately, I loved everything about this season.  The acting was incredible and the productions values...MAN they knocked almost all of it out of the park.  

For now, I'll miss Miller, and am still shocked that "The Investigator" plot is, so far at least, over, but the actor playing Marco was fantastic and the war to come is going to be insane.  Can't wait till next season!
    Elisa
  • Flukes said:
    Just gushing about how well I thought they translated a tricky book to the screen isn't very interesting, so I'll bring up the only thing that I didn't like: No Jared Harris or Chad Coleman. I can understand now wanting to pay for those guys in a season that doesn't have much to do with Ceres or Tycho directly, but I missed them.

Avasarala now empowered to say "fuck" is a thing of beauty.

We got a brief Chad Coleman appearance, when Drummer slugged him.
    FlukesElisa
  • Ashford going out like a MF boss. Him leading the breach team with two guns blazing was pretty sweet, and his death scene was well done. I'll miss David Strathairn being on the show.
    CapeGabeawookieeToadieJanelFlukesElisaMonicaDoctor_Nick
  • I gotta say, as much as I loved this season, not having full coverage has been a damned mega bummer.  Some of the stuff that happens this season would have been amazing to hear A.Ron break down and theorize episode by episode.

Amazon, thanks for bringing it back, but damnit!  Just damnit...
    ElisaCapeGabe
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Loved this season. It was so good and covered the book brilliantly. Great setup for season 5 aka book 5 which is an amazing story. 
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited December 2019
    This season felt emptier. It seemed like it covered 1/2 or 2/3 the amount of story as other seasons, and the stakes were much, much lower too. I'm not convinced that's a bad thing... it's just different.

I got really pumped about the character who was leading Bobbi's gang faction so I'm sad he died. I'm kind of, uh, annoyed that Marco is a thing since Naomi happening to date 2 very important men is world-shrinking.

The dialogue wasn't quite as sharp and the acting felt low energy at times (it seemed like bad direction), so I hope we're not on a long Game of Thrones quality plummet. 

Nitpicking. 8/10. Fun season overall.
    Corysnoopfernee
  • I liked this season even though I think this was the weakest book (though I'm not fully caught up). Their adaption was actually an improvement for me character-wise but I think they kind of messed up the pacing. I would have rather them tightened things up and gotten into like the first third of book 5 by the end of the season, but they opted for filling out the season with setup and foreshadowing instead.

If they were committed to fitting the Ilus plot through the whole season I would have rather gotten the real orbital B-plot from the book.
  • The nerd in me loves the hard science of The Expanse. The scene where they are about to space Marco is interesting. He is floating in the center of the airlock. In microgravity and the vacuum of space if you are a centimeter away from a handrail you can kick and flap your arms until the end of time, you aren't moving any closer to grabbing that rail. I am guessing if the air pressure is low enough in the airlock the same is true.

Later the Martian prisoner blows across the room to get the pliers. I hope a science fiction geek on the International Space Station Mythbusters that on YouTube.

Elisa
  • My wife and I binged the entire season during our 12+ hour travel day post-honeymoon. We both loved the tight pacing and impressive production. I’m a book reader but wife is show only. She thought it was the best season yet. I think they did a great job with probably the weakest book. I also thought they picked a perfect spot to setup the next season. My biggest complaint—please go back to a weekly format Amazon. Dropping every episode all at once is not the ideal format for this type of show. 
    Elisa
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Has Amazon ever did a weekly episode drop of a series before?  I've had it a few months now, but not sure what the norm is with them.
  • Cory said:
    Has Amazon ever did a weekly episode drop of a series before?  I've had it a few months now, but not sure what the norm is with them.
    To my knowledge they always drop the entire series at once. 
    Cory
  • Do we have any idea when the guys will record another podcast for S4?
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Cory said:
    Sounds like it's unlikely they'll suddenly change that then.
  • Do we have any idea when the guys will record another podcast for S4?
    I recall them saying after the holidays in the promo during the Watchmen podcast.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I think they drop Grand Tour weekly on Amazon.  Yes, A & J said after their holiday break, they will go back to The Expanse.
  • Cory said:
    They’ve done others weekly. Romanoffs was weekly after the first two or three. It’s just rare. 
    Elisa
  • Just finished. It was a good season, but I felt it lacked the epic punch of some of the other seasons. I enjoyed it, but the Mars stuff seemed like filler even though it was indirectly tied to the Belter stuff. 

I’m confused. Was the Felicia daughter on the Roci and was Lucia going off with her husband?

Also, did they kill off Ashford and Miller just to save money??
    CoryJaimieT
  • rkcrawf said:
    Just finished. It was a good season, but I felt it lacked the epic punch of some of the other seasons. I enjoyed it, but the Mars stuff seemed like filler even though it was indirectly tied to the Belter stuff. 

I’m confused. Was the Felicia daughter on the Roci and was Lucia going off with her husband?

Also, did they kill off Ashford and Miller just to save money??
    I think the daughter was just leaving to go to a college in Sol system. 

Miller’s storyline was faithful to the book and Ashford actually wasn’t involved in the story after book 3, so I don’t think it was a financial decision. 

Honestly, I’m so pumped for S5. They’ll be adapting what I believe is one of the strongest books of the series. 
    ElisasnoopferneeSchlupp
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    The Mars story is extremely important and setup for season 5. The Avasarala political story is also very important.  That said season 4 was always going to be a little different from season 2 and 3 due to the Ilus story. Hang on to your lasagna partner, we’re in for a helluva ride in season 5. 
    CapeGabesnoopferneeawookieeSchlupp
  • And this is the exact reason Amazon fucked up big time by releasing it all at once. There was 9 days of discussions about the new season and now there's been a 7 day gap since the last message. 
    CapeGabeElisaCorysnoopferneePeepsrhcoop