Star Wars Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker *SPOILER DISCUSSION*

We need a spoiler thread for this before spoilers get posted in the main thread.

Comments

• JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited December 2019
    I can't wait to hear reactions about this.
  • I have little to say about it, other than it was a steaming pile of garbage.
    kojiattwoodElisaSabredjgguenot
  • Can anybody confirm that the early leaks were accurate? 
  • Dummy said:
    Can anybody confirm that the early leaks were accurate? 
    I don't know what the early leaks were, but I can confirm that every stupid idea imaginable was in this movie.  What were the leaks?
    ElisaSabredj
  • edited December 2019
    Dummy said:
    I don't know what the early leaks were, but I can confirm that every stupid idea imaginable was in this movie.  What were the leaks?
    There was an entire outline of the plot that I read from Reddit:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/cxmfsv/the_basic_plot_of_episode_ix_the_rise_of/

The dumbest things I saw were Death Star Destroyers, old ass Palpatine, wasting time looking for something called "Wayfinder", force mind link, and that Rey is Palpatine's granddaughter. 
    Elisa
  • Dummy said:
    Dummy said:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/cxmfsv/the_basic_plot_of_episode_ix_the_rise_of/

The dumbest things I saw were Death Star Destroyers, old ass Palpatine, wasting time looking for something called "Wayfinder", force mind link, and that Rey is Palpatine's granddaughter. 
    I'm about to go to bed so I haven't looked at the outline, but yes to everything that you mentioned.
    DummyElisa
  • Dummy said:
    Dummy said:

I'm about to go to bed so I haven't looked at the outline, but yes to everything that you mentioned.
    That's all I need to know. Thanks for saving me some money. 
    kojiattwoodElisa
    I read the leaks a few months ago and I've heard from multiple sources they are accurate. 
    edited December 2019
    The Hux mole storyline gave me..... SO MUCH DOPAMINE. Reliably so. I'm very excited that's real. That was the only place that character could go after getting trashed in TLJ. 

To me, that was the only pure bit of writing in there.

If I'm ever sad, I close my eyes and think about Hux glowering at Kylo... and deciding he's defecting.

I just really wanted Kylo to live so they could have an awkward chance encounter in the Resistance break room afterwards.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Man...I've been hearing this shit sucks.  As in, the WORST of all 9 movies.  No fucking way could it be as bad as Phantom Menace, right?  .....right?  I'm a little bummed about this pumping the brakes on my hype train.  I was digging those red storm troopers with jet packs, and the return of B-Wings.
    Freddy
  • cdrive said:
    Man...I've been hearing this shit sucks.  As in, the WORST of all 9 movies.  No fucking way could it be as bad as Phantom Menace, right?  .....right?  I'm a little bummed about this pumping the brakes on my hype train.  I was digging those red storm troopers with jet packs, and the return of B-Wings.
    This movie played out like it was written by internet trolls who hated The Last Jedi, half the movie was spent re-conning.  Instead of allowing TLJ be the set up for this movie, they kind of crammed two movies into one here (and rushed it all) so that JJ could set up this movie himself.  I think even people who hated TLJ will have to admit that this was a really bad decision and made the whole movie a complete mess.  If you're a middle aged person who can't let go of your childhood and you just want more of the same but repackaged, you might like this.  If you want a  ̶g̶o̶o̶d̶   ̶d̶e̶c̶e̶n̶t̶  marginally passably acceptable movie you won't find it here.

Elisaseauxphie
    Reylo fans should love this movie too. 
    CretanBull
  • JaimieT said:
    Reylo fans should love this movie too. 
    I thought that was 'ok'...it was expected.  Kylo/Adam Driver was the best thing about the movie.
  • I’m going to bed, so I’m not going to elaborate much here, but I wish I’d taken an edible and just went and seen Cats instead. 

I’ll let the lovely Kristy Puchko sum up my thoughts on this for now, and just say that this movie is a monument to cowardice. 

J.J. Abrams sucks.
    Elisa
  • I just got out of the show, so this is my hot take. 

Episode 9 is not going to be liked by people that loved the Last Jedi. I strongly dislike TLJ bc it doesn’t do its job as a sequel, and is tonally off from the better Star Wars movies. I really liked RoS because it did something different with the story, while remaining true to the source material and the arc started in Ep 7. There is some Force fuckery, questionable character moments, and odd moments, but I felt satisfied throughout the movie. 

I would put it as my 3rd fav SW movie behind episodes I and II. It had the right amount of emotional weight, good pacing, and held together as a story. I could see my 10 yr old self loving it, while my “older” self still got a thrill out of it. 

• cdrive said:
    Don’t believe the haters. I can see people not liking it for one reason or another, but anyone says it’s in the bottom half is trolling or they don’t get Star Wars movies. There’s no argument that it’s below the prequels. It exceeds them by every measure. I don’t want to repeat old arguments about TLJ, but I’m happy to shine a light on the brighter moments in Rise. 
    joepinetreecdrivePreservedKillickPangs
  • “Hey Rose, come on we’re going to do space stuff to save the galaxy!” 

“Oh I’m sorry I have to stay out of the movie.”

”Why?”

”Reasons.”

God, fuck this movie in the face. Okay now I’m going to bed, I had to type that somewhere.
    CretanBullAww_PHuuCkdarwinfeeshyElisa
  • This is not a great movie. It is not a terrible movie either. It is certainly better than 2 of the prequels.

There's two ways you can go with a project like this. You either really play up the nostalgia factor (think the Force Awakens, AHS 1984, etc) or you use it to go into a completely new direction (think the recent Watchmen, the stuff subverting super hero expectations, like the Boys). I didn't hate the last jedi, but I didn't like it. Not because it tried something new, but because it pulled back at the last second and reset everything. Get Kylo and Rey together, subvert expectations, go a new direction, say fuck you to the resistance and the first order, I'd love it. But it pointed a bunch of stuff (war merchants profiting from both sides, etc) and took it nowhere.

So I am fine with this movie. It over-corrects on the nostalgia part, but, honestly, that is what star wars is. Ultimately I would have preferred something like the Thrawn trilogy, but this was fine.

As for "middle aged person who can't let go of their childhood," I mean, that is what star wars is.

And honestly, it's not a bad thing. The first movie I ever remember watching was A New Hope when I was 4 with my dad, and I thought Luke was a nickname for George Lucas, because when it said a "a movie by George Lucas" my little 4 year old brain couldn't understand what a director was. The last time I went to the theaters with my dad before he died was to watch episode 3. Today's movie, if over indulgent and sometimes over the top, still triggered that part of my brain that reminded me of watching those movies with my dad. Which is more than most movies make me feel. And if it's not going to blow up the conventions of the genre, (and TLJ didn't either), that is pretty good.

Cory
  • As a movie this was alright as an end to the saga solid meh.

there were a lot of things that will make a lot of people angry.

i think Rey being a Palpatine is far better than her being a secret Skywalker. That will frustrate people but it wasn’t a big thing for me

The traitor plot was horrendous but a lot of the rest of the movie is fine.

I was sick of the Dues ex Machina 75 times in this movie even though it is all the way through the saga. Force powers in this movie seemed to be on steroids compared to all the other movies, flips jumps etc were far beyond previous use even with some very powerful Jedi/Sith in other episodes
  • Yasssss... I was hoping for a stealth first-run Bald Movie review, and the boys did not disappoint.
    FreddyJaimieT
  • JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    edited December 2019
    Bloated, ridiculous at times, but fun (in a Fast and Furious sort of a way). There are enough interesting ideas that it left me (again) thinking “Oh, what could’ve been”... if only they’d had a plan and shown a little restraint.

Ah well.
    Pangs
  • edited December 2019
    Well, it didn't suck. However there was something lifeless about a lot of the film. Just a pretty hollow experience sadly. 

As someone who LOVES the Last Jedi, while there were certainly "digs" at it, it actually didn't feel like the big middle finger that critics made it out to be. I will say there was absolutely no good reason Rose couldn't have at least been part of the fetch quest. And I don't want to hear that it should be only the big 3. It could've been the 4 of them just like how Lando was a part of the adventure in ROTJ after becoming a principal character in the prior film. It kind of pisses me off that JJ let the fucking haters win on that one.
    seauxphie
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited December 2019
    rkcrawf said:

cdrive said:
    Don’t believe the haters. I can see people not liking it for one reason or another, but anyone says it’s in the bottom half is trolling or they don’t get Star Wars movies. There’s no argument that it’s below the prequels. It exceeds them by every measure. I don’t want to repeat old arguments about TLJ, but I’m happy to shine a light on the brighter moments in Rise. 
    I hated Force Awakens and didn't like The Last Jedi, but I did think that the Last Jedi was a much better (but still not good) movie.  Rise of Skywalker was a really bad movie, the worst of the three by a long shot and is definitely worse than the prequels.  They're better made and look stunning, but they've done more damage to the themes and mythology of Star Wars.  You say that people who don't like this (or consider it among the worst) 'don't get Star Wars movies' but I totally disagree.  I think that it's JJ who doesn't get Star Wars. The one redeeming quality of The Last Jedi is that Rian Johnson fundamentally understood Star Wars - he made some terrible decisions, but they were decisions made from a fundamental understanding of what Star Wars is.

In Force Awakens, JJ ruined the original characters - he shit all over their arcs and completely trashed them.  In Rise of  Skywalker he finished the job by shitting all of their accomplishments.  According to JJ, none of those characters amounted to shit and none of their accomplishments were worth anything.

In JJ's world, that's a picture of a bunch of fools celebrating their non-victory over a still living Emperor.  Take note of Han's smile because its the last time you'll see him do it.  JJ will destroy his marriage, have his beloved ship stolen, have his son turn out to be a psychopath and then kill him.  It's not his critics who don't get Star Wars.  It's JJ.

Rian understood the importance of balance. In Star Wars when one side gets too powerful, the other side is compensated.  Rian presented a true to the original story where when one side of the forces rises in power, the universe compensates.  Rian gave us a Luke who understood this.  In the original films, Luke became a Jedi when he didn't fight (he literally threw his lightsaber away).  Yoda taught him that ("Wars don't make great Warriors", "You won't need your weapons").  Luke's force projection in TLJ that so many people hate is the single most Jedi-like thing presented in any of the movies.  He distracted his enemies long enough to allow his friends to escape and sacrificed himself in the process.  That should sound familiar.

JJ doesn't understand (or maybe he does but doesn't care about) any of this.  JJ does fan service.  Rian pushed Star Wars forward (or tried to).  People didn't like that.  They didn't want new, they wanted old repackaged.  Rian made a flawed but ambitious movie.  Fans - most of whom I would also argue don't get Star Wars, at least not in terms of themes and mythology - didn't like that.  So JJ came in with his eraser, killed the ambition and gave the trolls what they wanted.  It would take a lot of convincing to make me believe that the damage that JJ's movies have done to Star Wars isn't worse than Jar-Jar and midichlorians.

Sorry @rkcrawf if this comes across as a personal attack of any sort, it isn't meant to...I just used your post as a springboard to rant because I've seen similar arguments made and I felt like sharing my 2 cents :) 

DummyRyanReesemanJaimieTFreddyAww_PHuuCkMichelleseauxphieDoctor_Nick
  • @CretanBull I don't share your opinion on the films but you perfectly illustrated why I loved RJ's take on Star Wars. I felt like he got it, he just got almost too bold for the fanbase (really worked for me though). The only thing I think RJ doesn't fully grasp is humor that consistently fits Star Wars.
    JaimieTsnoopfernee
  • edited December 2019
    Welp, at least Chewie got his medal.

All it took was for Luke, Han, and Leia to die.
    RyanReesemanFreddyAww_PHuuCkCapeGabeMichelleA_Ron_Hubbard
  • @CretanBull I don't share your opinion on the films but you perfectly illustrated why I loved RJ's take on Star Wars. I felt like he got it, he just got almost too bold for the fanbase (really worked for me though). The only thing I think RJ doesn't fully grasp is humor that consistently fits Star Wars.
    People say this a lot about the humor but like, it’s not the 1970s anymore, and humor evolves just like everything else. There’s no reason that humor in 1977 should be the absolute touchstone of what is funny in the Star Wars universe. That goes for things like technology and costumes and cinematography and whatever else it is that contributes to people saying that something doesn’t fEeL like Star Wars.

The inability for a certain segment of the fanbase to let this universe evolve with our actual real world is a big factor in all the backlash that the Disney movies continue to get. 
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    I liked it a lot, but I'm not a seasoned, hardcore Star Wars vet. I've seen them all, I pretty much like them all apart from Attack Of The Clones.

The discussion of Star Wars has become an actual drain for me on my enjoyment of it, more than the actual varying quality of the films themselves. It feels like the fanbase has become a venomous snake that won't stop trying to eat itself. I don't have the energy for it.

I'm happy to just leave it with the fact that I had a great time in the cinema. Was the Rey/Palpatine connection an unnecessary push? 100%. Was it kind of bullshit that Rose was cast aside? 100%. You can blame the wave of Last Jedi hate for things like that. JJ tried to put two films into one here, and he didn't need to. 

darwinfeeshyRyanReesemanAww_PHuuCkElisaA_Ron_Hubbard
    I think Disney pushes the narrative of the toxic fan base to get the blame off itself. Execs have even deliberately needled them. ("The Force is female.") I think criticizing the fans for their honestly obtained opinions is just doing the work of the rich. 

Star Wars fans aren't unusually bad. The Star Wars franchise is unusually bad.
    CapeGabekojiattwoodElisaA_Ron_Hubbarddarwinfeeshy
  • edited December 2019
    A. Ron in the spoiler review:

"Someone tell the ground base shield system on Hoth that you can't power shields, IN ATMOSPHEEERE!!!!!! WHAT?!  C'MON!"

@38:10

RyanReesemanFreddyCapeGabeMichelleElisaA_Ron_Hubbard
  • It was okay as a standalone movie (much like Last Jedi), but as part of a series it wasn't very good.

It felt like Game of Thrones final season where everything needed to happen quickly so it just was jumping from one thing to the next.

I saw the guys released a podcast last night so I'm interested to hear their thoughts. 
    ElisaPangs