Bald Move writers?

On this week's lunch, both Jim and Cecily voiced a desire to write fiction in the future and it got me wondering if there are any other writers in the Bald Move community. I'm 28 and have been writing every day since January of 2017 (I might have missed a couple here and there) and while I still haven't managed to finish anything I believe to be publishable, I have fallen in love with the process of writing itself. I find it challenging, but also very rewarding.

From the initial digging for ideas to the three-dimensional chess game of editing, I find the whole thing fascinating. The best piece of advice I could give to Jim, Cecily or anyone else reading this would this who would like to write Fiction would be this: just to have an idea of what you want to accomplish going in, and then just get through the first draft. You can fix a first draft. It's easy to get bogged down in feeling like you've made mistakes and not make it to the end - I already have a graveyard of abandoned ideas behind me. But Ive found if you actually finish the story, even if it's not great, you can now see what it could be, and you can begin scheming ways to get make it great.

In the preface to Joe Hill's new collection of short stories, Full Throttle, Hill writes 'If you Google "How do I write a book?" you'll get a million hits, but here's the dirty secret: It's just math. It's not even hard math--it's first grade addition. Write three pages a day, every day. In a hundred days, you'll have three hundred pages. Type "The End." Done.'

It's not quite as easy as that, and Hill wryly adds a few paragraphs later, 'As I said, writing a book is just math. Writing a good book, that's something else entirely.'

But it really is as simple as committing yourself and your time to working it out, and I think that's what Hill is getting at. 

I can relate to Jim and Cecily's feelings of reading a bestselling novel and thinking 'I can do better than that.' But for all I've said, I still haven't managed to write anything that hangs together in a way that I can't pick holes in. But I believe I can get there. And I believe both Jim and Cecily (and ARon too if he every wanted to get back into it!), with the thousands of hours of fiction consumption behind them, could definitely do it too!

Anyway, if there are any other writers out there in the Bald Move community, I am here to talk about all things writing with you. Everybody's process is different, but I've found from talking with other writers that there can be helpful overlaps here and there.

Happy holidays everyone!
Cecily

Comments

• I've tried writing a book several times in my life but I've never come close to finishing.  This might be an odd thing to say, but I don't like my own writing style.  I love reading, and I really, really appreciate good writing...but nature gave me a math/science brain and an engaging writing style isn't in the cards for me.

Having said that, I have managed to write two screenplays that I'm proud of.  I managed to get one of them into the hands of a pretty well-known director (Warren P Sonoda https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1284464/) he liked it and gave me a lot of really good feedback on how I could make minor tweaks that would make it more filmable...but I haven't acted on that advice yet, it's sitting on my computer waiting for a re-write.

Freddy
  • edited December 2019
    I've tried writing a book several times in my life but I've never come close to finishing.  This might be an odd thing to say, but I don't like my own writing style.  I love reading, and I really, really appreciate good writing...but nature gave me a math/science brain and an engaging writing style isn't in the cards for me.

Having said that, I have managed to write two screenplays that I'm proud of.  I managed to get one of them into the hands of a pretty well-known director (Warren P Sonoda https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1284464/) he liked it and gave me a lot of really good feedback on how I could make minor tweaks that would make it more filmable...but I haven't acted on that advice yet, it's sitting on my computer waiting for a re-write.

No better time to start the re-write than today ;-)
    CretanBullTomalexwhithamNoel
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I write fiction. I wrote just about every day from 2004-2010, then less and less as life shut me down for a while (long story) and I'm only recently getting back to it. Nice to meet you. :)
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    I’m published but nothing personal. Just a bunch of articles in industry magazines.  I got some close pals in Chicago that used to do NaNoWriMo. Ever heard of that? Seems super fun. I’ve never done fiction. 
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    cdrive said:
    I’m published but nothing personal. Just a bunch of articles in industry magazines.  I got some close pals in Chicago that used to do NaNoWriMo. Ever heard of that? Seems super fun. I’ve never done fiction. 
    First book: "Your Co-Worker Will Be Your Captor: The First Days of the Uprising"
    cdrive
  • JaimieT said:
    I write fiction. I wrote just about every day from 2004-2010, then less and less as life shut me down for a while (long story) and I'm only recently getting back to it. Nice to meet you. :)
    That's a long time to have written frequently. I imagine you'll slip back into it pretty easily, and you'll have a whole new decade of life experience to draw from too. Keep us updated if you get back in to it!
    JaimieT

• cdrive said:
    Yeah, NaNoWriMo in the UK (where I'm from) is November. I've never attempted it, but might be time to give it a go in 2020. It's roughly 2.5K words a day if you want to write an 80K word book in a month. Fairly difficult, but definitely doable.
  • I was very interested in this conversation during lunch. Would love to hear more in the future if they would like to share.
    TomalexwhithamFreddyneilfgks
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    I wrote a book and self published it on Amazon a couple years ago.

I then realized I hate advertising and trying to sell myself so it never really went anywhere. I also wrote a few movie scripts and some short stories, but I suck at asking for help, so again it all went nowhere.
  • I wrote a book and self published it on Amazon a couple years ago.

I then realized I hate advertising and trying to sell myself so it never really went anywhere. I also wrote a few movie scripts and some short stories, but I suck at asking for help, so again it all went nowhere.
     I can relate.I just want to be able to live off my writing and not have to work any of my other jobs. Hardly a lofty ambition, but without going through the traditional route of publishing it's hard to see how to pull it off without taking on a second job as your own publicist. I'd really rather someone else took that job on...

I suppose you've just got to keep doing the best work you can and hope it somehow ends up in the right person's hands.
  • @Tomalexwhitham ; Thanks for the encouragement and advice!

A bunch of years ago I got most of the way through NaNoWriMo (about 35k words) on a shitty fan fiction by just thinking of it as daily wordcount and assuming that it's a first draft and it was going to be terrible. I read it again a couple years ago and, yes, it was terrible, but there were also a couple things I still liked about it.

That said, I obviously agree with the idea that you just need to start writing and then don't stop. Make it part of your routine. Seems like several of you have already done that, whether you're just starting or getting back in the habit after a break.

My plan for this holiday break is to spend at least a little time every day writing. Wish me luck! And good luck to anyone else trying to write something in the new year.

@CretanBull ; Finish that screenplay! Seriously. We could be talking about one of your movies / shows some day and that would be incredible!
    JaimieTMattyWeavesTomalexwhithamneilfgksTeresa from ConcordFreddy