2019 Top 10 - Bald Move fans edition

MrXMrX CO
edited December 2019 in Other TV
It's that time of the year! My list in order(ish) ... I'd say my top 3 are pretty locked in but the rest are very close to each other.

1. Succession
2. Watchmen
3. Fleabag
4. Chernobyl
5. Mr. Robot
6. The Expanse
7. Barry
8. Russian Doll
9. Unbelievable
10. Baby Yoda

How about y'all?
cdriveFreddypavlovsbell

Comments

• I found it kind of hard to rank the shows because they are all so different 

1. Chernobyl 
    2. Mr Robot
    3. Barry 
    4. True Detective 
    5. Stranger Things 3 
    6. FleaBag
    7. Watchmen 
    8. Legion 
    9. Mindhunter 
    10. The Mandolorian   
  • edited December 2019

1.Mr Robot 
    2.Watchmen
    3.Fleabag
    4.Undone
    5.Stranger Things
    6.True Detective 
    7.The Great British Baking Show
    8.Patriot Act With Hasaan Minaj
    9.Santa Clarita Diet
    10. Chernobyl 

Only reason Chernobyl is so low is bc I haven’t seen it but is on everyone’s top 3 and I will probably binge soon. 

• Succession
    Watchmen
    What We Do In The Shadows
    Mindhunter
    Barry
    Fleabag
    Chernobyl
    Catastrophe
    Unbelievable
    The Boys

• cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    I don’t know if I can get up to 10....in order:

Chernobyl
    When They See Us
    True Detective
    Watchmen
    Stranger Things 3
    Marianne
    Barry
    Mindhunter
    American Horror Story 1984
    Mando

Ooh I did get to 10! 

• JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    1. Succession
    2. Everything else
    MrXFreddy
  • Watchmen
    The Expanse
    Succession
    Fleabag
    Dark
    The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    The Boys
    True Detective
    Legion
    Stranger Things

• I guess I’ll have to give Succession a try, have the fellas shown any interest?
  • adobo1148 said:
    I guess I’ll have to give Succession a try, have the fellas shown any interest?

I think Jim watched part of season 1? I haven't heard them say anything about season 2.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Unbelievable was so far ahead of everything else for me this year, even Chernobyl. So my no 1 and 2 are in order, everything else is no particular order: 

1. Unbelievable
    2. Chernobyl 
    Dead To Me
    Catastrophe
    True Detective 
    Stranger Things
    The Boys
    Years and Years 
    This Way Up 
    Big Mouth 

• edited December 2019
    Top 10 of 2019
    Succession (pure TV crack)
    Watchmen: Tulsa
    The Boys
    Expanse
    Great British Baking Show
    Boba Fett: The Series
    Legion
    Rick & Morty
    Stranger Things
    Star Blazers: Yamato 2202 (on Funimation)

Top 10 of the Decade (premiered 2010 or later)
    The Americans
    Twin Peaks The Return
    Justified
    Game of Thrones
    Succession
    Expanse
    Better Call Saul
    Fargo
    Rick & Morty
    Halt & Catch Fire

ken hale
  • edited December 2019
    MrX said:
    adobo1148 said:

I think Jim watched part of season 1? I haven't heard them say anything about season 2.
    I want Jim and A.Ron to sit down over the holidays, with less demands for their time, and binge Succession with an open mind.  I think their initial reaction was “I don’t feel like watching a bunch of rich white people” - but the show is so so much more than that.  I don’t even want them to do a podcast on it, I just want them to enjoy another top notch HBO production.
    MrX
  • joejerryronnie said:
    I want Jim and A.Ron to sit down over the holidays, with less demands for their time, and binge Succession with an open mind.  I think their initial reaction was “I don’t feel like watching a bunch of rich white people” - but the show is so so much more than that.
    Somehow it transcends this limitation with amazing writing and performances. It can be appreciated as a soap (a la Dallas and Dynasty back in the day), a black comedy, and Shakespearean tragedy. And whether we like it or not, it is a sort of parable for our times.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    This is a tough list. Only easy part is putting Succession at the top. Season 1 was good, and 2 was just flat out awesome.
  • adampasz said:
    joejerryronnie said:
    I want Jim and A.Ron to sit down over the holidays, with less demands for their time, and binge Succession with an open mind.  I think their initial reaction was “I don’t feel like watching a bunch of rich white people” - but the show is so so much more than that.
    Somehow it transcends this limitation with amazing writing and performances. It can be appreciated as a soap (a la Dallas and Dynasty back in the day), a black comedy, and Shakespearean tragedy. And whether we like it or not, it is a sort of parable for our times.
    Yes, this.  It may take a few episodes to really get into it but the payoff is wonderful.  Plus, I’d like to get Jim and A.Ron’s take on the Rockstar and the Mole Woman.
  • Watchmen
    Flea Bag
    Succession
    Mr Robot
    Wu Tang: An American Saga
    Years and Years
    Stath Lets Flats
    Rick & Morty

I think if I added two more it would only be for the sake of making it 10.

• JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited December 2019
    MrX said:
    adobo1148 said:

I want Jim and A.Ron to sit down over the holidays, with less demands for their time, and binge Succession with an open mind.  I think their initial reaction was “I don’t feel like watching a bunch of rich white people” - but the show is so so much more than that.  I don’t even want them to do a podcast on it, I just want them to enjoy another top notch HBO production.

The TV reviewer Sepinwall didn't like it, and it takes 4 episodes to get going (for me), and I think those are the biggest impediments for them if I'm reading between the lines. 

Honestly I'm still baffled Sepinwall didn't like it.

He liked Greg at least. He's not a monster.
    MrX
  • adampasz said:
    Top 10 of 2019
    The Boys
    Expanse
    Legion
    Rick & Morty
    Stranger Things

The Americans
    Twin Peaks The Return
    Justified
    Game of Thrones
    Succession
    Expanse
    Better Call Saul
    Fargo
    Rick & Morty
    Halt & Catch Fire

Ooh top ten of the decade, I need to think about that. Your list is pretty solid, at least half (if not more) would probably be on mine too

The Watch just did a top ten of the decade episode with Sam Esmail, was a fun listen.
    Elisa
    1. Chernobyl
    2. Fleabag
    3. Barry
    4. Succession
    5. Stranger Things
    6. The Expanse
    7. I Think You Should Leave
    8. The Witcher
    9. True Detective
    10. Watchmen

I think the only other show I watched this year was Game of Thrones, so top ten doesn't mean so much.

• Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited December 2019

The Watch just did a top ten of the decade episode with Sam Esmail, was a fun listen.
    Yeah, apparently I need to check out Mindhunter, the OA and the Knick.  
    Elisa
  • MrX said:
    adampasz said:
    Top 10 of 2019
    The Boys
    Expanse
    Legion
    Rick & Morty
    Stranger Things

The Americans
    Twin Peaks The Return
    Justified
    Game of Thrones
    Succession
    Expanse
    Better Call Saul
    Fargo
    Rick & Morty
    Halt & Catch Fire

Ooh top ten of the decade, I need to think about that. Your list is pretty solid, at least half (if not more) would probably be on mine too

Yeah great episode of the Watch inspired me.  These are the shows I felt drawn to watch week after week. A few other shows I really liked (Stranger Things, Daredevil, Good Place, Crazy Ex), but I felt lacked the consistency.

I also still need to catch up on Fleabag and Mindhunter.

Elisa
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    edited December 2019
    MrX said:
    Maybe I’m just being a hater but Sam Esmail is very annoying at times when he does this at the end of the year. He starts off with saying that Euphoria is the best show the year, saying that he doesn’t care about plot. But then he criticizes Succession because he can guess where the show ends up at the end of season 2. Pick a side man. And to say that Fleabag’s first season is better than the first...nah man. You’re praising the technical work in other shows but you can’t recognize that season 2 of Fleabag was clearly better from a technical stand standpoint. So annoying. Again, maybe I’m just being a hater.

Sorry, had to get that off my chest. Just a side note. I’m working on my top 10 list, not that anyone cares. I have most of it set but I’m watching The Expanse and Watchmen over my holiday break so I’m holding off because I feel like they’ll likely make my list. Cheers everyone. 
    Deepavlovsbell
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited December 2019
    Noel said:
    Maybe I’m just being a hater but Sam Esmail is very annoying at times when he does this at the end of the year. He starts off with saying that Euphoria is the best show the year, saying that he doesn’t care about plot. But then he criticizes Succession because he can guess where the show ends up at the end of season 2. Pick a side man. And to say that Fleabag’s first season is better than the first...nah man. You’re praising the technical work in other shows but you can’t recognize that season 2 of Fleabag was clearly better from a technical stand standpoint. So annoying. Again, maybe I’m just being a hater.

Yeah, they actually called Esmail on that when it happened, I'm not sure he really explained what he meant, maybe that Succession was too old timey and not novel enough of a narrative for him?

Personally I also don't subscribe to his "plot is besides the point" schtick.  Yes, if something is really well done, you give plot holes more a pass, but I am not a fan of incoherent movies or shows because the visuals or characters are somehow fascinating.....  
    Noelpavlovsbell
  • edited December 2019
    Great topic idea! In order of personal appreciation:

1) Deadwood movie
    2) Succession
    3) Chernobyl
    4) The Boys
    5) The Righteous Gemstones
    6) True Detective 3
    7) Pen15 (I forgot this came out this year)
    ***Those Fyre festival documentaries that Hulu and Netflix both did on the same weekend.
    ***Walking Dead, actually, is back to being enjoyable, rather than infuriating, schlock. 

Stuff I haven't watched/finished that would probably be on the list:
    Umbrella Academy
    Expanse 4

Stuff I'm surprised nobody put on their list thus far:
    Game of Thrones (final season had a lot of defenders at the time, but no love now)
    Big Little Lies 2 (first was great, this seemed unnecessary; I haven't watched it yet)
    Euphoria (was it shite or just aimed at the wrong demographic for hbo?)
    When They See Us (was pretty hyped when it debuted) EDIT: now I see cdrive got it

• MrXMrX CO
    edited December 2019
    Oh yea Esmail's thought process is mostly incoherent, but that and the interplay between him and Chris and Andy (and Kaya - props to them for including her in the episode) make it entertaining to me at least.

I figure the person who has what it takes to make 4 seasons of Mr. Robot rattling around in his brain isn't going to make sense all the time.
    ElisaNoel
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    edited December 2019
    Dark
    The OA
    Mr Robot
    Legion
    The Expanse
    Undone
    Watchmen
    Chernobyl
    Years and Years 
    True Detective 
    Fleabag
    Killing Eve

In no particular order 

lol 12

awookiee
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Regarding Sam’s list for top ten of the decade, surprisingly he and I have very similar tastes. That said I still need to watch Euphoria and Succession. I’ve tired of YA shows of late and succession overall arc doesn’t really excite me. Geez a top ten list of the decade is too damn hard lol. My headaches. Hahaha 
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited December 2019
    In no order whatsoever, just the shows I enjoyed best in 2019:

Fleabag
    The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    This Is Us
    A Million Little Things
    Big Little Lies
    Barry
    True Detective
    Stranger Things
    Umbrella Academy
    American Horror Story
    The Great British Baking Show
    NoelElisa
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited December 2019
    1. Mandolorian 
    2. Stranger things
    3. Fleabag
    4. Chernobyl
    5. True dectective 
    6. El Camino 
    7. Barry
    8. Russian Doll
    9. John oliver
    10. Toy story 4
    Elisa
  • 1. Succession
    2. Fleabag
    3. Watchmen
    4. Mr. Robot
    5. The Expanse
    6. Chernobyl
    7. True Detective
    8. The Mandalorian
    9. The Righteous Gemstones
    10. The Boys

Elisa
  • edited December 2019
    After last night's finale, Mr. Robot jumps to the top of my 2019 list. 

1. Mr. Robot
    2. Chernobyl
    3. Watchmen 
    4. The Deuce
    5. True Detective
    6. Legion
    7. Deadwood movie
    8. The Expanse 
    9. Counterpart (RIP)
    10. The Boys

Just missing the cut are Veep, Hulu's Wu-Tang: An American Saga, This is Us, For All Mankind, and Maaaando. 

Edit: forgot The Expanse. 
    Elisaadampasz