Snowpiercer

Spoilers ahead: you have been warned.

I know I'm a little late to the game on this but I finally got a chance to watch Snowpiercer. I had seen it hyped all over the place but having just finished it, I don't understand why. I have a lot of questions.

First off, why a train? Are they following the sun in order to stay warm? How are some people psychic? Why kill the fish? Are the polar bears the only things left alive? If so, aren't those kids who survived doomed to starvation? Was the crazy killer guy an unkillable monster like Jason in Halloween or did they only strangle him long enough to knock him out, not kill him?

The twist at the end is kinda cool and I'm a sucker for Ed Harris but there are much better distopian movies out there. Has anybody seen this one?

Comments

• I enjoyed the shit out of this movie, and maybe that's because I didn't stop to ask some of the questions you're asking. It looked incredible, and it was a novel premise. Kinda reminded me of Mad Max in a way.
  • I saw it a few weeks ago on Netflix. I'm a sucker for these set piece films. This film does this very well in my opinion. Each train car had a distinct feel to them. Some of the characters were forgettable and the last 15 minutes were vastly less interesting than what came before it. Overall I really enjoyed it even it was a little "High Concept" ;).
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Oh man, I had all those questions and more. I kind of enjoyed it just for the sheer craziness and the visuals but the plot does not stand up to a single moment's examination.
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    I feel pretty safe saying the director/writer had no concern for practical issues. I think it's an allegory in the vein of Animal Farm. I'm not saying it's that classic or a great film on it's own, but I think the point is to explore class/political issues, and I think they also wanted some fun set pieces. The Host, by the same director, is probably a better movie and it veers very unexpectedly between being a comedy, drama, or horror movie. Somehow it all works though.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    I certainly wouldn't call it a bad movie, but it's overrated as all get out. Probably just a consequence of "Hollywood's" lack of quality content these days more than anything. Still though, I hate it based on the cockroach candy bars alone. Couldn't eat right for a few days after seeing that.
  • Definitely agree that it's not a bad movie. The only answer that I have a burning desire for is why they killed that fish.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I saw it over the long weekend, too, and I think I'm with Doctor Bell. It was a great little flick, but overhyped to the point I expected a bit more. It was basically "Matrix: Reloaded" on a train. I also wonder if the fish gutting scene was for Jim what the Fishnado was for me in Fargo the Series, haha. I can see him getting to that and being like "nope" and never recovering.
    Mostly I just like it because it's batshit crazy. I mean, someone fires a bullet from one part of the train to another part of the train. We're talking FaceOff levels of intentional ridiculousness.
  • It was a hard movie to track down, i finally got a great copy. Will be watching this weekend
  • This film was hyped? Lolz
  • THE FISH, MY GOD, THE FISH!
  • Yes......
  • @Jim Jones‌ How did you know it was the_fish?
  • I enjoyed the movie, i liked that it was something different. The cinematography was fantastic.
  • This was a solid movie. Very enjoyable and a decent flick...especially when we get so many sequels and reboots these days.
  • Wait, I thought this was another Matrix sequel...
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    No, Snowpiercer is the Matrix if it had more of an anime influen... oh wait.
  • edited January 2015
    Just saw this movie, immediate reaction during and after is what the shit.

Pretty much nothing about this movie made any fucking sense whatsoever. I haven't one-starred a movie on Netflix in a while but this is the latest to receive that honor. Seriously, how can anyone find this movie to be anything but abhorrent?

Pointing out the flaws, plot-holes, or just stupid nonsensical shit in this movie would be like numbering the holes on a colander. And like a colander it seems like the movie itself is just a vessel whose very purpose is to be full of holes, because there's really nothing else here.

Ever wonder what it'd be like if you took the feral kid from Mad Max, Clockwork Oranged him into a hundred viewings of The Matrix and 300, then hopped him up on Ketamine and made him write a movie script?

Wonder no more folks, Snowpiercer is here!

And NINETY FIVE PERCENT on RT????

Oh and at the end please tell me I was not the only one dying for that polar bear to crack open a Coca-Cola? It would have been completely in-step with everything else we were just subjected to.
  • AndrewAndrew New York
    @ghm3 I completely agree. However, I have to point some things out...

Reasons why this movie was ridiculous:
    1. It offended me that the single black mom was yelling out, "Chicken! I want chicken!."
    2. How is the train or the track not damaged by this ridiculously cold weather? It was just a normal goddamn track.
    3. Shooting through the train... they should've all froze to death, no?
    4. He wanted to get to the front of the train... and then what? What was he going to do?
    5. How did they get a fur coat for that little boy so quickly?
    6. Why did they end it with a polar bear about to eat the two survivors?

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

• edited January 2015

@ghm3 I completely agree. However, I have to point some things out...

Reasons why this movie was ridiculous:

1. It offended me that the single black mom was yelling out, "Chicken! I want chicken!."
    2. How is the train or the track not damaged by this ridiculously cold weather? It was just a normal goddamn track.
    3. Shooting through the train... they should've all froze to death, no?
    4. He wanted to get to the front of the train... and then what? What was he going to do?
    5. How did they get a fur coat for that little boy so quickly?
    6. Why did they end it with a polar bear about to eat the two survivors?

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Haha yes, so I can see it being fun just because of the scale of its absurdity.

Yeah going into this movie my initial huge disbelief I couldn't suspend beyond the perpetual motion God engine is the fact that it, you know, tracks need to be maintained. They don't magically stay clear of obstruction and stay in perfect condition. This was all before I realized how much of a mess this movie was.

Haha yeah I thought the exact same thing when I saw the perfectly tailored junior sized coat totally out of nowhere.

To your point about getting to the front of the train, maybe I'm just evil but all I could do was bitch every time he walked past someone at the front of the train that he wasn't killing. Because you're right, there's nothing else to do once you take control of the engine, and I'd argue you're not really in control until you kill everyone opposing and oppressing you in the front cars (and sure enough they turn on them at the end, big fucking surprise). Man, that run on sentence would do Stalin proud.

Wow. Hadn't read this thread in a while, and just listened to the podcast. It hurts seeing people trying to make logical sense of this movie. I'm repeating myself, but I don't think anything in this movie was supposed to make practical sense. The train is a vehicle (literally, figuratively) for the story they're telling. Seems to me they had two goals - crazy, fun setpieces and philosophical/social commentary. It really doesn't matter why it's a train, or whether it makes sense to travel the globe or whatever. I won't attempt to explain what it all means, but i think you can consider the relationship between the rich and the poor, free will.... Is political revolution good at any price or is it self-destructive? Is human suffering acceptable in some cases? Etc...

I won't argue that any of those questions or concepts is groundbreaking, and you can debate how profound it is, or how well it asks those questions. But I think getting caught up on details is missing the forests for the trees in terms of evaluating it. 
    DaveyMac
  • @chrisk You mean this movie isn't trying to explain what would really happen if we entered an ice age and tried to build a perpetual motion machine with a disco in it?
    chriskDaveyMacDee
  • ArctorArctor The Netherlands
    @chrisk @bizmarkiefader I think I need to reread Animal Farm with this perspective. I was like "George must've been on crack when he wrote this. E'ryone knows animals can't talk!"
    DaveyMacDee
  • DaveyMacDaveyMac Tokyo
    edited September 2015
    I thoroughly enjoyed the film and totally with @chrisk. I loved the journey through the train and the sudden shift from the drab to the vibrant as they move up the class system. There's just so much visual eye candy and creative action choreography and the whole thing is just bonkers. I'm a big Bong Joon Ho fan, though so I may be predisposed to enjoy anything he does.

Aside from The Host I would also recommend Mother and Memories of Murder. Even to people who didn't like Snowpiercer as those two films are very different from that and both are excellent.

Also has anyone read the comic book on which this film is based?
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    This movie is on tonight on The Movie Channel. I'm gonna give it a go, I hope it's good.
  • It was awful. Bad script, acting, ridiculous plot holes. In some universes, you accept that the impossible is reality. The Walking Dead and Star wars come to mind. This isn't that type of universe. You not only have to suspend reality, but all standards for plotholes, and your "that's so stupid" meter forbthis movie.

The good thing is, that's why they make a whole lot of different kind of movies. Just cause I hated it doesn't mean you'll hate it.

Kim