714 - "Person to Person"

Directed and written by: Matthew "the" Weiner

This is it, folks.  The end.  I don't think there is any possible way anything can happen tonight that will make me feel differently about Mad Men, but who knows?  I guess that's why we watch.

• JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I was sad yesterday and I am not sad now. I'm in denial, dodging the full brunt of pain. It's going to hit. MAH FAVORITE SHOW.
  • StephenStephen New York
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited May 2015
    The sadness of its ending has been slowly building and I'm really feeling it today.  Some people might say it's silly to get so 'wrapped up' in a tv show, but I know you can all identify with this.  It's been a big part of my life for the past 8 years.  I feel like I am looking back on my parents' and grandparents' era and learning a little more about them just by watching.  Not only that, but when you care about a show this much, you become invested in these characters' lives.  You want to see what their backstory is, and you care about what will happen to them.  I mean, I know they're not real people (obviously), but I think this comes with the territory when a show means this much to you.

Also, really looking forward to the 'cast for this final episode, as well as next week's.  But I can't believe there will be no more afterward.  Man, between this and the show I am really going to go through withdrawals. 

Me, by the end of tonight's finale:

Saw this pic as a comment on Mad Men's Facebook post announcing that the finale was beginning:

• Mike SnowMike Snow Portland, ME
    Aaaaaaaaaaaand Betty is a bitch again.
  • AndrewAndrew New York
    Halfway through this is fantastic. Like pan fried grilled cheese.
  • Yaaaaayyyy ARon!!!! Your Peggy Stan ship was definitely on point. Congrats!!!
  • AndrewAndrew New York
    Oh yuck. Don's ending is oven grilled cheese.
  • edited May 2015
    I'm assuming we are supposed to link the hippie Coke commercial with Don's moment, and think he's the one who did that. Still, for such a great series, this was one of the least fulfilling finales I can remember. Some of the points were subtle, sure, but overall it was just... disappointing. And felt like there was a lot of time spent on things that didn't need time spend on them.

• JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited May 2015
    So much crying. If you had told me years ago that I'd be crying about Betty dying, well, a thing like that. I had hoped but not expected such a life-affirming ending. We're all alone, but we're all alone together.

When Don hugged that man and the shot was framed from the back, showing the man's silhouette over the chair back, the head, the shoulders, the prominent white collar, I thought of the show's iconic image and knew Donald Draper was hugging himself.

This whole time, that stupid black and white man wasn't going to jump out of a window. He wasn't sitting there waiting to die. He just needed a hug.
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    I'll ponder this episode after another viewing but I think it was a mistake to take Don away from everyone for the final 3 or 4 episodes.

Everybody interacted on the phone this episode. It was ridiculous.

The strength of the series was the interaction between characters. Don and Peggy's final scene shouldn't have been a poorly shot disjointed phone conversation.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    See some unhappy folks here, and I feel real bad that you had a bum experience, because I think that was a masterpiece that gave me everything I wanted and a bunch more that I didn't even know I wanted. I got laughs, feels, thoughtful takes on life and death, my smile's as big as a post-"omm" Don.
    Frakkin TMichellesteph_bAshleyleigh_isThe_Third_ManAmbitiousBukkyuncle_gJayInMemphisKela15
  • I would have forgiven the ending had Joan and Peggy started their own venture together. Why did Peggy stay? Because Stan told her to. She could have always gone back to advertising had the business not worked out. And it would have because Joan and Peggy are the dream team.

Yes, Don got to work on Coca-Cola. That's awesome. But putting us through this stupid trip to California, which started after he slept with the awful waitress was a waste of time. I hate Dick Whitman. This is why you became Don Draper. Because Dick Whitman SUCKS.
  • I think Matthew Weiner knew that he wanted the series to end with the Coca-Cola commercial and had to find a really contrived way to get there.
  • RyanRyan Kansas City
    How could Peggy tell Stan the reasons he is great and she loves him and not say your clothes and my God your beard.
  • How many times have we seen Draper shirking his responsibilities and running off to California or some place else?  It definitely felt like a rehashed storyline, and frankly I feel like that was a lot of season 7.  It was good to see some get a happy ending, but contrived is a very accurate way to put it.
  • Oh and I also wanted to say... Season 6 finale with Draper taking his children to the house he grew up was way more powerful to me, and a better ending note for the series than the season 7 finale.
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    During the Peggy/Stan scene my wife was on the couch yelling "ship! ship! ship!"

Loved the episode, gonna be a while before I have any coherent thoughts about it. 
  • I can't think of anything deep to say except I am kinda bummed about how Don's kids were left off. Their real father had to go 'find himself' in a hippie colony when your mom died sorry? He couldn't raise you.
    Well, it's about time.  :)  <3

steph_bFrakkin TA_Ron_HubbardGarrison66Kela15
  • Loved it! Man, the scene with the bald guy in the group session was perfect on so many levels. Somehow his example of the refrigerator felt like it had a parallel with the carousel pitch, but I'm hazy on the exact details of the pitch, but it had a similar emotion to it. 

Oh, and  Peggy and Stan shippers for the win!
  • Are we to believe that at the very end Don went back to MCCaN wrote the Coke ad and took care of his kids?
    That was powerful.  Don hit his all time low in terms of his identity crisis and his actions, only to ultimately find peace within himself.  His breakdown was his breaking point.  He's going to be okay now, and his life will go on with him as a happier, more well-adjusted person.  I think many of us can say that's really what we wanted for him.

My belief is that he eventually went back to New York, back to McCann, and pitched the Coke ad that aired at the end.  Other people have pointed out on Facebook that the girl with the red ribbons in her braids is an exact replica of the girl he spoke with after Stephanie left the retreat.  

Peggy and Stan... love, love love.  It's about time.  :)
    They're going from "let's get liberated" to (I assume) "let's get married".  <3

Happy that Joan didn't let Richard run her life and take her away from what she truly loves.  He wanted a trophy wife to travel the world and do coke with.  She wanted to stay and make a difference in the world, or at least in her own life, by doing what fulfills her. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out, a**hole.
    I had a feeling that when she took her Rolodex upon leaving McCann, something would come of it.

Roger and Marie... settled down and happy. 

Pete, Trudy, and Tammy, the perfect little family, so happy.  I love where they took Pete as a person from where he began. 

Was so disappointed to see Betty smoking while at the kitchen table.  Although, I guess it falls in line with her wanting everything to stay as normal.  My heart broke for Bobby when he was talking to Sally about Betty dying.  :(
    Sally is so strong...so grown up for 16.  Not that she was given the chance, but she really stepped into the mom role when Betty couldn't.  

Speaking of... Betty and Don's phone call, them both crying at the end... they weren't the only one.  :(

I am so thankful for this show in so many ways.  I will miss it so much.  Matthew Weiner, thank you.

martelo said:

Somehow his example of the refrigerator felt like it had a parallel with the carousel pitch, but I'm hazy on the exact details of the pitch, but it had a similar emotion to it. 

If you think about that Carousel scene, when Don clicks the button to change slides, it goes dark for a quick second then lights back up when the slide appears on screen.  It's a quick moment, but it's there.  So, every new slide appearing, showing Betty and the kids and happy moments that he feels so disconnected to now, with those very quick dark moments between, is akin to the light going out in the fridge, and the guy knows people are out there eating and laughing and having a good time... then the light is on, but not for him.    Matthew Weiner is brilliant when he makes these analogies and connections.

Are we to believe that at the very end Don went back to MCCaN wrote the Coke ad and took care of his kids?

Either that, or Don renounced the ad game and someone else (Peggy?) wrote the coke song. It's very much open to interpretation. 

I think the important thing about the Coke ad is not that Don wrote it or didn't, but what the song itself represents. If you take an historical view of the series, you can see it as the Old Guard (Don and Roger) losing their power to the New: women, african-americans, hippies. The world moves forward and Roger and Don are left behind. What does the old guard do? Take the Hippies' idea of harmony and love and turn it into a pitch, thereby undermining the legitimacy of the counterculture and ultimately neutering its power. It's a very cynical view of the world, and unfortunately true. Those very same hippies are the same assholes who are the reason the 80s were called "The Me Decade."  This is entirely separate from the personal story of Dick Whitman.
  • edited May 2015
    In this article at http://www.macleans.ca/culture/television/in-conversation-mad-mens-matthew-weiner-on-how-it-ends/
    they ask Weiner about the ending

They asked him - 

I was struck by something that Jon Hamm said in a recent profile in GQthat you had known how the show was going to end since the end of season one, that you guys would meet in a restaurant at the end of every season and talk it out—

"No, not really. I mean, when I pitched the show I knew how it was going to end, I knew what was going to happen. "-------So, my bald move friends... does that mean that Wiener knew he was going to use the Coke commercial 14 years ago?  Can we then surmise that the entire show was inspired by the Coke commercial?----Loving your podcast guys!  Thanks for enhancing my enjoyment of the show.----Carl de Cordova, Austin Tx(having a hell of a time with your formatting...  spent way too much time trying to fix it... gave up)
    I don't think there's any doubt that Don created it.

@Michelle I still have doubts. The similarities between the coke ad and the hippie retreat people could just be another troll by the Weiner. Look at it this way: the episode cuts to credits right after Don's OM face and that's it. Does that Don go back to Madison Ave and get right back in the ad game? I don't think so; he's known for a long time that advertising is just another drug to fill his emptiness, and by the end he has moved past it. 

Also, and someone correct me if I am wrong, but that would be the first time Weiner gave credit to one of his fictional characters for creating something that is actually a part of our real world. 
  • AshleyAshley Atlanta, GA
    edited May 2015

I had no idea what to expect for this finale. Like a lot of other people, I thought everyone else’s stories were done and we’d maybe only see Don, so I was pleasantly surprised that we ended on positive notes for nearly everyone.

I've been the same age as Peggy's been throughout the series, and had a lot of the same struggles she's had (with work, in particular), so I'll always have a special place in my heart for her. So more than anything else, I'm just really relieved that she got a happy ending. She and Don are my OTP, but I was hardcore rooting for Steggy. I started crying the second I realized what was happening, and I did not stop. Like, it was like watching fan fiction come to life, lol.

I do wish we'd gotten to see Don with his kids one more time, but... ah well. His three person-to-person phone calls being to Sally, Betty, and Peggy was so appropriate. The one with Betty nearly ended me. The way he just says, “Birdie…” And then they both cry in silence. Jesus. It’s a tragic ending for Betty, of course, and what she says to him is brutal, but I can’t think of a better last scene for the two of them.

And I think it’s obvious that the Coke commercial was "Don’s" idea. It was almost like he came up with it at that moment we see him smile. And my favorite thing about that is knowing that he listened to Peggy and went home. Maybe he’s taking care of his kids, maybe he isn’t, but I can imagine that he went back to New York with that ability to be happy, finally. With that reassurance that whatever he’s doing is okay.

I don't know how to express how much I appreciate Matt Weiner for this series. Mad Men was my first foray into elite television, and it's blown my mind from episode one to episode 92. What a master class in storytelling. Seems that one of the Great American Novels actually turns out to be a television show.

• The finale reminded me of the classic Miller Lite commercial - Tastes Great! - Less Filling!

So many satisfying endings (actually middles) for the characters (Tastes Great!) - one of which led to an iconic American TV commercial (Less Filling!)