My Star Wars Re-Watch...Please, Join in!

I've decided to re-watch all of the Star Wars movies in in-universe chronological order (ie start with Phantom Menace and move forward).  I'm going to explain my relationship with each movie, record the impressions that I have of each movie before watching it, watch it and then record my thoughts on it after having seen it.  There's a few of these movies that I haven't seen in years so it should be interesting.

If you're up for it, please join in!

JaimieTDarmock&Jalad@TenagraAww_PHuuCkRyanReesemanweeniegirl

Comments

• Episode I: The Phantom Menace

Pre-watch impression: I waited 20 years for this and boy was I let down.  I saw it in the theatre when it first came out, hated it and haven't watched it since - so it's been 20 years since I've seen it.  Pre-watch, I'm gonna give this a 4.5/10.

I'm about to watch it now and will update the thread later.

• The worst part of E1 is obv the beginning water planet 
    CretanBull
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I’m so game. Have you figured out a schedule or anything? I just know I won’t do it if there isn’t a structure to it all. 
  • What someone needs to do is attempt an ultimate cut of the 11 films. I’m convinced you could cut out the extraneous crap (first half of Rogue One, pod racing, Cando Bight, etc) and get a solid saga out of it. 
    ken hale
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    The content I didn't know I wanted today.
    @CretanBull the clock is ticking
  • JaimieT said:
    @CretanBull the clock is ticking
    Ha!  My internet went out while I was watching the movie so I couldn't update it after I watched it and I've been buys with Christmas stuff today.  But I'll post my thoughts now :)

JaimieT
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited December 2019
    Episode I: The Phantom Menace

Pre-watch impression: I waited 20 years for this and boy was I let down.  I saw it in the theatre when it first came out, hated it and haven't watched it since - so it's been 20 years since I've seen it.  Pre-watch, I'm gonna give this a 4.5/10.

I'm about to watch it now and will update the thread later.

Post Watch Impression:

This movie was actually better than I thought.  I think the first time that I saw it, Jar-Jar Binks was such a shock that it distracted from other areas of the movie that were actually pretty decent.  My post-watch rating is 6.5.

Things I liked: Seeing the origins of beloved characters, the kid who played Anakin was pretty charming.  The general story was 'ok', it had the look and feel of a Star Wars movie.

Things I didn't like: I can't think of anything more lame to kick-start the Star Wars story than a trade dispute.  The first time that I saw the movie the racist undertones were hard to miss.  20 years later and a more 'woke' society...what were seen as 'undertones' then are now screaming loud.  What on earth was he thinking?!

JaimieTken hale
  • I’m so game. Have you figured out a schedule or anything? I just know I won’t do it if there isn’t a structure to it all. 
    Scheduling is hard for me because my schedule (and sleep patterns) are unpredictable.  I watched The Phantom Menance last night and I'm gonna watch Attack of the Clones tonight (starting in a few mins!).

• Episode 2: Attack of the Clones

Pre-watch impression:  I originally hated Part 1 so much that I didn't see this in the theatre and it had been out for years before I ever got around to watching it.  I hated it.  I can't remember many of the details, so watching it again will be pretty fresh.  My pre-watch rating is 3/10

ken hale
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited December 2019
    I’ve actually become fond of the prequels. Besides certain parts of the dialogue and writing it was an excellent addition to the lore of Star Wars. 

The concept of how Vader fell through fear, anger, hate, suffering is awesome. If they maybe had a better writer/screen play whatever maybe it would come out better. But it was clear what Lucas was trying to do and minus a few plot holes made sense. 

DoubleA_Ron
    The Phantom Menace is my favorite of the prequels. I need to rewatch them again, but I think the podracing is strong and the Duel of the Fates sequence is so good. I don't think anything in the next two movies beats those two moments (although I like the Coruscant chase sequence in 2). 

Yikes @CretanBull, for some reason I thought you were watching all of these today.
  • JaimieT said:
    The Phantom Menace is my favorite of the prequels. I need to rewatch them again, but I think the podracing is strong and the Duel of the Fates sequence is so good. I don't think anything in the next two movies beats those two moments (although I like the Coruscant chase sequence in 2). 

Yikes @CretanBull, for some reason I thought you were watching all of these today.
    Yeah Episode 1 has some genuinely good parts just sandwiched between some real shit (podrace is great, all lightsaber fights are great, opening scene is a solid action sequence apart from the problematic stuff, jar jar is awful, the space battle is awful, gungans are awful, basically every non-podrace thing on tatooine is bad), and at least it was interesting. Episodes 2 and 3 might have had higher lows (although the romance stuff and "death sticks" might be lower), but they also had way lower highs and were incredibly forgettable Literally what I remember most from episdes 2 and 3 is "due it" and that weird hand thing Ewan McGregor did in his fight scenes in one or both of the movies. 
    JaimieT
    edited December 2019
    And little baby Obi-wan...

And Darth Maul is the perfect flashy villain for the flashy Jedi era...

I know people hate episode I but I never did. Admittedly, I was too young to care about the parts that sucked. :D

It's cool @CretanBull 's opinion of it went up.
    DoubleA_Ron
  • Episode 2: Attack of the Clones

Pre-watch impression:  I originally hated Part 1 so much that I didn't see this in the theatre and it had been out for years before I ever got around to watching it.  I hated it.  I can't remember many of the details, so watching it again will be pretty fresh.  My pre-watch rating is 3/10

Post-Watch Impression:

I was really hoping that after under-appreciating part 1 that I'd realize that I'd missed something in this one and would find a way to get something out of it...but I didn't.  This movie was a dud to me.  I thought that it started off pretty bad (it didn't feel like a Star Wars movie at all!) but then got a little better and hope started to build in me, but then it crashed down again and never recovered.  The general idea of the movie - the plot outline - was good, but there was a pretty big gap between what the concept was and what the final product was.  Hayden Christensen was not good in this movie.  I don't want to nit-pick plot-points in these mini reviews/impressions but this movie really hinged on two things - selling the Anakin/Padme love story and showing us Anakin flirting with the darkside.  I can see that both of those things were there in the script, but neither were convincingly here on the screen and I think Hayden bears a good part of the responsibility for that.

Also this:

The big-bad running away on a space Vespa. 

I guess my 3 was a bit harsh, but this was still a stinker for me.  Post-watch rating 4.5/10.
    darwinfeeshyken hale
  • Good to see the score go up for TPM. 

Always felt Anakin should've been a little older, however even at 9 years old Lucas gave him dialogue that a 6 or 7 year old would say. That always bugged me. That said Darth Maul never gets old and I've grown to love the political aspects of the film and by extension the prequels, despite how oversimplified Lucas made them. 

I rewatched it on Disney+ last month and the CGI Yoda is probably one of the better updates that Lucas did for a SW film. The TPM Yoda puppet was awful. 
  • Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith

Pre-watch impression:  I don't think that I've ever sat and watched this movie from beginning to end in one sitting, but I've certainly seen the entire thing.  It's entirely likely that I've missed some nuances because I've pieced the story together from having seen individual scenes two or three at a time spread out over months.  So this will be my first start to finish viewing of this movie.  I can't say that I liked or didn't like this movie because I never really cared about it so never gave it a chance.  I'm gonna give it a neutral pre-watch rating of 5/10.

Aww_PHuuCk
  • I rewatched it on Disney+ last month and the CGI Yoda is probably one of the better updates that Lucas did for a SW film. The TPM Yoda puppet was awful. 
    I don't even remember how he was originally presented (I'm watching these on Disney+, except Solo which is on Netflix) but now I want to find an older print of the movie just to see Yoda.
  • Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith

Pre-watch impression:  I don't think that I've ever sat and watched this movie from beginning to end in one sitting, but I've certainly seen the entire thing.  It's entirely likely that I've missed some nuances because I've pieced the story together from having seen individual scenes two or three at a time spread out over months.  So this will be my first start to finish viewing of this movie.  I can't say that I liked or didn't like this movie because I never really cared about it so never gave it a chance.  I'm gonna give it a neutral pre-watch rating of 5/10.

Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith

Post-watch impression: This was surprisingly good!  It's a solid 7/10 for me - and I'm shocked to say that.  The movie has its warts, but it's actually a pretty fun watch and a genuinely good movie.

My thoughts on the prequels in general:  On the whole, they're better than they're given credit for.  I thought the overall plot of Anakin's fall from grace was pretty good, but the scripting that told us the story was pretty up and down.  I was disappointed with the decision to use that droid army as the main bad-guy force, they weren't intimidating or scary at all and were often a farce (Stormtroopers - who couldn't hit a damn thing - were WAY more fear-inducing, there was something evil about their look!).  Hayden Christensen was weak.  I think it would have been better if they condensed most of Parts 1 & 2 into one movie...give us an hour or so of young Anakin meeting Padme, then another hour of older Anakin and Padme reconnecting, then use the 2nd and 3rd movies to really stretch out, develop and explore their love story and Anakin's fall to the dark side - I think both of those things needed to be fleshed out more to really sell the story.

All things said, a 2nd viewing really changed and improved how I think of these movies.  I think that it also helped to watch them one after another and not years apart.

Pre-watch average rating: 4.16
    Post-watch average rating: 6

That's a sizeable improvement, especially considering my opinion of part 2 didn't change very much so it's still dragging down the overall post-watch score.

darwinfeeshyDoubleA_RonAww_PHuuCkHatorian
  • Solo: A Star Wars Story 

Pre-watch impression: I was pretty sour on Star Wars when this came out so I was in no hurry to see it.  One night my cousin came over to watch movies and I ended up watching it because she wanted to see it.  For the most part, I like it.  It was a 'good' movie, but it didn't feel like Star Wars movie at all.  Pre-watch rating: 6.5/10

asmallcat
  • Starting in March when Disney plus comes to the U.K. also going to include rebels and clone wars 
    gguenotRyanReesemanCretanBull
  • This is a fun read! If you’re ever looking for a deep-dive podcast to listen to once you’re done with this, it’s real hard to beat Binge Mode. Their research on the franchise and analysis of the characters, story, and themes are pretty unparalleled. Bonus that I find them absolutely hilarious. 

They’ve done the same chronological watch that you’re doing, and have a couple fun mailbag episodes after each trilogy and some fun one-off ones.
    CretanBull
  • So I'm late to this party but I basically did this same rewatch before The Last Jedi came out and I was surprised by a lot of my rewatches and thought most of the movies were a lot better than I had originally thought (mainly referring to the prequels). 

Episode I...The pod race is The Phantom Menace is still one of my favorite clips to show people that want to hear what my sound system can really do.  Overall I liked The Phantom Menace much more than I remembered from first watch and I really didn't have that much of an issue with Jar Jar.  Yes he's annoying but it wasn't as bad as I first remembered. Darth Maul will forever be an extremely under utilized character.  So badass and then he gets killed without that much screentime. 

Episode II... The horrible acting from Hayden Christensen is what absolutely killed this movie for me.  I don't recall specifics but his and Natalie Portman's chemistry was non existent.  I think part of that was having to act with so much green screen around them but regardless it made for a very tough movie to watch.  

Episode III... I was in a very similar situation as you @CretanBull where I didn't really watch this movie until after and for the most part it was in sections of the movie.  Some of the fight scenes from this movie were just really fucking cool.  
    CretanBullken hale
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Solo: A Star Wars Story 

Pre-watch impression: I was pretty sour on Star Wars when this came out so I was in no hurry to see it.  One night my cousin came over to watch movies and I ended up watching it because she wanted to see it.  For the most part, I like it.  It was a 'good' movie, but it didn't feel like Star Wars movie at all.  Pre-watch rating: 6.5/10

Has my all time favorite line in Star Wars: "The worst is where the money's at."
    CretanBull

Agree whole-heartedly. It was a fun action/heist movie, but did not remotely feel like it needed to be a star wars movie or that is used the universe in any meaningful way except for shoehorned in references. 

Post-Watch Impression: This movie was what I thought it was, which isn't a bad thing.  I'm not really surprised by that because I saw it recently-ish so not enough time has gone by to really warrant a re-evaluation.  Having said that, I rated a 6.5 - same as the Phantom Menace and I liked this one just a little bit more than that, but I don't think that I liked it as much as Revenge of the Sith which I gave a 7.  My judgment might be biased because I wasn't expecting Revenge of the Sith to be good and it really surprised me whereas this was more or less what I expected it to be.  I'm going to give in an unorthodox post-watch rating of 6.9/10.
    JaimieT
    Revenge of the Sith is so bad, but it's bad in a different way than Solo is bad. I find Solo's badness to be charming and infinitely more forgivable, but that's subjective.
    RyanReesemanJoshuaHeter
  • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Pre-watch Impression:  I've only seen this once, but I liked it when I saw it.  It looked and felt like a Star Wars movie.  I think that it's a bit lame that this movie takes away from what Luke does in A New Hope though, I'll see if I still feel that way once I've seen it again.  Pre-watch rating: 6.5
    RyanReeseman
  • Solo definitely had a few eye rolling moments (his last name being given to him as Solo and the Chewy scene) but overall I really enjoyed the movie.  I loved Woody Harrelson and Thandie Newton's characters and it's too bad they weren't in it for longer than they were.  It was definitely an unnecessary movie but I thought it was a worthwhile film to make and I had quite a bit of fun watching it. 
    CretanBull
  • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Pre-watch Impression:  I've only seen this once, but I liked it when I saw it.  It looked and felt like a Star Wars movie.  I think that it's a bit lame that this movie takes away from what Luke does in A New Hope though, I'll see if I still feel that way once I've seen it again.  Pre-watch rating: 6.5
    Interested about this one. It’s jumped all the way to my #3 Star Wars movie after just being pretty meh when I first saw it in the theater. 
    CretanBull