Has anyone seen "Anne with an E?"

HBO's Twitter asked what the best show/movie of the decade was, and there are a flood of responses for "Anne with an E" on Netflix. So much so, that I began wondering if they were bots. 

I have never heard of this show, and it doesn't necessarily seem like something I would seek out on my own. But sometimes, my wife and I like a good drama, like "This is Us." Has anyone here seen it and/or would recommend it?

This reimagining of the classic book and film is a coming-of-age story about a young orphan who is seeking love, acceptance and her place in the world. Amybeth McNulty stars as Anne, a 13-year-old who has endured an abusive childhood in orphanages and the homes of strangers. In the late 1890s, Anne 

Comments

• McNutty had a daughter that starred in a TV show, I would have never guessed.  I've never heard of it either, sounds like quite the depressing show.  
    rkcrawfCory
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    It’s just a version of Anne of Green Gables, isn’t it? That story always did have a weird culty following. 
    JaimieT
  • edited December 2019
    @Dee, It appears to be, but that title doesn't mean anything to me. My wife is well-read, so she might like it.

I was just floored at the number of responses to it in HBO's twitter. It was like every other response. It got cancelled last month, so maybe it is some sort of campaign.
    JaimieT
  • I loved it.  It's been adapted several times over the years, but this was the best version of it.  It was written and produced by Moira Walley-Beckett (who wrote many episodes of Breaking Bad, including "Ozymandius" which she won an Emmy for).
    Elisarkcrawf
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    My wife and I only watched the first season and thought it was fantastic. Haven't gotten around to the second yet but plan to.
    Elisa
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited January 1
    I enjoyed season 1 but found the quality dropped for season 2 so I stopped. It became too self-aware and modern for a period piece. I like Anne as a precocious girl, not a 21st century superhuman forethinker. Also the pacing got sloppy.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Dee said:
    It’s just a version of Anne of Green Gables, isn’t it? That story always did have a weird culty following. 
    That's what I immediately thought from the description the OP posted.

I'd heard of this show due to some YouTube reactors I'm subscribed to covering it, but never seen it.

I've been to the Anne of Green Gables house, maybe twice, but as a preteen.

Does this show put her on a small Canadian island/province?
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Cory There’s a house? Was it a true story???