Potential inside information from the fraught Star Wars Episode 9 film making (Movie **SPOILERS**)

This post has become very popular today on social media and I wanted to get some thoughts on it: https://www.reddit.com/r/saltierthancrait/comments/eisnd8/heres_what_ive_been_told_from_a_source_that/

As always, you should take these things with a grain of salt, but some of the information is very revealing/eye opening if it's accurate. 
darwinfeeshy

Comments

• edited January 2
    According to this, it wasn't JJ's idea to cut Rose and he didn't approve of the Reylo kiss. Those above his head did that to please both sides of fandom. Adam Driver also apparently had a lot of character building cut. Also, they make it sound like Disney screwed over JJ to spite DC. Interesting thoughts.

I also thought this made more sense than the movie seemingly trying to hint at retcon'ing that Finn actually loved Rey: "Finn wanting to tell Rey something was always meant to be force sensitivity. In the 3 hour cut, it’s explicitly stated. There was a moment when Jannah and he were running on top of that star destroyer and Finn needed to unlock or move something and he force-moved it and acted surprised when it happened. This was replaced with a CGI’d BB-8 fixing whatever he needed to fix on there."
  • gguenotgguenot CA
    edited January 2
    He also didnt like and mocked Han gently holding Bens face in TFA before Ben stabs him but the actors insisted on including it. Glad they went over JJ’s head on the kiss because the dude can’t write emotional scenes to save his life
    nstinsondarwinfeeshy
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited January 2
    So that fans get shat on for writing fan fiction and throwing fits if they don't get their way but really it's the shareholders and execs. Of course. The abused are often accused of what the abusers are doing. 
    nstinson
  • "Wow. So my hot take on this is that it sounds insane: Disney would use Rise of Star Wars to fuck over JJ just to try and sink his WB deal? It is so utterly stupid I wouldn't even entertain this as possible. But then I reflect back on the shit shows we've seen for the entire Disney run and ok, this sort of stupidity is not without precedent."

At face value, it does sound ludicrous..... but I kind of want to believe it. lol
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I like the comment thread that says, "Who was Rey supposed to be?" "Luke's daughter. Source: my eyes"
  • edited January 2
    Rant incoming:
    The “ending that will blow your mind” was a part of this. Older actors were included like Hayden, Ewan and Samuel and anyone who wasn’t animated. The force ghosts weren’t meant to be voices because they shot that footage on camera. The actors were in costumes. Rey was supposed to be surrounded by the force ghosts to serve as sort of a barrier between her and the Sith surrounding them. My source thinks but can’t 100% confirm that this is because of China.

As a person familiar with Chinese culture, this seems extremely likely. Most Chinese people are very superstitious. A lot of Chinese people legit believe in ghosts and get creeped out by them. World of Warcraft removed skulls in its Chinese version because the Chinese get creeped out by skulls as well, so there's precedent for this.

I'm fucking pissed about this because Rey surrounded by force ghosts of Jedi masters would have been 1,000,000% better than the voice bullshit we got in the final cut. Fuck, I hate Ep. IX. I've been happily rewatching the prequels, which I used to dislike, because at least there was a coherent story being presented in those films, and, as goofy as they are, they at least feel like Star Wars.

Please, for the love of god, get Kathleen Kennedy out of there and replace her with some who knows how to grease the business palms as well as making quality content (Favreau/Filoni tag team?!).
    JaimieTnstinsonJoshuaHeter
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited January 2
    "JJ's cut still exists and “will always exist”. We most likely will never see it unless “someone accidentally leaks it.”

Great now we're gonna have to deal with a #ReleasetheJJCut campaign aren't we?
    nstinson
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    That all sounds very convenient but knowing how Disney can be to work with I would buy a lot of that. They are a nightmare of a company, good thing they own like 80% of media at this point.
    nstinson
  • MrX said:
    "JJ's cut still exists and “will always exist”. We most likely will never see it unless “someone accidentally leaks it.”

Great now we're gonna have to deal with a #ReleasetheJJCut campaign aren't we?
    How else do you think I became aware of it... check Twitter trending topics. lol
    JaimieTMrX
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Ultimately I will always blame JJ. It wouldn’t surprise me to learn he’s the one starting “Disney made me do it” rumors to cover his ass. But either way it was a huge disappointment. 
  • So much of this reads like such unmitigated bullshit. Like if you got a bunch of 16 year old fanboys in a room and told them to all take turns airing their grievances and writing fanfic, this is what they would come up with. 

CretanBull
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    edited January 4
    Rant incoming:
    The “ending that will blow your mind” was a part of this. Older actors were included like Hayden, Ewan and Samuel and anyone who wasn’t animated. The force ghosts weren’t meant to be voices because they shot that footage on camera. The actors were in costumes. Rey was supposed to be surrounded by the force ghosts to serve as sort of a barrier between her and the Sith surrounding them. My source thinks but can’t 100% confirm that this is because of China.

As a person familiar with Chinese culture, this seems extremely likely. Most Chinese people are very superstitious. A lot of Chinese people legit believe in ghosts and get creeped out by them. World of Warcraft removed skulls in its Chinese version because the Chinese get creeped out by skulls as well, so there's precedent for this.

I'm fucking pissed about this because Rey surrounded by force ghosts of Jedi masters would have been 1,000,000% better than the voice bullshit we got in the final cut. Fuck, I hate Ep. IX. I've been happily rewatching the prequels, which I used to dislike, because at least there was a coherent story being presented in those films, and, as goofy as they are, they at least feel like Star Wars.

Please, for the love of god, get Kathleen Kennedy out of there and replace her with some who knows how to grease the business palms as well as making quality content (Favreau/Filoni tag team?!).
    This was one that confused me. Star Wars has always had force ghosts. Even this movie has force ghosts.

Edit: I do know that is a thing in Chinese culture. I've heard of games having to re-skin zombie characters for the Chinese version because they wouldn't be accepted otherwise.
  • I don’t thinks it’s illegal in China. I think it’s just Disney doesn’t want to lose money at the biggest market. All the other movies were Lucasfilm and Fox and they were probably not thinking of China on the 80s and early 2000s.

it still may be false though