Australia Fires

Everyone ok?

@Dee are you and your daughter safe?
Dee

Comments

• DeeDee Adelaide
    edited January 3
    @gguenot Yes, thank you - we are not near them and we live right in the city of Adelaide so no real danger. There have been fires in the Adelaide hills not too far from us (20km or so), so we had a couple of days last week where the air was very smokey, but thankfully not affected otherwise. 

It’s pretty horrible though - it’s all the news is talking about at the moment. 
    pavlovsbellgguenotMichelleElisaJimakiNoel
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    I was just reading this thread on Twitter, and it mentioned Adelaide, and I thought of you, Dee. Glad to hear you're okay. This is all so horrifying.

Here is a Guardian article with info and links to donate to support volunteer firefighters and other charities: https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/dec/21/how-you-can-donate-and-help-the-volunteer-firefighters-in-australias-bushfire-crisis

Dee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @pavlovsbell Yeah, apparently we all still thought it was a great idea to have New Year fireworks while half the country burns... WHAT COULD GO WRONG?
    pavlovsbell
  • Obviously I feel for the humans, but the loss of animal life is so tragic. Over 500 million I’ve heard 
    pavlovsbell
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    gguenot said:
    Obviously I feel for the humans, but the loss of animal life is so tragic. Over 500 million I’ve heard 
    I can’t begin to comprehend that number. Stay safe Australia!
    DeepavlovsbellNoel
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    Oh, that video of the woman tearing off her shirt to save a koala caught in the fire, and his screams were unbearable to hear (last I heard, he was stabilized and should recover). That woman is a damn hero, as is everyone who is helping, but my god, half a billion dead animals is ecocide.
    gguenotMichelleNoel
  • MichelleMichelle California
    @Dee, like others here, you were my first thought as well.  I'm so glad you and Lily are safe.  This is so horrible.  Those of us from Cali can relate. :cry:   Please stay safe!
    DeeElisapavlovsbellNoel
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    gguenot said:
    Obviously I feel for the humans, but the loss of animal life is so tragic. Over 500 million I’ve heard 
    Yes, it’s concerning not just because of how awful it is for them, but we also have a lot of animals that are uniquely native to us and they are being wiped out. :-(
    pavlovsbell
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Michelle said:
    @Dee, like others here, you were my first thought as well.  I'm so glad you and Lily are safe.  This is so horrible.  Those of us from Cali can relate. :cry:   Please stay safe!
    Thanks, Michelle. <3 I think California would be very similar in climate and flora to us, wouldn’t it? Hence the speed that fires in both places get out of control. 
    gguenotMichelleElisapavlovsbellNoel
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Dee said:
    Michelle said:
    Thanks, Michelle. <3 I think California would be very similar in climate and flora to us, wouldn’t it? Hence the speed that fires in both places get out of control. 
    I think so?   It gets terribly dry here in summer and fall with occasional strong winds.  One errant spark can whip up a terrible fire.
    Elisa
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Michelle Yup, that’s what it’s like here too. 
    MichelleElisa
  • Happy to hear you and your daughter are safe @Dee.  Fires are scary stuff and it's devastating hearing how much loss there has been, especially the number related to how many animals have been lost.  
    Dee
  • @Dee
    glad you are OK
    Dee