IRAN

edited January 8 in General
Im shitting myself.......anyone else?

Comments

• DeeDee Adelaide
    I don’t know, but if our PM tries to drag us into this mess, I’m gonna be so pissed off. 
    rustywright4
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Y'all be careful on social media tonight. This war has dumbs out in force. 
  • Sucks, war is inevitable it seems. Hopefully there’s a sane person in this admin that will stop Trump from dropping a nuke.
  • edited January 8
    We are being brought into a hot war, by only the 3rd POTUS to be impeached. Let that sink in.

• Probably should move this to the general forum so it gets more views. Right now it’s in the VIP. 

But this is not good. I have a masters degree in military science but by no means consider myself to be an expert. But this is how many wars start. Small escalations from both sides that eventually boil over to full scale war. 

Hitler did it in the late 30s by continually trying to get more and more until the UK and France finally said enough and declared war. 

The US did it by continually raising their involvement in Vietnam. 

• Dee said:
    I don’t know, but if our PM tries to drag us into this mess, I’m gonna be so pissed off. 
    If the Canadian news is accurate, Morrison is one of the most hated people in Australia right now...I don't think that an unpopular war would help his cause.
  • America can't win a conventional war vs Iran.  If things escalate, it will be bombing and probably countered with terrorist attacks.  Ground force vs ground force would see WAY too many casualties than the American public will be willing to accept for Trump's half-cocked decision to assassinate a foreign leader.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Dee said:
    If the Canadian news is accurate, Morrison is one of the most hated people in Australia right now...I don't think that an unpopular war would help his cause.
    He doesn’t care about that - he’s always been hated. He’s oblivious to it. 
    CretanBull
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Head down at work all day. Then I walk past a TV playing CNN and read Iran attack’s US forces. My heart was in my throat. This is not a war anyone wins. I’m not a praying person but I’m praying hard now someone level-headed turns this warship. 
  • Looks like Iran hit unoccupied areas of the military bases as a statement that they could hit us, but without an insurmountable provocation. Also looks like someone was able to get a leash on Trump so he didn’t initiate a knee jerk response.

Both sides declaring victory. This is turning out better than I feared.
    DeeFreddyBroRad33
  • I have also read (unverified) that the rockets used yesterday were older rockets that are easily detected by US defense systems. Supposedly, Iran used less modern equipment knowing that the US/Iraqis would have time to evacuate the base. I am only hoping that is true as evidence that cooler heads may prevail. 

Trump's speech seemed strong (mentioning might), collaborative ("requesting" help from NATO), and conciliatory (asking Iran for peace). I despise him, but I hope he is taking the right path, here. However, I don't believe Iran will just let bygones be bygones over the long haul.
    DoubleA_Ron
  • rkcrawf said:
    I have also read (unverified) that the rockets used yesterday were older rockets that are easily detected by US defense systems. Supposedly, Iran used less modern equipment knowing that the US/Iraqis would have time to evacuate the base. I am only hoping that is true as evidence that cooler heads may prevail. 

Trump's speech seemed strong (mentioning might), collaborative ("requesting" help from NATO), and conciliatory (asking Iran for peace). I despise him, but I hope he is taking the right path, here. However, I don't believe Iran will just let bygones be bygones over the long haul.

Probably some left over rockets that Regan and Ollie North sold them back in the day. Republicans!
    ken hale
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Iran has no interest in getting into a ground war with the US. We've been baited into this idea that Soleimani is a terrorist without any evidence or follow up on whether that's even true. This guy is now the number one bad guy in the world yet Americans haven't even fucking heard of him before we killed him. We now know him as a guy who killed hundreds of Americans and yet the only stories anyone wrote about him were when they were fighting ISIS. The idea that he was planning terrorist attacks against the US when we killed him was just accepted as the truth despite our own intelligence groups saying the evidence is flimsy at best and being presented by people WHO WE KNOW LIE ON A CONSTANT BASIS EVERY DAY. Any attack on or defense against US troops is now an act of terror and by default all of our enemies are now terrorists. Protests at the US embassy where no one was killed about drone strikes killing civilians is now an act of war. Conservatives and establishment types have been pushing to bomb Iran for years and yet we question nothing, we've learned nothing from Iraq or Afghanistan.

For all the hand wringing about the draft and the idea Iran is going to start attacking American cities, the people who are going to die in this mess are Iraqis and Iranians and no one will care just like all of the other wars we fight over there. Iran is not a global super power and despite what everyone seems to want you to think they have none and do not have interest in building nuclear bombs. Iran does plenty of horrible things and there are real reasons for their citizens to want change but the US has absolutely 0 interest in what's best for them, this is all about can we frame them as bad enough to level their country and get away with it.
    MrXCretanBullDeecalebthrowercdriveFreddyweeniegirlDoubleA_Ron
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    I don't think Trump wants war at all, and especially not ANOTHER war in the middle east.  A large part of his campaign was about ending the wars in the middle east.  Sure, he's full of bluster on twitter talking to people he wants to intimidate, but I don't think Trump has ever been one to try to start a war.  If anything, he'll push the wrong buttons and then back down when they retaliate.  His MO has been to act tough until there's a real tough person in the room, then transition straight to beta.  (Russia, North Korea).

We killed someone who by all accounts was a bad dude in regards to America.  (A bad dude that both W. Bush and Obama decided against killing because the good didn't outweigh the bad.  Ironically, he was actually kind of an ally in the fight against ISIS.  Despite that, he was definitely an enemy to the US.)  As a result of that killing, Iran had to retaliate or risk looking weak.  When a foreign government kills someone as beloved in your country as Solemani was, it's really your only play.  Obviously, Iran doesn't want to become a parking lot.  They aren't crazed like North Korea.  They knew they had to retaliate or risk more uprising among Iranian citizens.  They knew they had to look strong on their state-sponsored TV, while not ACTUALLY killing any Americans or American allies.  They fired some easily detected rockets that allowed all of the people and most of the equipment plenty of time to reach safety.  I think this was a very smart play on the part of Iran.  Now we toss more sanctions on them, and we keep moving forward.  They've retaliated for our killing of their beloved military leader.  

Plus, Trump has to think that if we go to war, his chances of reelection drop pretty substantially.  
    JaimieT
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited January 9
    Right now, I don't hate any of this. 

I don't think my view is "correct" or blame anyone for being worried though.
    Also @JoshTheBlack it was good to read your take. I was thinking along those lines yesterday. There were a lot of things being said as true, but I wasn't yet convinced they were true. 
  • Ive heard Middle East academics take issue with the words “Iranian Regime”. Im no expert on the region, but I hear Iran has a thriving economy, the population is well educated, they have a free press (at least more free press than other more oppressive nations), and dissent is generally practiced by its citizens. 
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    edited January 9
    PM Trudeau is suggesting there's evidence that the Ukranian commercial airliner was shot down (perhaps unintentionally) by Iran.

Edit: This may not be reported elsewhere, but over a third of the plane's passengers were Canadian.
    Dee
    edited January 9
    Flukes said:
    PM Trudeau is suggesting there's evidence that the Ukranian commercial airliner was shot down (perhaps unintentionally) by Iran.

Edit: This may not be reported elsewhere, but over a third of the plane's passengers were Canadian.

My pattern-finding monkey brain thought the timing of that was weird, but I also wondered about the statistical anomaly (?) of everyone on the plane dying. I was too lazy to look it up. I just hadn't seen that in most cases of plane crashes.
    Flukes
    Trump also said he suspected the “crash” was not mechanical.

So hard to comprehend 176 people killed by mistake. So tragic and reckless. My prayers to the families. 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Flukes said:
    I did read that somewhere. Why were there so many Canadians on the plane? 
    @Dee I read there were 63 Canadians heading to Toronto with a connection in Kyiv. It mentions students heading back to school after the holidays but the reason is not very clear. 
    Dee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Teresa from Concord I wondered if it was some kind of connection thing. My grasp of geography is tenuous so I don’t really know where anything is in the world. 
  • Dee said:
    Flukes said:
    I did read that somewhere. Why were there so many Canadians on the plane? 
    Most were from the Toronto area. Toronto is a massively diverse city, of the 3 million people who live down-town, 1.5 million of them weren't born in Canada.  There's a big Persian community here.
    Dee
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited January 11
    So Iran admits they shot it down. The horror of this is if you watch the video it’s clear the plane was still partially intact and made manuevers after being hit. Some people certainly survived the missile impact. Can’t imagine what they went through in those final moments...

https://us.yahoo.com/news/iran-says-unintentionally-shot-down-034030154.html