CoryCory New Scotland
Finally ready.
And whose going to help me next time?

Comments

• CoryCory New Scotland
    edited January 10
    Success!
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    It's 71 degrees and dry here in Houston. Yes I'm an asshole. 
    CretanBullMichellecdriveNoelken hale
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    That took me 3.5 hours of shoveling, over two nights, after back to back 10-hour shifts (I'm still ramping up post carpal tunnel surgery).

I demand validation! lol

It's -10.8ºC outside here, which is about 13ºF I think.  It's not even 71ºF INSIDE my house.

I do believe I've earned myself a snack while watching The Mandalorian finale, tonight.

JaimieTMichelleTeresa from ConcordNoel
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    That's hardcore!
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    edited January 10
    JaimieT said:
    That's hardcore!
    Thank you, now I feel better.   :)
    JaimieT
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Honestly, congratulations. That's a hell of a feat! Shoveling snow gets old REALLY fast and that looks like the biggest pain in the ass.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Thanks.  It would be a hell of a lot easier if my driveway wasn't sloped at about a 45º angle.
    Murderbear
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited January 10
    It's only about -2 or -3 here and an inch or two of snow on the ground :)

#Canadiandream
    Murderbear
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I am not doing this to be a jerk like @Fidoz ha but this is slightly becoming worrisome. While I hate driving in the snow (not so much me but the idiots around me) and I don't want to be cold at work all day, this is not normal for January in/near Cincinnati! We've had a cold week or two and like 1/2" of snow one time in November but it's been 50-60 degrees as often as its been really cold. 
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I am so thankful that I am not buried in snow every winter.  @Cory good job.  That's back breaking work. Time for a well earned rest by the fire.
  • CoryCory New Scotland

#Canadiandream
    Yesterday (Wednesday) we got about 40 (maybe 50) centimeters (15-18 inches) of snow.  We may well not get that much, especially at once, the rest of winter.  And most of it will be gone Saturday, with some remaining lumps that will freeze when the freezing rain hits on Sunday.

We typically get 3-5, sometimes 10-15cm at once, so this was a small deal (although we're plenty prepared for it with plows and enough salt on the highway to make it appear somewhere between white and grey, despite it being wet/damp).

I'm guessing you get more snow annually in Leaf land?
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    @Murderbear

No worries, It's giving +4ºC (40ºF) tomorrow, +12ºC (53ºF) on Saturday (and rain), and +8ºC (46ºF) on Sunday.  And I'm off all weekend (until Monday night).  So it's not all bad. Outside of southern BC, we get the mildest winters in Canada (I'm sure many of you have deciphered what "New Scotland" translates into).

* All temps in ºF are off the top of my head estimates.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    edited January 10
    Michelle said:
    I am so thankful that I am not buried in snow every winter.  @Cory good job.  That's back breaking work. Time for a well earned rest by the fire.
    Thanks, Michelle, but it wasn't all that hard on the back.  Last weekend I bought a sleigh shovel (and just in time), then used a rink shovel (3 feet wide) to clear out the rest.  It's only hard on the edges because I live halfway up a big hill).

Kind of wishing I fixed up the ol' fireplace now, just so I could have a fire.   :/

EDIT: The moon is full tonight, and with all that white stuff everywhere, it's like permanent dusk/dawn all night.
    Michelle
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    This is how "dark" it is at midnight.
    Michelle
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    I shook a man’s hand the other day and got super creeped out how soft it was. No callouses. Good job, Cory. 
    NoelMichelle
  • Cory said:

#Canadiandream
    Yesterday (Wednesday) we got about 40 (maybe 50) centimeters (15-18 inches) of snow.  We may well not get that much, especially at once, the rest of winter.  And most of it will be gone Saturday, with some remaining lumps that will freeze when the freezing rain hits on Sunday.

We typically get 3-5, sometimes 10-15cm at once, so this was a small deal (although we're plenty prepared for it with plows and enough salt on the highway to make it appear somewhere between white and grey, despite it being wet/damp).

We get more snow than that, but I grew up in Montreal and Montreal gets absolutely hammered every year.  When I was a kid, it wasn't unusual to open our front door and see nothing but a wall of snow - like 4 feet high.

That's not my pic, but I'd see that 15-20 times a winter when I was a kid.

In Toronto, we usually get 3-4 big storms a winter, but for the most part there's about 6 inches or less on the ground (over the last few years anyway).  Because of the shape of Lake Ontario, we get protected from lake-effect snowstorms...our friends in Buffalo (NY) and Kingston (ON) aren't so lucky, they both get it much worse than we do.
  • Cory said:

#Canadiandream

That's definitely a lot of snow.  I'm in Minnesota so I definitely feel your pain in regards to dealing with the cold and the snow.  We've definitely had a few big snowstorms over the past couple years but I don't think we've had 15-18 inches in a single day.  That's crazy. 
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    We get more snow than that, but I grew up in Montreal and Montreal gets absolutely hammered every year.  When I was a kid, it wasn't unusual to open our front door and see nothing but a wall of snow - like 4 feet high.

In Toronto, we usually get 3-4 big storms a winter, but for the most part there's about 6 inches or less on the ground (over the last few years anyway).  Because of the shape of Lake Ontario, we get protected from lake-effect snowstorms...our friends in Buffalo (NY) and Kingston (ON) aren't so lucky, they both get it much worse than we do.
    I've seen pictures like that before.  Yup, no, I couldn't handle it.  I have an "internet friend" from Drummondville who now lives in Montreal.  Does the city shut down for long, if at all?  The plant I work at runs 24/7, and I'm not sure it would shut down, except for a lack of workforce being able to get to work.

And Toronto is PROTECTED from lake-effect snowstorms?  I was always told the lake-effect made it worse for snow in "da-6"?  As kids, we thought that's why the Skydome (gives Rogers a dirty look) was the only (at the time) retractable roof stadium.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    awookiee said:

That's definitely a lot of snow.  I'm in Minnesota so I definitely feel your pain in regards to dealing with the cold and the snow.  We've definitely had a few big snowstorms over the past couple years but I don't think we've had 15-18 inches in a single day.  That's crazy. 
    Back in about 2005, we had about 36 inches one day/night.  But on the savannah, a stretch on a country road, the snowdrifts were like 15 feet deep.  I've never seen anything like that before, or since.  Only the grader could get through.

awookiee
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    I lived most of my life in NY (the city and north) before moving to Arizona and now California. I remember spending hours shoveling the driveway to only have the snowplow come through and create a wall of dirty snow where I just cleared. My question to all of you - how do you entertain yourself when shoveling (or yard work, cleaning the garage, etc.) I pop in my headphones and play catch up on my podcasts. And if my energy starts to wane, I switch to Spotify for blood-pumping music. 
    Murderbear
  • edited January 10
    I lived most of my life in NY (the city and north) before moving to Arizona and now California. I remember spending hours shoveling the driveway to only have the snowplow come through and create a wall of dirty snow where I just cleared. My question to all of you - how do you entertain yourself when shoveling (or yard work, cleaning the garage, etc.) I pop in my headphones and play catch up on my podcasts. And if my energy starts to wane, I switch to Spotify for blood-pumping music. 
    Definitely either podcasts or music.  Typically podcasts as the only time I really listen to podcasts is at work and I subscribe to way too many different movie/tv type podcasts to keep up with. 
    Teresa from Concord
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Typically podcasts, but this year so far, I just go about doing it with nothing in my ears.  Had too much on my mind I guess.
  • Cory said:

I've seen pictures like that before.  Yup, no, I couldn't handle it.  I have an "internet friend" from Drummondville who now lives in Montreal.  Does the city shut down for long, if at all?  The plant I work at runs 24/7, and I'm not sure it would shut down, except for a lack of workforce being able to get to work.

And Toronto is PROTECTED from lake-effect snowstorms?  I was always told the lake-effect made it worse for snow in "da-6"?  As kids, we thought that's why the Skydome (gives Rogers a dirty look) was the only (at the time) retractable roof stadium.
    Montreal doesn't shut down, ever.  This will sound like one of those "when I was a kid we walked to school and it was up-hill both ways" stories, but this is true...I did walk to school every day, and on days like the ones in that pic, my dad would (literally) throw my brother and I through the open space at the top and we were expected to be at school on time.  It was quite a surprise when I moved to Toronto and we got "snow days" if there was a bad storm.  Back in...I think it was the 90's, maybe the early 2000's...Toronto got hit by a really bad storm and we called in the army to shovel us out.  Quebec laughed.

We do get lake-effect snow, but the bad storms tend to hit Buffalo, bounce Toronto and then hit Kingston (or hit Kingston, bounce Toronto and hit land in Buffalo depending on if they're East-West or West-East storms).

#IstillcallittheSkydome!

• MichelleMichelle California
    Cory said:
    This is how "dark" it is at midnight.
    I love nighttime/moonlit snow pics.  Beautiful.
    Cory
  • My friend sent me this screenshot this morning.  Thank the Gods that we don't live in Alberta.

I was going to convert C to F for our American friends, but guess what?  At -39 it doesn't make a difference...it's bone freezin' effin' cold on both scales! 

Cory
    cold.jpg 217.2K
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Many of us Maritimers are out there, I get to see this kind of thing on my FB all the time, right between the bitching about Trudeau.

Isn't -39ºC about the same as -39ºF?

At least it's a "dry" cold, as I often hear people say that were out there, that you don't feel it the same as the damp cold out this way.