Lasik - yes/no

hey guys. im finally gonna pull the trigger on Lasik. been a glass wearer for close to 30 years and really just want to be done with the contacts and glasses and the inability to see 4 feet in front of me. 

anyone out there have any stories/recommendations/approval/etc? how did it go for you? was it worth it? any regrets? horror stories? etc.
«1

Comments

  • It is a good idea to undergo Lasik surgery, my aunt has undergone LASIK last year and her eye vision is now perfect.
    Hatorian
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Have you talked to your optometrist about it yet? I had mine done about 6 years ago, but my understanding of the process is it only worked if you were nearsighted.

    She told me that being nearsighted I was probably going to need reading glasses by mid-forties, and that would probably happen a couple years earlier with the Lasik surgery, and that Lasik couldn't help that at all.

    Other than that I highly recommend it. I got the top procedure done, they mapped it my eye, and it was supposed to improve my colour and night-vision. Definitely notice that people around me complain about low light levels but I have very little trouble maneuvering/seeing. 
    Hatorian
  • well my evaluation is next week so yea definitely will be doing an extensive review before the procedure. its something like 3 hours long. waaay longer than the actual procedure is. i cant see far, i can see about 4 feet in front of me before things get blurry. 1-2 foot for small texts. 
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Oh and I think it took about a year, or close to it for my eyes to be 100% healed. I think within two or three months you're about 90-95% of the way there, but that last little bit takes a while. However you'll barely notice it if at all.

    And I hope you don't have a problem putting drops in your eyes, you'll have lots and lots and lots of practice with that for a few weeks.

    Any other questions let me know, and I'll do my best to answer them.
    Hatorian
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    edited January 10
    Hatorian said:
    well my evaluation is next week so yea definitely will be doing an extensive review before the procedure. its something like 3 hours long. waaay longer than the actual procedure is. i cant see far, i can see about 4 feet in front of me before things get blurry. 1-2 foot for small texts. 
    That sounds about the same as what my eyes were.

    I think my prescription was -0.75 and -1.00. 

    I also have to get my eyes tested once a year to keep the warranty on my eyes. My eyes would get dry the first few months, but then they got a lot better. Although they've been getting dry the last month or so.
    Hatorian
  • I did lasik a little over a year ago and I love it.  I was severely nearsighted and wearing glasses/contacts since I was in grade school (so over 30 years).  Contacts were bothering me even with trying different kinds so I decided to go for Lasik.  

    In my opinion - Totally worth it!!  I had verified 20/20 vision within about 12 hours after the procedure.  There was some blurriness and I had to wear a special protective blindfold for the few hours immediately after the surgery - but I just took a long nap (easy due to the sedative they give you)

    The biggest minus for me was that  the procedure itself was surprisingly stressful for me. I usually don't mind medical procedures, and I went to a good, reputable place and they totally prepped me for everything but still...  I guess I am sensitive about the eyes being messed with.  You are awake for the procedure.  They gave me a pill to relax  and dull the pain but it was still uncomfortable at times.  And I could kind of smell the burning tissue.  But it was very quick (less than 15 minutes altogether) and they were very professional and calming and it was worth it in the end.  I think the level of discomfort will vary depending on your tolerance for such things.

    Hope this helps.  If you are a good candidate I say go for it.  It is amazing not to wear corrective lenses after so long.  


     
    CoryHatorianblacksunrise7
  • Do the method where they burn away the first layer of the eye ball instead of cutting a flap and pulling it back. That’s what my wife did and she sees perfectly for the past 5 year
    Hatorian
  • gguenot said:
    Do the method where they burn away the first layer of the eye ball instead of cutting a flap and pulling it back. That’s what my wife did and she sees perfectly for the past 5 year
    Do you know what’s that’s called? I read there are 3 types. 
  • edited January 10
    I had lasik done about 10 months ago and I couldn't be happier.  Before lasik my contact prescription was -4.5 so I had pretty bad vision and they were able to do it with the "regular" lasik procedure.  It was an extremely quick procedure and while it was uncomfortable it was over so fast that it didn't even really matter.  Don't hesitate to ask questions when you go in for your consultation. Make sure you follow their guidelines as far as drops after the procedure, it's annoying putting in drops as often as you have to but it's pretty much the only thing you have to do for the recovery process after the procedure.  As someone mentioned before they give you eye guards to wear when you sleep and they were extremely annoying for me as I typically sleep on my side/stomach and they just made sleeping more difficult. 
    Hatorian
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    Can I just ask on the side, if no one minds, what kind of price ranges was it for everyone? I know there are a lot of factors, but my wife really wants to do it but is concerned about the price (and having anything near her eye, e.g. Final Destination).

    Plus there is a really well rated doctor near us who worked on my mother, mother in law, and father in law, and he's probably going to retire in the next few years.

  • Hatorian said:
    gguenot said:
    Do the method where they burn away the first layer of the eye ball instead of cutting a flap and pulling it back. That’s what my wife did and she sees perfectly for the past 5 year
    Do you know what’s that’s called? I read there are 3 types. 
    This is the one she did:

    https://njoyvision.com/lasik/prk/

    her doctor explained that by burning away the first layer entirely, it grows back evenly whereas if you cut it and fold it back, there’s a tiny amount of scar tissue that forms on the incision line. 
    FlukesHatorian
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    @MattyWeaves - I had three options, I think the prices were $1,799, $1,999 and the third was definitely $2,249, per eye.

    I went to a presentation when they came by, and they offered a $1000 discount if we booked that day, out of province (they were all booked up here).  There ended up being a cancellation here, but I still got a $500 discount.  And my medical plan at that time covered $2000 of it, so a few of us from work went in a short span of time.
    MattyWeavesHatorian
  • If I remember right my Lasik was about $3,500 for both eyes.  I probably could have found cheaper but it's not exactly something I was looking for the best deal on.  The doctor I went with was recommended by about 4 or 5 friends of mine that had all had Lasik done by him.  I didn't even go and look at any of the other locations that are near me that specialize in Lasik. 
    MattyWeavesHatorian
  • My wife had it about a year ago and is thrilled. So I'd say go for it. 
    Hatorian
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    I had it done almost 15 years ago. I still don't wear glasses day to day although I do have a pair with a light prescription that I really only need when I'm tired and need to see smallish text at a distance.

    My experience was pretty good. I had a relatively moderate prescription (around -3.75 in both eyes) and no complicating factors like astigmatism, so the basic software was sufficient. One thing that I learned when researching it is that the software that controls the equipment is licensed by the doctor on a per use basis and more complicated corrections (like astigmatism) require more sophisticated and expensive software.

    They did the flap and fold procedure on my eyes and the next time I saw my regular optometrist he said he wouldn't know I'd had Lasik if I was a new patient and didn't tell him. So at least in my experience, that technique works really well.

    If I remember correctly they told me one in twenty patients experience "significant discomfort". I was one of these patients and the discomfort would be better described as intense. Within a couple hours it felt like my eyeballs were getting the 120-grit sandpaper treatment. I booked a hotel right near the clinic and I'm glad I didn't plan to drive or go anywhere. I called for food and spent the evening laying on the bed with my eyes closed listening to hockey on the television. By the next morning I was ok, but that was a really rough night.

    TLDR: Totally sucks if you're one of the unlucky ones but totally worth it overall.

    Hatoriangguenot
  • I’m -3.75 too. Sounds like I’m gonna at least do the evaluation but as Long as they don’t say anything too crazy I’ll probably do it. 
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    The biggest minus for me was that  the procedure itself was surprisingly stressful for me. I usually don't mind medical procedures, and I went to a good, reputable place and they totally prepped me for everything but still...  I guess I am sensitive about the eyes being messed with.  You are awake for the procedure.  They gave me a pill to relax  and dull the pain but it was still uncomfortable at times.  And I could kind of smell the burning tissue.  But it was very quick (less than 15 minutes altogether) and they were very professional and calming and it was worth it in the end.  I think the level of discomfort will vary depending on your tolerance for such things. 
    It was the same for me.  I felt fine in the waiting room, and they offered me an Ativan, which I refused, they asked me several times, so I thought what the hell, why not.  Very glad I did, I felt really stressed during much of it, even though I couldn't feel my eyes at all.

    I had a driver and a nearby hotel room.  Went and napped right away (as they suggested).  Then we got caught in a snowstorm on the way home and had to go to another hotel.
    Hatorian
  • Had LASIK when I was 29. Had worn glasses / contacts since I was 5 due to severe astigmatism. I forget what my vision was, but I couldn’t make out the top line on the eye chart. 

    At the time, it was the best thing I had done. Went to a top quality place and after a few hours and some pain. I was 20/20. Oh my brothers, I was cured! I got better at sports. It was freeing. I felt like Clark Kent taking off his glasses. Even though I wore contacts most of the time, I felt more confident without them. 

    Flash forward 4 years, I’m playing kickball at dusk and realized I wasn’t focusing. 15 years later, I’m back in contacts and glasses. My vision is better than it was, but I still need lenses for everything. I could get surgery again, but if it didn’t take I couldn’t wear contacts. Blame iPhone at night, working in I/T, or bad genes...

    tip: make sure your vision has been stable for a few years
    Hatorian
  • And if you’re awake after the surgery, it’ll feel like someone poured acid in your eyes. 
  • rkcrawf said:
    And if you’re awake after the surgery, it’ll feel like someone poured acid in your eyes. 
    Good call out, highly recommend going into the surgery sleep deprived so that you'll be able to sleep after it.  You won't want to do anything except be unconscious for several hours after the surgery.   
    Hatorian
  • I have a very strong tolerance to meds. I actually woke up during a minor surgery once because they gave me the recommended dosage for my weight/height but it wasn’t enough. Shit was scary as I remember the staff freaking out. If I have to go under I might not do it. 
  • Hatorian said:
    I have a very strong tolerance to meds. I actually woke up during a minor surgery once because they gave me the recommended dosage for my weight/height but it wasn’t enough. Shit was scary as I remember the staff freaking out. If I have to go under I might not do it. 
    I dunno if it varies by type but my wife didn't have to go under for it. 
    Hatorian
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    asmallcat said:
    Hatorian said:
    I have a very strong tolerance to meds. I actually woke up during a minor surgery once because they gave me the recommended dosage for my weight/height but it wasn’t enough. Shit was scary as I remember the staff freaking out. If I have to go under I might not do it. 
    I dunno if it varies by type but my wife didn't have to go under for it. 
    Me either, and I didn't feel a thing, aside from not being able to blink.
    Hatorian
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited January 17
    Pulled the trigger and got 20/20 for 2020. I ended up going with the newer operation where they don’t cut the flap. I had perfect vision within 24 hours and as of now no side effects or issues. Doctor was actually surprised how fast I recovered during my next day follow up. Didn’t need the Guards or sunglasses. Although today was really sunny so I played it safe and wore them just in case. 
    majjam0770gguenotCoryFreddy
  • I did it back in 1999.   More often that I care of admit, I would fall asleep not knowing where my glasses were.  A few times ended up sleeping on them and breaking them.

    I remember being told that I might end up wearing glasses again eventually, but since I was already wearing glasses, I figured I might as well go for it and have a few years without glasses.   It's 2020 now, and I still don't have to wear glasses.
    HatorianCory
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    aki said:
    I did it back in 1999.   More often that I care of admit, I would fall asleep not knowing where my glasses were.  A few times ended up sleeping on them and breaking them.

    I remember being told that I might end up wearing glasses again eventually, but since I was already wearing glasses, I figured I might as well go for it and have a few years without glasses.   It's 2020 now, and I still don't have to wear glasses.
    I only hope I can be so lucky in 2034!
  • Congrats man! I got lucky genetically and have good sight, but I hear the difference is incredible!
    Hatorian
  • gguenot said:
    Congrats man! I got lucky genetically and have good sight, but I hear the difference is incredible!
    Thanks bud!
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Hatorian said:
    Pulled the trigger and got 20/20 for 2020. I ended up going with the newer operation where they don’t cut the flap. I had perfect vision within 24 hours and as of now no side effects or issues. Doctor was actually surprised how fast I recovered during my next day follow up. Didn’t need the Guards or sunglasses. Although today was really sunny so I played it safe and wore them just in case. 
    Wow, you had it that fast?  Awesome dude, and glad you have a very speedy recovery.
    Hatorian
  • Cory said:
    Hatorian said:
    Pulled the trigger and got 20/20 for 2020. I ended up going with the newer operation where they don’t cut the flap. I had perfect vision within 24 hours and as of now no side effects or issues. Doctor was actually surprised how fast I recovered during my next day follow up. Didn’t need the Guards or sunglasses. Although today was really sunny so I played it safe and wore them just in case. 
    Wow, you had it that fast?  Awesome dude, and glad you have a very speedy recovery.
    Yea. The doctor said I had the fastest recovery time he’s seen in the last 10 years...obviously he could just be lying to make me happy but he legit looked surprised during the follow up tests. 
Sign In or Register to comment.