HBO's ‘McMillions’ Docuseries Will Go Inside McDonald’s Monopoly Game Scam

Anyone interested in watching this?  Looks like this is a 6 part documentary series on the McDonald's monopoly game scam.

JaimieTcdrivekingbee67FlukesCecily

Comments

• JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited January 10
    Oh I will definitely watch at least the first episode.
    gguenotFlukes
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Somehow I did not know about this. But the trailer has me interested. Love the Hamburgerler tie in.
  • JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    edited January 11
    I’m definitely interested.

It did surprise me though... 6 episodes? I think I’ve noticed recently on streaming services that certain shows (particularly docu-series) are getting 1 or 2 more episodes than they really need... maybe because all of these competing services are desperate for content.

I thought “Wild Wild Country” was great, but it also felt like it had some padding. As good as it was, it may have been improved if it were a tight 4 or 5 episodes (as opposed to 6). 

That said, I know little about the McDonald’s scandal, so maybe 6 episodes is completely justified.
    ken hale
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Six episodes seems like a lot for this story but it looks entertaining. I remember reading a long form article about this story and there are so many "wait wtf, really?" moments. It looks like they talk to the people who ended up with the winning tickets too so that could be really interesting, I wonder how many of those stories have ever been told before.
    JoshuaHeter
  • Definitely interested. My uncle jumped into a McDonald’s garbage bin and went through all the garbage after he thought he lost a winning space for green. Never found it so we don’t know but he probably didn’t have the right piece...
    JaimieT
  • It did surprise me though... 6 episodes? I think I’ve noticed recently on streaming services is that certain shows (particularly docu-series) are getting 1 or 2 more episodes than they really need... maybe because all of these competing services are desperate for content.

I felt the same recently with a netflix docuseries.  I don't understand the logic.  They're not increasing ad buys or anything, so what's their incentive to stretch series' lengths?  Or is it just that streaming sites are content mills that don't really spend time on post-production?
    JoshuaHeter
  • Netflix doesn’t determine episode counts though. All their content is purchased. So if anyone is to blame is the creators of these shows not Netflix. And I imagine these companies are pricing the longer hours higher. 
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Isn't this just part of the HBO 'more content at any cost' policy after the AT&T buyout?

Maybe this is too simplistic, but watching a 4 week show = 1 month sub. 6 week show = 2 month sub. 200% the revenue at 150% the cost.
    Hatorian
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I am loving this run of docuseries on Netflix and HBO. Sure, some are better than others, but it is really scratching an itch for me. Sometimes I want something quiet to fall asleep to, and many of these do the job. 
    gguenot
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    I am loving this run of docuseries on Netflix and HBO. Sure, some are better than others, but it is really scratching an itch for me. Sometimes I want something quiet to fall asleep to, and many of these do the job. 
    Aside from Making a Murderer, I don't think I've seen a single one.  I did want to check out that one about the high school bully.  What was that called, and what are some other good ones?
    edited January 22
    Your mileage may vary of course: 

On Netflix : 
    The Staircase
    Abducted in Plain Sight (not a series, but still very good, and hard to watch)
    Conversations with a Killer : The Ted Bundy Tapes (I actually didn't like this as much as I hoped to, but its worth a look if you are interested in the subject matter)
    Evil Genius
    The Keepers (again really hard to watch based on the subject matter)
    Wild Wild Country (I eventually lost interest in this one, but enough other people I know really enjoyed it)
    Don't F^*k with Cats (the subject matter is going to be too much, for folks, it almost was for me. It was never really gratuitous. But it leaves enough up the imagination that your brain does the rest of the work)
    The Mind of Aaron Hernandez

On HBO (some of these are not series, but I am throwing them on there because they are worth a look)
    Leaving Neverland
    The Jinx
    Capturing the Friedmans
    I Love You, Now Die
    The Inventor
    Mommy Dead and Dearest
    Paradise Lost

On Amazon:
    There's Something Wrong with Aunt Diane

On Hulu:
    OJ Simpson : Made in America (I am not sure if this is still available here, but it is fantastic)
    CorygguenotHatorian
  • if you want something a bit less intense the Fyre festival documents are good. one on netflix and the other on Hulu or amazon i think. 
    Yeah, both of those are great too. And less crime’y.