Natural Disaster Movie Marathon

cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
I was pretty excited to hear about the marathon theme this year being Natural Disaster Movies, one of my personal "guilty pleasure" favorite genres, and I would like to hear everyone's favorite Natural Disaster movies and movie moments.  I also think it's great how this year's money raised goes to Australia.  Finally, what are we all gonna do this year to keep the guys going and jokes flying?  Cecily said she would be joining which is awesome.  People have sent food, drinks, I think I did coffee donuts and Leia wigs last year, someone donated a super fancy bidet, Freddy went King Kong on us the 1st year...we gotta turn it up for year 2 at Hogwarts!

Disaster Movies:

Volcano (1997)   Number one, it has Tommy Lee Jones played by Tommy Lee Jones.  Also has this scene that is sooooo fuckin' metal where John Carroll Lynch as a utility worker jumps into a flaming pool of lava and heaves this dude over on the other side to safety.  Favorite scene in that movie.

Dante's Peak (1997)  The hot springs scene.  And then another "hero's sacrifice" scene when the Grandma gets out of the boat into the acid water and pushes them the final distance.  That was gnarly. 

The Wave (2015)  this Norwegian movie was pretty good.
Melacholia (2011)
Outbreak (1995)

What do y'all got?
NoelgguenotMichelle

Comments

• I always enjoy some of the ridiculous Roland Emmerich disaster movies: The Day After Tomorrow and 2012. They both have bunch of silly fun setpieces and good casts.

Deep Impact is the forgotten and superior space object v. earth movie of 1998 ... it's pretty sad that Michael Bay kept getting money thrown at him to make the same slop year after year and Mimi Leder basically got nothing for many years ... so glad that Damon LIndelof gave her a prominent role helping shape The Leftovers.

Cory
  • cdrive said:
    I was pretty excited to hear about the marathon theme this year being Natural Disaster Movies, one of my personal "guilty pleasure" favorite genres, and I would like to hear everyone's favorite Natural Disaster movies and movie moments.  I also think it's great how this year's money raised goes to Australia.  Finally, what are we all gonna do this year to keep the guys going and jokes flying?  Cecily said she would be joining which is awesome.  People have sent food, drinks, I think I did coffee donuts and Leia wigs last year, someone donated a super fancy bidet, Freddy went King Kong on us the 1st year...we gotta turn it up for year 2 at Hogwarts!

Disaster Movies:

Volcano (1997)   Number one, it has Tommy Lee Jones played by Tommy Lee Jones.  Also has this scene that is sooooo fuckin' metal where John Carroll Lynch as a utility worker jumps into a flaming pool of lava and heaves this dude over on the other side to safety.  Favorite scene in that movie.

Dante's Peak (1997)  The hot springs scene.  And then another "hero's sacrifice" scene when the Grandma gets out of the boat into the acid water and pushes them the final distance.  That was gnarly. 

Melacholia (2011)
    Outbreak (1995)

What do y'all got?
    Outbreak is one of those movies like Independence Day and Jurrasic Park that I have to watch whenever it's available. Also, I remember that Dante's Peak scene with the gma being way more brutal than it was (but its still gnarly). I had this image in my head that her legs were completely gone when they pulled her out.
  • Also, does a movie like Verticle Limit count? It's not like a worldwide disaster, but it's people vs the scary elements. That movies dope. And obviously, Armageddon is a must
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    gguenot said:
    cdrive said:

Disaster Movies:

Melacholia (2011)
    Outbreak (1995)

What do y'all got?
    Outbreak is one of those movies like Independence Day and Jurrasic Park that I have to watch whenever it's available. Also, I remember that Dante's Peak scene with the gma being way more brutal than it was (but its still gnarly). I had this image in my head that her legs were completely gone when they pulled her out.
    Oh no you remembered right. One of those legs was gone below the knee.  They show it later after they hike a bit with her on their shoulders. Same with Outbreak. That was such a good movie. 
    gguenot
  • FernNYC17FernNYC17 New York, NY
    I been Asking for this for Years from J&A i originally was hoping for a bunch of Live watches for their Christmas Spectacular but i'll take a 24 hour marathon. here are my picks in no particular order. 

- Volcano
    - Day After Tomorrow 
    - The Core
    - Deep Impact
    -  The Perfect Storm??
    - Contagion

• so I assume Independence Day is not considered since its aliens and not natural. also zombies probably dont count either so no Train to Bushan. 

Twister, Everest and Perfect Storm are all really good but they are very localized disaster incidents
  • Hatorian said:

Twister, Everest and Perfect Storm are all really good but they are very localized disaster incidents
    So is Dante's Peak and Volcano if you think about it.
    Hatorian
    Adding 2 more:

Earthquake (1974)
    Only the Brave (2017)  (nice tie-in to the charity)
    ken halezanscat
  • The Poseidon adventure has to fall under this category, right?
    zanscat
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    FernNYC17 said:
    -  The Perfect Storm??

As someone from a community of many small fishing villages, and several occurrences of people being lost at sea, this one hits pretty hard.  It's reminded me that next month will mark the 6th anniversary of the latest group lost, three of which (including the captain) still wouldn't have seen their 30th birthday.  :(
    gguenotFernNYC17cdrive
  • It’s too bad that the marathon is going to run into SuperBowl Sunday this year. I’ll be sure to donate but I won’t be able to watch. 
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    If they watch Volcano, I'm sure we can make Tommy Lee Jones aware of the marathon.

Maybe Pierce Brosnan during Dante's Peak, Elijah Wood for Deep Impact, or The Rock for San Andreas.

The possibilities are endless.

• If they watch Volcano, I'm sure we can make Tommy Lee Jones aware of the marathon.

Maybe Pierce Brosnan during Dante's Peak, Elijah Wood for Deep Impact, or The Rock for San Andreas.

I hear Pierce Brosnan is a real a-hole. And given the fact that ARon can’t say his last name, I’m not sure it would go over well to have him join
    MattyWeavesNoel
  • FernNYC17FernNYC17 New York, NY
    If they watch Volcano, I'm sure we can make Tommy Lee Jones aware of the marathon.

hummmm Quick find a Disaster Movie with Scarlet Johansson......asking for a friend that works at Bald Move.  
    MattyWeavesNoel
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    How has nobody mentioned the Star Wars Prequels for the disaster movie marathon? I kid, I kid. But seriously, I'm looking forward to this and love that y'all are sending money to Australia!
  • Gotta have the Towering Inferno on the list. Old school!!! And thank you guys for thinking of us Downunder  <3
    Teresa from Concord
  • Can we add drinking a White Claw per movie?
    Noelcdrive
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Friday, Feb 1st = the day I get absolutely nothing done at work.  :smile:

• Michelle said:

Shit your post just reminded me. We’re getting an extra day of work this year with leap year. 
  • Will the full stream be available afterwards?  I’m looking forward to this but won’t be able to enjoy it at work.
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    On a work day will make this impossible. Never participated before. Can I jump in at any point? Can I donate anyway? 
  • ca1289aca1289a Maryland
    Has the actual lineup been posted or discussed somewhere? 
  • On a work day will make this impossible. Never participated before. Can I jump in at any point? Can I donate anyway? 
    yea you can check in and out during the entire stream!
    ca1289a said:
    Has the actual lineup been posted or discussed somewhere? 
    Yes they listed it in the recent Lunch.

Starts with Armageddon - A God Damn Greek Tragedy.

Also in there Twister / The Suck Zone.

And The Day After Tomorrow / “Everyone above this line, take a shot.”

• The last wave would have been a good candidate

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt000076299/
    Hatorian said:
    Michelle said:

Shit your post just reminded me. We’re getting an extra day of work this year with leap year. 
    Looking at it again also reminded me that I was a day off - Friday's the 31st, not the 1st. :)
    Still, my plans are to have all projects complete by Thursday 5pm so that my Friday is clear.
    edited January 27
    The Official List according to the last LWJ&A&C!

Armageddon (1998) 2h 31min
    Left Behind (2014)  1h 50 min
    2012 (2009) 2h 38 min
    Dante's Peak (1997) 1h 53 min
    Twister (1996)1 hr 48 min
    The Day After Tomorrow (2004) 1h 53 min
    Deep Impact (1998) 2h
    The Core (2003) 2h 15 min
    San Andreas (2015) 1h 54 min
    Volcano (1997) 1h 44 min
    Independence Day (1996) 2h 25 min

Things to look out for.....

#PresidentWatch:
    Armageddon - Stanley Anderson
    2012 - Danny Glover
    The Day After Tomorrow - Perry King
    Deep Impact - Morgan Freeman
    Independence Day - Bill Pullman

#UnderappreciatedScientistWatch:
    Dante's Peak-Pierce Brosnan
    The Day After Tomorrow - Dennis Quaid
    San Andreas-Paul Giamatti
    Volcano-Anne Heche

#UltimateSacrificeWatch:
    Armageddon - Harry
    2012 - Russian Dad
    Volcano - Utility Worker
    Dante's Peak - Grandma
    Deep Impact - Pilot
    Independence Day - Pilot
    The Core - Braz
    San Andreas - Dr. Kim Park

#RunAwayWatch:
    San Andreas - scary cracking concrete
    Day After Tomorrow - scary ice frost
    2012 - exploding Yosemite
    Deep Impact - Tsunami
    Twister - Tornado

Peak Era of Disaster Movies 1996-1998:
    1996:  Twister VS Independence Day
    1997:  Dante's Peak VS Volcano
    1998:  Deep Impact VS Armageddon

Noel
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I was going to make fun and call them cowards for not watching the REAL Left Behind movie starring Kirk Cameron but....look at those scores. Godspeed boys 
    I just decided to take Friday off work.  I was going to work that day, but screw it.  I'll be in my pj's, drinking coffee, probably playing a bit of Stardew, and hanging out watching the marathon all 24 hours. :smile: 

A_Ron_Hubbard
  • Schlupp said:
    The last wave would have been a good candidate

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt000076299/

Yes I was hoping for this too, considering it was a big influence on season 3 of the Leftovers. Might be too much thinking for a 24 hr marathon though, I think going with mostly highly watchable 90s fare is a good call for that reason.