Australian Bushfire Charity Suggestions

CecilyCecily Cincinnati
edited February 3 in General
Hello all!  We are looking for suggestions on a charity to donate to for our 24 hour livestream.  Please share your suggestions below asap - we are looking to get some ideas by tomorrow morning.  

Currently the frontrunner is Direct Relief.

Comments

• MichelleMichelle California
    Humane Society International   :heart:
    I realize this is just animal-related though.  

There's also the Australian Red Cross
    Noel
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I’ve never heard of Direct Relief, but they seem to have a good charity rating. 

As @Michelle said, Red Cross Australia seems to be doing a lot to directly assist people. A couple of the other major ones we have here are government linked, so it’s a bit iffy where that money is actually going. 

If it’s animals you’re wanting to help, the main one is WIRES. They are NSW-based, where the worst of the fires have been so far this summer, but as other states have gotten worse, WIRES made a statement saying donations would be spread across the states that need them. 

NoelKela15
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Saw a billboard for Wires today. It's right outside our office, and wondered about that. I don't know about Red Cross. They're not super high rated in charity watchdog groups, but they're also not super low, and if you're an organization of that size and scale I imagine the overhead grows at a faster clip than it does for smaller organizations.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited January 22
    @A_Ron_Hubbard I do feel a bit the same about Red Cross, to be honest. I just know they’re one of the big organisations directly assisting people in communities at the moment. 

Usually in a disaster I’m all for helping people
    over animals. However, despite how useless our government is at recognising climate change and properly funding fire services, there actually is quite a lot of government and community assistance for the people affected out there. Not saying they’ll get back what they lost, but there are emergency payments, grants, etc. (I work in the agency that deals with disaster emergency payments.) 

On the other hand, we have a lot animals unique to Australia and our fauna has been decimated in large parts of the country. The battle to build up their numbers and rebuild their environments is probably our next big issue. Especially as the government doesn’t fund a lot of that sort of thing and they rely largely on donations and volunteers. 
    JaimieT
  • Is there a local nonprofit that contributes directly to the firefighters?
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    gguenot said:
    Is there a local nonprofit that contributes directly to the firefighters?
    RFS (NSW Rural Fire Service) 
    https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/about-us/fundraising

or 

CFA (same thing but in (Victoria) 
    https://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/about/victorian-bushfire-relief/donate

gguenotbazjenster
    edited January 23
    Humane Society International (linked in my earlier post) is Better Business Bureau accredited and dedicated to rescuing/healing wildlife affected by the fires.  They have a video making its way around that shows one of their people running out into the middle of a road to rescue a hurt and scared koala. :cry:   They would be my choice but in all honesty, any monetary relief making its way to where it’s most needed is a good thing. :heart:
    edited January 26
    Just saw this on Facebook.  It’s the Australian Army caring for koalas at a wildlife park. It has nothing to do with choosing a charity, and I don’t know if these particular koalas were saved from the fires, but I felt compelled to share. :heart:

A_Ron_HubbardNoelCecilyDemic
    I just realized that since they're giving them milk via the plungers, the koalas are most likely young/babies.  And, they all have a little stuffed animal curled up in the blankie with them.  Omg, my heart. :heart:
    Cecily
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Michelle There is nothing cuter than a baby animal with a woobie. 

(Exception: Unless it was Baby Yoda with a woobie.)
    MichelleFreddy
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited January 30
    I would hate to suggest an administrative/bookkeeping issue, but at the end of the day, you guys could always just split the funds up between multiple charities in the case of a tie, right? If you really want to fuck yourselves, let fans choose which predetermined charities recieve their donations. Personally, I'm pro people first, but I wouldn't hate anyone that picks helping a fucking baby koala bear over the likes of an Australian me.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Michelle said:
    I just realized that since they're giving them milk via the plungers, the koalas are most likely young/babies.  And, they all have a little stuffed animal curled up in the blankie with them.  Omg, my heart. :heart:
    What the fuck!? I thought those con descendants were giving them heroin. 
  • edited January 31
    Hi Baldmovers, happy Friday! Is the 24 hour stream today? Where can I go to watch? Sorry I am probably missing something obvious.
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    edited January 31
    It starts at noon (eastern I believe) on Twitch.

Cecily's great info when I asked the same thing on another thread - his will be on Twitch.  It's free, and you can watch on your computer, or download the app on any device including your TV if it's compatible.  You don't have to create an account to watch, but you should if you want to join in with the live chat!

If you've ever watched any of our livewatch videos before, it'll be the same.  The movie will be visible but obscured so you can sync up your watch, however it won't be watchable by any means and there won't be movie audio.  (We do this to avoid copyright strikes.)

edit: where's the link to donate?
  • Thanks Teresa! Much appreciated.
    https://baldmove.com/2020-groundhog-day/
    Darmock&Jalad@TenagraTeresa from Concord
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Michelle said:
    https://baldmove.com/2020-groundhog-day/
    Thanks for the link. But why don't I see this on the home page?
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Michelle said:
    Just saw this on Facebook.  It’s the Australian Army caring for koalas at a wildlife park. It has nothing to do with choosing a charity, and I don’t know if these particular koalas were saved from the fires, but I felt compelled to share. :heart:

Firefighters and koalas modelled into collector-edition ‘Pop Vinyl’ dolls

Michelle
    ^^^^^ :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:
    Cory
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Michelle said:
    ^^^^^ :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:
    I knew you'd like that.  I wonder if there will be any around here.  I don't have many POP figures (Bruce Wayne, Groot, Mike Ehrmantraut, Mike Trout and Sidney Crosby), but I'd definitely get this one.