Coronavirus / COVID-19

Comments

• JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited March 2020
    Cory said:
    JaimieT said:
    With my vacation cancelled with no refund, and with grocery stores being emptied, I am both enraged and terrified. 

It's great the population owns guns.  :/
    You for sure aren't getting a refund?  Or is a bunch of red-tape bullshit going to make it take a long while?

Possibly the latter. Right now they won't even take my call. Too many people are calling so they're restricting me to within 72 hours of the flight/hotel.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Houston schools are all closed for the next 2 weeks.  Next week is spring break anyways but with schools closed then day camp places like Idea Lab etc will all be closed too.  Just please God keep the liquor stores open. 
  • podcartfanpodcartfan Cincinnati
    The president came in contact with a Brazilian official who has tested positive....and the Whitehouse has remained insistent that Trump does not require testing or self-isolation.  This is so bananas, surely he's been tested and they just aren't telling us right?
    Michelle
    Wow this will be the fastest I ever get thru Mister Carwash. Shit is deserted.  
  • The president came in contact with a Brazilian official who has tested positive....and the Whitehouse has remained insistent that Trump does not require testing or self-isolation.  This is so bananas, surely he's been tested and they just aren't telling us right?
    I don't generally wish illness or death on others, buuuuttttt that would be some sweet irony. 
    MurderbearAlkaid13bizmarkiefaderMichelleMarciweeniegirl
  • Presumably either this is part of his brand “the President is so great he’s immune to diseases!”, or he’s a fucking moron and just doesn’t feel the need to get tested in which case, fuck him I hope he catches it. Motherfucker is largely responsible for the poor response and probably will cause more unnecessary deaths so if his intentionally poor planning means he contracts it then just desserts really. 
    weeniegirl
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    JaimieT said:
    Cory said:
    JaimieT said:
    With my vacation cancelled with no refund, and with grocery stores being emptied, I am both enraged and terrified. 

You for sure aren't getting a refund?  Or is a bunch of red-tape bullshit going to make it take a long while?

Possibly the latter. Right now they won't even take my call. Too many people are calling so they're restricting me to within 72 hours of the flight/hotel.
    Err, that does make sense, although I hope you get your refund.
    JaimieT
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    The president came in contact with a Brazilian official who has tested positive....and the Whitehouse has remained insistent that Trump does not require testing or self-isolation.  This is so bananas, surely he's been tested and they just aren't telling us right?
    Our PM's wife tested positive for it, so Justin Trudeau is in quarantine. 
    Elisa
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Yeah, my guess is he's immune. He's a special type of person. He once went golfing and got 18 hole in ones. All hail the Supreme Leader!
    Michellehisdudeness915
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    I wouldn't be surprised is he's tested every hour. But even if he tested positive, they will try to keep that under lock and key hard
    Cory said:
    JaimieT said:
    Cory said:
    JaimieT said:

Welcome to the world post 3/12 I guess. Thanks.
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    We had a trip planned to Raleigh, NC to see a hockey game on March 31. Of course that's out the window. We were able to get our Air B&B money back. We only lost the 38$ deposit so i count us lucky. I hope people who are trying to get refunds are able to do so quickly and with a bit of understanding from the other side
  • Cory said:
    JaimieT said:
    Cory said:
    JaimieT said:

Most places are no refunds for unforseen circumstances. A lot of venues won't give you your money back, they'll likely offer a credit for future shows/events/times.

Probably have to go through the CC companies if you really want refunds. 
    JaimieTrhcoop
    edited March 2020
    redlancer said:
    Cory said:
    JaimieT said:
    Cory said:
    JaimieT said:

Most places are no refunds for unforseen circumstances. A lot of venues won't give you your money back, they'll likely offer a credit for future shows/events/times.

Probably have to go through the CC companies if you really want refunds. 

I'm more optimistic now. Delta's website has the "Cancel" button to give me a refund, in the context of the COVID19 dates. The "Confirm" part isn't working -- probably too much volume.

And Marriott! Oh, Marriott is losing good will from me. Other hotel chains have sent out emails about their COVID19 cancellation policy, but Marriott has just thrown information on its website, today, and there are enough exceptions in there that I don't see the point in grappling with them right now. (I've seen anecdotes from those who have.)

I bought this fucking package through Priceline, which is also completely unhelpful (of course). I hate that I did that. I never do that. For some reason, the price persuaded me this time. I usually have a policy of keeping everything modifiable/cancellable, but of course the one time you don't...!

I think Marriott will come around, and that's the $800 I want back. God, they can even let me move the dates; I'd be fine with that. They have to come around if everyone else is...?

Technically I deserve to be screwed here since I was fully aware I was buying into something with a shitty cancellation policy. I just thought, you know, it's the Smithsonians and I pay taxes for those to stay open. I thought I could gamble with this one.

MichaelG said:
    Yesterday felt like 9/11, just a day I'll never forget.  I really hope we all pull together and take care of ourselves and each other.  The Trump administration clearly cares more about the economy and PR than the health of it's citizens. 

Advocate to your local health departments and governors and school leaders to follow the science wherever it leads!

When you said this (about 3/11) my reaction was.... "I mean. I GUESS I can see that, but that seems exaggerated."

Then 3/12 happened.

What did you see on 3/11 that I didn't? 
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    What do people know about the 1.5 trillion dollar influx into the stock market? I know it's always a little more complicated than "government just gave Wall Street a 1.5 trillion dollar check", but if that is even remotely the case, it's literally enough to give each adult in the U.S. around 7 grand each. Which is a fuck of a lot better than payroll tax cuts.

On a more positive note: I did hear about a great idea for restaurants and bars to keep a float. Basically, just buy gift cards instead of going out and then throw post-Corona celebration dinners and parties. I'd like to see it go a step further in finding a way to help service industry workers, but I do know a lot of bar and restaurant owners that this would help with.
    MichelleNoelElisaMichaelG
  • Freddy said:
    What do people know about the 1.5 trillion dollar influx into the stock market? I know it's always a little more complicated than "government just gave Wall Street a 1.5 trillion dollar check", but if that is even remotely the case, it's literally enough to give each adult in the U.S. around 7 grand each. Which is a fuck of a lot better than payroll tax cuts.

I'm not totally sure either, but I don't think it has to do with giving money that wasn't already there. More in line with converting bonds, etc, back into cash so there's more liquidity to buy and sell.

Kind of like if your bank runs out of cash on hand, your money is still in your account, but when people can't withdraw it in cash they freak out. 

The payroll tax cuts would be us getting money that we normally pay (you'd essentially get 7% raise immediately), but man, I think that's a very slippery slope of help me now hurt me later deficit spending since most of that money is for SS and medicare. 

There are going to be so many pandemic babies right?  Quarantine babies?  Cause people gon' be ffffffffffffffffffuckinnnnnn!!!!   Like when there is a big snow storm or hurricane the hospital baby wards can always trace a baby boom back to some major event where a whole lot of people had to hunker down.

Noel
    I don't know, it doesn't seem like a great time to have a kid.
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    redlancer said:
    Freddy said:

I'm not totally sure either, but I don't think it has to do with giving money that wasn't already there. More in line with converting bonds, etc, back into cash so there's more liquidity to buy and sell.

Kind of like if your bank runs out of cash on hand, your money is still in your account, but when people can't withdraw it in cash they freak out. 

The payroll tax cuts would be us getting money that we normally pay (you'd essentially get 7% raise immediately), but man, I think that's a very slippery slope of help me now hurt me later deficit spending since most of that money is for SS and medicare. 

Maybe I'm oversimplifying or misunderstanding, but that would also do nothing to help anyone facing reduced hours or layoffs, no?
    Elisa
    Current status: Panic buying at albertacannabis.org
    cdriveElisaNoelMichelle
  • Flukes said:
    didja get your related cleaning supplies?
    Flukes
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    edited March 2020
    Flukes said:
    redlancer said:

Maybe I'm oversimplifying or misunderstanding, but that would also do nothing to help anyone facing reduced hours or layoffs, no?

No, it wouldn't. Biggest boost would be to businesses, where they pay a lot in payroll taxes. People with jobs get some extra cash. People already laid off, no. A 7% raise when your salary is $0 is still $0   :(
    Elisa
    tom_g said:
    Flukes said:
    didja get your related cleaning supplies?
    That's the one area where I'm already well-prepared. I have months-worth of Iso.
  • For those interested the The Daily has a great series of podcasts on the virus. Some of the information they provided was new to me, even after reading many articles.

Here is an episode from a couple weeks ago with good information, and several more have been released since then. 
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/27/podcasts/the-daily/coronavirus.html

One thing that I think is important to note, is in the first 45,000 cases in China, 20% of them were classified as something other than mild. Basically 20% were of a serious situation that may have required breathing devices/assistance, all the way up to organ failure. So, while death rate is relatively low the only reason for that is modern technology. Italy is facing this situation now where they simply don't have enough equipment to help everyone who needs it. 

Do your best to stay safe. The US response has been awful. 
    MarciMichaelG
    Spec's liquor was all the way wiped out of everclear.   :'(
    FreddyFlukesNoel
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Michelle said:
    Seriously, I just need a pack to restock!  I'm thinking the lady with 20 packs in her cart can spare one. :confused:

cdriveNoelhisdudeness915Marci
  • DoubleA_RonDoubleA_Ron San Diego
    edited March 2020
    Local newscaster just pointed this out:

Is it not odd that we're being told to distance ourselves, while political/health/business leaders are all standing next to each other, shaking hands & touching the same mic--especially given the likely recent exposure to the president?#coronavirus #COVID19 #CoronaOutbreak pic.twitter.com/95e1yShQxM

— Andrew Luria (@AndrewLuria) March 13, 2020
  • Anyone think that maybe the president inserted himself into the trial for the vaccine and that is why he isn't scared?
    Never mind,  it's got to be his ego.