Coronavirus / COVID-19

Comments

• DoubleA_RonMarciMichelleNoelFlukesweeniegirl
    0.jpg 145.6K
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited March 2020
    This is bonkers. Passed the buck to no one while also passing the same buck to Obama.
    GiovanniElisa
  • I was waiting for him to call up the CEO of Hooters
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    edited March 2020
    Real leaders take responsibility and share credit. Just saying.
    JaimieT
  • MichaelGMichaelG Seattle
    edited March 2020
    https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/health/2-new-coronavirus-cases-emerge-in-washington-in-king-county-and-snohomish-county/

I live in Snohomish County.....

Snohomish Health District Briefing Video (worth watching)

The most worrisome thing about the high school case out here is that the student didn't contract it from a known source (no contact with other patients or travel abroad). I imagine that means he got it from someone who doesn't know they have it, which I presume means we are likely to have an outbreak of some kind out here soon. 

I guess I'll be reporting live from the Hot Zone momentarily. 
    This seems like so long ago.......... Guess I was right?

Reading back in the history of this thread is uh.. interesting. 

I actually bumped this thread once, lol. How times have changed. 
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    @MichaelG I just spoke to my aunt who lives in Snohomish too. She was very reassuring. Right now I'm freaking out, but many people around me are still in denial that this is a problem, which just compounds the anxiety. She said that was a problem initially for her too (the denial).
  • @JaimieT

Oh nice, we're actually up in Everett, I can see the hospital where the first patient in the US was admitted in fact. 

Yea, people aren't freaking out, but everything is shut down. Sort of feels like the calm before a hurricane. It seems we're about 3 weeks ahead of the country mentally in some ways, even though we are just now shuttering schools and banning gatherings like everyone else. 

I sense that the rest of the country is a little in denial about it as well - there's an adrenaline rush at first that is almost kind of fun. But then reality sets and you wake up every day realizing that you have no idea what the next few months or more are going to look like for the region, and it sucks. 
    JaimieT
  • weeniegirlweeniegirl Atlanta, GA
    edited March 2020
    We were getting ready to put our house on the market in less than two weeks. Now I don’t know if I should keep working on everything for that (touching up paint, cleaning, boxing junk, yard work) or just give it a rest for a few days because who’s going to want to buy a house right this minute? Besides us. 

Focusing on all the house tasks has kept my anxiety about the situation at bay, but as of yesterday school in cancelled for the foreseeable future in our county and I will now have my kindergartener at home to entertain. All I really want to do is catch up on sleep and all the Bald Move covered shows I’m behind on. 

Anyone have any thoughts on the state of real estate?
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited March 2020
    We were getting ready to put our house on the market in less than two weeks. Now I don’t know if I should keep working on everything for that (touching up paint, cleaning, boxing junk, yard work) or just give it a rest for a few days because who’s going to want to buy a house right this minute? Besides us. 

Focusing on all the house tasks has kept my anxiety about the situation at bay, but as of yesterday school in cancelled for the foreseeable future in our county and I will now have my kindergartener at home to entertain. All I really want to do is catch up on sleep and all the Bald Move covered shows I’m behind on. 

Not looking to buy or sell, but we did just apply to refinance my wife's student loans - would be about 1.5% lower rate. Thinking about looking into a mortgage refi next.
    weeniegirl
  • MrX said:

Not looking to buy or sell, but we did just apply to refinance my wife's student loans - would be about 1.5% lower rate. Thinking about looking into a mortgage refi next.

Seems like a great time to refinance a house. We refinanced our house several years ago when rates were way down. Changed our 30 year loan to a 15 and still ended up with lower payments than we had on the original loan. Now we only have about 6 years left to pay off our house we originally bought in 2009 with a 30yr loan.

Now, if someone could help with my 401k adding 2 years to my retirement age in the last week... 
    weeniegirl
  • MrX said:

Rates are insanely low.  Crazy time in the mortgage industry right now.

Definitely worth giving your Loan Officer a call to see if they can do anything for you.
  • MrX said:

Definitely worth giving your Loan Officer a call to see if they can do anything for you.
    My guess is with the economy in such flux right now, it’s going to be tricky to refi. Depends on what your goals are - this Covid stuff could really impact your equity. 
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    edited March 2020
    The current status of the coronavirus in Seattle, your mileage may vary:

A homeless patient checked into what used to be an EconoLodge motel in Kent on Thursday, that was recently purchased by King County to use as a quarantine site, while he awaited coronavirus test results.

Shortly after, he reportedly “disregarded the instructions of an onsite guard and left the motel.” He then entered a convenience store, “where he allegedly shoplifted items,” before getting on a northbound Route 153 King County Metro bus.

Metro reports that the bus has been immediately taken out of service for cleaning and sanitization

edited March 2020
    redlancer said:
    Not too worried. CDC says just this current flu season alone there have been up to 18million cases and up to 17,000 deaths. This new virus has resulted in, what, 6 or so confirmed fatalities? 

Just the current Disease-of-the-week™ for now.

source: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

Also from @redlancer in Feb - YMMV - lol 

That said, I don’t disagree that it’s absurd this happened. but you can’t talk shit about how this is nothing in the beginning, then talk shit about how local govt is now not taking this seriously enough now. 
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    edited March 2020
    MichaelG said:
    redlancer said:
    Not too worried. CDC says just this current flu season alone there have been up to 18million cases and up to 17,000 deaths. This new virus has resulted in, what, 6 or so confirmed fatalities? 

Just the current Disease-of-the-week™ for now.

source: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

Also from @redlancer in Feb - YMMV - lol 

That said, I don’t disagree that it’s absurd this happened. but you can’t talk shit about how this is nothing in the beginning, then talk shit about how local govt is now not taking this seriously enough now. 
    I still stand by my initial assessment. And my last post is specifically about local govt not taking it seriously. They already have a lackadaisical approach to homeless as it is, mixing in with a locally controversial quarantine site lasted about 12 hours until it blew up in their face.
    edited March 2020

To me just seems like you’re talking shit out of both sides of your mouth. If it’s not a big deal who cares if he gets out? 

I read over old posts today and you are consistently on the wrong end of this. We’ll see how it shakes out. Take care. 
    Giovanni
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited March 2020
    It's going to be bad for some people - peak hospitalizations are predicted for May.  Major hospitals in New York City are transferring patients out to create space.   People who aren't sick or had a mild case will wonder what the big deal is while the medical system is overrun.
    MichaelGCory
  • MichaelG said:

To me just seems like you’re talking shit out of both sides of your mouth. If it’s not a big deal who cares if he gets out? 

I read over old posts today and you are consistently on the wrong end of this. We’ll see how it shakes out. Take care. 
    I don't think I've said anything that was factually incorrect at the time it was written, or even a subjectively 'wrong' opinion, and the overriding fact remains that for the vast majority of us this won't have any medical implications. It now has some serious social and financial implications for everyone, but that's what happens when you mix anything with 21st century social media, it goes, er, viral? Is that still a thing we say? Lol

edited March 2020
    @redlancer

Do the math friend. Assumed a conservative .6% case fatality rate for a 50% infection rate - what’s the deaths you calculate in the US? Just the “disease of the week” still?
  • MichaelG said:
    @redlancer

Do the math friend. Assumed a conservative .6% case fatality rate for a 50% infection rate - what’s the deaths you calculate in the US? Just the “disease of the week” still?

Also it may be up to 20% of cases end up hospitalized and 5% on a ventilator for an extended period.
    Giovanni
  • MichaelG said:
    @redlancer

Also it may be up to 20% of cases end up hospitalized and 5% on a ventilator for an extended period.
    That is way outside of the realm of likely rates from what I’ve seen - where did you see that?

im sure @redlancer is a little activated against me, but agrees with my skepticism. 
  • I would say that generally people underestimate both the best and worst case scenarios in these sort of circumstances. Hopefully we collectively get off our asses, throw all of our ludicrous amount of resources at the problem (instead of bailing out fucking cruise ship industries or whatever), and we end up somewhere between Italy and South Korea on the scale of responses; it’s sort of too late for the literal best case scenario to happen now but it’s still possible to limit this crisis to a large degree. It’s also entirely possible that the government continues to fuck up the response as they have for the past few weeks, various news media continue to put out disinformation, and our shoddy medical system fails to withstand the strain and collapses in on itself thereby leading the entire country to be quarantined a la Italy in a few weeks and potentially tens of thousands to millions of deaths. 
    MichaelG
  • Flu shot wont protect you from Covid-19 but will greatly help healthcare professionals 
    https://www.livescience.com/amp/getting-flu-shot-help-coronavirus-outbreak.html
    edited March 2020
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Most people infected with COVID-19 virus have mild disease and recover. Approximately 80% of laboratory confirmed patients have had mild to moderate disease, which includes non-pneumonia and pneumonia cases, 13.8% have severe disease (dyspnea, respiratory frequency ≥30/minute, blood oxygen saturation ≤93%, PaO2/FiO2 ratio <300, and/or lung infiltrates >50% of the lung field within 24-48 hours) and 6.1% are critical (respiratory failure, septic shock, and/or multiple organ dysfunction/failure). Asymptomatic infection has been reported, but the majority of the relatively rare cases who are asymptomatic on the date of identification/report went on to develop disease. The proportion of truly asymptomatic infections is unclear but appears to be relatively rare and does not appear to be a major driver of transmission. 
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Leaked slide paints a grim picture for the US
    Hopefully the "best guess" is more realistic for the US.
    Very sobering - good chart to get a grasp on what we’re looking at. 

There is speculation that Italy is being hit especially hard bc their population skews older than most, coupled with their cultural norms of kissing. 

That said, our population isn’t stock full of spring chicken either (see Boomers)
    Elisa
  • There is a medieval armor and weapon history YouTube host in Sicily that is sick and self quarantined after plane ride back from US via Spain left him sick. He said he is disgusted about his fellow youth that are treating it like a big party and ignoring all warnings because their risk is low and probably continuing to spread it everywhere. 
  • MichaelG said:
    MrX said:

My guess is with the economy in such flux right now, it’s going to be tricky to refi. Depends on what your goals are - this Covid stuff could really impact your equity. 
    The immediate pitfall may lie with those who are placed on leave from work due to the numerous employer shutdowns.

Equity likely wouldn’t be affected for quite some time, as it would require a pretty severe housing slump in order for values to actually start decreasing.  That’s not to say that it won’t happen down the line, depending on both the severity and brevity of the crisis...
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    We have no confirmed cases in my province, and last I heard one suspected/unconfirmed case in our only neighboring province.

Rumors last night at work that we may soon shut down for about 2 weeks, up to a month due to not being able to ship across the border.

Most (all?) sporting events are canceled here.

Work sent out a memo about "restricted" countries, that they say you must self-quarantine for two weeks once you return, before stepping foot on any company property.

The guy who works next to me, his wife's cousin is visiting from one of the countries on the list.  And she's due to give birth on the 21st.

So I, and my work may have been exposed.  1200+ people working there, and half of which make up 1 of only 2 plants in North America of that kind.

• Cory said:

and half of which make up 1 of only 2 plants in North America of that kind.

What do you sell so I can go panic buy a bunch? I really hope it isn't tractors...