Coronavirus / COVID-19

Comments

• JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    ken hale said:
    JaimieT said:

I don't think Americans are unique. 

This is just more American exceptionalism bullshit.
    But the psychological phenomenon of "American exceptionalism," which is absolutely real, is exactly what makes us unique in, and uniquely unequipped to deal with, a situation like this.  That's my whole argument.  I do hope I'm wrong.

... It's an interesting argument. I do think you're wrong. I think everyone else also thinks they're exceptional. if it's not in their social rhetoric, they believe this as an individual, which is more powerful. 

If other people are better about handling the hardship so far, off the top of my head, it might be because they can see the actual fucking problem. From where I'm standing on the east coast of the US, this could still be an elaborate hoax. 

• JaimieT said:
    From where I'm standing on the east coast of the US, this could still be an elaborate hoax. 

Unless you are poorly trolling read the stories out of Italy. We are 2 weeks behind where they are.

Elisa
    I'm not trolling. I was describing a psychological phenomenon.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Guys, come on. Take a breath and calm down a bit please. From your friendly neighborhood c:\ 
    MichelleDoubleA_RonNoelDeeadobo1148
    edited March 2020
    cdrive said:
    Guys, come on. Take a breath and calm down a bit please. From your friendly neighborhood c:\ 

I'm not sure what you're talking about. I'm pretty calm (especially when compared to the last 3 days, when I had fantastic reasons to not be calm). I also perceive that everyone else in this thread is calm.

Anyway, I think we're discussing important things here. Where were you telling me to calm down Thursday when they cancelled my vacation without a refund? :D I coulda used more concern then. This is just a discussion, the goal of which is empathy. (And I think @ken hale would agree.)

cdriveken hale
    ^You want concern?! I am loaded with concern!  :D Seriously though, sorry to hear about your vacation and getting screwed over.  I’m afraid my Covid thread might inevitably get swizzbolded, and that place isn’t as developed yet to be as free talking and frequent as we are here.  I appreciate my fellow BMers sharing and talking here! 
    JaimieT
    Yeah. I should hope tone doesn't make something a candidate for getting Swizzbolded, or saying "fuck," or mentioning American exceptionalist attitudes, or discussing a present day event, etc.

Right now it definitely feels like anything that provides one relief can and will get snatched away, at least to me.  :(
    cdriveken hale
  • Given the seriousness of the situation there’s no reason to cordon off an informative thread to one place. If the whole thread devolves into a slap fight about why x politician is or isn’t fucking this whole thing up then and how could you possibly suggest that x politician is fucking this up are you even an American?! etc then maybe. As is though this is a wide ranging issue with various points of topics some of which are political in nature. 

TLDR: prob staying on the forums. 
    Marcicdrive
    edited March 2020
    Jesus.... all the bars and restaurants in Chicago. (And Illinois)  oof. 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    It’s fucking crazy here. I don’t know what the hell people think is going to happen, but they are still cleaning out supermarkets. Even with purchase limits imposed there’s nothing left on shelves. 

One of our major supermarkets has now set up an hour in the early morning where only the elderly and disabled can shop. Hopefully that means people who can’t fight the feral hoarding bogans will be able to buy some toilet paper and tea bags. 
    JaimieTFlukesweeniegirl
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I have a friend who is a store manager of a grocery store in a larger city here in Cali.  They're limiting qty on toilet paper purchases, but there isn't as much coming in now as there would normally be, which is making it harder to provide everyone with their needs.  Now would be a great time for the humanitarian in us to shine, to offer our excess to those who need it - especially the elderly, infirmed, families with small kids/babies, and/or those who can't get out to the store or are just in need.
    Marci
  • MichelleMichelle California
    How many of us are working from home tomorrow?  I'm not, but our company is fairly small (10 people on site) and we don't deal with the public, just each other and the freight drivers that come to pick up orders.  We're putting a plan in place in case the owners want us to work from home, but so far I'll be there tomorrow as normal.  I'm pretty much the entire accounting dept. though, so it's easy for me to not be around many people at all unless I go downstairs to the breakroom or restroom.  Continuing to wash hands and sanitize as normal, standing back from people in the meantime.  But I will say, the thought of working from home in my pj's sounds oh, so good.
    calebthrowerCoryFlukes
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    Michelle said:
    How many of us are working from home tomorrow?  I'm not, but our company is fairly small (10 people on site) and we don't deal with the public, just each other and the freight drivers that come to pick up orders.  We're putting a plan in place in case the owners want us to work from home, but so far I'll be there tomorrow as normal.  I'm pretty much the entire accounting dept. though, so it's easy for me to not be around many people at all unless I go downstairs to the breakroom or restroom.  Continuing to wash hands and sanitize as normal, standing back from people in the meantime.  But I will say, the thought of working from home in my pj's sounds oh, so good.
    I'm a teacher here in SC and our governor closed schools for two weeks today starting tomorrow. All teachers do report tomorrow as a "teacher workday" to get our stuff ready and then after that I will be teaching remotely through at least April 6th. I teach 6th grade so we will see how they handle this learning from home thing lol.
    Michelle
  • My school (at which I teach... in Missouri) extended Spring Break (which just started) by an extra week. Then, classes will be moved online “until further notice”.

• There's plenty of cases in NYC, people still weren't taking it all that seriously.  
  • I’m lucky that I work from home all the time but even if I didn’t, my company is having everyone over 50 do it until further notice (and I fit that demo). My husband is a teaching assistant for a college and they have moved classes online, so he will be home too.
  • For all my fellow GenXers feeling down, GenX has been trending on Twitter and I just spent an hour laughing at all the tweets.

MichelleDeecdriveMarciFlukesweeniegirl
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @CapeGabe Why is it trending? (Not on Twitter.)
  • Because everyone is belatedly realizing we’re awesome. 
    DeefidozCapeGabecdriverhcoopweeniegirl
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Michelle said:
    I'm at work now, with 10 hours left. 3 suspected cases in the province now, mandatory isolation and limits on bulk purchases in effect.

Wondering how much longer we'll be running. 
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Theres talk March break will be extended here for schools as well.
  • Dee said:
    Because the Latchkey generation can self isolate without losing their minds unlike Boomers and Millenials.

This is the moment we were born for.

There are a lot of funny memes flying around tonight. 

DeecdriveNoelMarciJSDCArhcoopken hale
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    So, My son and I got sick with what I thought was a cold last weekend. We both ran a high fever for one day. He quickly got over it but I've had a sore chest and a cough for a week now. My wife came down with the same thing a few days ago. We've been self quarantining and we're pretty sure this wasn't a cold. The school my son goes to is about half international students and my wife works and one of the major hospital systems in Houston. We're doing fine just thought I'd share my experience. Just by fate a few weeks ago we decided we needed an outside freezer so we bought one and loaded it with meat and frozen food at the same time we installed a bidet. Looks like we may have been subconsciously prepping for this.
    JaimieTCapeGabecdriveElisaNoelChinaskiMichelleMarciweeniegirlGiovanni
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    CapeGabe said:
    Dee said:
    Because the Latchkey generation can self isolate without losing their minds unlike Boomers and Millenials.

This is the moment we were born for.

There are a lot of funny memes flying around tonight. 

I’m pretty excited about the prospect of isolating myself - I love nothing better than just pottering around alone at home. 
    ken hale
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Our company mandated that everyone work from home until further notice so this is how we do it now. 

We’ve been eating in and also ordering pickup or delivery from the places we would normally goto, to keep our local small businesses going. 

Crazy, scary times. Wine helps some.  :)
    Teresa from Concord
  • I work in a reference lab currently doing Corona virus testing, so a lot of people here won't be able to work from home. This was a pretty crazy week for us. Our test went live Wednesday night and we were running out of reagent so quickly that by Friday night we were only testing local samples and referring everything else out to other labs.

As of now, all those other labs are saying they are at capacity, so we're basically waiting until we get more reagent. We're hoping that will happen by Tuesday, but who knows. We received over 1000 specimens yesterday, and close to 2000 today, so the back logs could get really bad really quickly. Luckily our test was developed in house, and is unique enough that we won't be relying on the same reagent as everyone else. It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out, though. 
    JaimieTMichellebizmarkiefaderMarciElisaweeniegirl
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    @fidoz - hope you and your wife get well soon. hang in there bud.
    NoelMichellecdrivefidoz
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco

We won't make even the smallest, most obvious sacrifices. Why is this open? So many vulnerable people are going to die who don't have to and nobody doing shit like this will ever connect the dots.
    MarciGiovanniNoelweeniegirl
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Solid John Oliver segment:
    Weird as hell without the audience though. His jokes are definitely laugh track material.

• HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited March 2020

We won't make even the smallest, most obvious sacrifices. Why is this open? So many vulnerable people are going to die who don't have to and nobody doing shit like this will ever connect the dots.
    This has me perplexed. I mean I understand these families saved probably for at least a year for that trip. And their kids are only getting older. I get the rationale behind their decisions. I also understand why Disney won’t close or refund money as a business so thus its use it or lose it. On the flip side though it just seems like a bad idea and not worth the risk. If the government can cut interest rates to 0 like nothing and just let Wall Street play with free money then why can’t they help support families so they don’t feel they need to risk getting sick or lose 1k. Right now Wall Street is getting funneled play money while families are wondering how they can make up their losses and pay their 21% interest rate CCs.
    CoryMarciJaimieTGiovanniNoelweeniegirl