Coronavirus / COVID-19

Comments

• FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited March 2020
    Cory said:
    Idris Elba has Tested Positive for Coronavirus
    They travel so much and are around so many people (all of whom are around a lot of people themselves) that I feel like celebrities are in the same risk class as politicians and healthcare workers.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    So Trump and about 20 of his administration officials just grouped up on stage to tell us to avoid getting in groups greater than 10.   :|
    JaimieTCapeGabeMichelleNoelhisdudeness915
  • cdrive said:
    So Trump and about 20 of his administration officials just grouped up on stage to tell us to avoid getting in groups greater than 10.   :|
    Welcome to the dumbest timeline. He also bragged about not touching his face then immediately touched his face. 
    Gan
    edited March 2020
    My brother-in-law and sister-in-law are in lock down.  San Jose, CA.  Santa Clara County.  @Michelle @Chinaski you guys being ordered to shelter also?

https://www.sccgov.org/sites/phd/DiseaseInformation/novel-coronavirus/Documents/03-16-20-Health-Officer-Order-to-Shelter-in-Place.pdf

• ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    cdrive said:
    My brother-in-law and sister-in-law are in lock down.  San Jose, CA.  Santa Clara County.  @Michelle @Chinaski you guys being ordered to shelter also?

https://www.sccgov.org/sites/phd/DiseaseInformation/novel-coronavirus/Documents/03-16-20-Health-Officer-Order-to-Shelter-in-Place.pdf

Santa Cruz County isn't on the list, but i still plan to stay in as much as possible regardless. i work in santa clara county so looks like i will continue to wfh.
    Michelle
  • MichelleMichelle California
    cdrive said:

I'm about 5 hrs north of the Bay Area, so no shelter-in-place orders up here (yet).  Many here are self-isolating though and the schools, bars, and clubs are closed.  Restaurants are slowly converting to to-go or delivery only. 
  • Locked down in WA - quarantine would be easier on the mind if we didn’t have a 2 year old.
    cdrive
  • cdrive said:
    Okay, WTF is WV doing?!?!

COUNTRY ROOOOOOOAAAAADS!
    TAKE ME HOOOOOOOOME!
    TO THE PLAAAAAAAACE!
    I BELOOOOOOOONG!
    WEST VIRGINIAAAAAAA!!
    MOUNTAIN MAMAAAAAAA!!!

Didn't someone here say they're from WV?  Who was that?  I have a decent amount of camping gear....you got a backyard?  

Yea... about that:

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1239649742646280193?s=21

Apparently the antidote is in those blueberry pancakes! 
    cdrive
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited March 2020
    Now this is what I like to see:
    My favorite bar owner shut down all three of his bars proactively, and then is offering $25, non expiring gift cards for $20; $15 of which is going to a pool to pay his staff. I'm really surprised he went that above and beyond.

My city is voting on closure of all restaurants and bars tomorrow. I'm sure it will pass.

cdriveMichelleFlukesAlkaid13Ganken hale
    edited March 2020
    All bars are getting closed here in Houston. All restaurants told no dining in. And no travel if you don’t need to. For 15 days. School closures extended from 3/30 to now 4/10. Mayor stressing this isn’t a lockdown.  

• fidozfidoz Houston
    Just got an email from Regal theaters that they are shutting down for the foreseeable future. 
    cdrive
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    cdrive said:
    All bars are getting closed here in Houston. All restaurants told no dining in. And no travel if you don’t need to. For 15 days. School closures extended from 3/30 to now 4/10. Mayor stressing this isn’t a lockdown.  

My best friend is a manager at Goode Kitchen and Cantina. I don't know what he's going to do. 
    cdrive
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    cdrive said:

San Francisco Bay area in "Stay in Place" until April 7. And just got an emergency alert on my iPhone that simply said, "Stay home - No gatherings" - the result is putting everyone in full panic.

My opinion but this has been handled very badly. We should have identified the group of citizens where this flu would be deadly, had them self-isolate, and then the other 98% of us protect their safety, free up medical care for them, and maintain the economy so when they don't get the flu the world they return to is the same. 
    JaimieTcdriveFreddy
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited March 2020
    Welcome to the thread @Teresa from Concord. I've been saying this is some bullshit since Thursday. I've been so alone!  :D

I'm willing to admit that kicking the economy off a cliff might be worth it, but there's a serious messaging problem. As evidenced by all the people in bars who haven't gotten the message.

If you can turn off society over one weekend, this is practically an authoritarian state, and I need my authoritarian states to tuck me in and read me a bedtime story.
    JaimieT said:
    Welcome to the thread @Teresa from Concord. I've been saying this is some bullshit since Thursday. I've been so alone!  :D

I'm willing to admit that kicking the economy off a cliff might be worth it, but there's a serious messaging problem. As evidenced by all the people in bars who haven't gotten the message.

I was holding out for sanity to come back, but when they closed the wineries......
    JaimieTDee
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    With the market in the tank. I bet Trump will personally profit. The office of the president, the ultimate insider trading. Just sayin.

fidoz said:
    cdrive said:

My best friend is a manager at Goode Kitchen and Cantina. I don't know what he's going to do. 
    Hope your bud does ok. We just ordered delivery from them tonight.  
    fidoz
    @fidoz just an update but our driver says Goode is super busy with to-go. 
    fidoz
  • redlancer said:
    Not too worried. CDC says just this current flu season alone there have been up to 18million cases and up to 17,000 deaths. This new virus has resulted in, what, 6 or so confirmed fatalities? 

Just the current Disease-of-the-week™ for now.

source: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

This...did not age well. 
    FreddyMichaelGGiovanniNoel
    Just ordered some Thai food. Some things still open.
    JaimieTChinaskicdriveAlkaid13Noel
  • rkcrawf said:
    redlancer said:
    Not too worried. CDC says just this current flu season alone there have been up to 18million cases and up to 17,000 deaths. This new virus has resulted in, what, 6 or so confirmed fatalities? 

Just the current Disease-of-the-week™ for now.

source: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

This...did not age well. 
    Yea... I posted something similar a few days back. Reading the history of this thread is a trip. That guy was uh, incorrect, consistently. 
  • GanGan
    edited March 2020
    Even if I dont get fired I am wondering if I should quit. Restaurants seem a bit risky and I dont want to chance making others sick.

I live with my father who will be 70yo soon. He has a lot of health issues already. My mother is almost 60 and she keeps wanting me to spend the night at her house cause she doesnt feel safe alone.

I had planned to stay in my sisters empty apartment starting today but my mother convinced me to stay one more night.

nstinsonFlukes
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Gan said:
    Even if I dont get fired I am wondering if I should quit. Restaurants seem a bit risky and I dont want to chance making others sick.

Make as much money as you can and save it. I am tipping every service person I come into contact with 20-30%. I hope others are too.
    HatorianNoelFlukes
  • CoryCory New Scotland
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    edited March 2020
    MichaelG said:
    rkcrawf said:

This...did not age well. 
    Yea... I posted something similar a few days back. Reading the history of this thread is a trip. That guy was uh, incorrect, consistently. 

I asked you the other day to point out anything I had said at the time I said it that was wrong and nobody ever did. The link you posted from the quote still shows upwards of 51 million people with the flu this year, and 670k hospitalizations, 55k dead for something we have the ability as a species for anybody to (almost) not ever have again. I guess if posting links to info on the CDC site is blasphemy than so be it. 

• cdrive said:

San Francisco Bay area in "Stay in Place" until April 7. And just got an emergency alert on my iPhone that simply said, "Stay home - No gatherings" - the result is putting everyone in full panic.

My opinion but this has been handled very badly. We should have identified the group of citizens where this flu would be deadly, had them self-isolate, and then the other 98% of us protect their safety, free up medical care for them, and maintain the economy so when they don't get the flu the world they return to is the same. 
    The only part I agree with is that this was handled badly. Most of the people at high risk require care. That means interaction with the 98% you want to go about freely with no restrictions. Second just because your in the low risk group doesn't mean you won't die. Plenty on young people have needed hospitalization. What happens when you're one of those people and the hospitals are overwhelmed with other people in the 98% who took a turn for the worse? You might actually die. 

To act like we shouldn't be taking this as seriously as we are is just crazy. The situation is extreme. Even if it's doesn't get too bad it's still going to get exponentially worse before it gets better. This is likely something you will remember for the rest of your life. 
    MichaelGMarciFlukes
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited March 2020
    @Gan
    Obviously the more people who interact with the more likely you are to catch it but to be honest you’re still about as likely to catch it from any grouping of 20 or more and depending on what state you’re in they’re probably going to shut you down in a few weeks anyways. If you don’t feel sick and you need the money, wear a mask and gloves and try and stay as sanitary as possible. If you do feel sick and you’re don’t need the cash as much, self-quarantine, don’t go to work, and avoid as much contact with your elderly relatives as possible. Your mother probably would feel safer if you stayed with her but also she’ll literally be safer if she doesn’t catch it, and daily phone conversations, perhaps even video chats if possible, will help with the social distancing. 

At this point I’d stress to most people: unless you have ready access to testing, you live near an outbreak area, and you’ve interacted with a lot people recently; whether or not you have symptoms, you might as well assume you have it already, so act accordingly because now people are testing positive before they have symptoms. 
    MichaelGMarci
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Right, tempers are flaring but abuse is not tolerated here. Re-read rules if you need to. Don’t get yourself banned because you lost your shit over something everyone is tense about. 
    MichaelGMarciFlukes
    edited March 2020
    Should I do #quarantunes here, in streaming music, or a new thread?? As the youngest Gen-Xer I would like to submit Single’s version of Mudhoney’s Touch Me I’m Sick with Citizen Dick’s Touch Me I’m Dick.

https://youtu.be/jd9yxSHYpRU
    MichaelGjohnnytruantMarciFlukesOliviaD
  • MichaelGMichaelG Seattle
    edited March 2020
    redlancer said:
    MichaelG said:
    rkcrawf said:

This...did not age well. 

I asked you the other day to point out anything I had said at the time I said it that was wrong and nobody ever did. The link you posted from the quote still shows upwards of 51 million people with the flu this year, and 670k hospitalizations, 55k dead for something we have the ability as a species for anybody to (almost) not ever have again. I guess if posting links to info on the CDC site is blasphemy than so be it. 

This is not true. Look up your own post history. Sorry @Dee

Ask anyone on here, this guy has been minimizing since day one.