Coronavirus / COVID-19

1212224262776

Comments

  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Also, there was a group of 18 Americans doing a bus tour around South Australia and they’ve been trekking around all over Adelaide, Barossa Valley etc. 10 of them have been confirmed positive for Covid-19, and it is believed that they had it when they got here. 
    MichaelG
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited March 2020
    I’m so upset right now. My father is only about halfway taking this whole thing seriously. I gave him a hand sanitizer, which he did put in his car, but he went to the grocery store today and I asked him if he used it after he used their debit card machine, and he said “no”.  He’s been out to fill up his gas tank as well, and I know he didn’t wash or sanitize after that.  I visit him at his home, and I am almost afraid to touch anything because all I want to do is just throw bleach over every single surface. And I don’t want to yell at him, but I did lose it a little bit with him today. I don’t think he truly understands that if he exposes himself, he then risks exposure to me, my sister, my nieces, everyone that he comes in contact with.  I don’t want to be angry with him, and I don’t want to yell at him as though he were a child, but I don’t know what else to do. :cry:

    Edit:  he also made himself a sandwich & is now eating without having washed his hands.  Erase my ‘halfway’ above & replace it with ‘not at all’.  :frowning:
    MichaelGGiovanni
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Dee said:
    mykhailo said:
    Oy. Just had “the meeting" at work on Friday. I'm in a surgery private practice, and the hospitals here shut down elective surgeries, without explaining what the parameters defining “elective” are. Urgent discectomies? Craniotomies for malignant brain tumors?  Neither of those are generally emergency surgeries. They sort of maybe walked back this policy some, possibly leaving it up to surgeons to use their judgment. 

    But still, any way it happens most surgeons are going to be totally hammered financially by this. In our meeting, it was basically laid out to us that the parters have agreed to underwrite our pay out of their own personal money until the end of April, but after that our practice basically will shut down, most all of us will be laid off, and our health insurance will be cancelled.  
    It’s so bad that at a time when so many will need health care they will lose their insurance because it’s tied to their work. I hope things don’t drag on for people in situations like yours. :-(
    Bald Mum, does Australia have healthcare for everyone similar to us, or is it through work insurance like the US?
  • I do not understand how WA still hasn’t ordered a shelter in place. Our mayor of our small city did, but for “bc economy” our governor is letting people crowd parks and non essential places, which people are doing in Seattle. It is enraging. 
    Elisa
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Michelle I get it. I kind of want to punch my mum in the face at the moment, she’s treating it all like a big joke, making snide comments about people over-reacting, sending me photos of her and my brother hugging. There’s no reasoning with her. 
    Michelle
  • DeeDee Adelaide

    Cory said:

    Bald Mum, does Australia have healthcare for everyone similar to us, or is it through work insurance like the US?
    We have Medicare which is the national health care for everyone. We also have private health cover but it’s not linked to employment - it’s more like an insurance that people take out if they want to. It is mostly used for things like dental and optometry, which are not covered by Medicare for god knows what reason. 
    ken hale
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited March 2020
    Dee said:
    @Michelle I get it. I kind of want to punch my mum in the face at the moment, she’s treating it all like a big joke, making snide comments about people over-reacting, sending me photos of her and my brother hugging. There’s no reasoning with her. 
    Exactly!  How are you managing to not argue with her about it (assuming you’re not)?  I have already kind of ‘gone off’ on him, then felt bad and apologized, but I don’t want him or anyone else to be at risk yet I don’t want to cause a rift between he and I either.  I guess I just leave it alone and whatever will be will be? :confused:
    Dee
  • I was helping a guy at work today and I told him to back up and stay 6’ away. His response? “Oh, if you’re gonna get it, you’re gonna get it” What kind of dumb ass mentality is that? 
    MichelleNoelGiovanniChinaskiDee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Michelle We don’t live in the same state so it’s all over the phone or text. I tried early on to explain the seriousness but her attitude is just ridiculous. She’s always been like that so I rarely engage or argue with her about anything. I’m just ignoring most of it at the moment and worrying about myself and Lil. If she wants to take herself and my stepdad out with her own stupidity there’s not much I can do. 
    MichelleJaimieT
  • Dee said:

    Cory said:

    Bald Mum, does Australia have healthcare for everyone similar to us, or is it through work insurance like the US?
    We have Medicare which is the national health care for everyone. We also have private health cover but it’s not linked to employment - it’s more like an insurance that people take out if they want to. It is mostly used for things like dental and optometry, which are not covered by Medicare for god knows what reason. 
    Some companies do give you private health insurance as well in Australia. The company I worked for did but I also wasn’t a PR/citizen at the time so I don’t know if that would have been taken away as I only got my PR after I moved for work. 

    Even without dental and eye coverage Australians still got it pretty good. Both my kids were born in Sydney and the first one my wife had complications and had all this extra procedures and recovery. Total bill was $0 for both. I think I spent $50 in total on vending machine food for 5 days in the hospital. 

    Warning though. Don’t go to Kings Cross ER at 3am on a Saturday night unless you want to see pure hell and chaos. 
    Dee
  • MichaelGMichaelG Seattle
    edited March 2020
    Jim said:
    Giovanni said:
    My wife is getting better, but both my kid and I have fevers. Wish there was a way to get tested, but our state took the stance of only testing those who end up hospitalized. I understand the logic, but not knowing really sucks. 
    I hope you and your family are going to be ok. If it you start feeling much worse, definitely go to the hospital and try to get tested. I also just read that @Garthgou81 had a power issue. I'm really glad you made it through that, buddy. It sounded rough. Everyone be safe! Take the precautions seriously and we'll get through this in time.
    How are you guys doing @Giovanni? What state are you in?

    Maybe this is implied in Jim’s comment, but don’t just go into the hospital if things get worse. Stay in contact with your health care provider and seek direction from them. If you or they think you should be hospitalized, call ahead so they can prepare to intake safely and reduce exposure to/from others. Hospitals are also high risk places to get the virus from others, intensity varies based on location. Out here in the PNW I’m not going near a hospital unless my provider says it’s absolutely necessary. Right now health care workers and hospital patients are the majority of people being tested, which kinda sucks. 

    On the bright side, our slope of cases isn’t rising aggressively, and rate of positive results for tests is relatively low compared to the rest of the country. We did upwards of 4000 tests in WA yesterday. 

    Edit: we now have drive through testing for high risk population and health care workers! It’s bit much but it’s a start:

    http://www.snohd.org/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=300



    Elisa
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited March 2020

    The picture definitely makes the meme 100x better...
    FreddyChinaskiAlkaid13JaimieTElisaMurderbearasmallcatrhcoopweeniegirlCecily
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Hatorian said:

    The picture definitely makes the meme 100x better...
    Oh great... Does this mean my dead dad is going to visit me?
    HatorianMurderbear
  • MichaelG said:
    Jim said:
    Giovanni said:
    My wife is getting better, but both my kid and I have fevers. Wish there was a way to get tested, but our state took the stance of only testing those who end up hospitalized. I understand the logic, but not knowing really sucks. 
    I hope you and your family are going to be ok. If it you start feeling much worse, definitely go to the hospital and try to get tested. I also just read that @Garthgou81 had a power issue. I'm really glad you made it through that, buddy. It sounded rough. Everyone be safe! Take the precautions seriously and we'll get through this in time.
    How are you guys doing @Giovanni? What state are you in?

    Maybe this is implied in Jim’s comment, but don’t just go into the hospital if things get worse. Stay in contact with your health care provider and seek direction from them. If you or they think you should be hospitalized, call ahead so they can prepare to intake safely and reduce exposure to/from others. Hospitals are also high risk places to get the virus from others, intensity varies based on location. Out here in the PNW I’m not going near a hospital unless my provider says it’s absolutely necessary. Right now health care workers and hospital patients are the majority of people being tested, which kinda sucks. 

    On the bright side, our slope of cases isn’t rising aggressively, and rate of positive results for tests is relatively low compared to the rest of the country. We did upwards of 4000 tests in WA yesterday. 

    Edit: we now have drive through testing for high risk population and health care workers! It’s bit much but it’s a start:

    http://www.snohd.org/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=300



    @Jim @MichaelG Thank you both for your concern. We're doing okay. No problems breathing or anything like that. My kid's fever seems to have gotten better today. I still have a fever for about three days now. Main issue is the persistent headache and feeling tired. 

    We live MN. I've been reading our department of health website, so I know what to do if things suddenly got worse. Luckily, we don't have any pre-existing conditions or anything that would put us the high risk group. Hopefully we'll all be feeling better in a few days!  Thank you again for your concern. 

    Hope everyone is able to stay safe and healthy through this. 
    MichaelGJaimieTElisaMurderbearJimweeniegirl
  • Giovanni said:
    MichaelG said:
    Jim said:
    Giovanni said:
    My wife is getting better, but both my kid and I have fevers. Wish there was a way to get tested, but our state took the stance of only testing those who end up hospitalized. I understand the logic, but not knowing really sucks. 
    I hope you and your family are going to be ok. If it you start feeling much worse, definitely go to the hospital and try to get tested. I also just read that @Garthgou81 had a power issue. I'm really glad you made it through that, buddy. It sounded rough. Everyone be safe! Take the precautions seriously and we'll get through this in time.
    How are you guys doing @Giovanni? What state are you in?

    Maybe this is implied in Jim’s comment, but don’t just go into the hospital if things get worse. Stay in contact with your health care provider and seek direction from them. If you or they think you should be hospitalized, call ahead so they can prepare to intake safely and reduce exposure to/from others. Hospitals are also high risk places to get the virus from others, intensity varies based on location. Out here in the PNW I’m not going near a hospital unless my provider says it’s absolutely necessary. Right now health care workers and hospital patients are the majority of people being tested, which kinda sucks. 

    On the bright side, our slope of cases isn’t rising aggressively, and rate of positive results for tests is relatively low compared to the rest of the country. We did upwards of 4000 tests in WA yesterday. 

    Edit: we now have drive through testing for high risk population and health care workers! It’s bit much but it’s a start:

    http://www.snohd.org/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=300



    @Jim @MichaelG Thank you both for your concern. We're doing okay. No problems breathing or anything like that. My kid's fever seems to have gotten better today. I still have a fever for about three days now. Main issue is the persistent headache and feeling tired. 

    We live MN. I've been reading our department of health website, so I know what to do if things suddenly got worse. Luckily, we don't have any pre-existing conditions or anything that would put us the high risk group. Hopefully we'll all be feeling better in a few days!  Thank you again for your concern. 

    Hope everyone is able to stay safe and healthy through this. 
    Hey another Minnesotan.  Sorry to hear everything you are going through and especially with MN not doing shit for testing because they have next to no kits.  I know you likely have plenty of people you can call for help but if you need anything at all feel free to message me through the forums.
    ElisaMurderbearGiovanni
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Chinaski said:
    Rich white guy gets advantage in life? Shocked.
    GiovanniDee
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Noel said:
    Chinaski said:
    Rich white guy gets advantage in life? Shocked.

    NoelMurderbearJaimieTFlukesCapeGabeFreddyShellyGiovanniTeresa from ConcordMichelleand 8 others.
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    My employer just announced a 20% salary cut across the board along with a 50% cut for executive leadership. The CEO and President are forgoing salary.

    They're also preparing to put some portion of the salaried colleagues on "furlough" which is basically like getting laid off but they will continue to pay your health insurance premiums. 

    If I end up being one of the unlucky ones, I may be able to take my paid leave to delay things a little. I still have four and half weeks of vacation left for the year.
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    latest talk of the town - Dean Koontz 1981 novel "Eyes of Darkness"  when re-released in 1989 changed the Russian bad guys to Chinese bad guys and the virus to Wuhan-400. Not useful information but topical.
  • @Flukes ,sorry man...
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Flukes said:
    My employer just announced a 20% salary cut across the board along with a 50% cut for executive leadership. The CEO and President are forgoing salary.

    They're also preparing to put some portion of the salaried colleagues on "furlough" which is basically like getting laid off but they will continue to pay your health insurance premiums. 

    If I end up being one of the unlucky ones, I may be able to take my paid leave to delay things a little. I still have four and half weeks of vacation left for the year.

    Yeah, I hope you are safe, even though that's still less money. Everything royally sucks.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Flukes said:
    My employer just announced a 20% salary cut across the board along with a 50% cut for executive leadership. The CEO and President are forgoing salary.

    They're also preparing to put some portion of the salaried colleagues on "furlough" which is basically like getting laid off but they will continue to pay your health insurance premiums. 

    If I end up being one of the unlucky ones, I may be able to take my paid leave to delay things a little. I still have four and half weeks of vacation left for the year.
    Sorry, flukes.  I had to take a half day of vacation today to watch the kids.  Had to cover for my wife who had a big conference call for several hours. Wouldn’t be surprised if I get fired over it even though my boss said it was okay.  Fears of furloughs, layoffs and salary cuts are starting to rise.  
    Elisa
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    That sucks @Flukes.  I'd extend my offer to come live with @JaimieT and I (and the others I offered it too), but I'm too high risk and just want to be home alone with internet, a big pile of guns and an army of Ligers surrounding my house.  Perhaps a moat and a Drogon as well.

    From what I've heard at work, we'll get 85% of our wages (through insurance) if we get shut down.

    I'm getting less and less keen about going to work through.  I'm high risk as a diabetic, and these night shifts are hard on the system.  And I have terrible psoriasis on my hands from work that causes my hands to crack open, making me susceptible to infection.
    DeeFlukes
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited March 2020
    Things are getting heavy on this thread (rightly so) and the tone of what I have to say, today, doesn't quite fit. I just want to acknowledge that before I say it anyway. 

    First of all, I got my refund for my cancelled trip! Hurray. Closing that thread. Thanks to everyone for saying I would.

    Second, I went into my favorite fast food restaurant yesterday around 3pm and there was a big group of people inside that startled me. The manager/owner was giving a talk to all the employees. He waved me in and said they were open, and one of the employees jumped up and started to get my meal. I'm a regular there. Think a tastier, grass-fed Chipotle, which is what it is. The sadness was palpable. Overhearing the owner explain to his employees (many of whom I see multiple times a week) that they're going to have to make whatever-cuts... Ugh, I just left that place and cried in my car. I don't even like going to restaurants right now because the mood is so bleak. I'm a mood sponge. But, I want to support them as long as I can, because it may sound silly but dining out is a huge fucking deal to me. I live alone, and it's almost a religious exercise. There are rules, there are rewards, there are costs, there are pleasures; it's such a comforting ritual. I love the people who participate in that for their career — and I'm damn proud of my own association with that as a point-of-sale designer. I hate that it's an easy victim right now.
    DeeCoryMichelleChinaskiElisaFlukesKela15Giovanni
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Cory What is Canada’s welfare system like? Is it like ours where you can basically get a payment of some kind if you’re not working or more like America’s?
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Dee said:
    @Cory What is Canada’s welfare system like? Is it like ours where you can basically get a payment of some kind if you’re not working or more like America’s?
    I'm not familiar with what the US' system is like, or really ours for that matter.

    By "welfare" do you mean "income assistance", or Unemployment Benefits?

    Unemployment benefits I'm more familiar with.  You need "X" amount of hours worked, which gets you "X" amount of paid weeks, and you get 55% of your regular wage (the average weekly of your best 14-17 weeks).

    For Social/Income Assistance (what most people call welfare, especially the older generations) the only people I know on it are either single mothers or people with some sort of disorder.  I have a friend who's bi-polar (although swears it's ADHD/ADD) who was on it, and another who is schizophrenic and likes to arrogantly gloat about being on it.

    Anyway, I'm off to work, night two of three.   :( 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Cory Oh, so that’s more like the US where it’s kind of a pay-in insurance system and then some other bits and pieces.

    Australian welfare is completely removed from employers. There is one government agency (Centrelink) that deals with all welfare except veteran’s payments - they have their own department. Centrelink pays unemployment payments, age pensions, disability pensions, carer pensions, etc. and all are a set maximum rate (with an income test that may reduce it) regardless of employment history. 
    Elisa
  • MichelleMichelle California
    @Flukes I am *so* sorry to hear of the situation at work and how it will affect you and your family.  
    JaimieTNoelElisa
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Dee said:
    @Cory Oh, so that’s more like the US where it’s kind of a pay-in insurance system and then some other bits and pieces.

    Australian welfare is completely removed from employers. There is one government agency (Centrelink) that deals with all welfare except veteran’s payments - they have their own department. Centrelink pays unemployment payments, age pensions, disability pensions, carer pensions, etc. and all are a set maximum rate (with an income test that may reduce it) regardless of employment history. 
    Yup all working people and businesses pay into "Employment Insurance".

    There are a lot of people here that use Employment Insurance. A lot of seasonal workers in tourism and fish plants. 


    Then theres the lobstermen who make $50-$70K  and draw EI for about 9 months a year on to of that.
Sign In or Register to comment.