Coronavirus / COVID-19

Comments

• cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    JFC! DOW already down another 1000+ pts.  Hasn't even been open an hour today!
  • cdrive said:
    I’d say this might be overstated and fear but seeing how many different stores/restaurants are out of specific items I can’t see how it’s possible the supply chain of the world isn’t really impacted and thus specific businesses are properly being sold once they report earnings that will be well below the standard. 
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Hatorian said:
    cdrive said:
    I’d say this might be overstated and fear but seeing how many different stores/restaurants are out of specific items I can’t see how it’s possible the supply chain of the world isn’t really impacted and thus specific businesses are properly being sold once they report earnings that will be well below the standard. 

Can you give an example of one or two items that are out in the stores?
  • On the flip side amazon, Netflix and other businesses focused on stay at home products are most likely going to see an increase. 
    edited February 2020
    I’m in a pickle. My family and MIL FIL have a 7 day Caribbean cruise booked in 2 weeks. With the virus in Latin America, and a cruise ship in Caribbean already denied ports due to a crew member with the flu, we’re questioning the trip. 

This morning two cases popped up in Mexico. I hope Norwegian or the government will make the decision for us. It’s looking more and more risky.
    Sounds risky, Rusty.  I'm sure you heard of what is happening on the Princess Cruise......
    Not to be a Debbie Downer, but cruises just don't seem like the best place to be right now.  

For me, yesterday it was confirmed that the business conference I was to attend in April in Tokyo was cancelled.  It was a real kick in the nuts because I was taking my wife and we were going to be there 9 days with less than half of those days being work-related days.  Our partners, the company hosting, was going to cover our hotel even on the extended days and my work was going to cover airfare and all our dining.  It was going to be amazing and incredibly cheap personally since all we would be spending money on would be souvenirs and excessive alcohol.  We were both going to turn 40 in Tokyo.  ANNNND NOWWWW.......I got to figure out how to get credit for the ticket I bought and was going to expense AND figure out how to somehow recoup my MileagePlus miles I used for my wife's ticket.  I'll probably end up getting screwed.  <thumbs up emoji>  

• HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited February 2020
    Wrong reply
  • JaimieT said:
    Hatorian said:
    cdrive said:

Can you give an example of one or two items that are out in the stores?
    We went to Din Tai Fung which is probably the most popular dumpling restaurant in the world. Or at least in Asia. It’s taiwanese. They were out of 10+ menu items. Yes it’s very likely they source a lot of their produce/foods from China but that’s the case for a lot of Asian restaurants this side of the world so yea it’s gonna impact sales on a continent that has more than half the worlds population
    JaimieTElisa

• cdrive said:
    I’m in a pickle. My family and MIL FIL have a 7 day Caribbean cruise booked in 2 weeks. With the virus in Latin America, and a cruise ship in Caribbean already denied ports due to a crew member with the flu, we’re questioning the trip. 

This morning two cases popped up in Mexico. I hope Norwegian or the government will make the decision for us. It’s looking more and more risky.
    Sounds risky, Rusty.  I'm sure you heard of what is happening on the Princess Cruise......
    Not to be a Debbie Downer, but cruises just don't seem like the best place to be right now.  

For me, yesterday it was confirmed that the business conference I was to attend in April in Tokyo was cancelled.  It was a real kick in the nuts because I was taking my wife and we were going to be there 9 days with less than half of those days being work-related days.  Our partners, the company hosting, was going to cover our hotel even on the extended days and my work was going to cover airfare and all our dining.  It was going to be amazing and incredibly cheap personally since all we would be spending money on would be souvenirs and excessive alcohol.  We were both going to turn 40 in Tokyo.  ANNNND NOWWWW.......I got to figure out how to get credit for the ticket I bought and was going to expense AND figure out how to somehow recoup my MileagePlus miles I used for my wife's ticket.  I'll probably end up getting screwed.  <thumbs up emoji>  

My company just announced they are cancelling their annual sales achievement benefit. Anyone who hit their numbers got an all expensive paid trip to a 5 star location. And instead of doing the right thing which would be to just provide these people with a monetary value worth the trip they just said “sorry it’s cancelled”. So everyone who worked their ass off to make the company a ton of money and were the top performers across the world were basically told “sorry” the rumors going around is this was a cost cutting measure disguised by the outbreak rumors. And it’s hard to argue this when they made the decision to not replace the reward with a monetary replacement.
  • cdrive said:
    And to make this all better cdrive and I get to deal with contaminated water from a broken water main in our, the 4th largest city in the US. Went to the grocery store today and people are going insane. 
    cdrive
    Hatorian said:

cdrive said:

My company just announced they are cancelling their annual sales achievement benefit. Anyone who hit their numbers got an all expensive paid trip to a 5 star location. And instead of doing the right thing which would be to just provide these people with a monetary value worth the trip they just said “sorry it’s cancelled”. So everyone who worked their ass off to make the company a ton of money and were the top performers across the world were basically told “sorry” the rumors going around is this was a cost cutting measure disguised by the outbreak rumors. And it’s hard to argue this when they made the decision to not replace the reward with a monetary replacement.

If I could have a superpower, it would be to bully/torture executives and I would use it in these cases. 
    ElisaHatorian
    edited February 2020
    fidoz said:
    cdrive said:
    And to make this all better cdrive and I get to deal with contaminated water from a broken water main in our, the 4th largest city in the US. Went to the grocery store today and people are going insane. 
    It's crazy.  The whole city has to boil water if they even have it which half don't.   Luckily because of Coronavirus I had 3 cases of water ready to go.  My older kid's elem school emailed us yesterday saying everyone come get your kids because they had no water, can't flush toilets or wash hands....     Man Houston is so good at flooding it doesn't even need to rain. smh

edit: OH AND also all of H.I.S.D. is closed today so the boys are at home.  Luckily my wife usually works from home on Friday but I'm sure it isn't optimal working conditions with the crazy boys screaming at the TV over some new Pokemon movie they found.  
    JaimieTFreddy
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited February 2020
    JaimieT said:
    Hatorian said:

cdrive said:

If I could have a superpower, it would be to bully/torture executives and I would use it in these cases. 
    I already know that this has started some of the best employees I’m the company to update their resume and start looking. They will not get away with this and the sad thing is these people are their best employees. The absolute last people you want to leave...they will end up paying for this mistake, It’s a slap in the face and it’s not going to go unpunished. I’m just surprised senior leadership doesn’t have the brains to see this.
    JaimieT
    Hatorian said:

cdrive said:

That......is some mutherfuckin BULLSHIT!  I'd be so pissed.  Just give them the money!!!!!!!!
    Hatorian
  • I’m pretty senior but not senior enough to where my voice was heard. I raised the issue Immediately to my superiors and all I got was a shrug
  • cdrive said:
    fidoz said:
    cdrive said:
    It's crazy.  The whole city has to boil water if they even have it which half don't.   Luckily because of Coronavirus I had 3 cases of water ready to go.  My older kid's elem school emailed us yesterday saying everyone come get your kids because they had no water, can't flush toilets or wash hands....     Man Houston is so good at flooding it doesn't even need to rain. smh

edit: OH AND also all of H.I.S.D. is closed today so the boys are at home.  Luckily my wife usually works from home on Friday but I'm sure it isn't optimal working conditions with the crazy boys screaming at the TV over some new Pokemon movie they found.  
    Yep. My tap water has tasted like shit since Harvey so I always keep several cases of bottled water on hand. 
    Didn't think to turn off the ice maker in the fridge.  Should probably turn it off, throw all that ice out, and get a bag of ice tonight.  Holy shit watch there be a run on ice...
    I would anticipate anytime there's a supply crisis, Singapore would get hit much harder, @Hatorian. The only thing I've heard of us being out of, in the US, is the face masks (which I haven't verified). But that makes sense to me, because we're not manufacturing/importing face masks for this scale. I guess time will tell with everything else. I'm still of the opinion that this is so overblown. The stock market was looking for a correction, and I think so was the news media.  :D
    Hatorian
  • JaimieT said:
    I would anticipate anytime there's a supply crisis, Singapore would get hit much harder, @Hatorian. The only thing I've heard of us being out of, in the US, is the face masks (which I haven't verified). But that makes sense to me, because we're not manufacturing/importing face masks for this scale. I guess time will tell with everything else. I'm still of the opinion that this is so overblown. The stock market was looking for a correction, and I think so was the news media.  :D
    Luckily I’m a prepper and I actually posted a “joke” on Facebook about my paranoia like 3 months ago and all my friends were like “historian you’re crazy, you love I’m a first world country, what could possibly happen to you”

now I’m the one laughing as I sit on enough prep for an entire month. Singapore imports EVERYTHING as an island nation.:yes they are a well prepared government but since were not citizens were definitely low on a priority list of the government does start to enact rationing or other measures. Even my wife was giving me shit about prepping and now she’s like you’re the best husband ever and always thinking 2 steps ahead of others. 
    JaimieT
    Hatorian said:
    JaimieT said:
    Luckily I’m a prepper and I actually posted a “joke” on Facebook about my paranoia like 3 months ago and all my friends were like “historian you’re crazy, you love I’m a first world country, what could possibly happen to you”

now I’m the one laughing as I sit on enough prep for an entire month. Singapore imports EVERYTHING as an island nation.:yes they are a well prepared government but since were not citizens were definitely low on a priority list of the government does start to enact rationing or other measures. Even my wife was giving me shit about prepping and now she’s like you’re the best husband ever and always thinking 2 steps ahead of others. 

Yeah, worst case scenario, I know I can walk down to the property my family owns in south GA and live off of the land (though I would totally commit suicide on the first month, let's be honest). Singapore!? Ya'll are stacked on top of each other and there's nothing! Best of luck.  :D
    Hatorian
  • The weird thing was I was never a big prepper but one day I just had a bad feeling and my gut said get prepared. Maybe it was the Iran/US news but I just had this nagging feeling that bad shit was gonna go down and I spent a few weeks ordering all sorts of shit. 
    JaimieT
    God, can you imagine if this thing had a 10% or 20% death rate? Or 50%? Then I'd feel more dread. Ugh, that would be miserable, the waiting. 
    Hatorian
  • JaimieT said:
    Hatorian said:
    JaimieT said:

Yeah, worst case scenario, I know I can walk down to the property my family owns in south GA and live off of the land (though I would totally commit suicide on the first month, let's be honest). Singapore!? Ya'll are stacked on top of each other and there's nothing! Best of luck.  :D
    Thanks and yea. 6 million people living on an island 100x smaller than New York. I’m extremely anti-gun and you can’t own one anyways so I actually bought and started to learn how to use a composite bow and arrow. Not the best defense In the world but better than nothing.
    cdriveFreddy
    Hatorian said:

Thanks and yea. 6 million people living on an island 100x smaller than New York. I’m extremely anti-gun and you can’t own one anyways so I actually bought and started to learn how to use a composite bow and arrow. Not the best defense In the world but better than nothing.
    Hahah that's awesome.  Same here with no guns, but I do bow hunt...so if it comes down to societal breakdown I'm gonna have to rely on my 24 yard shot!  :D
    Hatorian
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    JaimieT said:
    In Australia it’s hand sanitiser - loads of places completely sold out. 
    JaimieT
    edited February 2020
    Face masks gloves and hand sanitizer is out. Just tried 2 places.  

No face masks at all on Amazon.

JaimieT
  • cdrive said:

Lol nothing more modern than wanting to buy a mask to make sure you don't get sick, but only if you don't have to leave the comfort of your home lol. 
    cdriveJaimieT
    asmallcat said:
    cdrive said:

Lol nothing more modern than wanting to buy a mask to make sure you don't get sick, but only if you don't have to leave the comfort of your home lol. 
    Well I mean.....I DID go out and look at a CVS and an HEB.  But yes I'll admit it was after I saw Amazon was completely wiped out yesterday.  
    asmallcat
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    edited February 2020
    JaimieT said:
    God, can you imagine if this thing had a 10% or 20% death rate? Or 50%? Then I'd feel more dread. Ugh, that would be miserable, the waiting. 

From what I understand that actually makes the virus not spread, the people who get it die too fast before they can pass on the virus. That's why ebola and bird flu hasn't wiped out the world. This one seems like the sweet spot of very contagious but mild enough symptoms that take quite a while to show (if at all). 

I need to go buy a dust mask at the hardware store to do some drywall sanding this weekend, hopefully you guys haven't bought them all yet...  :)

edit  --  nm, you guys did take them all. I blame all of you for my eventual silicosis and lung cancer...

• MrXMrX CO
    edited February 2020
    redlancer said:
    JaimieT said:

From what I understand that actually makes the virus not spread, the people who get it die too fast before they can pass on the virus. That's why ebola and bird flu hasn't wiped out the world. This one seems like the sweet spot of very contagious but mild enough symptoms that take quite a while to show (if at all). 

I need to go buy a dust mask at the hardware store to do some drywall sanding this weekend, hopefully you guys haven't bought them all yet...  :)

edit  --  nm, you guys did take them all. I blame all of you for my eventual silicosis and lung cancer...

At least for now the mortality rate is being reported as about 2%, which is the same as the 1918 flu. And also the departure on The Leftovers ...

Edit: although of course on the leftovers it was 2% of everybody. This is 2% of those that get it which is much less than everybody.