Coronavirus / COVID-19

Comments

• NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Chinaski said:
    i got fam in Corpus, McAllen, Brownsville and Pasadena. i have a few cousins that went to Texas A&M Kingsville.
    Well, at least it’s not the College Station campus. But still...Aggies are a no-go.
    Chinaski
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Noel said:
    Chinaski said:
    i got fam in Corpus, McAllen, Brownsville and Pasadena. i have a few cousins that went to Texas A&M Kingsville.
    Well, at least it’s not the College Station campus. But still...Aggies are a no-go.
    who's your college team? tbh i know Texas teams, but tend to not know or forget where they are located in your big ass state sometimes. hell, i had no idea SMU was in Dallas till i went there 2 years ago and stayed across the street from the campus.
    Noel
  • I've been on pretty solid footing for the last 2 and half months but tonight I feel like it's finally caught up to me and I'm losing my mind. As crazy as it sounds, the light at the end of the tunnel of the pandemic is somehow making me feel even more antsy. 
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    edited May 2020
    Chinaski said:
    Noel said:
    Chinaski said:
    who's your college team? tbh i know Texas teams, but tend to not know or forget where they are located in your big ass state sometimes. hell, i had no idea SMU was in Dallas till i went there 2 years ago and stayed across the street from the campus.
    That’s because a lot of Dallas doesn’t brag/claim SMU. If you support SMU, it’s because you went there. It’s a snobby ass school and the main campus literally isn’t in Dallas. Highland Park and University Park are separate from Dallas, even though they’re inside the city. Man, don’t let me get on a Dallas rant!  :D

Anyways, I don’t have a college football team. I went to UTA and our football team was disbanded back in the 80s. I watch the games with my friends, but it’s just to talk shit and “root for” the team going against their school. I have friends all over the Big 12. Mostly UT, UNT, Tech and Baylor though. Also, the Cowboys dwarf any NCAA talk around here. It’s not even close.
    Chinaski
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited May 2020
    Anyways, I don’t have a college football team. I went to UTA and our football team was disbanded back in the 80s. I watch the games with my friends, but it’s just to talk shit and “root for” the team going against their school. I have friends all over the Big 12. Mostly UT, UNT, Tech and Baylor though. Also, the Cowboys dwarf any NCAA talk around here. It’s not even close.

Noel
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I've been on pretty solid footing for the last 2 and half months but tonight I feel like it's finally caught up to me and I'm losing my mind. As crazy as it sounds, the light at the end of the tunnel of the pandemic is somehow making me feel even more antsy. 

Yes, because why hope when you can't trust it? Certainty has been exposed as an illusion. (My guess)
    Update about Covid-19 unemployment benefits.

It took 6 weeks of headache, but my unemployment payments started coming. And it is... A LOT of money. Stay home, fuck yeah I'll stay home, I'll do anything you want rn.

It's $800/week before taxes. Which is more than many people make working FT. So of course now some employers are complaining about the "issue" of workers having choices. There's a lot of positives that will come out of this eventually, IMO. 
    MrXJoshTheBlackHatorianCecily
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    Damn that’s more than I make and we’re still working in office, clearly I need to negotiate a raise. 
    JaimieT
  • Here is an article on Japan's low cases. As usual editors put crap headline but the article itself is good. It poses more questions than it answers but they are interesting questions to look into.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-05-22/did-japan-just-beat-the-virus-without-lockdowns-or-mass-testing?

• I've been on pretty solid footing for the last 2 and half months but tonight I feel like it's finally caught up to me and I'm losing my mind. As crazy as it sounds, the light at the end of the tunnel of the pandemic is somehow making me feel even more antsy. 
    It's weird how it hits you sometimes. I think the uncertainty is the toughest part, but like Jaimie said, it really was an illusion. I suppose I always knew that anyway, but it's a lot more real and unavoidable right now. I'm doing OK most of the time, but sometimes it'll sneak up on me.

Yeah @JaimieT, I finally got some retroactive benefits paid to me this week too! It took nine weeks of absolutely nothing coming in, then a sudden chunk of money that really helps. If it hadn't been for the extra PUA $600 payments though, mine would have been less than $1000 for 9 weeks! I've been through a crazy thing because I live in Florida but work remotely for a NC company (part-time regular employee). My company started in Florida originally like 20 years ago, moved to NC permanently, then just a year or two ago, opened a second office in FL although I don't work in that office. When I tried to file for FL unemployment, the only records they had of my company when I put in the tax ID number was their super old original FL address from like 15 years ago. I couldn't get around it manually or anything and wasn't able to complete my application. So I went to the NC unemployment site's FAQ and it said that if you work remotely for a NC company, you can file there, so I did. After 7 weeks of nothing happening, I finally got in touch with someone there who told me that I needed to file in FL instead. Back to square one! FL redesigned their disaster of a website after my initial attempt, so I was able to start a new claim and the section I had trouble with before was different this time, but I've heard nothing back. Then I suddenly started getting NC payments at the beginning of this week. But oddly enough, NC still has me as "ineligible" under regular unemployment benefits, and instead they have me under the ones that pay subcontractors and freelancers, even though I was not that. Aside from the extra $600 PUA payment, that's probably paying me less than it should, so I'm going to again send them copies of my paystubs and W2s (again) to see if I can get that fixed. But even if they don't, I'm just glad to be getting something for now. And NC still is waiving the job search requirements, which is good because I have had health issues that I think make me higher risk for complications if I get COVID-19. Last I heard FL will be requiring work search reports again by the end of the month, so I'm glad I'm under NC's system for now. It has been a slow and confusing ride, but I'm really glad to be getting some help finally!

JaimieTGiovanniCecily
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Damn! When I left the US I should have never done the ethically and morally right thing of submitting tax returns each year. I should have just not submitted or submitted $0 return as there would be no way for the IRS to know. Not only would this have saved me $500 a year on an international tax accountant but I would also have gotten the stimulus checks and maybe even could have gotten unemployment. 
  • Hatorian said:
    Damn! When I left the US I should have never done the ethically and morally right thing of submitting tax returns each year. I should have just not submitted or submitted $0 return as there would be no way for the IRS to know. Not only would this have saved me $500 a year on an international tax accountant but I would also have gotten the stimulus checks and maybe even could have gotten unemployment. 
    The stimulus check situation was so messed up anyway. I've heard lots of people struggled to get one while they were out of work, but my wife and I are both still working, combined make a very comfortable living (I don't want to be braggy so I'll just say she makes too much to qualify for any of the stimulus, and I was close to the cutoff), but because the IRS had our account information, because we have a kid, and because I was still technically under the individual earnings to get the check, we still got a little over $1200, and incredibly quickly, which yeah, it's nice, but  wish they'd have had some way to prioritize to people who needed it more got it first. 
    Hatorian
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    asmallcat said:
    Hatorian said:
    The stimulus check situation was so messed up anyway. I've heard lots of people struggled to get one while they were out of work, but my wife and I are both still working, combined make a very comfortable living (I don't want to be braggy so I'll just say she makes too much to qualify for any of the stimulus, and I was close to the cutoff), but because the IRS had our account information, because we have a kid, and because I was still technically under the individual earnings to get the check, we still got a little over $1200, and incredibly quickly, which yeah, it's nice, but  wish they'd have had some way to prioritize to people who needed it more got it first. 
    agree. i am a permanent resident, basically the equivalent of a green card holder, in the country im in. and they are providing stimulus for both citizens and permanent residents. And everyone here asks me if i got the stimulus and im like i really hope not. i mean im not a millionaire but im also not struggling. luckily i think they are doing it like the US in terms of your submitted earnings as i didnt see anything from the government here in my bank account. if i did i would have donated it to one of the charities here helping people who actually need it. 
    Flukes
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Catch up on @Michelle and @Evan - how are you guys doing? Are you still in iso, Michelle?
    Michelle
  • Dee said:
    Catch up on @Michelle and @Evan - how are you guys doing? Are you still in iso, Michelle?
    Michelle is probably currently doing 5-10 for roommate related crimes.

DeeTeresa from ConcordFreddyNoelMichelleasmallcatcdriveFlukes
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    The wife and I tested negative for antibodies. I don't know what I had back in January but I sure was hoping it was the Vid. 
    Michelle
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited May 2020
    CapeGabe said:
    Dee said:
    Michelle is probably currently doing 5-10 for roommate related crimes.
    Very nearly!  :sweat_smile:
    Nah, I'm doing ok.  Quarantine's over.  Just staying far away and dreaming of my own home.
    Thanks @Dee :)
    DeeNoelKela15
  • Hatorian said:if i did i would have donated it to one of the charities here helping people who actually need it. 
    All I'll say is that I definitely did NOT use a decent chunk of it to buy a new motherboard, processor, and ram. No sir. I did the responsible thing and used it all on my student loans. I will not be taking any questions at this time. 
    DoubleA_RonMichelleDeecdriveFlukes
  • Marci said:
    Antibody tests are not turning out to be reliable at all (wrong about half the time, according to the CDC):

Yeah, I never understood the people on the antibody bandwagon from the beginning. Until the disease is studied for at least a year or most likely years will there be enough data to determine where the line is for minimum amount of antibodies needed to protect from the disease and how long antibodies are good to protect you.

Until then even the most educated scientist is just guessing.

Marci
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I really miss when we had a politics thread. 
    fidozvik83hbizmarkiefaderMrXLordByasmallcatFlukes
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Dee said:
    I really miss when we had a politics thread. 
    I miss it so so much. Even as mostly a lurker, I loved it.
    Deevik83hjohnnytruantMrX
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    100% agree. I haven’t crossed over to the other casts and probably won’t. 
    edited May 2020
    https://preorder.cambridgemask.com/

I really like this UK company's masks. They are out of their fancy ones, but the plain one works just as well, and is sized to your face. I bought this last year for allergies and lucked out with it in this situation. It does have a filter on it (and you can buy a neck strap add-on -- recommend!).

Anyway, I noticed their preorder ships in August currently, which isn't that bad. So if anyone is interested, there's your link. Gonna be about $50.

FTR I'm more like:

That research/prep impulse  ;)
    MarciFlukes
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited May 2020
    The antibody tests are not wrong half the time.  They're wrong a very small percentage of the time, but in areas with little COVID that's enough to make testing unreliable. 

Say a test is 98% specific, that is it results negative correctly 98% of the time, but 2% of the time is positive in someone who doesn’t have antibody. 

Furthermore some of these tests being used appear to be around 90% sensitive currently, which means 90% of the time they pick up the people with antibodies and 10% of the time they miss it. 

Let's say you use your test in an area with 2% COVID antibodies in the population.  

So therefore out of 1000 people 20 actually have COVID antibodies.  How does your test do?

Your sensitivity is 90%, so you detect 18 real positives.  You miss 2, so you have 2 false negatives.

Your test is 98% specific.  So you have 980 people without COVID antibodies, so (98% * 980 people without COVID) is 960 negative tests.  So 20 real negatives test false positive. 

So your totals for this population are:

You have a total of 38 positives.
    You have a total of 962 negatives.

Before you adjust for the test, it looks like your prevalence of disease is 3.8%.

However, the positive predictive value of a positive test is less than 50%.  Only 18/38 positives truly have COVID antibodies - that's 47%.  This is what they mean when the test can be wrong half the time.  So if you test positive in this situation, it's slightly worse than a coinflip as to whether you actually have antibody.

What about a negative?  You have 2 false negatives and 960 real negatives.  So if you have a negative test, you chances of being a true negative are (960 / 962) or 99.7%.  So there is a 0.3% chance you tested negative but had antibodies. 

So I think we can be pretty confident that @fidoz is actually negative.

What happens with the same test in a high prevalence situation:

If 20% have COVID antibodies out of 1000 people 

200 positives.  Your test misses 20 of them and 180 are true positives. (200*0.9 sensitivity)

There are 800 negatives, and with your test 784 test negative (800 * 0.98 specific).  So you have 16 false positives. 

So you have 196 total positives.  If you test positive, what does it mean for whether you have the antibodies?

So now there's a 180/196=  91% chance you really do have COVID antibodies, when using the same test as before.  

And for the negatives there are 804 total negatives (784 + 20 false negatives).  So the chances of a negative being real in this case is 
    784/804= 97.5% chance.

Note how you'd like your test to be more sensitive and not miss any real positives, because the false negatives are becoming more significant as the number of real negatives drops.  

Marci said:
    Antibody tests are not turning out to be reliable at all (wrong about half the time, according to the CDC):

JaimieTNoelFreddyasmallcatMarciMichelleLordByFlukes
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Just popping in with my sporadic 'our president is a fucking idiot' comment.
    This can apply to any action he takes in any random day, but the fact that now we're leaving the WHO in the middle of a pandemic is just beyond incomprehensible.  :angry:
    DeeNoelGiovannicalebthrowerChristianMarci
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    Honestly it’s the dumbest possible decision regardless of the reasoning, if you really think that the WHO is fucked and essentially an extension of Chinese State Media, then removing yourself from a position where you could regulate it, thereby allowing China to just do whatever the fuck they want with it is extremely counterproductive. 
  • CecilyCecily Cincinnati
    JaimieT said:

It took 6 weeks of headache, but my unemployment payments started coming. And it is... A LOT of money. Stay home, fuck yeah I'll stay home, I'll do anything you want rn.

It's $800/week before taxes. Which is more than many people make working FT. So of course now some employers are complaining about the "issue" of workers having choices. There's a lot of positives that will come out of this eventually, IMO. 
    Same, I'm making more money playing Animal Crossing and Skyrim at home than I would be working.  And I'm not even getting as much in benefits as you are.  I am however dealing with a lot of unemployment guilt, the classic symptom of connecting my personal worth to how many billable hours I can offer.
    FreddyJaimieT
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Cecily said:
    JaimieT said:

Same, I'm making more money playing Animal Crossing and Skyrim at home than I would be working.  And I'm not even getting as much in benefits as you are.  I am however dealing with a lot of unemployment guilt, the classic symptom of connecting my personal worth to how many billable hours I can offer.
    Gold, Bells, and USD!? Got that triple dip guilt.
    Cecily
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    The last 2 days in Houston. New cases = 1100 on Monday and 807 new cases on Tuesday.