Coronavirus / COVID-19

Comments

• MichaelGMichaelG Seattle
    edited March 2020
    Thanks - today I’m trying not to read too much and make myself more anxious then necessary. 

The first case (Jan 19) was diagnosed in my town (Everett, WA). That person was released after 2 weeks of iso. The recent outbreak about 25 miles south east of us has been linked to that specific case via its gene sequence, which means it has been spreading quietly via communities for about 6 weeks now. Most likely, he infected someone that went unnoticed before he was admitted (probably bc they had very mild symptoms), and that person began what has now turned into an outbreak. We all expect increased testing to reveal hundreds of cases in the area over the next few days, we’ll see. 

Trevor Bedford (@trvrb)on Twitter has been doing amazing research on this case out here. He’s a UW researcher trying to get a handle on this thing. 

https://www.heraldnet.com/news/snohomish-county-was-states-ground-zero-analysis-suggests/

I also continue to appreciate Dr. Jake Glanville (the researcher on Netflix's Pandemic) and his work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksnf3oTsTY8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HX5dIpT4Gs

This stuff is actually fascinating, I just wish I wasn't in the middle of it.  
    Elisa
  • Two upcoming European trips cancelled for my college junior son.  The one to Prague next week I think was a bit knee-jerk.  Now he can just wait and catch it here.
    MichaelGrustywright4
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    My employer just cancelled all non-essential air travel for colleagues worldwide (three days after I returned from India). In order to travel by air you have to get approval from a VP.

They've also cancelled the annual Sales and Operations conference in San Diego later this month and pulled out of the biggest industry trade show of the year. Knowing how big of a deal these events are for the business, these decisions have brought COVID-19 into sharp focus for me.
    cdrive
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Australians have decided to go the route of the stupid and panic buy toilet paper for... reasons? Then of course others saw photos of it on social media and monkey see, monkey do. Now loads of places are cleaned out and people can’t get toilet paper in their regular weekly/fortnightly shopping. 

But when I talk to people about how important it is to wash their hands and try not to touch things in public spaces unnecessarily, they wave me off. 

Idiots. 
    JaimieTcdrivehisdudeness915Elisa
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited March 2020
    Flukes said:
    My employer just cancelled all non-essential air travel for colleagues worldwide (three days after I returned from India). In order to travel by air you have to get approval from a VP.

They've also cancelled the annual Sales and Operations conference in San Diego later this month and pulled out of the biggest industry trade show of the year. Knowing how big of a deal these events are for the business, these decisions have brought COVID-19 into sharp focus for me.
    Similarly I mentioned earlier I had a partner’s private showing / sales conference cancelled in Tokyo in April. I figured I would have to fight with United Airlines to recoup my airfare cost and mileage points I used for my wife.  THEN United Airlines cancelled all flights from IAH (me), JFK & LAX to Tokyo, China, Italy and a few others from now until the end of April. That to me is just wild. I will probably still have to fight with United but I would think this would better my chances of getting money/points back.

Facebook, Intel, and Twitter all pulled their people from South By Southwest (SXSW), the big annual music/film/tech conference in Austin. It might actually get shut down. There is a big petition going around and SXSW said they will do what the city wants.

Next on the horizon for me personally...I honestly see the MS150 ride getting cancelled and the Offshore Technology Conference (OTC) getting cancelled. These are huge events. OTC is one of the largest international tradeshows.  I just don’t see them happening in early May when this thing is going to spread between now and then. 

• Dee said:
    Australians have decided to go the route of the stupid and panic buy toilet paper for... reasons? Then of course others saw photos of it on social media and monkey see, monkey do. Now loads of places are cleaned out and people can’t get toilet paper in their regular weekly/fortnightly shopping. 

But when I talk to people about how important it is to wash their hands and try not to touch things in public spaces unnecessarily, they wave me off. 

Idiots. 

If it makes you feel any better Americans wait until they see pictures of other countries panicking to panic. 

So thanks to Australia my normal shopping ended with me getting the last package of toilet paper.

DeeElisa
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @CapeGabe I told my daughter three times to just pick up a couple of packs in case we really can’t get any for a few weeks due to idiots panic buying and she waved me off. She better not think she’s raiding my stash - she’s coming for dinner tonight and I’m counting my rolls before and after. 
    hisdudeness915awookieeFlukesCapeGabeElisa
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    All that toilet paper and she STILL touches the door handle with her hand. Will people never learn.
    DeeHatorianhisdudeness915ElisaMichelle
  • She only needed one square....
    ElisaMichelle
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    @cdrive First Houston area case today in Fort Bend.
    cdrive
    fidoz said:
    There is no fucking way I'm going to the rodeo carnival this year.
    MichaelG
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited March 2020
    My employer sent out an email yesterday, but (stupidly) did not say we were allowed to work from home. They said we could work from home only if we were sick, when we know this virus is contagious before the symptoms show.

So, I walk into my office today, and it's weird thinking a few of these people will probably die. That's an expense the company is willing to pay; put it in the ledger. As for the people who will die, they just assume they won't die, it'll be someone else, and they slouch at their cubicles and dither over lunch like normal, and none of this is outrageous. Modernity is fascinating.
    MichaelG
  • UnderwoodUnderwood Philadelphia, PA
    Why do you think a few of the people you work with will die? Do you work in a office with hundreds of people, who are mainly older? I'm not asking that sarcastically either, genuinely curious about why you think that. 
    edited March 2020
    Hi - my name is Michael and I’m at the heart of all this thing, AMA!

First school district closed for 2 weeks today, taking shit seriously. I work in a public library, and our county just declared a state of emergency, so we’ll see how that goes.

UW about to start running upwards of 1000 tests a day now, so you’re going to see a spike in confirmed cases. Not necessarily spreading faster, just measuring what’s already there.

If you have a confirmed “isolated” case in your town, assume it’s not, honestly. That’s what happened to us 6 weeks ago, and shit just now popped. Assume it’s there, take precautions now. Don’t panic, just wash your hands, don’t touch your face, and don’t go to work if your sick or crowded places if you can avoid it. 
    ElisaJaimieT
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited March 2020
    Underwood said:
    Why do you think a few of the people you work with will die? Do you work in a office with hundreds of people, who are mainly older? I'm not asking that sarcastically either, genuinely curious about why you think that. 

Yes.

Also two confirmed cases in my county, and everyone in my company travels internationally. So we're just stewing in Coronavirus over here.
    MichaelGUnderwood
  • Can you buy purell on the black market or some dark web Silk Road establishment because Fuck if I can find it  anywhere.
  • @adobo1148 hand washing is more effective, just get soap. Also, you can make your own hand sanitizer pretty easily with alcohol (or vodka) and a gel like aloe, both are easier to find right now. 

Personally I’m just militantly not touching my face and washing my hands a shit ton. 
    Elisa
  • Consciously keep track of how much you touch your face in an hour. The number might surprise you. 
  • I am a compulsive face-toucher. Short of buying a cone of shame for myself, I'm not stopping. So just obsessively washing my hands whenever I leave my house instead. 

Also real glad we bought those bulk-sized purells several weeks ago for post-diaper change reasons. 
    MichaelG
    edited March 2020
    Don't underestimate the power of just wearing any kind of glove too - I've read that's more effective than a mask.  One, adds a barrier for stuff getting on your hands obviously, but also reminds you to not touch your face. 
    Hatorian
  • CapeGabe said:
    Consciously keep track of how much you touch your face in an hour. The number might surprise you. 
    I started counting this morning - it got ridiculous quick, so I quit before lunch.

Will try again tomorrow.
    CapeGabe
  • Literally touching my face while I read this thread. I am 100% getting this virus. 
    CapeGabe
    fidoz said:
    @fidoz

• MichelleMichelle California
    I've been washing my hands and sanitizing a lot more than normal.  I'm also a face-toucher, which I hadn't really paid attention to until I read @CapeGabe's comment.  So, I'm trying to be conscious of that and avoid it.  

Am I the only one finding myself at a business and wondering how often they sanitize their own hands, their counter, and their credit/debit card machine and pinpad?  So many hands and fingers are on them every day and I've been to some businesses recently where it's clear they haven't cleaned them in a long time.  Another reason why I'm glad I'm keeping hand sanitizer in my purse.
    CapeGabeMichaelG
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Michelle said:

Am I the only one finding myself at a business and wondering how often they sanitize their own hands, their counter, and their credit/debit card machine and pinpad?  So many hands and fingers are on them every day and I've been to some businesses recently where it's clear they haven't cleaned them in a long time.  Another reason why I'm glad I'm keeping hand sanitizer in my purse.
    Welcome to my life - I think about these kinds of things alllll the time. I keep hand sanitiser in my bag and in my shopping trolley for when I have to touch ATMs or handle a bag someone has handed to me or touch an escalator railing. People are disgusting! 

Having said that, I have two teeny bottles of sanitiser left and can’t find anymore anywhere now. :-/ 
    Dee said:
    Michelle said:

Welcome to my life - I think about these kinds of things alllll the time. I keep hand sanitiser in my bag and in my shopping trolley for when I have to touch ATMs or handle a bag someone has handed to me or touch an escalator railing. People are disgusting! 

Having said that, I have two teeny bottles of sanitiser left and can’t find anymore anywhere now. :-/ 
    @MichaelG mentioned earlier that you can pretty much make your own using aloe vera gel and an alcohol such as vodka.  I would think regular rubbing alcohol would also work for that, if you want to drink the vodka instead. :grin:
    Dee
    Nah you gotta use Everclear.  People have already wised-up on the rubbing alcohol cause it’s wiped out every where.  But yeah it needs to be more than 60% alcohol to be hand sanitizer. So it’s 1 part aloe gel to 2 parts alcohol.  
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I have that alcohol spray you get from chemists - would that do?
    cdrive said:
    Nah you gotta use Everclear.  People have already wised-up on the rubbing alcohol cause it’s wiped out every where.  But yeah it needs to be more than 60% alcohol to be hand sanitizer. So it’s 1 part aloe gel to 2 parts alcohol.  
    I just picked up a bottle of 70% at CVS.  Evvvvvvverywhere around here is wiped out of hand sanitizer. :astonished:
    cdrive