Coronavirus / COVID-19

Comments

• edited June 2020

Face coverings will be required in all Tarrant County businesses, the county judge announced Thursday, mirroring measures taken across the state amid a "massive" spike in COVID-19 infections.

Tarrant County Judge Glen Whitley said the countywide executive order will go into effect at 6 p.m. Friday. The order will be in effect through 6 a.m. Aug. 3 and also applies to outdoor gatherings of 100 people or more.

"Please, for the love of God, put on a mask," Burleson Mayor Ken Shetter said at the news conference announcing the measure, noting concerns about testing capacity. "This is the right next step to take," Fort Worth Mayor Betsy Price said while self-quarantined at home. Price has been in self-isolation after being in contact with someone who had tested positive for coronavirus. In response to a question from @BenRussellNBC5 on enforcement, @judge_whitley says their goal is not to write citations or arrest anyone.

Specifically for businesses
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco

We are actually worse than anything they could come up with for those joke parks and rec town halls.

MarciNoel
  • On Wednesday, Florida had an all-time high in new cases at 5,511. Just 2 days later, we have 8,942 new cases. Orange County saw the biggest jump yet at 1,062 cases.
    This is from Seattle:

We are going to have so much senseless death and permanent damage to peoples bodies because people can't accept even the tiniest measures to keep other people safe.
    Marci
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    LOL, the epitome of wanting everyone else to act a certain way so you feel validated, instead of just doing your own thing. 
  • Wow. It's just astonishing to me that people still refuse to do such a simple thing like wearing a mask.
    JaimieTbizmarkiefaderNoelGiovanni
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited June 2020
    That the anti-mask crowd gets so unreasonably angry at people using their free will to choose to wear masks encapsulates the absurdity of their increasingly stupid position. If you really think masks are pointless then who gives a shit if other people wear them?
    MarciweeniegirlNoelCory
  • And now Texas is closing shit down again. Good job idiot republicans. Even adjusting the WW2 timeline for the time the US was actually in the war (1365 days), that's about 300 deaths a day from WW2 for the US. COVID is at 775 a day. 
    Hatorian
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    This had me in stitches:

Also I just came back from a haircut.  I saw my stylist was available and realized it would probably be my last chance to get mah hurrz did in a while.
    MarciHatorian
  • Apparently radiation levels in Northern Europe are on the rise and the first indications are damage to a Russian nuclear power plant. Looks like we got your July “how do we top last month” issue...
    cdrivetom_g
    This is so frustrating, the more science that comes out around how effective masks are the more apparent it becomes we could have dramatically curbed this if we weren't a nation of the whiniest fucking babies imaginable

DeeMarciNoelGiovanniBourbonQueen
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited June 2020
    @bizmarkiefader Australia hasn’t been that big on mask wearing (though we’ve had a surge of new cases in Victoria so that state might start pushing it), but we also shut down almost completely pretty early on to flatten the curve. And even though most things have opened back up there are still social distancing rules in place and the borders are still ostensibly closed (anyone coming in to the country and to some states has to quarantine in a hotel for 14 days). 

We’ve had about 7700 cases and 104 deaths so far. I know we have one tenth of America’s population, but we have a hell of a lot less than one tenth of their cases/deaths. Trump has a massive chunk of 128,000 deaths on his hands. 
    bizmarkiefaderMarciNoelBen
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    Marci said:
    No photo description available
    Why doesn't this graph include deaths from the 1918 Spanish Flu?  

It seems weird it wasn't included. 
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Our first new case in 3 weeks...
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    yesterday was Houston's first 5000 new cases since the 5000 the day before yesterday.
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited June 2020
    Well you have to remember that the public health officials also downplayed those eccentric Asians who liked to mask up at the drop of a hat.  

Remember kids, masks don't help unless you're sick!

Oh what's that, you only said that so we didn't run out of masks and you didn't think it made much difference?  And actually when we actually pay attention to those crazy mask wearers, seems like it works?  DOH! 

• Florida broke the 10K new cases barrier yesterday. DeSantis is still saying won't go back on reopening. Disney World is still scheduled to reopen next week. So... yeah...
  • BourbonQueenBourbonQueen Dallas, TX
    edited July 2020
    Hey, y’all. DFW here. Texas is a sinkhole of zero leadership (outside of Jenkins in Dallas County) and the anti-science troop are going around like nothing. 

I honestly don’t understand how or why gyms are open. There are people I know in the medical field that are taking group classes in a closed environment

This is like Cabin in the Woods unreal
    NoelMarci
  • I have to fly back to the US tomorrow. Going to be there for 3 weeks or so. Unfortunately it’s not a vacation type trip. I used up most of my miles I’ve been saving for years to upgrade to business class in hopes that the extra space will keep me safer. Luckily I’m going to Chicago and they seem to be one of the states that has started to get things under sontrol. 
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Hey, y’all. DFW here. Texas is a sinkhole of zero leadership (outside of Jenkins in Dallas County) and the anti-science troop are going around like nothing. 

I honestly don’t understand how or why gyms are open. There are people I know in the medical field that are taking group classes in a closed environment

This is like Cabin in the Woods unreal
    I feel like Jenkins is the only reason Dallas hasn’t been a complete shit show. But it still doesn’t feel like enough. Not even gyms, but I’m going down 35 and seeing that strip clubs are open. And clubs in general. People sharing hookahs. What? 
    BourbonQueen
  • BourbonQueenBourbonQueen Dallas, TX
    @Noel agreed. I don’t know why Abbott even bothers with anything bc he immediately contradicts himself and chastises Jenkins for following his EOs. 

What I don’t understand about the anti-mask/my freedom people is do they not know of the pandemic of 1918?  Masks were worn then until it passed. Then no more masks. Why are they thinking THIS is the work of some underground takeover? 
    MarciNoel
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    I mentioned this in the Swizzbold livestream yesterday, but wanted to provide a couple of links, for reference.

There is evidence that SARS-CoV-2 antibodies disappear in as little as 2-3 months in some people, especially those with less severe symptoms.  This Chinese study  showed that antibody levels fell to undetectable levels in 40% of asymptomatic people and 13% of symptomatic people in as little as 8 weeks.  The study had a very small sample size. (37 asymptomatic, 37 symptomatic.)  It also doesn't necessarily translate to a lack of immunity.  We just don't know enough to say.

Here is another study done in Spain.  Here is some easier to understand reporting on it.  They did widespread antibody testing, and found that only 5% of people in the hot spot areas had antibodies.  Of those with antibodies, 14% no longer tested positive for antibodies in the second round of tests carried out weeks later.

I personally think the accuracy of the antibody tests available are bad enough that you can't draw any hard conclusions, and as I understand it, their absence doesn't necessarily mean immunity would be impacted.  This study does corroborate the Chinese study though.  
    Dee
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    The missing science - Specific to Covid - people who have been infected make memory B cells, which can rapidly ramp up antibody production when needed.
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    Also, the proprietor of the family run music shop / music lesson store 2 doors down from my job died yesterday morning of Covid-19.  I've been fortunate to not have been touched by this disease very much so far.  My uncle was diagnosed and recovered almost 2 months ago.  Those are the only two cases in my orbit so far.
    cdrive
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    9500 new cases in California yesterday. new single day record :(
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Here's an account from an ICU nurse in one of the hospitals in my wife's hospital system. They are all like this now if not worse.

https://www.chron.com/local/article/We-re-seeing-the-worst-of-the-worst-Houston-15394649.php?cmpid=trend
    Dee
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Chinaski said:
    9500 new cases in California yesterday. new single day record :(
    And most everyone is trying to reopen.  I feel like quarantining like Bubble Boy.  
    Anyone up for Trivial Pursuit? :confused: