Coronavirus / COVID-19

Comments

• NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    cdrive said:
    Remember that stupid fucking Bike Rally with the Smash Mouth dingle berries?

Turns out that super spreader event has been linked to more than 250,000 covid cases resulting in 12 billion dollars in public health care costs.  

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/sturgis-motorcycle-rally-in-south-dakota-in-august-linked-to-more-than-250000-coronavirus-cases-study-finds-2020-09-08?siteid=yhoof2

My brother’s old boss went to that rally but I don’t think he contracted the virus. He goes every year. It’s wild because usually he’ll hook my brother up with the official rally t-shirt to give to my uncle in Mexico (who is also into motorcycles) but this year my brother said no thanks. Good call on him.
    DeeChinaskicdriveMichelle
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    cdrive said:
    Remember that stupid fucking Bike Rally with the Smash Mouth dingle berries?

Turns out that super spreader event has been linked to more than 250,000 covid cases resulting in 12 billion dollars in public health care costs.  

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/sturgis-motorcycle-rally-in-south-dakota-in-august-linked-to-more-than-250000-coronavirus-cases-study-finds-2020-09-08?siteid=yhoof2

good lord, what a bunch of dipshits!

• Color me shocked that people who like to annoy everyone around them with loud-ass bikes are selfish. 
    GiovanniNoelChinaskihisdudeness915Michelle
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    asmallcat said:
    Color me shocked that people who like to annoy everyone around them with loud-ass bikes are selfish. 
    My favorite part is when they complain about people playing rap music too loud when driving by.
    GiovanniNoelasmallcatcdriveChinaskiMichelle
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited September 2020
    Wasn’t sure at 1st whether to share this in “what’s making my day”, “what’s grinding my gears,” or here but: (tldr shortcut - we’re ok) 

Yesterday my litttlest, ‘O-Bear’, turned 5. On that same day I get a text from my wife that my 8 year old who is remote learning in his 2nd day as a 3rd grader developed a 103.3 fever, sniffles and cough. I talk with my HR about Covid protocol and we conclude I need to go. I was seconds from scanning back a Covid questionnaire for a visit to a customer I’m now not at this morning.  High profile PhD level contact I was given a directive as a sales guy to become his best buddy after selling him a system to his lab a few years ago yada yada complicated work strategy shit.  As we are home yesterday all 4 of us develop some sort of fever. 8 yr old video conferences with his pediatrician and yep it’s required he get tested.

The morning started with me dropping off cupcakes and apple juice along with the 5 year old at pre-k. That’s another complicated Covid story in itself. But we have him going in for the bare essentials pre-k for 3 hours, no after care like normal times.  Before picking him up I’m wrapping presents, all from us cause of Covid he doesn’t get a big Pump It Up 5 yr old Bday party like his brother.  His snack time with cupcakes is at 10. Pick him up at 11:30. I didn’t get the news until right at 10. So I’m like, shit he’s already there. He went in, I saw him temp checked.  

After the 8 year old’s pediatrician told him he needed to get tested, she said there is a last chance appointment in 30 minutes at a TX Children’s Hospital 30 minutes away. I rush everyone in a car and we get there in time. That experience was a whole Covid story in itself. I don’t know how many here with young children have maybe had to have one tested, but be prepared with the upcoming flu and cold season. It’s really really rough to have to sort of gently but forcibly assist two nurses in basically hazmat gear in a hospital drive-thru perform the test on someone as young as 8. 

He was brave, it’s done, and we got a date with ice cream today as a result.  This morning his test came back negative.  I’m not going into work today since I haven’t been fever free for 72hrs but if he had it then we had to assume we all had it and now we can breathe a sigh of relief.  Work is a Covid story in itself. Texting with HR yesterday about who I was around on Tuesday if the test were to potentially come back positive. I voluntarily furloughed Friday so this begins my extended weekend. But yeah. Yesterday was a day for everyone.  Update: I still have to quarantine 14 days despite his negative test result. 
    NoelMarciFreddyChinaskiGiovanniMurderbear
  • cdrive said:
    Wasn’t sure at 1st whether to share this in “what’s making my day”, “what’s grinding my gears,” or here but: (tldr shortcut - we’re ok) 

Yesterday my litttlest, ‘O-Bear’, turned 5. On that same day I get a text from my wife that my 8 year old who is remote learning in his 2nd day as a 3rd grader developed a 103.3 fever, sniffles and cough. I talk with my HR about Covid protocol and we conclude I need to go. I was seconds from scanning back a Covid questionnaire for a visit to a customer I’m now not at this morning.  High profile PhD level contact I was given a directive as a sales guy to become his best buddy after selling him a system to his lab a few years ago yada yada complicated work strategy shit.  As we are home yesterday all 4 of us develop some sort of fever. 8 yr old video conferences with his pediatrician and yep it’s required he get tested.

The morning started with me dropping off cupcakes and apple juice along with the 5 year old at pre-k. That’s another complicated Covid story in itself. But we have him going in for the bare essentials pre-k for 3 hours, no after care like normal times.  Before picking him up I’m wrapping presents, all from us cause of Covid he doesn’t get a big Pump It Up 5 yr old Bday party like his brother.  His snack time with cupcakes is at 10. Pick him up at 11:30. I didn’t get the news until right at 10. So I’m like, shit he’s already there. He went in, I saw him temp checked.  

After the 8 year old’s pediatrician told him he needed to get tested, she said there is a last chance appointment in 30 minutes at a TX Children’s Hospital 30 minutes away. I rush everyone in a car and we get there in time. That experience was a whole Covid story in itself. I don’t know how many here with young children have maybe had to have one tested, but be prepared with the upcoming flu and cold season. It’s really really rough to have to sort of gently but forcibly assist two nurses in basically hazmat gear in a hospital drive-thru perform the test on someone as young as 8. 

He was brave, it’s done, and we got a date with ice cream today as a result.  This morning his test came back negative.  I’m not going into work today since I haven’t been fever free for 72hrs but if he had it then we had to assume we all had it and now we can breath a sigh of relief.  Work is a Covid story in itself. Texting with HR yesterday about who I was around on Tuesday if the test were to potentially come back positive. I voluntarily furloughed Friday so this begins my extended weekend. But yeah. Yesterday was a day for everyone.  Update: I still have to quarantine 14 days despite his negative test result. 
    Man, I can feel the stress in this post.  It translates through the text.  I'm stressed just reading it.  Going through the Covid panic is awful.  Super glad O-Bear's older brother is negative.  Maybe have another date with ice-cream tonight.  And booze.  Hope the long weekend provides some respite.  
    NoelcdriveChinaski
    @JoshTheBlack thanks man. Update: I can go back to work and not have to quarantine if I test negative and am symptom free. Just got back from taking the test and will know in a day or two. Test really lives up to it’s nickname as the brain tickler. Fingers crossed. 
    JoshTheBlackNoelChinaskiMichelle
    dang @cddrive - can't imagine the stress you had to go through. glad things are on the up. take a couple of sighs of relief and enjoy your Texans tonight. you deserve it! sending good vibes your way my dude!
    cdriveMichelleNoel
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited September 2020
    @cdrive thinking of you & your family!  Quarantine sucks but it'll pass quickly. Did you get your results yet? :heart:
    Michelle said:
    @cdrive thinking of you & your family!  Quarantine sucks but it'll pass quickly. Did you get your results yet? :heart:
    Thanks, Michelle. Still waiting.... :#
    Michelle
  • Be well C:\
    cdrive
    Shit yeah!!!

” Your COVID test is negative.”
    MichelleChinaskiNoelJoshuaHeterDeeGiovanni
  • cdrive said:
    Shit yeah!!!

” Your COVID test is negative.”
    Yay!!!!!!!!   Congrats :)
    cdriveChinaskiNoelJoshuaHeter
    hell yeah @cdrive! that's awesome! time to drink!

Party Lol GIF by Action Point - Find  Share on GIPHY
    NoelMichellecdriveGiovanni
  • cdrive said:
    I don’t know how many here with young children have maybe had to have one tested, but be prepared with the upcoming flu and cold season. It’s really really rough to have to sort of gently but forcibly assist two nurses in basically hazmat gear in a hospital drive-thru perform the test on someone as young as 8. 

Glad everyone is okay! We've had my kid tested twice now and both times it was a nightmare. Both times she acted like she had seen cthulhu and wanted to get as far away as possible. The crazy part about it is, every single time your kids get a cold, sniffle, whatever, they're going to have to get tested in order to go back to school/daycare/etc. It's going to be a real long year. 
    cdriveDee
  • But masks don’t work!! Large gatherings are fine!! Contact tracing is Bs!! 

Umm no. It works, unless Singaporean’s are magically immune to Covid..

https://us.yahoo.com/news/explainer-why-singapores-covid-19-065950817.html
    CretanBullGiovanniMarciJenny
  • According to the Chinese government, the first documented case of COVID was 4 days after I made this jokey Facebook post last year. My bad, you guys.

DeeMarci
  • So...Florida continues to post triple digit new deaths every day, putting it in number 1 or at least the top five in the country routinely while entire countries in Europe that are 3-4 times the size of Florida report single digit deaths.  Naturally, Gov Desantis responds to this by removing any further restrictions on Restaurants and Bars.  https://www.orlandosentinel.com/politics/os-ne-desantis-florida-reopens-20200925-f3sr4wk5tncvvkhwr6ua4pereq-story.html#nt=pf-double%20chain~hp-top-stories~flex%20feature~curated~desantis-0925-2p~F3SR4WK5TNCVVKHWR6UA4PEREQ~1~1~1~11~art%20yes

Executive order also prohibits local governments from putting in any of their own restrictions.  Our elected leaders are insane.

Dee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @mharmless What’s gonna happen when all these elected leaders have no one to elect them because all the old people in Florida who would have voted for them have died of Covid... 
    Marci
  • Dee said:
    @mharmless What’s gonna happen when all these elected leaders have no one to elect them because all the old people in Florida who would have voted for them have died of Covid... 

@Dee I honestly can't understand the thinking behind this decision because of reasons like that.  You would think that even the most cynical politician wouldn't try to actively put their core voting base at risk. 

The most charitable justification I can think of is he, and the politicians like him, just hope that COVID will magically not result in people dying anymore if they just wish hard enough or power through.  That we've somehow crossed some threshold where another spike won't happen despite the complete lack of evidence that the situation has changed and the all too clear evidence that this will only make things worse again. 

Since I don't like focusing on the negative, I'll avoid the less charitable reasons I think they may be doing something like this right now.
    DeeMarci
  • Trump's aide Hope Hicks tested positive. She's been in close contact with him in recent days ... :|
  • Also how close did Trump and Biden get during the debate? Trump yelling for 90 minutes straight can't be good.

Greatest country in the world folks. Aggggghhhhhhhh
    Freddy
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Well well well...
  • I heard, people are saying, that maybe they can inject him with bleach and it might be an effective treatment.
    NoelGiovanni