Coronavirus / COVID-19

13468966

Comments

  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited March 2020
    edit: nm 

    Why can’t I upload a pic?

  • edited March 2020
    https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/2020/03/05/big-ears-coronavirus-being-monitored-knoxville-festival/4953495002/

    Man, seems like no way this won’t get cancelled. Anthony Braxton! Patti Smith! Thundercat! Caroline Shaw! Terri Riley! Fucking JOHN PAUL JONES! Not to mention my $500, too. 

    ;_;

    edit: KIM GORDON TOO. AND MIKE WATT. Agh. 
  • I just hope I'll be one of the asymptomatic carriers. Realistically, not having diabetes or hypertension, I'll get flu symptoms for a week and thats it. Unfortunately I run my own business so that would really suck. But I'm more likely to spread the virus to someone who will die of it during my incubation period than to die myself. Which is pretty depressing if I think about it too much.
  • mykhailo said:
    https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/2020/03/05/big-ears-coronavirus-being-monitored-knoxville-festival/4953495002/

    Man, seems like no way this won’t get cancelled. Anthony Braxton! Patti Smith! Thundercat! Caroline Shaw! Terri Riley! Fucking JOHN PAUL JONES! Not to mention my $500, too. 

    ;_;

    edit: KIM GORDON TOO. AND MIKE WATT. Agh. 
    The more I think about this, the more it seems there's no way this shouldn't be cancelled.  20,000 people from around the US and from 30+ foreign countries randomly mixing over and over shoulder to shoulder in small rooms, and then dispersing out over and over into restaurants to randomly encounter tens of thousands of other people for days on end seems like exactly the wrong thing to do at exactly the wrong moment. 

    But if it's not cancelled, I can't imagine not going. I mean, last year there was a show with Bill Frisell and Abigail Washburn playing together. And I missed it because there was too much other great stuff at the same time.

    I'm seriously sort of stressing out about my moral culpability in attending. 
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Freddy said:
    They must have their privacy settings at Friends Only - we can't view it via the link.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Michelle said:
    Freddy said:
    They must have their privacy settings at Friends Only - we can't view it via the link.
    She declined to make it public. Basically, she did a funny video about how random men DMing her saying that they would love to eat her ass is guaranteed to get them coronavirus. She wore glasses and said she works with the CDC. It was a whole thing.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Freddy said:
    Michelle said:
    Freddy said:
    They must have their privacy settings at Friends Only - we can't view it via the link.
    She declined to make it public. Basically, she did a funny video about how random men DMing her saying that they would love to eat her ass is guaranteed to get them coronavirus. She wore glasses and said she works with the CDC. It was a whole thing.

    Gee, why wouldn't she make that public...  o:)
    FlukesFreddy
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    Michelle said:
    cdrive said:
    Nah you gotta use Everclear.  People have already wised-up on the rubbing alcohol cause it’s wiped out every where.  But yeah it needs to be more than 60% alcohol to be hand sanitizer. So it’s 1 part aloe gel to 2 parts alcohol.  
    I just picked up a bottle of 70% at CVS.  Evvvvvvverywhere around here is wiped out of hand sanitizer. :astonished:
    I already have the better part of a case of 99% Isopropyl Alcohol at home. I use it for cleaning sticky resins from.. um.. equipment.
    Michelle
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Flukes said:
    Michelle said:
    cdrive said:
    Nah you gotta use Everclear.  People have already wised-up on the rubbing alcohol cause it’s wiped out every where.  But yeah it needs to be more than 60% alcohol to be hand sanitizer. So it’s 1 part aloe gel to 2 parts alcohol.  
    I just picked up a bottle of 70% at CVS.  Evvvvvvverywhere around here is wiped out of hand sanitizer. :astonished:
    I already have the better part of a case of 99% Isopropyl Alcohol at home. I use it for cleaning sticky resins from.. um.. equipment.
    Yeah, I read this morning that it's supposed to be the 99% variety that you use to make hand sanitizer so that you get at least 60% alcohol in it.  I'm so glad I knew that before buying a big bottle last night.  Oh well, I'll go through it!
    Flukes
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Dee said:
    I have that alcohol spray you get from chemists - would that do?
    I'd hate for you to have some sort of chemical burn or something so I'd say be careful!  I am not an expert!  
    Dee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited March 2020
    @cdrive Oh no, I’m only using that to spray my phone to disinfect it, because I can’t find disinfectant wipes anywhere. 

    (Also got an email just then about my online grocery delivery order coming later today - toilet paper out of stock. FFS, Aussies. If there was a zombie apocalypse in this country we’d be like fucking Lord of the Flies within two days.) 
    cdrive
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    edited March 2020
    MichaelG said:
    Hi - my name is Michael and I’m at the heart of all this thing, AMA!

    First school district closed for 2 weeks today, taking shit seriously. I work in a public library, and our county just declared a state of emergency, so we’ll see how that goes.


    I'm also at 'ground zero' in downtown Seattle. With the schools, CDC is recommending against any closures outside of extreme cases because:

    1) given most of the worldwide data so far, kids are almost completely unaffected, I think there are very few cases of anybody under 30-40 getting the covid-19 disease, and almost nobody under 20. Age 60+ with other conditions seems to be really the only 'at-risk' group currently.

    2) when kids aren't at school that means sending them to the grandparents house... see # 1

    3) when kids aren't at school they're everywhere else, again, see # 1

    4) when people in healthcare or first responders have kids that can't go to school, that means they're not going to work, taking away already thin resources from where it's needed.

    I saw one CDC person say yesterday that looking at the data from previous school closures in epidemic situations (the SARS outbreak and a couple of bad flu seasons in the last decade) school closures were definitely a net negative in the overall scheme of things.

    ...That being said my wife's High School was already closed for 2 days because one student knew someone who thought they might have been exposed by another person that that person knew. They didn't and they weren't.

    ... Also that being said my office closed on Wednesday because one employee was in contact with one of the LifeCare nursing home patients who died (don't know if it was family member or not, HR obviously can't release that info). And two days before that the entire F5 Tower across the street closed (45 stories of office space). And making national news is the Amazon and Microsoft Seattle campuses almost requiring people work from home.

    And after all, all that being said, my worry level on a scale of 1-100 is at about a 2. Today I rode in on the bus like every other day, and am enjoying the light traffic and quiet office. The bus and the office are the cleanest I've ever seen them (though for the bus that's not hard, King County Metro buses are usually borderline petri dishes as-is... if the weird homeless guy on the bus only has coronavirus I'll count that as a bonus)



    FlukesMichaelGElisa
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @redlancer There’s been a baby diagnosed in Australia (mother has it too). 

    I really hope it doesn’t affect the young because I cannot get my 21 yo to take it seriously at all. She’s coeliac, so potentially compromised immunity, she works in a restaurant so comes in contact with lots of people, and this weekend she’s working at a four day music festival with people who have come from all over the world to perform. But she thinks I’m being dramatic and it’s “no worse than flu” (as if proper flu isn’t bad enough anyway). It’s doing my head in. 
  • Dee said:
    @redlancer There’s been a baby diagnosed in Australia (mother has it too). 

    I really hope it doesn’t affect the young because I cannot get my 21 yo to take it seriously at all. She’s coeliac, so potentially compromised immunity, she works in a restaurant so comes in contact with lots of people, and this weekend she’s working at a four day music festival with people who have come from all over the world to perform. But she thinks I’m being dramatic and it’s “no worse than flu” (as if proper flu isn’t bad enough anyway). It’s doing my head in. 

    Oh, kids (and anybody) can definitely get the virus and transmit it, just that beyond that it doesn't seem to affect them. CDC was referring to the covid-19 disease caused by the virus. Looking at the numbers as of 3 days ago, 44K cases of covid-19 in China, under 1% in children, 0 fatalities. Looking at CDC's site now, looks like mortality rate for anybody under 50 is in line with flu, and age 0-9 currently stands at 0. Age 60+ risk is like 3%, with 80+ being the majority with 20+% 

    When it's all said and done, I think a lot of people will find out they have/had the virus and never knew. Seems like currently around 20% of carriers get the covid-19 disease, and of those is only being a major problem for older demographics. 

    Seems to be something like chickenpox when (before their was a vaccine) it was annoying if you got it as a kid, potentially deadly as an adult.

    Still a long, long ways from having complete data, but the trend seems to be kids and anybody healthy under 50 shouldn't worry too much. I worry way more about the flu. That does kill kids.
    DeeFlukesMichaelGElisaDJ_150
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    mykhailo said:
    mykhailo said:
    https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/2020/03/05/big-ears-coronavirus-being-monitored-knoxville-festival/4953495002/

    Man, seems like no way this won’t get cancelled. Anthony Braxton! Patti Smith! Thundercat! Caroline Shaw! Terri Riley! Fucking JOHN PAUL JONES! Not to mention my $500, too. 

    ;_;

    edit: KIM GORDON TOO. AND MIKE WATT. Agh. 
    The more I think about this, the more it seems there's no way this shouldn't be cancelled.  20,000 people from around the US and from 30+ foreign countries randomly mixing over and over shoulder to shoulder in small rooms, and then dispersing out over and over into restaurants to randomly encounter tens of thousands of other people for days on end seems like exactly the wrong thing to do at exactly the wrong moment. 

    But if it's not cancelled, I can't imagine not going. I mean, last year there was a show with Bill Frisell and Abigail Washburn playing together. And I missed it because there was too much other great stuff at the same time.

    I'm seriously sort of stressing out about my moral culpability in attending. 
    SXSW just got canceled.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited March 2020
    *whispers* I think I actually have Covid right now.

    Like a good American, I'm drinking a Truly and going shopping.
    cdrive
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited March 2020
    Went to Costco. TP water Clorox wipes paper towels bleach sold out! They were handing out wipes sheets at the door.  
    My dad died from flu complications last April. He was 85. I think I could live if I get this but no Charmen for my delicate butt, hell no! 

  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    I am the elite 1% that has a bidet.  Enjoy fighting over TP, suckers. 
    CapeGabeasmallcatDoubleA_RonDeehisdudeness915JoshTheBlackFlukesSchlupp
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Michelle said:
    edit: nm 

    Why can’t I upload a pic?

    Me neither.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Phoned my mum today - she and my stepdad - both in early 70s - were at a “really crowded” craft fair full of tourists. FFS. I asked if she thought that was a good idea and she said that people were just being silly about worrying. These are people who had a farm in a severe drought area for decades and still have that mindset so pretty much never wash their hands, and although they’re both healthy for their age, my stepfather has had cancer twice. 

    So, yeah, great. Have fun dying, you gonks. 
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    If FB is to believed, the great TP shortage has reached New France... I mean New Scotland, or whatever this place is called.
    Dee
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Sitting at the airport waiting for my flight from NY to SFO. No one looks very concerned. We all have our faces in our phones per usual. 
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    cdrive said:
    I am the elite 1% that has a bidet.  Enjoy fighting over TP, suckers. 
    plenty of TP at target. 
    Elisa
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Dee said:
    Australians have decided to go the route of the stupid and panic buy toilet paper for... reasons? Then of course others saw photos of it on social media and monkey see, monkey do. Now loads of places are cleaned out and people can’t get toilet paper in their regular weekly/fortnightly shopping. 

    But when I talk to people about how important it is to wash their hands and try not to touch things in public spaces unnecessarily, they wave me off. 

    Idiots. 
    @Dee - Don't say I never think of you.

    No photo description available
    Dee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Cory Hahahaha, I legit want those now!
    Cory
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    I drive Uber/Lyft in and around Atlanta.  Last night I had a drunk passenger throw up from inside the vehicle.  We were stopped and she opened the door and vomited outside, however she got a good bit of splatter on the door panel, most of it plastic.  After dropping her off, I ran into a Kroger hoping to buy some Clorox wipes, because I ran out of the bottle in my trunk.  Literally none in the store.  No lysol or hand sanitizer either.  I did manage to find some gloves and anti-bacterial cleaner thankfully, and was back on the road in 30 minutes.  

    As for Covid-19?  I am regularly in close proximity of absolute strangers,, often coming to/from hospitals/airports.  I don't think it's possible for me to drive a vehicle and not touch my face.  I haven't had any passengers yet that I know came from overseas or Washington state.  I have gotten several passengers from lessor affected areas, not to mention there are 5 confirmed cases in the area I drive.  It might be smart to avoid taking rideshare/taxi for a while if you can help it, and certainly wash your hands after riding in one.  If the weather is nice, maybe ask to roll the windows down.
    JaimieT
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    edited March 2020
    on sale too!
    Elisa
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    Cory said:
    on sale too!
    Shoppers Drug Mart? Nice.


  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Flukes said:
    Cory said:
    on sale too!
    Shoppers Drug Mart? Nice.


    Yup, on sale somewhere else too.
Sign In or Register to comment.