Coronavirus / COVID-19

Comments

• JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    The politics of this is definitely getting to me. As usual, it's a struggle to find solace in solidarity with others, all because no one wants to take responsibility, all so they can avoid blame. That was a convoluted way to express that. I'm avoiding making a political statement. Basically I'm angry/anxious that we can't find unity, once again. It doesn't remind me of 9/11 (because I was too young?) but it definitely reminds me of late 2016.
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    JaimieT said:
    The politics of this is definitely getting to me. As usual, it's a struggle to find solace in solidarity with others, all because no one wants to take responsibility, all so they can avoid blame. That was a convoluted way to express that. I'm avoiding making a political statement. Basically I'm angry/anxious that we can't find unity, once again. It doesn't remind me of 9/11 (because I was too young?) but it definitely reminds me of late 2016.
    I know I'm an adult and should be able to make decisions, but I'm feeling handcuffed by this. My wife and I like to take my son to minor league hockey game and we have a great time. They haven't cancelled yet and we have tickets for Friday night and Sunday afternoon. I'm stressing about what to do. I just wish there was a blanket statement like "Don't go in to crowds of over x amount of people" I'm trying not to make panic decisions and live my life but everything I read and see says I should be in. Everyone seems to be waiting for other to make decisions as to what they should and should't do. I feel like a little child and I don't like how this whole event is making me fell. 
  • Yeah, I'm frustrated by it too. Just like I'm often limiting my time on Facebook because of politics, it's the same with this - I'm seeing people spreading disinformation from Fox News, posting stupid memes about Pelosi and Schumer being the real viruses to avoid, people saying dumb shit about how it's just a flu and more people die of other flu viruses, suicide, blah, blah, blah. It just makes me angry. We could be banding together and demanding better action from our government, but instead it's just more fighting and if you're critical of the response, you're somehow "for" the coronavirus? This is what happens when too many people are anti-science and anti-logic.
    Yeah @calebthrower that's hard. I wouldn't know what to do with that.

I just learned that the Smithsonians might close, but haven't yet. I didn't even think that was a possibility. I have a vacation planned to DC in 2 weeks, paid in full, all for the purpose of seeing Smithsonians. SIGH. Can't we just fucking all wear masks and gloves? Can't that be a decree that goes out? I don't want them to close, but I understand the argument. I guess I might be spending my DC vacation mostly in my hotel.

Venting. It's so annoying to have these disruptions.
  • I know I'm an adult and should be able to make decisions, but I'm feeling handcuffed by this. My wife and I like to take my son to minor league hockey game and we have a great time. They haven't cancelled yet and we have tickets for Friday night and Sunday afternoon. I'm stressing about what to do. I just wish there was a blanket statement like "Don't go in to crowds of over x amount of people" I'm trying not to make panic decisions and live my life but everything I read and see says I should be in. Everyone seems to be waiting for other to make decisions as to what they should and should't do. I feel like a little child and I don't like how this whole event is making me fell. 

You'll get there. We're a few weeks ahead of the rest of the country (Seattle / western Washington) and just yesterday the Governor said anything with over 250 people is now cancelled through at least the end of the month. Pretty much all local venues seat at least 250 and everything is cancelled. Any event, concert, sporting event, social gathering, etc. It's gonna financially crush a lot of these smaller venues where losing multiple weeks of ticket sales will probably be unrecoverable and they possible won't be able to come back from that. Most school districts now shut down for next 3-6 weeks also. 

Sucks because I have tickets for 2 events for my family in the next 6 weeks and is a good possibility they won't be refunded (the whole 'no refunds due to unforeseen circumstances (see: SXSW)). 

Event for one of my tickets said they were going to try and trim attendance down to 220 from around 350 to avoid completely cancelling (not sure how 220 is that much different than 250, but humans love arbitrary numbers assigned to things)

Elisa
  • Trump can't even prevent his stupid gauche resort from becoming an outbreak hot spot, we're so fucked.

• Also - March Madness is cancelled.
  • MrX said:
    Also - March Madness is cancelled.
    Well, it was really looking like my alma mater (Michigan) was gonna get thrashed, soooooo silver linings I guess?
  • If someone doesn't want to take this seriously then show them articles from Italy because that is us in 2-3 weeks.

hisdudeness915Marci
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    edited March 2020
    Washington State Governor just shut down all schools in 3 counties until at least April 24. That's about 1100 schools.

Feds now indicating they are starting to look at limiting domestic travel to some areas. Guess my April trip to San Diego is not looking good...   :(

edit:  ...and now Disneyland closed.
    Elisa
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Marci said:
    JaimieT said:
    If I knew someone that for-sure had COVID... I would just fucking go expose myself right now. I have 2 weeks that can be freed. Avoiding it is obnoxious.

I know what you're saying, but I don't think you would really want to do that. Some people have mild effects, but at least a small percentage of people are having life-changing damage if it doesn't kill them. https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/02/here-is-what-coronavirus-does-to-the-body/
    I've spent the last month and half trying to recover from stupid bronchitis, and I know how hard I was wheezing and coughing. I required breathing treatments at urgent care, and inhalers, steroids, antibiotics, and nasal sprays. And that was nothing compared to this.
    Also, recovered people seem to remain contagious for long periods of time.

Yup, I was thinking the same thing as JL, but knew it would be irresponsible and that I'd probably end up regretting it.
    JaimieTMarci
    redlancer said:

Hasn't happened since 9/11.

Disney World has a lot more on-site guests, so it's more complicated to close. I'm guessing they won't unless this gets worse.
  • JaimieT said:
    redlancer said:

Hasn't happened since 9/11.

Disney World has a lot more on-site guests, so it's more complicated to close. I'm guessing they won't unless this gets worse.
    The on site guest get the new Disney experience, quarantine in place at Cinderella's castle. 
    Elisa
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Seriously, I just need a pack to restock!  I'm thinking the lady with 20 packs in her cart can spare one. :confused:

Flukeshisdudeness915Noel
  • asmallcat said:
    MrX said:
    Also - March Madness is cancelled.
    Well, it was really looking like my alma mater (Michigan) was gonna get thrashed, soooooo silver linings I guess?
    Haha well I'm a UNC fan so if a season was going to cancelled this is a good one from that perspective!
    The Smithsonians are CLOSED. What a thing! Tomorrow I need to see if I can get my hotel and flight rescheduled or something. I might just be out $1000.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    JaimieT said:
    The Smithsonians are CLOSED. What a thing! Tomorrow I need to see if I can get my hotel and flight rescheduled or something. I might just be out $1000.
    Good luck with getting your money back.  It's not your fault the Smithsonians are closed, so I believe you should.  Feel free to tell them I said that if you have to argue with them!
    JaimieTcalebthrowerawookiee
    edited March 2020
    Disney World, closed until the end of the month! That was fast!
    MarciElisa
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    @Michelle Is putting jalapeños in your nachos just a Texas thing? I didn’t know there was another way to eat nachos!
    ElisaChinaskiMichelle
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    Noel said:
    @Michelle Is putting jalapeños in your nachos just a Texas thing? I didn’t know there was another way to eat nachos!
    We do it, but I've always suspected my wife is a secret Texan.
    NoelMichelleElisaChinaski
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Flukes said:
    Noel said:
    We do it, but I've always suspected my wife is a secret Texan.
    Isn't Alberta just the Texas of the north?  :o
    NoelFlukesElisaChinaski
    edited March 2020
    Cory said:
    JaimieT said:
    If I knew someone that for-sure had COVID... I would just fucking go expose myself right now. I have 2 weeks that can be freed. Avoiding it is obnoxious.
    JL, the badass of Bald Move!

I think I'm going to do this, albeit in a roundabout way. I think I'm going to drive down to Disney World tomorrow (8 hours) and catch 2 park days before it closes. The last hurrah at the end of the world.

Edit: .... nah. Very tempting but things are too unpredictable right now. Instead of a 6am run on Rise of the Resistance I'm going to make a 7am run on Whole Foods.  :D
    Marci
    Noel said:
    I don't put jalapeños in anything, so I'm gonna say 'yes'.  :)
    Noel
  • edited March 2020
    Just got back from seeing Hamlet in a small theater-in-round. Good god the spit was flying, especially from Hamlet. I think it may have been the specific peculiarity of the lighting in this staging that allowed you to see every single one of the thousands of droplets that spewed forth with each word, but I’ve never seen anything like it. It was like a Gallagher show. If that actor actually is infected with Coronavirus, the whole audience is going to be dead in a month’s time. 
    Giovanni
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Sophie Trudeau tested positive.
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited March 2020
    We have a pair of absolute wankers from St. Louis, Missouri who broke quarantine last week after their daughter returned from study abroad in Italy exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19. The entire family was instructed by healthcare professionals to self-quarantine until the test results were back, and instead the dad took his other daughter to a daddy-daughter dance and the mom went grocery shopping and got a manicure. And then the test results came back positive.

These people should be held criminally and civically responsible. If someone dies from their trace pattern they are murderers or at the very least mansalaughters. 

EDIT: looks like they can. They need to people on notice...

CoryJaimieTMarcinstinson
    With my vacation cancelled with no refund, and with grocery stores being emptied, I am both enraged and terrified. 

It's great the population owns guns.  :/
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    JaimieT said:
    With my vacation cancelled with no refund, and with grocery stores being emptied, I am both enraged and terrified. 

It's great the population owns guns.  :/
    You for sure aren't getting a refund?  Or is a bunch of red-tape bullshit going to make it take a long while?
    rhcoop
  • edited March 2020
    Michelle said:
    Seriously, I just need a pack to restock!  I'm thinking the lady with 20 packs in her cart can spare one. :confused:

Are you thrrrreeatening mee ??

P.S: Schools are starting to close in Germany as well along with increasing homeoffice time.
    Michelle