RIP Those Who Died in 2020

Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
Sadly it’s time for this thread :-(

Neil Peart - drummer Rush

Buck Henry - writer, director, Emmy winner. 

Christopher Tolkien - the son of Lord Of The Rings author JRR Tolkien, has died aged 95, 

Comments

• cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Terry Jones - a titan on the Monty Python team.  
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    cdrive said:
    Terry Jones - a titan on the Monty Python team.  
    Monty Python will always be one of the funniest shows/movies/groups I've ever watched. Goodbye Terry.

• MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Aww damn
  • Kobe Bryant, dead in a helicopter crash!
    The fuck is happening in this world?!
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Alkaid13 said:
    Kobe Bryant, dead in a helicopter crash!

just heard. so incredibly sad  :'(
  • Alkaid13 said:
    It's hard to believe. I refused to believe it at first. It's truly devastating to think that his daughters will grow up without a father...
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    RIP Kobe
    kingbee67
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    ray_x03 said:
    Alkaid13 said:
    It's hard to believe. I refused to believe it at first. It's truly devastating to think that his daughters will grow up without a father...
    Being reported his 13-year-old daughter was one of the other passengers. No one on board survived.
  • Cory said:
    ray_x03 said:
    Alkaid13 said:
    Being reported his 13-year-old daughter was one of the other passengers. No one on board survived.
    Well, I was a bit too quick on posting that. What a sad day.
    Here's to hoping the other three daughters are alright...
    Cory said:
    ray_x03 said:
    Alkaid13 said:
    omg this story gets worse. i'm beyond shook, just awful awful news.
    edited January 26
    Noel said:
    RIP Kobe
    A pal and I splurged on decent seats at the UH - USF game today and right before halftime this woman next to me says hey did you hear and showed me her phone’s screen.  Just terrible. (I love the recent story from Luka saying Kobe was talking to him in Lithuanian. ) We were saying all those kids were going to go in their locker room at half and learn the news. The whole arena was learning at the same time and murmuring.  Super sad. 

Noel

• The CN Tower in Toronto lit up in Lakers colours in honour of Kobe
    NoelcdriveChinaski
  • Never was a big basketball person but always knew Kobe was a big deal both on and off the court.  There's an entire generation out there that everytime they throw something from a distance into a trash can yelled out "KOBE!!!!."  Absolutely heartbreaking seeing that news and then it came out his daughter was with him turned me to tears instantly.  My hearts go out to everybody's family that was on board that helicopter.   
    MurderbearNoel
    awookiee said:
    Never was a big basketball person but always knew Kobe was a big deal both on and off the court.  There's an entire generation out there that everytime they throw something from a distance into a trash can yelled out "KOBE!!!!."  Absolutely heartbreaking seeing that news and then it came out his daughter was with him turned me to tears instantly.  My hearts go out to everybody's family that was on board that helicopter.   
    I was wondering what the origin of yelling "Kobe!" actually is because that is definitely a favorite of mine. It just always feels right.
  • edited January 27
    Kobe!

What everyone yells when they shoot a fadeaway jumpshot with a paper ball into the garbage can.
    Might be Chappelle's Show. https://youtu.be/VIgHVlb151c
    awookiee
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Kirk Douglas passed away today at 103. :cry:
    He had a very long life though and leaves behind a huge legacy, both personally and professionally.
    ken hale
  • Michelle said:
    Kirk Douglas passed away today at 103. :cry:
    He had a very long life though and leaves behind a huge legacy, both personally and professionally.

RIP. That's a pretty good run, to have his career and also make it to 103.  I only recently saw him in Spartacus and Paths of Glory.  The latter might be of interest to those who liked 1917, as its got a pretty phenomenal tracking shot no-man's-land sequence.
    edited February 6
    20,000 Leagues Under The Sea and Ned Land were a big part of my summer childhood memories.  My Grammy had it on VHS and I must've watched it 20 times each summer.  Kirk Douglas was the shit.  

Rest in peace, David Roback.  I loved Mazzy Star so much (still do).  Sad news today. :cry: :heartbreak:

johnnytruantMurderbear
    RIP James Lipton :'(

Freddy
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
     :( 
    edited March 3
    Chinaski said:

Aww, sad.  Inside the Actors Studio used to be one of my favorite shows. :cry:
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Chinaski said:

This one hurt. James Lipton was a national treasure. His Chappelle interview alone is The Wire level important. I recommend it to people all the time for so many reasons. Great career insight, social insight, and just overall a great piece of media on how people should approach life.

edited March 3
    Check out younger James Lipton!

ken hale
    Max von Sydow, 90. Had a long and illustrious career in so many iconic movies.
    Noel
  • edited March 21
    Kenny Rogers :(  

Definitely seemed like one of those "my parents might listen to him" kind of artists, but I started to appreciate him more recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSYoVZioNz0&feature=emb_logo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqSKeXnpxwU 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AULOC--qUOI

CoryTulipblossom
    For the longest time when I was a kid I thought Tommy Lee Jones in Lonesome Dove was Kenny Rogers.

Like much later in life I had a real vertigo type experience with the Kill Bill siren blaring at the moment I realized that is actually TLJ and not Kenny Rogers.

Anyways....  The Gambler is an all time country classic man...RIP Kenny Rogers.

ken haleTulipblossomTravis