The New Pope - Ep.2 Podcast Discussion

You can listen here now: baldmove.com/the-new-pope/s02e02/

Video version is here:

Comments

• I'm thinking that maybe Brannox is saying that all of the actions to help the vagrant are different acts of love, while the Church is doing the bare minimum and that's what they need to diagnose. All of these people presumably would believe the most in prayer, but it's kind of like the "Two Boats and a Helicopter" joke; the church has the power to really help people but if all they can give is their thoughts then what power does God really have.

I don't know though, because it seems like this show likes to subvert the sympathetic views I project on its characters. But honestly, I would still watch this show even if it was just people in cool outfits dancing to electropop.
    Jimken hale
  • Just wondering if folks think I have to watch The Young Pope before I start this series....
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    DrCynPiz said:
    Just wondering if folks think I have to watch The Young Pope before I start this series....
    I would if you have the time.
    ken hale
  • I'm thinking that maybe Brannox is saying that all of the actions to help the vagrant are different acts of love, while the Church is doing the bare minimum and that's what they need to diagnose. All of these people presumably would believe the most in prayer, but it's kind of like the "Two Boats and a Helicopter" joke; the church has the power to really help people but if all they can give is their thoughts then what power does God really have.

I don't know though, because it seems like this show likes to subvert the sympathetic views I project on its characters. But honestly, I would still watch this show even if it was just people in cool outfits dancing to electropop.

I came here to say the exact same thing about the vagrant parable, only less eloquently, lol.  I loved that monologue, and isn't it great that we get brilliant shit like that AND non-sequitor elctropop dance sequences?  Sometimes those scenes almost just give you time to meditate on the philosophical musings that you just heard in the previous one.  It's great!

What I liked the most about that parable was the implication that, of all those, including the wino friend, the Church was the one that offered that man the very least, and the least loving, when that was the one thing they were supposed to do in the first place.  I don't know if i agree with that entirely, or if that speech means that Malkovich's character genuinely believes in, and would implement, a "loving" posture for the church.  It doesn't seem like he's going to reinstate Francis' extreme charity.  I don't know that I feel very sympathetic at all to Malkovitch's character (or many characters) at this point, but you're right that it doesn't affect, in any way, my appreciation for the show.