Commissioned Podcast Line Up

Comments

• MichelleMichelle California
    edited February 2016

@DrKen ; I was thinking of a few...The Maltese Falcon, Casablanca, Citizen Kane, or A Streetcar Named Desire. To Kill A Mockingbird ('62) would be another good one.
    DaveyMac
  • I would never commission this but I highly recommend, one time in your life, to watch Top Hat or The Gay Divorcee.

I'm not even a dance fan but the performances in those movies are tremendous. Plus, just the period aspects of those being nearly 100 years old is interesting.

If you really get into Fred & Ginger, there's a scene in a much later Fred movie where he plays the drums with his dance shoes which is amazing.
    MichelleDaveyMac
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Funny, while I love classics, I was never much into Fred & Ginger although I do have a ton of respect for both.  Their talent was immeasurable. 
  • If I had the money to commission an older film I'd go with a Wilder. "Double Indemnity", "Ace In The Hole", "Sunset Boulevard", "The Apartment". Something like that.

It's less well-known, but I also think "The Oxbow Incident" with Henry Fonda would make for a cool discussion. It's a bit like "12 Angry Men", but in the western genre. 
  • Hatorian said:

Shawshank should go up as a community cast. If definitely buy some shares

Didn't they already do a Shawshank?
  • Hatorian said:

Shawshank should go up as a community cast. If definitely buy some shares

Didn't they already do a Shawshank?
    Not that I am aware. I didn't see it after a half-assed search either. 
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Nope, we have not.
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    edited February 2016
    If you really get into Fred & Ginger, there's a scene in a much later Fred movie where he plays the drums with his dance shoes which is amazing.
    BTW, here's that scene I was talking about just to save anybody who is interested from watching a pretty horrible movie in Damsel in Distress.

If you're stretched for time, you can jump to about 3:10 where he really goes off -

DeeTaraC73
  • elgat0elgat0 Clearwater
    Lots of good ideas being tossed around. My pick for an older film would be Lawrence of Arabia. Lots to discuss...Direction Cinematography Acting Politics.
  • Does anyone know what episodes are going to be covered in the Firefly podcast?
  • bpstrader said:

Does anyone know what episodes are going to be covered in the Firefly podcast?

I wondered that too. I assumed it was the movie.

I've consumed no Firefly but I thought this might be a good opportunity to sample it.
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    According to my brother @Frakkin T , the reason I don't know Nathan fillion is because I never saw any firefly. Maybe I'll sample some along with you, @DrKen .
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    edited March 2016
    I can't make it through Cowspirscy.

Meat doesn't "use" more water than domestic water use. All the water meat production uses is from the grain they eat. The grain is grown right here in Illinois, and other midwest states. We don't have a drought problem, because we don't live in a dessert. So eating a hamburger in Cali isn't really the same as showering for 2 months. We would do better by not eating almonds or whatever other crops they grow there. That is the most ironic part. This Vegan doc maker eats all the nuts and vegetables California grows. That's what is using all your water.

The base issue with the environment is there are just too many damn people. But I don't see too many countries actively trying to control population. Until that happens the environment will be fucked to the point where enough of us die to balance everything back out.

Edit: do not feel to bad about eating pigs @A_Ron_Hubbard, they would eat you given the chance.
    TaraC73MichelleBrawn
  • Robocop, Starship Troopers...or Clerks? Weird, weird to include that with the other two, but I'm definitely hoping for Clerks.
    Stoodawg
    edited March 2016
    Luke said:

The base issue with the environment is there are just too many damn people. But I don't see too many countries actively trying to control population. Until that happens the environment will be fucked to the point where enough of us die to balance everything back out.

Well, there's certainly a lot of different ways you can slice the argument, but the basic fact is the whole world can't be fed on an American diet, and many Americans couldn't be fed on it if so much of the industry wasn't subsidized. The other part of the water argument is the fertilizer and crop run off that is arguably killing the Gulf of Mexico would be about 90% reduced if we eliminated meat eating... which obviously won't happen.  As I said, I'm not arguing it will, but trying to minimize a problem or dismiss it by saying the hippies eating almonds are worse doesn't make the original problem go away.  Like, if you're beating up someone, and the guy the next street over is killing somebody, that doesn't mean it's peachy keen to beat someone up.

The global population is another thing.  The world can sustain 9 to 11 billion people comfortably, which is about where people predict the world will start to stagnate and then fall back to a stable population.  Controlling population against population's will is hard to do and usually heartless.  I don't buy any argument that asserts it's easier to get people to slow down having babies than it is to modify their lifestyle.  And again, I don't believe runaway global population is a problem that we'll have to face. The only thing that I think can stop the progress of education, economic, and technological trends of slowing and halting the population boom would ironically be a cataclysmic event that would probably knock the population back on it's own. 

As far as the pig thing goes,  I mean, if you reduce ethics to a simple question of what would an animal do in the place of me you can justify a lot of crazy shit. I don't feel bad for eating pigs, per se, I feel bad for keeping an animal I recognize as being as intelligent and self aware as a dog in conditions that I would consider abuse and neglect if it were done to a dog. 

So I'm a hypocrite. I don't like that about myself, but I like it less than I like eating pork products at the moment. 
    DaveyMacReniBrawn
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    @A_Ron_Hubbard I mostly agree with you. I actually am not that cynical about the future. I think technology will probably solve most of the issues we have. And that making third world contrise as developed as us is the key.

I hope your right that the population will level out, because I don't really want to live to see the alternative.

Also with pigs I wasn't so much saying if pigs were us, as much as saying pigs have been known to actually eat kids. I guess that is why I put them blow dogs on stuff I wouldn't want to eat list.
  • Am thinking for my bday to commission "Ghost Dog", but with an ear towards it being a clear homage to Jean-Pierre Melville's "Le Samourai" (which virtually no movie critic pointed out when it was released).  Or a classic Hong Kong yarn like "Full Time Killer", or "A Better Tomorrow" part 2.
    As someone mentioned above, "Wall Street" would be terrific, too!
    AntManBeeDaveyMac
  • StoodawgStoodawg Kalamazoo, MI
    edited March 2016
    Wow, I'm really excited to hear many of these coming commissioned podcasts! Back to the Future, Goonies, Lost, I'm pleased that people are picking a lot of classic great movies and not just weird obscure stuff. For #9 that says Robocop, Starship Troopers or Clerks, I'd like to hear a cast on all of those but I'd probably have to vote for Clerks. I'd like to hear what Jim and A. Ron have to say about that. As a fellow person who came up in the 90s that was an important film.
  • My vote would be for Starship Troopers.
    TravisGredalBee
  • Hatorian said:

My vote would be for Starship Troopers.

Agreed! Clerks would be a lot of fun too, but I'm really pulling for Starship Troopers.
    Hatorian
  • Has anyone considered commissioning a Lars von Trier film? Can you imagine their reaction to Breaking the Waves?
    Antichrist!
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA

Antichrist!

Jesus...talk about a difficult watch.
    I usually prefer to watch these with Jim, but I think I'd opt to watch that one alone. 
  • @Luke and @A_Ron_Hubbard  Never watched Cowspiracy, but I can say I high recommend the documentary series on Netflix called "Cooked".  It is very good and puts a whole new spin on human's history with food and how that's changed and how everything is intertwined (climate change, cost of wheat, etc.).   It's a great watch.

• Upon researching the excellent music in the House of Cards Season 4 trailer, which I had thought was music from the movie There Will Be Blood (same composer, and overall very similar a track), it occurred to me to suggest TWBB as a possible future commissioned 'cast. Such a cool, dark movie.
    Melonusk
  • A shame he used the Anne-Sophie Mutter recording of the Brahms Violin concerto for There Will Be Blood, my only gripe.
  • Antichrist!

In case you haven't seen it, Vinterberg's movie "Festen" (The celebration) would be a great movie to watch and discuss.

• I thought the Princess Bride podcast was great! Keep up the good work!
This discussion has been closed.