Bald Movies – Star Trek: Generations (1994) - Podcast Discussion

CecilyCecily Cincinnati

Jim & A.Ron have left their nexus ribbon to revisit the first TNG movie, where Picard's crew meets Kirk's crew for the first time.  Jim thinks much more highly of it than A.Ron did, but they had fun watching anyway.  The panel with William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy referenced in the podcast can be found here.

The plan is to cover a movie every single week, be it first-run or not.  Let us know what you thought of the movie or the podcast discussion in this thread.

Darmock&Jalad@Tenagra

Comments

• Got to agree with A.Ron on this one-maybe because we are around the same age. I was so hyped for this movie when it came out, but it was not great. 
  • ‘Tis a far better thing you do. I hesitate to revisit a movie that teenage @Doctor_Nick thought was drek at the time. 
    DJ_150
  • I've got to link the redlettermedia review of generations which is the first review Mike ever did and lead them to doing the star wars prequel reviews and how they became internet famous.

JaimieTA_Ron_Hubbard
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Generations and an old TOS episode have melded in my mind where when Kirk dies under that bridge, he asks Picard, "Did I do it? Did I have a piece of the action?"
    A_Ron_Hubbard
    edited January 23
    I was 7 when this movie came out, but I didn't see it until I was probably 10 because I wasn't allowed to watch PG movies without adult supervision so every movie I did see (PG or otherwise) was precious to me. So I thought this movie was the shit because it had Picard and Kirk in it. I have no desire to ever watch it again, but you better believe I own a copy.

It's very odd to me to think that Star Trek movies came out in theaters when I was a kid. I wasn't allowed to go to movie theaters between the age of 4 and 14 (ish). I only had the TV shows, and only some of them, that I could consume on demand, but it all worked out in the end. I wasn't missing too much after all.

I really love Star Trek you guys. I's mah happy place.

Looking forward to the cast.
    Darmock&Jalad@Tenagra
  • Looking forward to the weekly movie review. I like RLM's Re-View segments and this has a similar vibe. Not so much a review but just BS-ing about some classics for an hour.

As far as Generations, yes, I think it was explicitly stated that all the refugees on those ships in the beginning were El-Aurian. That's why when they were beamed to the Enterprise they all seemed so out of it (even more out of it than somebody being rescued from exploding ships), all of them had just been pulled out of the Nexus and they were utterly disoriented. 

In my headcanon, the empathic-like El-Aurians were just far more susceptible to the Nexus existence than humans. That's why Soran is turned into a fanatic, and Guinan says it haunts her daily. Humans, while being affected by it, can just disregard it after they realize what's going on. Maybe that's also why things seemed so out of place with Picard living some Charles Dickens holiday, and Kirk seemingly with the wrong lady-friend. Whatever the Nexus is it just can't quite build out a perfect paradise based on a particular human's memories so it quickly breaks down. Definitely wouldn't be the first instance of this happening in a ST plot.

edited January 23

(double post, slow website)

• First Contact Podcast: Make it So
    DJ_150Freddy
    (am listening)

Yes, the fire killing Robert and Rene is the weirdest thing and gets mentioned in many fanfics. Not in an "adult" way (because wtf), but it's just one of those things I think fans feel the need to expound on.
    DJ_150
    Epic podcast! I love hearing the dudes shoot the shit about Star Trek. I'll revisit this in the future I'm sure. 
    CecilyA_Ron_HubbardFreddy
  • edited January 24
    This was so fun to listen to!  I loved the quick reference to Vazquez from Aliens. 
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    This was so fun to listen to!  I loved the quick reference to Vazquez from Aliens. 

I had a whole bit! Then Jim distracted me and it got lost to the Nexus.
    Teresa from Concord
  • edited January 24
    I always wished Picard would’ve made some joke towards Riker When he leaves him in command of the enterprise saying  
    Will?
    Yes Captain? 
    Don’t  crash my ship this time?
  • This was so fun to listen to!  I loved the quick reference to Vazquez from Aliens. 
    Best username ever, and probably in my Top 5 episodes of all time!!!!!!!!!
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Something I needed while feeling glum.

Time for Lunch.
  • This was so fun to listen to!  I loved the quick reference to Vazquez from Aliens. 
    I hadn't even realized that was her until this podcast. Amazing.

I always had a soft spot for Generations. I lean more toward Jim's opinion that it's not a great movie, but it's better than TNG's latter two efforts. Kind of fun to listen to Jim and A.Ron go over every flaw of the film, though.