Forums

This may have been discussed in a lunch or somewhere else but do the guys have a plan to fix the forums? Half the time I get timed/504ed out. 
CoryNoel

Comments

  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Yeah, this is the worst it's been by far. :s
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    JaimieT said:
    Yeah, this is the worst it's been by far. :s
    I found it at bad, maybe a bit worse, about 4-8 weeks ago, then it seemed to improve not long after the holidays.  Now it's reverted back to about as bad as it was before (and during) the holidays.

    Last Lunch Aron mentioned something about a suspected problem with the HTML (?) from the last update?  I'm so well versed in this though, that it's about as clear as Geordi and Data explaining the warp engines.
    Elisa
  • Cory said:
    JaimieT said:
    Yeah, this is the worst it's been by far. :s
    I found it at bad, maybe a bit worse, about 4-8 weeks ago, then it seemed to improve not long after the holidays.  Now it's reverted back to about as bad as it was before (and during) the holidays.

    Last Lunch Aron mentioned something about a suspected problem with the HTML (?) from the last update?  I'm so well versed in this though, that it's about as clear as Geordi and Data explaining the warp engines.
    Yup it's pretty bad these days.

    Jim trying to troubleshoot the forums:




    Teresa from ConcordElisaDoubleA_RonNoelOliviaD
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Cory said:
    JaimieT said:
    Yeah, this is the worst it's been by far. :s
    I found it at bad, maybe a bit worse, about 4-8 weeks ago, then it seemed to improve not long after the holidays.  Now it's reverted back to about as bad as it was before (and during) the holidays.

    Last Lunch Aron mentioned something about a suspected problem with the HTML (?) from the last update?  I'm so well versed in this though, that it's about as clear as Geordi and Data explaining the warp engines.

    Yeah, I can see saying that time was worse. I'm scoring it like this because January has been persistent low-level bullshit. I'd prefer it just being down 1 day a week. Waiting 5-10 seconds for a page to load... Kill me now. (Insert first world problems meme.)
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    I love the forums but it’s been so frustrating that I don’t check in as much. Hope it gets fixed. PS this is not a request to move the forums to Reddit or something.
    JaimieTElisa
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I'm a UX Designer and this is what happens with the psychology of human-computer interaction. When things are terribly bad, people complain. When things are low-level bad, people quietly change their habits. The low-level over time is much worse.

    And that's the last I'll complain about this for now. :)
    sbench2MattyWeaves
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Yeah, we doubled the server capacity last week and it maybe, took the edge off a little bit. That's what lead me to believe there is a deeper problem because it was humming like a top then took off into 1000% utilization land and hasn't come back. It doesn't match up exactly with a code piece we put in place, but it's within 10 days, and I wonder if there wasn't a threshold.

    Anyway, yeah, I understand the psychology aspect of it and it's not good. More and more it's looking like the logical step is to move the community to a solution with actual support. Hosted vanilla forums is horrifically expensive, (I think their entry level option is $700/month); other solutions that are robust and less expensive would be a problem to have a VIP solution for. We're preparing a Empire Business to lay the options before the community and see how people feel about the various tradeoffs of the various solutions. In the meantime it probably doesn't make anyone feel any better but I literally lose sleep about it.
    JaimieTMichellecalebthrowerDeeDoubleA_Ronhisdudeness915Noelhitmy
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited January 28
    Now I just feel bad for both of us.  :D ;)
    A_Ron_HubbardEine Frau
  • Well I’m not cancelling my membership over it. I’m a Baldmover til the day I die. 
    DummyNoelMichelleDoubleA_Ron
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    I would be down for some kind of community based effort. I don’t know how many members there are currently, but I’m certainly one that could spare a quick $20 or $40 to help the overall quality of BM. I know others aren’t in the same situation as I am, but I think we can come together to help. The forums are one of the reasons I love BM. It’s old school, but that makes it feel more personal. I love all the connections I’ve made over the years of being here and I owe it to the forums. This is one of my daily visits and I’d hate for it to go away.

    Let me know what I can do to help @A_Ron_Hubbard @Jim @Cecily
    MichelleDee
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Noel said:
    I would be down for some kind of community based effort. I don’t know how many members there are currently, but I’m certainly one that could spare a quick $20 or $40 to help the overall quality of BM. I know others aren’t in the same situation as I am, but I think we can come together to help. The forums are one of the reasons I love BM. It’s old school, but that makes it feel more personal. I love all the connections I’ve made over the years of being here and I owe it to the forums. This is one of my daily visits and I’d hate for it to go away.

    Let me know what I can do to help @A_Ron_Hubbard @Jim @Cecily
    Same.
    Noel
  • Hatorian said:
    Well I’m not cancelling my membership over it. I’m a Baldmover til the day I die. 
    Baldalowda !!! Spin the forums !!
    Doctor_NickTxSandManNoelMichelleJimHatorian
  • edited January 29
    *double post*
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Michelle said:
    Noel said:
    I would be down for some kind of community based effort. I don’t know how many members there are currently, but I’m certainly one that could spare a quick $20 or $40 to help the overall quality of BM. I know others aren’t in the same situation as I am, but I think we can come together to help. The forums are one of the reasons I love BM. It’s old school, but that makes it feel more personal. I love all the connections I’ve made over the years of being here and I owe it to the forums. This is one of my daily visits and I’d hate for it to go away.

    Let me know what I can do to help @A_Ron_Hubbard @Jim @Cecily
    Same.
    Same same. 
    NoelMichelle
  • edited January 29
    Dee said:
    Michelle said:
    Noel said:
    I would be down for some kind of community based effort. I don’t know how many members there are currently, but I’m certainly one that could spare a quick $20 or $40 to help the overall quality of BM. I know others aren’t in the same situation as I am, but I think we can come together to help. The forums are one of the reasons I love BM. It’s old school, but that makes it feel more personal. I love all the connections I’ve made over the years of being here and I owe it to the forums. This is one of my daily visits and I’d hate for it to go away.

    Let me know what I can do to help @A_Ron_Hubbard @Jim @Cecily
    Same.
    Same same. 
    Agreed.  I hop on the forums multiple times a day to keep up with everything.  The only time it was tough to keep up was right after new episodes of GOT, especially during season 8.  Those threads exploded.  Jumping into the Bald Move forums are just part of my daily routine.
    MichelleDee
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    Dee said:
    Michelle said:
    Noel said:
    I would be down for some kind of community based effort. I don’t know how many members there are currently, but I’m certainly one that could spare a quick $20 or $40 to help the overall quality of BM. I know others aren’t in the same situation as I am, but I think we can come together to help. The forums are one of the reasons I love BM. It’s old school, but that makes it feel more personal. I love all the connections I’ve made over the years of being here and I owe it to the forums. This is one of my daily visits and I’d hate for it to go away.

    Let me know what I can do to help @A_Ron_Hubbard @Jim @Cecily
    Same.
    Same same. 
    Same same same
    NoelMichelle
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Hatorian said:
    Well I’m not cancelling my membership over it. I’m a Baldmover til the day I die. 
    Whoa Whoa Whoa. Who said anything about cancelling? Simma down now  ;)
    Hatorian
Sign In or Register to comment.