Locke and Key - Netflix

I've been looking forward to this series for about ten years after reading the comic, so suffice to say I was pretty, pretty hyped for it to premier on Netflix yesterday.  I've only watched one episode because the series is such a favorite I just really don't want to rush through it and then be waiting for more.  Same reason I haven't watched the new season of the Expanse, yet.  It's like a fine wine that you anticipate opening.

First episode (no spoilers) was very good, in my incredibly biased opinion.  I was ready to hate it from anticipointment, and I definitely did not.  It's great that Joe Hill was involved with writing it for television.  (Also co-written by some guy named Aron.) Up front, I gotta say this will never be as good as the comic, because the nature of sequential art just allows for different pacing and visual transitions, and Gabriel Rodriguez did some amazing things in that series. 

This first episode effectively introduces all of the major characters that will be involved in the story and, more importantly, juggles pretty well all the different tones that the story hits.  It balances teenage drama, little kid adventure, family in crisis, and horror elements, and I think the script and cinematography in this first episode effectively delivered on all of them.

I'm really struggling to write a review because I don't want to spoil stuff or rant about the minute and major differences in the adaptation, so I'll just cut this off by saying WATCH THIS SHOW, or maybe just buy the comic, and then come back and discuss it, lol.
ElisarhcoopTulipblossom

Comments

• As I write this comment, my wife is binging this show and on episode 6.  Every time I walk in the room she says, “This show is so crazy!  I can’t explain anything about it but you have to watch!”
    ken hale
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Thanks for the review. Adding to my long list of shows.  :)
    joejerryronnie
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Definitely worth investigating. Thanks for the heads up!

• CoryCory New Scotland
    Just saw a post on FB that the town (Matheson in the show) was filmed here (well a small, neighbouring town), so maybe I should watch it. 

Well, I'm going to right now...
    ken hale
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    OG comic reader checking in. Netflix wins this round. It's amazing. Perfect casting on Bode. That kid is going places.
    Elisaken hale
  • So happy to see other fans of the source material saying this is worth watching. Joe Hill is a very talented writer (I'm a big fan of his short stories and novels) and with his great writing combined with Gabriel Rodriguez's artwork, Locke & Key is amongst his best work to date. I was skeptical how it would turn out due the difficulties in translating such a story, but definitely going to check it out now.
    ken hale
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    I think I fell asleep watching episode 4 (not from boredom), and I found myself becoming pretty interested in it.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Look familar?
    Tomalexwhitham
  • It's such a great comic! I haven't started the show yet, but just remembered yesterday that Netflix was actually doing it and saw that it's out now. I'm really looking forward to it. Glad to hear that people seem to be liking it.
    Tomalexwhitham
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I have all the hardcovers, and most are signed by Joe Hill. He is a fantastic man and incredibly funny. With that said, I've heard lukewarm things about this. And I love the comic too much. So I think I'm just going to sit this one out. 
    ken hale
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    I have all the hardcovers, and most are signed by Joe Hill. He is a fantastic man and incredibly funny. With that said, I've heard lukewarm things about this. And I love the comic too much. So I think I'm just going to sit this one out. 
    Is the source material novels or comic books?  Or are there such things as hardcover comic books?
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Cory said:
    Is the source material novels or comic books?  Or are there such things as hardcover comic books?
    The source material is comic books. But yes, there are hardcover comics. Some publishers will collect a certain number of comics that have already been release and publish them again in a hardcover format. 
  • CecilyCecily Cincinnati
    I am most of the way through this show. I turned it on as background watching, but was hooked almost immediately.  I love a good YA that leans more into the 'adult' part.  It's making me think I should catch up on the graphic novels. 

I also hate to make this comparison but also thinks it's totally fair, it's got just a hint of Stephen King's DNA in it, just enough for me to say that if you like King's YA takes, Dreamcatcher for instance, I think you'll like this.

(Yes I know that the writer literally has King's DNA)
    Elisaken hale
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Cecily said:

(Yes I know that the writer literally has King's DNA)
    Hmm, does this mean he can make shadow babies?  :*

I'm going to keep my eyes open, and if I can get the opportunity to be an Extra (and it's summer) I'm going to wear my House Snow-Bald Move t-shirt.
    CecilyTeresa from Concord
  • CecilyCecily Cincinnati
    @Cory if you can accomplish this feat, I will give you a free club membership for a year.

Cory
  • I hit a wall with this after episode 4 that I’m just not going to be able to get through anymore. This is every bad network television show that my co-worker who has terrible taste in television tries to get me to watch. This is barely worthy of CW.
    ken hale
  • edited February 21
    I wanted to like this more than I did- the premise was interesting. I'm at the beginning of ep. 9 and still don't know the bad guy's motivation. (They want to do x, but why? What are the stakes if they are not stopped?)   
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Cecily said:
    @Cory if you can accomplish this feat, I will give you a free club membership for a year.

Accepted!
  • I watched it all, and it's a hot pile of garbage. The decisions the characters make are questionable, at best.  Bode was very annoying, and the mother needs to go to a parenting class. Also, no one seems to be surprised by all the supernatural shit going on. It's taken at face value nearly immediately, no questions or shock. 
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    I did finish but not with much enthusiasm. I found myself rolling my eyes way too many times. I’m not familiar with the source material and not sure that matters. But no season 2 for me. There’s too much good tv available now to recommend this. 
  • Damn, I'm still working my way through very (very) slowly, so it's disappointing to hear that the quality tails off.  I'm gonna stick with out for sentimental reasons, for sure.