The New Pope- Episode 5 Show/Podcast Discussion *SPOILERS*

calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
edited February 18 in The New Pope
I didn't see a thread for this episode so I figured I'd start one. Hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes @Cecily

I thought this was another good episode. I don't know what it is but The New Pope is the closest thing to The Leftovers I've seen since and it is really filling that void (maybe its the vagueness of events, the religious aspect). General thoughts from this week:

-I can't believe I was on edge listening to Jude Law breathe for 7 minutes. Riveting, truly

-John Paul III, like the people he interacts with, has me hanging on his every word. He may be the most eloquent speaker in a tv show I've seen. John Malkovich is crushing it

-I feel so bad for Esther. She, of all people, would benefit the most from Pius XIII waking up I feel. I do want to see a Pope-off before the season is over

-Like they mentioned on the pod, I am officially shipping JP3 and Sofia, but I know it won't/can't happen

-I think something fishy is going on with Tomas

-As I said in last weeks thread, this is my current favorite show and it truly just enjoy the experience of watching it. The art, music, mystery, absurdity. It all great.
Cecily

Comments

• MichelleMichelle California
    Shouldn’t this have been episode 5?  I just started watching tonight’s episode and it’s episode 6. 
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    Michelle said:
    Shouldn’t this have been episode 5?  I just started watching tonight’s episode and it’s episode 6. 
    Yes, you are correct. Thanks for pointing it out! I edited the title to avoid confusion. You'd think after 32 years I'd be able to perform basic counting  :D
    Michelle
  • I don't know what it was, but felt like something was missing from this episode, I wasn't as enthralled and I normally am, still good, but felt a little less, I don't know, cant put my finger on it.
  • CecilyCecily Cincinnati
    Thanks for starting the thread, @calebthrower!

Podcast here: http://baldmove.com/the-new-pope/s02e06/

Video version here: 

It's a weird one...

Michelle
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited February 18
    BroRad33 said:
    I don't know what it was, but felt like something was missing from this episode, I wasn't as enthralled and I normally am, still good, but felt a little less, I don't know, cant put my finger on it.
    I think it's just a slow burn as the buildup to the finale.  Just getting pieces set in place for something bigger.  I still thought it was enjoyable, although I still maintain that I'm not getting the importance or relevance of Ester's character this season.  I feel as though she *was* relevant in the first season to show that Lenny had (has?) the capacity to perform miracles.  Ok, fine - but why do we need her this season except to show her exploitation?  And if that's the point, aren't they making it with the nuns?  She just seems - and I hesitate to use this word but I can't think of another right now - unnecessary.

*Loved* the abbas getting her groove on at her desk.  I posted a vid capture to Bald Move's Twitter.  :)
    BroRad33